Hampered in His Plans Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I guess we'll find out if I.A. comes and visits us." she said, then turned and left the office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's thin." said D.A. Krasney. "It's circumstantial. I don't doubt your ability to prosecute it, but a good lawyer is going to put up a tough defense."

He was meeting with Paulina Patterson in his office, looking over the case she was preparing against Jimmy Lawson.

"Yes sir," said Paulina, "but it's a pretty strong circumstantial case. I've got no problem going with it."

"What about the Harris case?" Krasney asked.

"God, if we can't win that on the videotape evidence alone," replied Paulina, "then it's time to take down our shingles and find something else to do."

"Let me ask you something." said Krasney. "And answer me honestly: whose side are you on, mine or Stiles's?"

"None of the above." said Paulina flatly. "Mr. Krasney, I'm here to do my job and do it to the very best of my abilities. My loyalty is to the job and the Court, not to any person. I've never given you reason to question my loyalty to the Office, and whatever I think of you personally or you think of me, doesn't matter when it comes to Justice."

"I'll buy that." said Krasney. "The only reason I asked is to let you know that whomever you choose to support is okay with me, just as long as you don't let that affect the stellar job you've been doing. And that brings me to these other Fire Department cases... it looks like the judges are going to go with them. You did a good job with them, you and Commander Troy both, and I appreciate that." Paulina just nodded.

"There is one other thing." said Krasney. "How would you feel if Commander Troy gave this case to another A.D.A. and worked with him or her?"

"If that's what you and he want, I'll go with it." said Paulina. "But why would he or you do that?"

"I don't know," said Krasney, trying to show humor. "I heard a rumor that you might have a baby one day soon. We're going to have to get your colleagues up to speed, even if you're not gone long. And with Ms. Stiles out of the picture for the next few months...

"I'd think she'll never be back." said Paulina. "If I bitch-slapped you like she did, I'd expect to never see this side of the Courthouse again."

"Yes, I know." said Krasney. "But I also know that I handled that poorly, and I understand her frustration. She went through hell, and I understand that. And you can tell her if you see her that if I win in November, I'll be open to bringing her back to her old job."

Paulina was stunned, but said nothing about that. Instead she said "Okay, we'll see what Commander Troy wants to do with this Naples-Lawson case. But I really think it's going to take me to get it through..."

Part 23 - Coming To An End

Cindy came into her condo at 10:30pm, feeling exhausted. She'd spent the last couple of hours with Don, Teresa, Todd, Amy and Buddy. She had nearly burst into tears, seeing how weak Amy was, how the girl was barely able to pet her beloved dog.

To her shock, she saw Jenna sitting on the sofa, going through a sheaf of papers. "Hi Jenna, how are you doing?" she asked.

"Tired, but energized all the same." Jenna said. "We're starting to get some donations. By the way, I should be able to keep up the payments on the condo for a while."

"Don't stress on it." Cindy said. "You want a drink?"

"No, I've got way too much to do." Jenna said. "But are you sure you can handle the condo payments alone? After buying out Melina's half of the gym?"

"I'm going to be bringing in minority partners for the gym." Cindy said. "I'm already talking to two girls I was on the Miss Physical America circuit with."

"Good." said Jenna. "How is Amy doing?" When Cindy didn't answer, she looked up to to see tears rolling down Cindy's cheeks.

"She's not going to make it." Cindy said. "I've tried to hold out hope, but she's so weak now she won't survive an operation. The phone could ring any time..." She did not finish the sentence.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Jenna said. "That was so incredibly cruel." Cindy just nodded.

"By the way, I have a speech tomorrow at the Ladies Auxiliary Club." Jenna said. "Why don't you come? Having your public support would do wonders for the campaign."

"I..." Cindy said "I can't right now. There is so much going on..."

"Look." Jenna said. "I know you can't support me while you're in a Police role. But put on some civilian clothes and show up. Sit at the head table with me. You don't have to say anything."

"I know, but..." Cindy said. "Look, you've got your thing to do, and I've got mine--"

"Dammit, Cindy." Jenna said, looking up at Cindy. "Everyone's busy, but I need your support. This is going to be a tough, uphill battle. I thought I could count on you of all people to be there for me."

"Come on." Cindy said. "You know I'm into the politics thing. I'm supporting you, of course, but I can't make it to every speech. That's your thing."

Jenna sighed. "Look, are you in this with me, or not? It can't be halfway. And it's not just for me, its for the County."

"What?" Cindy said. "I do a hell of a lot for this County already."

"Yes, but we have to get Krasney out of there. You can do more--"

"What the hell?" Cindy gasped, whipped to anger, her restraint finally breaking. "I took fucking bullets for this County! I was lying in that Hospital nearly dead for this County! My best friend went into that dungeon after you, and I had to wait to see if either of you would come out alive! And now that same friend is trying to help a teen girl hold on to her life after her last chance was stolen from her, and my support is needed there far more than your God-damn political campaign! How dare you even suggest I'm doing less than I should!--- Oh my God..." Cindy was shaking. Jenna was just staring at her.

"I've... I've got to get some air." Cindy said.

"Fine, run away from it." Jenna said. "But don't pretend this is not a problem..."

"You fucking bitch!" Cindy gasped. She grabbed her coat and practically ran out of the condo.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got a call from the Duty Desk at 2:00am, Tuesday, January 19th. "Sir," said the Duty Sergeant, "this may be none of my business, but Captain Ross came in about 11:00pm and went to her office. I'm calling because she's still in there, and the light is not on."

"Uh, yeah, okay." I said, trying to wake up. "Yeah, you did right to call. I'm coming down there. If she comes out, ask her to wait there for me."

Getting to the Station, I came in through the south-side entrance from the gated employees lot. I turned left and walked down the hall, then left again to the anteroom of Cindy's office on the left, and Lt. Masters's office on the right.

I knocked on the door and heard a "Leave me alone!" from inside. That would not do, of course. I had a red crowbar, and expected I could stave off most of the blows.

"Now you know I'm not going to do that until I'm satisfied you are okay." I said, coming right on in. I saw Cindy in her chair behind her desk, not crying now but having been in the past few hours.

"Sorry, I thought it was the Duty Desk or something." Cindy said as I sat down in the chair at the side of her desk.

"So what's up?" I asked. "Amy?"

"That's some of it." Cindy said. "Jenna was at home tonight. She got insistent about me supporting her campaign, said something that set me off, and I went off on her. Called her a bitch, too. I should go apologize, but... I dunno..."

"Did she yell back?" I asked. "Did she put in a few good names in reply?"

"No." Cindy said, then said as if realizing it for the first time, "No, she... she was cold as ice the whole time. Almost like she was goading me. Saying I was running away. Just..."

"I understand." I said. "Well, you can talk to her tomorrow. But just between us, cousin-to-cousin, friend-to-friend... this relationship may not survive these next few months."

"I know." Cindy said. "That is what I was thinking about. I love her, I want to be with her... but at the same time I cannot support some of the things she's doing, especially this campaign."

"Think she was wrong to do it in the first place?" I asked.

"Yeah." she said. "She's not going to win, and she's doing it out of vindictiveness. She had planned to take it more slowly. Now... I don't know what she'll have after the Election. I don't see how she'll have a job here, the Town is pretty saturated with private lawyers."

"But more importantly," Cindy said, turning her ice blue eyes onto me, "if she moves away... well, I know I won't be going with her. My place is here... with you, Don. As long as you're our 'Sherlock', I am your 'Watson'."

"Yes, yes you are. And a whole lot more." I said, feeling moved by her words of loyalty. "And you've been through a lot." And I knew that she would have more to endure.

"Tell you what, when did you last eat?" I asked.

"Lunch yesterday." Cindy replied.

"Let's go to the Diner on University Avenue. On me." I said. "We'll solve all the world's problems after the sun comes. Right now, I'm hungry."

"You won't have to ask twice." Cindy said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello, Jimmy." I said to Jimmy Lawson, who was being brought into the Interrogation Room 1 at County Jail. His lawyer was also present. It was 9:30am, Tuesday morning.

"I want to talk to you about this situation, Jimmy--" I started.

"He's taken the Fifth." said the lawyer.

"I know." I said. "So I'll do the talking. Jimmy, I want you to understand that while the case is circumstantial, it's still strong. Very strong. If there is anything, anything at all, that you can tell your lawyer and have him relay to us that will shed more light on this case, or help establish your innocence, you need to tell him. I know you have a family, and they have nothing right now, not even you at home. Let me help you if it is in any way possible."

I got up to go, sliding my Police card over to the lawyer. "Anything you can give me that will help me. Off the record, hypotheticals, anything."

I left the room. Hope wasn't in strong supply right now.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And hope ended.

At around 10:00pm, I was in the den of the Mountain Nest, reading the Lawson case file again, and again. Laura was on the other sofa, the one against the wall.

I noticed Buddy come down the stairs. He went to the back door, and began whimpering. My eyes widened and I stood up, staring at the dog.

"Don, what is it?" Laura asked, seeing the look on my face. Buddy looked back at me, then at the door, whimpering again.

"Does he need to go out?" Laura asked.

"No." I said. I knew. I could feel it, too.

"Laura," I said, putting on my gunbelt and trenchcoat, "get Mom up here to take care of the kids, then come to the Hospital after me. I'm taking Buddy now." Laura's eyes widened as she began to understand.

With that, I collected Buddy and took him to my Police SUV. I drove somewhat like a maniac, burning the blue lights and siren. I blasted down University Avenue, then cut across traffic to the entrance of University Hospital, seeing striking EMTs on either side of the drive. I flew up the drive to the back parking lot, tires screeching as I pulled in.

Buddy was still whimpering. I grabbed him and ran into the hospital. The elevator was unbelievably slow. Running down the hall with Buddy, I saw Father Romano coming out of Amy's room.

"You're just in time, Commander." said the priest sadly. Then he added "I've just given Amy the Last Rites."

"Thank you, Father." I said. Steeling my resolve, I opened the door and went in.

Teresa was at Amy's right side, holding her hand. Todd was standing behind Teresa. The intermittent sound of the machine monitoring Amy's heartbeat showed the weakness.

I went to Amy's left side, and sat Buddy down next to her. The young girl was barely able to open her eyes.

"Buddy!" she whispered, a smile of joy forming on her face. Buddy settled down next to her, and she petted his head with her left hand, stroking down the back of his neck. "Buddy, you're here with me..."

With barely any light in her eyes, Amy looked up at me. "Will you... take care of Buddy for me?"

"Like my own family." I said. "Buddy will be fine."

"Thank... you..." the girl whispered. She looked back at her dog. "I love you, Buddy." Buddy looked at Amy, watching her eyes. For several interminable minutes, her hand stroked him, slowly... getting slower each time.

Teresa looked up. A bright light seemed to be filling the room, filling her eyes. She thought she saw her sister Alexis's form next to her. "You've done well, Sister." she thought she heard her sister say. "I'll take Amy home. Avenge her..."

Amy's hand was barely able to move as she petted her dog for the last time. Then her hand slipped down his side to the bed. Buddy had been looking at Amy, and now he looked up at me. It did not take the steady tone alarm of the heart monitor for either him or me to know.

A teen girl that had fought to take care of her dog, and then fought for her life, was finally at rest and peace, her last chance to live taken ruthlessly by unspeakable Evil.

Amy was gone.

To be continued.