Hampered in His Plans Ch. 06

Story Info
Conclusion; requisite shocking ending twist.
7.4k words
4.83
10.5k
3

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/02/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 29 - Good for the Soul

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the lovely redheaded reporterette from the front lawn of University Hospital, with the Hospital in the background, on Monday, January 25th. "Channel Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of several events over the weekend, including a car explosion at University Hospital, and the arrest of an alleged donated-organ snatcher!"

Bettina started: "The special edition Lamborghini that was destroyed in the explosion at the parking deck of University Hospital belonged to one Steven Moschel. Mr. Moschel was found to be running an unauthorized organ delivery service, and had forged paperwork. He is believed to have been paid well over $100,000 for stealing the organ which was meant for Amy Croyle, who died last week after another suitable organ could not be found. Moschel has reportedly confessed to his crimes, and may soon be transferred to State or Federal custody."

Bettina continued: "Moschel's legal status is somewhat in limbo, in that the SBI and FBI are fighting over jurisdiction of the car explosion, and this battle is spilling over into other areas. The SBI's Bureau of Firearms and Explosives, the SBI-BFE, began investigating the explosion last Saturday. However, the FBI's Anti-Terrorism Task Force, based in the City and led by Special Agent In Charge Dana Fox, claimed Federal jurisdiction. The SBI did not yield, with SBI Director and candidate for Governor Jack Lewis declaring that the FBI was violating State sovereignty and the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution in their egregious overreach. The SBI is expected to file a lawsuit in Federal Court today over the matter."

More Bettina: "Meanwhile, Deputy Police Chief Robert Brownlee received a heart transplant Friday night. The surgery was performed by nationally renowned cardiologist Dr. Richard Searles, who said that the surgery went very well, and that Robert Brownlee should recover fully.

"However, Commander Brownlee's status on the Police Force and in the Public Service Department is also in limbo, as Police Chief Sean Moynahan joined Sheriff Daniel Allgood in a report to the Council that Brownlee's position must be filled soon, that Brownlee is not entitled to that specific job, but could be assigned to an equivalent job anywhere within the Public Safety or Public Health Departments. The Town & County Council is asking for legal opinions, and will make a judgment soon."

As Bettina signed off, Martin Nash said "Doesn't seem right. Nice girl like Amy really needed that organ, and died when she didn't get it. Brownlee would've lived on without a transplant, did get one, and gets to walk to of the hospital."

"I wouldn't wish death even on Commander Brownlee." said Joanne Cummings. "But we did get the guy who stole Amy's organ, and her life."

"Yes." I said. "Yes we did." I was remembering the events of the weekend...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On the previous Saturday morning, Police Headquarters was a near-madhouse. The SBI and FBI were there. I kicked out the SBI, saying they had nothing to do with the organ theft case. Then I watched from the anteroom of Interrogation-1 with Chief Moynahan, Cindy, Teresa, FBI Agents Jack Muscone and Sandra Speer... while Steven Moschel was interrogated by Lt. Perlman and Detective Theo Washington. Sergeant Rudistan, no worse the wear from his stint guarding the parking lot, was in the room as the Uniformed presence.

Doctors had checked Moschel, and said that he appeared drunk. But blood tests came up clean for alcohol and drugs... well, drugs like marijuana, cocaine, and the like. They didn't know to look for traces of neurotoxins and pain-inducing chemicals created by the demonic brilliance of my late nephew Ned's mind.

At first, my guys got nowhere. Moschel took the Fifth, and his Gresham & Mason lawyer was being particularly belligerent. After a few minutes, I said "I'm going to go assist them with their inquiries, and shut that fucking lawyer up."

"Crowbar, are you sure?" asked Chief Moynahan, the only person who could stop me, but showed wisdom in not actually doing so.

"I'll just take a minute. No worries." I said. I opened the door to the Interrogation Room, and walked in... with my Tilley Hat on, the Police Badge restored underneath the Airborne wings.

"Lieutenant," I said levelly in the sudden dead quiet of the room, "is this suspect cooperating?"

"Not like I would like, sir." Tanya replied. My gray eyes did not waver from Moschel's. I could see the look of fear in his eyes, and his gaping face. I leaned over from behind Tanya, staring harder at Moschel.

"That's... unfortunate." I said quietly. "I hope he will reconsider his situation. Things could become quite... painful for him through this long, legal process."

"Now just a damn minute!" shouted the attorney. "Who the hell are you to come barging in here threatening my client----" But it was to my back, as I was walking out of the room already.

The transformation in Moschel was stunning. He not only looked scared, he began sweating and shaking. "Okay, I'll talk, I'll talk!" he gasped.

"What?!" cried out the lawyer "No! Keep your mouth shut, you've taken the Fifth! That was not an abrogation of his right to silence! Now let me have a moment with my client----"

"NO!" shouted Moschel. "I want to talk, I want to confess! You..." he said to the lawyer, "get out of here. Now." Turning back to Tanya he said "This guy no longer represents me. I want to talk."

"Well," said Tanya to the legal beagle. "I guess you can be on your way, Counselor. There's a nice diner on University Avenue on your way out of Town, if you'd like some breakfast."

"I.... I'm going to get to the bottom of this." snarled the lawyer. "I'm going to find out what happened here. Preserve the videotapes of this interrogation; I'll be subpoenaing them!"

"Mr. Moschel," said Tanya, "are you sure you do not want this man to represent you further? Would you like to call another lawyer to represent you?"

"I'm sure. I want to talk. I want to cooperate. I don't need another lawyer." said Moschel, still shaking.

Meanwhile, the anteroom was about to explode.

"What did you just do, Commander?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"Why, I just suggested he reconsider his situation." I said, with as much of an innocent look as I could put on my face.

"Sheesh," said Jack Muscone, "That is one hell of a reputation that you've developed. I'm jealous, for damn sure." Sandra Speer just grinned at that. Cindy refused to look in my direction.

Steven Moschel gave up everything. Within two hours, a Federal warrant to shut down Vauxhall was issued. Another warrant to investigate City & Counties Bank was issued. The FBI formally asked for the help of the TCPD's Data Branch, and I gave permission provided that I was also a part of the investigatory team with first knowledge of whatever they found. It took all of five seconds for the FBI DepDirector to agree.

There was one issue. As Detective David Krueger took over the interrogation of Moschel, Tanya came and got me. Going to I-1, I saw that Detective Julie Newton had also gone into the Interrogation Room. She was just listening, but staring at Moschel, and he seemed unsettled.

I knocked on the glass, stepped into the room, and with the crook of my finger made that universal sign to Julie that meant 'come here'. She came out.

"Detective Newton," I asked, once we were out of the anteroom and into the hallway. "Why were you in there?"

"I wanted to hear his stuff about the money laundering." said Julie. "There's likely some stuff I've run across in the past, so that information can help me, and I can help David, as well."

"I understand." I said. "But you can watch the tapes of the testimony. Don't go back in there until they're done. If you have some questions, pass them along to Krueger or Lt. Perlman, or make a list and I might can give you some time with Moschel after they're done, okay?"

Julie was not pleased, but she didn't have a choice. She agreed, somewhat perfunctorily, then headed down the hall to her office, her high heels clicking on the floor.

Part 30 - Odds And Ends

Back in the present, Monday, January 25th, I heard Theo Washington ask "What about Commander Brownlee returning, sir?"

"Months off, if it happens at all." I said. "Bettina's a bit behind the power curve; the Council has already gotten legal opinions and have resolved the matter. You'll see that this coming Monday... oh, that's embargoed, you did not hear a word of that."

The Detectives all grinned happily. They might not solve the Kennedy Assassination, but they knew what was up with that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy had not been at the coffee klatch; she was going to City Airport to pick up two friends. So I spent time getting paperwork done, and there was a hell of a lot of it. I then stepped into Paulina's office, which was next to my own, to inquire about something.

"Murder can't be among the charges, Don." said Paulina, in reply to my suggestion of tacking that on to Moschel's long list of charges.

"Not even murder in the commission of a felony?" I asked, still trying. "What about manslaughter?"

"No." said Paulina. "Look, he'll have an adequate defense in saying there was no guarantee this liver transplant would've saved Amy's life for sure. I talked to Dr. Searles and your wife. They both said it was a longshot at best."

Then Paulina dropped her voice and said "I don't want Teresa or Cindy to hear this, but both doctors said it was likely Amy would've died on the operating table, and if she'd survived that, it was better than 50/50 that she would've rejected the liver and would've died anyway." Seeing the sad look on my face, she said "I'm sorry."

"No, I understand, and you're right. On all counts." I said. "I had just hoped... for more."

"He won't be executed at Jacksonville State Prison." said Paulina. "But I suspect he's ultimately going to get what is coming to him... one way or another, in this life or another."

"We talked about 'Justice' the other day." I said. "I don't think there's any way that bastard can be administered proper Justice on this Earth. It will have to come from a Higher place." Paulina just nodded.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy asked me to come to Town Fitness Centers and then go to lunch with her and her friends. So I went over there. I went into the Co-ed side, which had a few older men working out. Most of the weekday business was in the morning and after normal working hours.

I saw Cindy talked to two women, and did a double take. They were both drop-dead gorgeous! A black-haired woman about Cindy's age was wearing a black dress and strappy high-heel sandals. Her body was magnificent, and well-toned on top of that. The other woman was older, with dirty blonde hair, full lips (a little too full, if you know what I mean), and wearing a blouse and Capri pants. Her legs were too good for those pants, I thought as I went up to them.

"Oh, Don, there you are." said Cindy. "Ladies, this is my boss as well as my cousin, Commander Don Troy. Don, this is Ariel and Wanda."

"Call me Don, please." I said, shaking hands with them in my flirtatious way. The younger black-haired woman was Ariel; she didn't really respond to me. The older woman was Wanda, her eyes sparkled as I took her hand in mine.

"Don," Cindy said, "Ariel and Wanda are looking to buy in to the gym. They were on the 'Miss Physical America' Tour with me."

"If all the men in this Town look like Don, here," said Wanda, who had a Southern accent to her voice, "it's a done deal for me."

"No doubt about that." said Ariel, in a friendly but more polite voice.

"How about we go to the Cattleman's Club for lunch?" I suggested. "My treat. And it'll definitely improve my reputation to be seen with three women as lovely as you are..."

Part 31 - End of the Line

Just as I got back from lunch, Patrolman Hicks came up to me in the hallway. "Commander, we've got a problem. EMTs are trying to block the entrance to University Hospital."

"Okay, head on over there, call in another couple of patrol cars." I said. I went to MCD, seeing Martin Nash at his desk. I asked if he had his armored vest, and he pulled it out of his desk drawer. We headed out.

I arrived at the Hospital in my Police SUV, Martin riding shotgun. I had deliberately gone south far enough to turn left and back up University Avenue, so that I was on the same side of the street as the drive to the Hospital. I came right up to the kerb, blue lights blazing.

"Stay in the car for a second." I told Martin, who was fastening the straps of his vest over his shirt and tie. I then got out, the red crowbar prominently visible. The EMTs did not attack me.

Across the street was a contingent of Fire Department personnel. They'd been occasionally staging counter-demonstrations, trying to goad the EMTs into something foolish or confrontational. Over the past few days and weeks, the EMTs had consolidated their efforts to the front of the Hospital, where they could be seen by passersby on the highway as well as anyone going to the Hospital. The 'Drive-By Media' had pretty much stopped covering the strike.

Assistant Fire Chief (AFC) William Jefferson almost got killed as he burst across the street, as motorists had to swerve to avoid hitting him. Undaunted, he ran up to me. "They blocked the ambulances, Troy!" he shouted exultantly. "We've got it on videotape, three times over! They blocked the drive and impeded an ambulance. Arrest them all! Clear their worthless asses out!"

"I'll handle it." I said, and turned to find the EMT leader.

"God damn it, Troy!" said the AFC, whose rank was the same as mine. "I said we've got them on tape breaking the law! Now I demand that you arrest them!"

"I said I would handle it." I replied, not rising to the bait.

"Fuck you! Who's side are you on?" snarled Jefferson. I turned on him.

"Fuck yourself, Jefferson!" I yelled, my hand tightly gripping the red crowbar. "I'm sure as hell not on your side! Now get back across the street, and leave me to do my job!"

"Or what?" Jefferson yelled. "You gonna hit me with that thing? Or arrest me?"

"Not a bad idea. I just might arrest you, right here in front of all those EMTs." I replied, squaring up to him.

Just then, two more cars flew in. One had a red lightbar and was a red car, and it was Fire Chief Quinlin's. The other one, a beige SUV with red, clear/white, and blue lightbars, contained Sheriff Daniel Allgood."

"What's going on here, William?" asked Quinlin.

"We've got video of those cocksuckers blocking an ambulance." said Jefferson. "And this bastard won't arrest them!"

"I haven't even had time to check anything out." I said, more to Daniel. "This bozo in the bad fitting uniform just ran at me and began yelling. He's disobeyed Police instructions to get back across the street, too." My implication was that an arrest was imminent.

"Patrick, get your guy across the street. Keep them all there." Sheriff Allgood said, authority in his voice. As Quinlin escorted a pouting, protesting Jefferson across the street, Daniel turned to me and said quietly "I'll just tell you now, Don. Put an end to all this. The Council is not going to tolerate much more. Either they or the Campus Police are going to swear out warrants to arrest these guys, so see what you can do before it gets uglier."

"Yes sir." I said. I walked towards the striking EMTs as Daniel went to secure the video evidence from the Fire Department personnel. I saw a KXTC van a little ways down the road, and a crew filming us. The EMTs were holding signs, but were clearly blocking the lane. I had Nash get out of the SUV and join me. I called out "Who's the leader here?"

"I am." said Wilbur James, coming up.

"Mr. James, you can't block ambulances." I said. "There could be a dying person inside one of them. I know that you and all your EMTs would never want to be responsible for an innocent person dying because they couldn't get to the help they need."

"I understand, Commander." said James. "But we're desperate here. We're dying, and that's not just saying words. My guys will have no jobs, no income, they'll never find work in this County and they can't afford to move, either. They are literally..." He didn't finish.

"You know I'm sympathetic." I said. "But I can't let you block ambulances nor access to the Hospital. Now the Fire Department bozos are saying they have video of your guys doing that, and breaking the law in the process. They want me to arrest every one of you, and I obviously don't want to do that. So have a word with your people, but let them know that I'm not leaving until they disperse from here, and from the Campus... and although I'm a patient man, when I get tired of it I'll have to start making arrests."

Wilbur James looked exhausted and totally defeated. He knew what that meant, but he did the right thing. "Okay guys, let's meet back at Union Hall. We can't stay here." There were voices beginning to be raised, and while it was probably Wilbur James that persuaded them, it might also have been the three Police cruisers that drove up that convinced them to stand down. Within fifteen minutes, they were all gone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back at Headquarters, I was called into the Chief's office. He had me sit down, then said "You did a great job handling that EMT situation today. The Fire Department guys have been harassing them for days now."

"But on the flip side," continued Moynahan, "the Sheriff said that tapes show the strikers blocking an ambulance, and when the ambulance tried to go around over the grass, the strikers ran to block it again. The Assistant Chief still wants the strikers arrested, but Chief Quinlin is going to lay down the hammer on his people and start squashing further hostilities."

"Good." I said.

"My second thing is that I don't know what happened with that Moschel guy, and I don't think I want to know." said Chief Moynahan. "But leave the 'cowboy law enforcement' to the Sheriff in the cowboy hat. You be that shining example of setting the example and solving the hard crimes that everyone loves you for being, if you get my drift."

"Yes sir." I said.

"So... Monday is set." said the Chief. "Anything else?"

"Yes sir." I said. "Some disciplines on Thursday, the 28th. Oh, by the way... do you still have friends in Midtown you can ask to check something for you? All my friends from down there are either in this Department or Nextdoor County now, and of course that one guy with the SBI Inspector General. I don't have anyone down there to talk to, anymore."

Moynahan grinned. "You hire us all away, then complain about it." he said. I chuckled. He then said "Yeah, I've still got contacts down there, what do you need?"

"The donor of Brownlee's new heart was a young man who had a motorcycle accident." I said. "I emailed you the details that I got, including his name. Maybe you can ask your friends down there to let you know what happened. If it seems like just an accident, maybe they can be persuaded look a little bit deeper for us?"