Harbinger Ch. 14

Story Info
Lyara captures a dragon.
2.8k words
4.7
16.2k
5
1

Part 14 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 06/08/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Nottsgrrl
Nottsgrrl
213 Followers

Farkas threw his trousers back on, but left off his shirt. He threw Lyara her clothes, which she pulled on quickly. It was safer to transform outside the city else they risk being attacked by the city guard. Hand in hand, they ran out of Jorrvaskr giggling like a pair of teenagers.

They walked out of the front gates of Whiterun, followed by strange glances from the guards. They headed off down the road in the direction of the tower where Lyara had fought a dragon shortly after her arrival in Whiterun, which had then led to the discovery of her Dragonborn ancestry.

The tower was ruined and no one was about so Farkas suggested it would be a good place to leave their clothes. He was out of his trousers in no time, and attempted to fold them, before leaving them on the wall. Lyara was just as quick in removing her trousers and shirt, and once the garment were off, she looked over at Farkas.

A cloud shifted and a ray of moonlight struck him, and Lyara just stared. He looked exquisite in that moment as the moonlight highlighted the slight grey silvering his beard and the way his eyes twinkled, excited about their impending run. The soft light showed off the definition in his muscles, and he looked like he had been carved by Dibella, the goddess of beauty herself. He was a simple man, yet complex in many ways. He always seemed to know exactly what to do or say to make her feel better.

"Are you ready?" he asked when he saw her looking at him.

"Yes, my love."

She watched as he lowered his head, his eyes closed momentarily in concentration. She saw the hair on his body start to darken and thicken. Lyara closed her eyes to do the same, but it was her wolf sensing the proximity of its mate that brought about her change. Once again, she felt the strange sensation of her limbs lengthening, and growing in height. Her naked and lithe legs popped and stretched until she was stood a digitigrade stance. A thick down of chestnut hair covered her lupine form.

In front of her was Farkas's wolf, still considerably taller than her, and covered in jet black fur. The beast's chest was broader and deeper than hers. He raised his long snout and sniffed the air, then looked at her with a whine that grew into a playful yip.

For the second time that evening, Farkas had his teeth around Lyara's neck. She pulled from his grip, and with a mischievous growl she ran off. Her flight triggered Farkas's natural instinct to chase, and loping on his two legs, he went after her.

Lyara could smell him catching her up, and so dropped to all fours to increase her speed. Racing through the Skyrim country side was just as exhilarating as Farkas had promised, and what she remembered from her first change. His larger gait made up the distance between, and he pounced on her hind quarters, bringing her down. He was going at such a pace, he could not stop and crashed into her, and the two of them tumbled in a mass of fur and claws.

They began to play fight, snapping at each other with massive jaws, but pulling short from doing actual harm. Lyara curled her lip in a growl as Farkas stalked around her, trying to get behind her.

Suddenly, there was a disturbance in a bush a short distance away. Lyara sniffed the air, and smelled a deer. It had stumbled through the forest, but when it caught the scent of the predators, it quickly about turned, and fled through the undergrowth.

Lyara licked her lips and whined at Farkas, who stood up, his large wolf tongue lolled out of his mouth. With a sharp bark, he told her to follow, and the two of them chased after the deer. It wasn't long before they caught up with the frightened animal, its eyes wide and white with fear. Lyara was driven by blood lust and ignored the creature's screams as Farkas and she sank their teeth and claws into its tender flesh.

Warm blood rushed over her tongue, as she felt the life force leave the animal. Farkas used his sharp teeth to open the animal's belly, to get at the tender flesh within. Steam rose from the entrails in the cold night air and they gorged themselves on the sweet meats.

Lyara felt full and happy, so she lay down next to the deer corpse and waited for her mate to finish eating. When he had done, he came over, and tenderly licked the blood off her muzzle as she whined in pleasure.

She could feel her wolf was satiated, and enough of her human self was now in control that she stood up, and after shaking herself a little, started running back towards the tower. Farkas loped alongside her occasionally running close enough to brush his cheek against her fur.

A little distance away from the tower, and Lyara stopped. The transformation back to a human was already underway, and so she waited for it to be over before walking the rest of the way.

By the time they got to the tower to retrieve their clothes, she was quite cold, and Farkas hurried her to get dressed. They made their way back towards the town, stopping by the river to wash the last of the deer blood from their faces.

They slept that night in their own home, Lyara on her side with Farkas spooned behind her, one arm under her head, the other draped over her ribs. She fell asleep with a smile on her face.

The next morning, she strapped herself into her armour while Farkas still slept. When he woke, she was already fully dressed.

"I am going to go speak with Jarl Balgruuf about using the dragon trap."

"Give me two minutes, and I will come with you," and he swung his long legs out of the bed.

"No, its okay. I can handle this. You rest up."

Farkas walked over to her, and used one hand to grab her chin gently and forced her to look at him.

"I know you can handle it. Evidently, there is very little you can't handle, but please ... allow me to pretend that I am not completely superfluous. I like being needed, it's a failing of mine."

Lyara laughed a little, and agreed.

He quickly dressed while she watched appreciatively, part of her regretting they couldn't go back to bed.

When they later walked into the Great Hall at Dragonsreach, the Jarl was sat on his throne listening to something that his advisor, Proventus, had to say. They stopped their discussion as soon as they saw her approach but Lyara was sure she had heard Ulfric's name mentioned.

"My Jarl," she said, bowing her head respectfully. "I came to ask a boon. I need your help to trap a dragon in your palace."

"I must have misheard you," the Jarl chuckled. "I thought you asked me to help you trap a dragon in my palace"

"You heard right," Lyara answered. She continued before he could protest. "You know I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important."

The Jarl spluttered in disbelief.

"What you are asking for is insane. You want me to let a dragon into the heart of my city?"

"It's the only way to stop the dragon attacks," she explained.

"There must be another way. The risk is too great."

Lyara looked at him earnestly, desperate for him to understand the seriousness of the situation. "The threat is worse than you know. Alduin has returned."

At the mention of the dragon god's name, she heard several of the guards in the room gasp.

"Alduin?" The Jarl whispered in awe. "The World-Eater himself? But ... how can we fight him? Doesn't his return mean the end of times?"

"I am Dragonborn, it is my destiny to stop him."

The Jarl scratched at his beard in thought.

"I don't know about such things, but I know the Greybeards summoned you. That's good enough for me. I want to help you Dragonborn, and I will. We're ready when you are."

Lyara bowed her head once again, in gratitude. She followed the Jarl up some stairs to the right of the throne, then through some large doors that led out to a large open air porch. High above their heads was a giant wooden brace that would come down over the neck of the dragon, trapping it.

The Jarl and Lyara explained to his guards what was going to happen. They were understandably nervous, and not happy about it, but they were loyal and did what they were told. It was all up to her now.

Lyara drew energy up from her core, and release a shout of the dragon's name.

"OH DAH VIING!"

Not sure if it had worked, she held her breath in anticipation. It was only a few minutes more, when she heard the sound of large wings beating in the clouds above.

With a deafening screech, Odahviing burst through the clouds and made to land on the porch area. He landed on the rim of the open air porch, and roared a challenge at the guards who all scattered for cover.

Farkas appeared at her side, his sword in his hand. They watched as the beast launched back into the air, and fearing an aerial assault, she used the Dragonrend shout to force him to land once again.

Once he was on the ground, she fired a couple of arrows to get the dragons attention. He looked directly at her and menacingly started to walk forwards, ignoring all the others. Lyara ran backwards, drawing the dragon to the back of the porch. Once he was in the right position, she heard the Jarl give the order to release the trap.

It came down fast, and landed directly over the dragon's neck. The beast thrashed about, trying to get free, and its tail caught a guard that didn't get out of the way quick enough.

The dragon started shouting in Dragon tongue, at first and then in common.

"Caught like a bear in a trap! You went to a great deal of trouble to put me in this humiliating position, Dragonborn."

Lyara wasn't surprised that the dragon knew who she was. Having spoken to both Paarthurnax and Alduin, she was not going to underestimate the intelligence of these ancient beings.

He lowered his huge head, so that his eye was level with Lyara.

"No doubt you want to know where to find Alduin?"

"I want to know where he is hiding," Lyara asked the dragon.

"An apt phrase. One reason I came to your call was to test the power of your Thu'um for myself. Many of us have been begun to question Alduin's lordship, whether his Thu'um was truly the strongest. "

"So where is he?"

"He has travelled to Sovngarde to regain his strength by devouring the souls of the mortal dead."

"How do I get there?"

"His door to Sovngarde is in a place known as Skuldafn, deep in the eastern mountains. Now that I have answered your questions, will you allow me to go free?"

Lyara considered things.

"There is one detail about Skuldafn I forgot to mention. You have the Thu'um of a Dovah, but without the wings of one, you will never reach Skuldafn. I could fly you there ... but not while imprisoned."

Lyara felt that what Odahviing told her was the truth. She would have to fly upon the dragon in order to reach the portal to Sovngarde. She wasn't ready to go yet. She didn't imagine there would be anywhere to pick up supplies so she needed to be prepared.

"I will consider things and come back to you, dragon." She turned around, and headed out of the porch.

Farkas had to stride quickly to keep up with Lyara. She marched silently out of Dragonsreach, heading straight for Jorrvaskr. Just before they went through the large wooden doors, Farkas grabbed her shoulder and spun her around.

"By the nine, Lyara. Say something. What are we going to do?"

"WE are going to do nothing. I am going to grab as many arrows as I can carry, then head back and fly that dragon to Skuldafn. I am doing this one alone, Farkas." There was an edge to her voice, and he was confused as to where it had come from.

"What? Don't think for a second you are going alone against Alduin." He responded angrily.

"I AM going alone Farkas, and that's final!" She shouted at him. When she saw the pain in his eyes, she regretted being so harsh, and continued, but much quieter this time.

"Don't you get it Farkas? I need to travel to the Underworld, to Sovngarde. This is a one way trip, and I am not taking anyone with me."

She pushed through the doors, leaving him stood on the step outside Jorrvaskr, his mouth open in shock.

She went to the small armoury store the Companions held, and fitted as many arrows as she could into her quiver. She tested the string on her bow. It was nice and tight. She unclipped the axe from her belt and ran a finger across the edge. Nice and sharp.

She thought about eating, but didn't really have the stomach for it, so shoved some dried meat into a pocket for later.

Feeling completely unprepared, but as ready as she was ever going to be, she headed back upstairs hoping to find Farkas and apologise ... and say goodbye.

When she got to the mead hall, she saw Farkas waiting by the main doors. Stood with him was Aela. As she approached, Aela turned to her.

"There is no point arguing with us, sister. Farkas has explained what you have been doing, and what you have yet to face, and not even the Divines could keep me from your side."

Lyara looked at Farkas. He smiled at her, his eyes sad but determined.

"I understand the consequences," he said softly. "But I promised to spend the rest of my life with you, and it is one I intend to keep. Even into the afterlife."

Lyara stepped towards him wordlessly, and let him put his large arms around her.

"If Farkas is going, then I insist on going also," came a voice behind her.

Lyara turned, a little surprised to see that the offer of help had come from Vilkas. He looked a little remorseful, and opened his mouth as if wanting to say more, but Lyara interrupted, and said that she would be glad of his company. He smiled awkwardly, and gratefully just nodded. Coming from Vilkas, that was almost a compliment.

"I am coming also," said Ria. Lyara could tell by the way the young Imperial woman looked at Vilkas, there would be no arguing with her. Lyara thought she had better get them all to Dragonsreach before anymore of the Companions volunteered.

Part of her felt incredibly guilty at allowing her friends to join her in certain death, but selfishly, part of her was happy to have them there. As they made their way through the door leading out to the porch in Dragonsreach, she heard the Companions gasp at the site of the dragon Odahviing.

Farkas was the only one that didn't utter some kind of expletive, but then he had faced Alduin by her side, and conversed with Paarthurnax. A dragon safely captured in a trap held no fear for him. Well, not much.

He watched his wife approach the dragon to strike the deal -- freedom for a ride. His chest swelled with the pride he felt for her at this moment.

When he first realised she was intending to leave him behind, his heart had broken. In hindsight, he was now able to feel awe at her bravery. She had been willing to go up against a god by herself. As much as he didn't relish the thought of his own demise, there was no way that he would have let her face this trial alone.

"Have you reconsidered my offer, Dovakin?"

"I will set you free if you promise to take me and my friends to Skuldafn," Lyara told the dragon.

"It is wise to recognise when you only have one choice," Odahviing replied in his slow and steady voice. "Alduin has proven he is unworthy to rule. I go my own way now. Free me, and I will carry you to Skuldafn."

Lyara turned to her left, and nodded at a guard who was stood near the lever that would release the trap. The trap lifted, and as soon as it did, Odahviing reared on his back legs and roared. For a moment, Lyara thought the dragon would renege on the deal and fly away, but he landed in front of her, and lowered his head.

"Are you ready to see the world as only a Dovah can?"

Nottsgrrl
Nottsgrrl
213 Followers