Harry Styles - Instant Attraction Ch. 13

Story Info
The sudden appearance of Niall Horan in Charley's life.
7.8k words
4.7
3k
0

Part 13 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/15/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

13. Niall

HARRYFour months later

When Charley had left him in the library, Harry's world had crashed down around him. The brilliant light she had been in his life suddenly winked out of existence and he was left in the dark once more.

Harry had stayed sitting there in the library for hours afterward, before finally being told by the librarian that it was closing time. As if in a dream, he'd called Ben to pick him up, feeling completely unable to drive. Numbly, he had dropped the keys Charley had given to him into Ben's hand and told him to do whatever he wanted with the car.

And then he'd locked himself in his home studio for three solid days to write a song, a song suddenly burning to get out of him. He'd poured all his love and tenderness for Charley into it, his confusion, his hopes and his fears. When he'd sent Sweet Creature to his production team and Mitch, they'd gone crazy over it. Almost no changes were made to the original demo, and he'd flown to London to record the last minute addition to his album.

Now, with the album launched and the press junket completed, Harry was performing his first show tonight in San Francisco. Sound check had already been completed, and now he was sitting nervously back stage after having hair, makeup and wardrobe all checked. With under an hour to his first ever performance of Harry Styles: Live On Tour, he was reflecting back on the manic last four months.

In a way, the structure and rigour of his strict schedule had been a blessing - he'd been too exhausted every day getting up at all hours of the morning to chat to radio announcers, talk show hosts, journalists and everything in between to think about Charley much. Harry had tried to lock her away in his mind, but she'd still managed to invade his thoughts every day.

The nights alone in hotel rooms had been difficult to begin with, the silence eating him up inside, until eventually exhaustion from the following weeks of interviews lulled him each night into a restless sleep.

Charley had been put on his 'no question' list, so he wouldn't be asked about her during interviews. One idiot had tried to bring her up in England, and his heart stuttered at her name before management cut them off. He'd found the interview on YouTube a couple days later and watched it back to hear her name, to watch his reaction to it, before realising that section had been cut.

It had been cut out of the video like she'd been cut out of his life. How fitting.


His mum had been calling him regularly, making sure he was eating well and taking care of himself. She had been upset when Harry had told her dully that Charley had broken up with him, how she'd said she couldn't handle him being away all the time, his fame. She'd soothed her son and told him sadly that he just needed to give her time. That who knows what would happen with the tour was over. But it didn't give him any hope. That was a whole year away. She would have moved on by then, he was sure. And a year was much too long to be apart from her.

"Ten minutes." Sarah, his drummer, stuck her head in his dressing room and grinned at him.

He smiled weakly back. "Thanks," he said. Something hit him in the shoulder. "Ow!" He looked down. It was a drum stick. Rolling his eyes, he lobbed it towards the now-empty doorway.

He grinned ruefully, and rubbed at the spot it had hit. Sarah knew how to snap him out of it. He'd been so morose and dark at the beginning of all of this, and the band, while not asking about it, knew that he and Charley had broken up. Even the media had reported their breakup after they hadn't been seen together again for a couple of months.

"Get up, Styles," he said out loud to himself, and reflexively pushed himself to stand up. Running his hands through his hair, he knew the second he stepped out on that stage, everything but the crowd would disappear. Everything but entertaining his fans, and giving them the best he had. He craved it, needed it. Each time he performed, he knew he would truly forget about Charley. Until you sing Sweet Creature, he thought, and pushed it to the back of his mind before he started wondering all over again if she'd listened to it, and what she thought of it, if she knew it was for her.

"Time to get out there," his tour manager poked his head through and gestured him out.

Blood pumping, Harry left the room, wiping his damp hands on his blue suede pants. His wardrobe had been spectacularly planned out with meticulous thought by his wardrobe team, and he loved it. The flares, the suits, the fabrics - it defined this tour, from the interviews to now. He could hear the crowd screaming now as they drew closer, and his blood throbbed in his veins.

And then the corridor ended abruptly at a door, and it was opened before him. The screams that hit him almost knocked him back, and without volition a grin spread across his face. This was what he needed. Suddenly he was raring to go, desperate to see the crowd filling the enormous, sold out stadium.

Standing behind the doors that would raise to release him, Harry and his band members exchanged a quick pep talk and hands in before they headed out to their positions. Soon, the refrain of his first song began to boom out in front of him, and his heart pounded in time with it. High anticipation flushed his cheeks, and every nerve-end was tingling.

The door raised, lights blinded him, the crowd exploded, and Harry stepped out. As his mind started to go blissfully blank with adrenalin, he started to sing.

***

CHARLEY

Charley checked her phone as it pinged. It was an Instagram notification from Harry Styles' official account. She picked it up and tapped on the notification, bringing the feed up. Greedily drinking in the photo, she smiled and read the caption:

Thank you, San Francisco.

And that was it. It was accompanied by a black and white photo of him on stage, mid-song, flares on and sweaty hair. He looked on fire. Charley double tapped on the photo to like it, then sighed and set it back down as she got back to work.

When she'd broken up with Harry, it had been a dark few weeks, but her resolution at what she was doing had pulled her through. Eventually, when she realised he wasn't going to try and contact her again, she decided it would be okay to check how his press circuit was going.

Signing up for Instagram and Twitter so she could follow his accounts, but it hadn't been enough as Harry didn't seem to manage those accounts himself much anymore. Seemed he was taking a leaf out of her book and limiting social media use. Ironic, then, that she had now joined them specifically to follow him.

When his album had been released, it had been a huge moment. Breathlessly, Charley had not only streamed the Spotify playlist immediately, but she'd gone and bought the actual CD, despite not having a CD player, and the record, too. If she could support him, in at least this one, small way, then she would.

His music was perfection. The songs were beautiful, folksy, and the lyrics were all so deep. She'd enjoyed all of them, but was surprised to see the name of a song Harry hadn't told her about. In one of their many discussions, he'd told her the list of songs that had made the final cut, but htis hadn't been one of them. It was called Sweet Creature, and she wondered at the lyrics. It was the most tender of the songs on the album, and in the subsequent interviews she had watched on YouTube, Harry hadn't said too much about it. Just that he got quite emotional singing it, and that it was his mum's favourite song. It was her favourite song, too. The first time she'd listened to it, she'd cried. It had reminded her of them. Could it have been about them?

No, Charley reminded herself. These were all recorded and ready to go before we even broke up. She wondered who it was for, then. A lot of his songs seemed to be apologies, messages, stories. Then some of them were just good fun. Like Kiwi. Harry had mentioned that this was just a crazy song that hadn't meant to be on there, but it was now one of his favourites. It didn't mean a damn thing, and that's what he loved about it. Charley had grinned, listening to it, imagining him performing it and going wild.

Charley had also found out that Harry had gone on to record studio videos for the two songs he'd recorded at Spotify Studios. Her heart ached as she watched them. He looked gorgeous, his voice was so beautiful, and seeing him sing Girl Crush, she couldn't help but remember how he'd sung it for her, half naked in their hotel suite in London.


The Carpool Karaoke with James Corden as part of his press junket had had her in stitches, despite the ache of wanting to be the one making him laugh. James was so funny and Harry had the best sense of humour. She knew exactly what would be happening behind the scenes and it had brought the first genuine smile to her face since breaking up with him.


Seeing him so much happier in that video than he had seemed in some of his more serious interviews had lightened her heart at the same time as breaking it apart again. He was moving on without her. He was doing what she'd wanted, but it was still bittersweet.

Taking a break from her computer, Charley stood up and stretched, stroking her growing grey kitten. "You're getting so big now, Harold," she said with a smile as the cat purred like a freight train and hopped down from her desk to follow her.

She'd thought of the name Harold instantly. Harry's personal pet peeve at being called a name that people often thought of as his actual name, had seemed fitting. It always made her smile. It was like having a little memory of Harry with her every time she called the cat's name.

The house was really taking shape, Charley thought as she walked into the newly opened-up living-kitchen area. The walls had been taken down, and it made it feel so much bigger and airier. The walls had all received a coat of white paint, and she'd had the old timber floors buffed and stained. They looked amazing.

Turning the kettle on, she fished a mug out and scooped some instant coffee into it, getting the milk out the fridge while she waited for it to boil.

From her back pocket, her phone dinged and vibrated. Charley pulled it out as she leaned back against the cabinets, and raised her eyebrows in surprise. It was Niall Horan.

Niall Horan: Hey Charley, can I come over rn? Need to escape paps.

Charley frowned in confusion and hesitated. What? This was out the blue.

CP: Hey Niall, of course

Perplexed, she shared her address with Niall and waited for a response. She got a simple thumbs up and nothing more.

Checking her appearance and doing a quick tidy of her bathroom and living room, Charley came back into the kitchen as the water boiled, mind ticking over.

Why was Niall contacting her of all people to hide out from the paps? What an odd request. She hadn't seen him since London, and, though she'd given him and Louis her number, had never heard from either of them. Frowning deeper, she poured the water and milk into her mug as she kept an ear out.

As she took her first sip of her coffee, the sound of a motorcycle engine came closer and closer before it rumbled to a stop outside her house. Opening her front door, she saw Niall getting off a Harley Davidson. Mouth ajar in surprise, she watched as he walked it down her driveway and stopped outside the garage next to her house. He gave her a friendly wave with his helmet still on, then urgently pointed at her garage door.

Understanding quickly, Charley snapped into action, tapping the button that opened the door, then closing it once he'd disappeared inside. And none too soon, either, apparently. Blasting down the street came two mopeds and a car, speeding past her house without a second glance. The paparazzi.

Shocked, she went out into the garage, finding Niall with his helmet off. He grinned at her and came to give her a huge hug which she reflexively accepted, still stunned at his appearance.

"You are an absolute gem lass," he said warmly in his Irish accent. "Thanks for this."

Charley let out a surprised laugh at the familiarity, stepping back as he released her.

"What made you even think to contact me?" She asked as she watched him set the helmet down on the bike and pull off his leather jacket.

He looked good - black skinny jeans and a navy blue T-shirt on under the jacket. His brown hair was cut trendily, but lacking any of the signature blonde he'd had while in One Direction.

Niall smiled at her and shrugged. "Harry told me you bought a place around here and you're the only one in LA I know that the paps wouldn't think to follow me to."

Harry had told him she'd bought this house? So he knew, then. Charley wasn't sure how she felt about that.

Clearing her throat, she took a step back and gestured to the door leading into her house. "The kettle's just boiled, want a coffee?"

"Love one," Niall smiled and followed, stooping to pet Harold as they entered the kitchen.

"Milk? Sugar?" Charley asked as she prepared another mug. She gave him a sidelong glance, finding it odd that Niall Horan was in her kitchen.

"Just milk, thanks," he said, smiling again as he took the proffered mug from her and Charley led him out to her living room where they sat.

There was a brief, awkward silence as Charley wondered what to do now, but Niall cleared his throat after a couple sips.

"Sorry about this, really," he said apologetically. "I really do appreciate it. I know we've only met the once, but Harry talked about you so much it feels like I know you quite well." Niall laughed and petted Harold again who'd hopped up on the couch next to him.

"It's fine, I visited your house in London, it's only fair I offer you the same," Charley grinned, feeling surprisingly at ease with the Irish pop star. The Harry comment made her wonder though. "You do know Harry and I broke up a few months ago, right?"

Niall nodded while taking another drink of his coffee. "Yeah, he was pretty cut up about it. It's kind of another reason why I thought I might be safe here for a while," he admitted ruefully. "I didn't think the paps would have your new address."

Charley blew out a breath and smiled tightly. "You're right there, they lost all interest as soon as they realised," she said quietly.

Niall looked at her cautiously. "Harry said you broke up with him."

Charley frowned. It seemed to be more of a question, though it was phrased as a statement. She wasn't sure she wanted to hash it out with Niall, so she just nodded.

He got the picture. "What's your cat's name?" He asked instead, changing the subject and scratching the grey kitten behind his ears. Harold was in heaven.

Charley coughed and in a strangled tone managed to mutter, "Uh, it's Harold." She scowled as Niall started to laugh.

"You're joking," he said as a huge grin plastered across his face. "You didn't!" Niall laughed loudly, slapping a hand on his knee in delight.

Charley shifted uncomfortably in her seat. This wasn't something she had anticipated. "In my defense, I hadn't really been expecting any of Harry's former bandmates to be making a house call," she said dryly.

Niall chuckled. "Fair enough. So he doesn't know then," he grinned as the cat rolled onto its back and asked for belly scratches. Traitor.

"No," she said shortly, hoping he'd be smart enough not to tell Harry without her asking him. "How has your tour been anyway? I loved your album Flicker," Charley attempted to shift the topic once more away from Harry.

"Oh thanks," Niall said as he looked towards her. "The American tour has been amazing, sold out everywhere. I have one show left here in LA before I have two months off. Then I head off again 'round Europe to finish it."

Charley nodded, she knew that already since she now followed all the One Direction members on social media. "I read that on your Twitter," she said somewhat mischievously into her coffee.

Niall lifted his eyebrows at that and tilted his head. "Oh really? Last time we spoke you didn't do social media. Something about living in a cupboard?"

Charley flushed lightly and grinned. "Yes, well, we all remember the trouble that got me into with the Cheryl and Liam thing," she muttered as Niall laughed again. Charley looked at him over her coffee and smiled. She was enjoying his company. He seemed to radiate happiness and lightness; it made him very easy to be around.

"I'll make sure to follow you back, tell me your handle," he grinned and Charley, seeing no harm in that, gave it to him. She was surprised when he immediately pulled his phone out, and tapped on the screen, and next second her phone dinged in her pocket. Picking it up she read the notification.

Twitter: NiallOfficial followed you

She shook her head ruefully as all of a sudden other Twitter follows started to flood her notifications.

"Sorry," Niall laughed, looking genuinely apologetic as her phone started to pick up speed with the notification alarms. "I forgot that happens." Charley rolled her eyes and quickly turned her Twitter notifications off. She hadn't realised either. Great. So much for remaining inconspicuous on social media.

"I should have known," she sighed and rolled her eyes with a smile. "Luckily I'm not using my real name otherwise things could have gotten awkward."

Niall chuckled as he pet Harold who had shifted onto his lap, then lifted his head to sniff the air in an exaggerated manner. "What's that amazing smell, by the way? I've been meaning to ask since we came inside."

Charley smiled. "Homemade lasagne." She hesitated. "Do you want to stay for dinner?" she suddenly blurted. "There's plenty."

Niall looked surprised, then pleased. "I'd be delighted," he agreed happily. "Thank you."

They wiled away the next couple hours chatting and laughing like long-lost friends. Charley couldn't believe how easy it was to talk to Niall, and found herself laughing more than she had in the last four months combined since breaking up with Harry.

Niall even helped to make the salad to go with the meal, juggling tomatoes with some proficiency, telling her that Harry had taught him how to do that. Charley hadn't known Harry could juggle, and murmured so to Niall.

"Oh yeah, he's bloody good at it, too," Niall said fondly as he tossed the now-prepared salad and put it on the table where Charley indicated. "He always joked about running away to the circus."

"Can you grab the cutlery out of the draw there?" Charley asked the Irishman as she pulled the lasagne from the oven, once again steering the conversation away from Harry.

"Er, this one?" He asked as he tapped a draw, looking at her uncertainly. When she smiled and nodded, he pulled it open and pulled out knives and forks.

Charley placed the piping hot dish in the middle of the dining table next to the salad bowl. Retrieving a bottle of red wine and two glasses, she handed them off to Niall to pour while she fetched a utensil to serve the lasagne with.

"Oh my God," Niall said around a mouthful of lasagne a few minutes later. He looked at her with exaggerated adoration.

Charley giggled, blowing on a piece of hers before tasting it.

"This. Is. The best lasagne. That I have ever had," Niall groaned as he shovelled more in.

Charley rolled her eyes as she stabbed some lettuce and tomato onto her fork, but was pleased. "It's my grandma's recipe," she said happily. "The bechamel sauce is the key."