He Saw His Future in Her Eyes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She recognized several of the other patrons, students at the university, but was pretty confident that they didn't recognize her. Heads turned as they entered; she mistakenly thought they were concentrating on her escort. He was a handsome man with a confident air.

They were seated and made their drink choices, deciding to share a bottle of wine.

"You are so incredibly beautiful; easily the most beautiful woman in the room," Jeff said with no preliminaries.

Moira caught herself before she made a self-deprecating response. "Thank you," she said.

And then she smiled. Moira had a great smile but there was a new factor in play. She hadn't yet accepted it but she was in love and that came though to every one in the room who saw her smile. Without a hint of makeup or jewelry, in a simple sun dress she was truly the most beautiful woman in the room. From Jeff's perspective, she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

He took the folded picture from his pocket and slid it across the table. She looked at him quizzically. He smiled and indicated that she should look at it.

She couldn't hide the shock of recognition; it was a very acceptable ink drawn picture of her. Anyone who knew her would see her in that picture.

"An artist too...I'm impressed! When did you...?"

"Fifteen years ago...seventh grade."

"I look like someone you knew...?"

"No, Moira, you don't look like anyone I've ever met. I drew that picture from a dream. I dreamed about you---very vividly---fifteen years before I met you. I didn't know your name but I knew your smile and your eyes and your hair..."

"I'm a tad confused."

"I'm not but I understand your confusion. Somehow when I was twelve years old, I had a dream about you; you looked exactly the way you do today. It wasn't the only time I saw you in a dream; there have been countless times.

"The Marine Corps let me out a few weeks early since I had completed my combat tour so that I could attend graduation. It would appear also that I have over the last few days and weeks made a series of decisions which ensured that I walked into Arnie's last night..."

"Two hours before the end of what would almost certainly been my last bartending stint---at least through the end of the semester?"

"Uh, huh."

"I'd already told Arnie and he understood; told him I'd come back after I graduated---and you would probably have already gone by then---wouldn't you?"

"My decision to move to the West Coast is a lot more certain than I indicated last night. I actually missed my undergraduate graduation ceremony---as well as high school---and really wanted to don a cap and gown at least once in my life; the orals are really a formality. It could have been handled over the phone. Where are you going to be next year, Moira?"

"I have two prime offers: here, of course, and Palo Alto. California is a long way from home and I don't know anyone on that side of the country so I'd pretty much decided to stay here."

"Uh, huh."

"And where are you going to be next year, Jeff?"

"Palo Alto."

"This is getting close to creepy."

"Yeah, I guess---but pretty neat, don't you think? I have two questions," he said.

"Okay."

"First! Do you believe in fate? Do you think it could be an accident that I walked into your bar last night a little before midnight?"

"I used to think fate and faith were terribly overrated but I may need to reexamine that concept. What's your next question?"

"I'm going to hold that one for a little while. Let's order---I'm starving!"

After they placed their orders, Jeff continued. "You've never had the same experience, have you?"

"Yes and no; I've never drawn a picture that looks like you...but...I've seen your eyes before....just your eyes. That's what hit me when you walked in last night...the eyes...I knew them like the back of my hand. I always look at a person's eyes first...always looking for those...your eyes...your unique and incredibly wonderful blue eyes."

From Jeff's perspective, politics, musical tastes---whatever---just didn't matter. He was thoroughly prepared to accept his fate. Moira at least wanted to find out if there really was a measure of compatibility between them. She probed; they discussed their world views. Neither adhered to dogmatic ideologies; they had solid basic values but both were open to discussion on the minor and major issues of life.

"So, when we have our first fight what should we fight about?"

"If it's quarterbacks, bass players and American novelists, it might well be spirited but hardly fatal. This is still weird. When we kissed in front of my apartment, I knew I never wanted to kiss another man. I may not have drawn your picture but I feel something with you that I can't describe, let alone understand. Falling in love was not part of my life plan at this stage---let alone considering a serious relationship. I'm a very practical girl---and you're pretty grounded yourself, Marine! So you tell me; where do we go from here?"

"Spend time together...convince ourselves that the magic is real...it is, of course..."

The powers that be, the gods, God, whatever or whoever, had pretty much done everything they could do and whatever supreme entity was looking down on Moira and Jeff had to be pleased. It had taken so many years to put together. What if Moira had gone to State? What if Jeff had not decided---unable to sleep due to jet lag---to go to Arnie's? Jeff had considered forgoing his graduation ceremony; he had a very lucrative offer on the opposite coast.

Something inexplicable had brought him back to the university. So often the plan never worked and the wrong man and the wrong woman ended up together...got married...had children---often with disastrous results.

Uh oh! Damn! Their trying to intellectualize love...they're attempting to be practical...oh dear! He's got it...she doesn't yet.

"Jeff, let's head back to my apartment," Moira said, as they got back in his truck.

"More probing, Moira?"

"No, not precisely what I had in mind. My last meaningful relationship was probably around the fourth grade. The last man I dated more than once...can't remember...my last date...can't remember...last sexual encounter other than self gratification...I remember and wish I didn't. I'm not a prude; I don't jump in bed with guys very often...well, ever. I'm rambling like an idiot! There is one issue we've avoided...sex. So let's go back to my crappy little apartment and..."

"Make love?"

"Very tactful!"

Phew! That was close! She has no idea...neither of them do! This deal is done!

Hours later as the two blissfully spent lovers lay in each other's arms in Moira Feeney's small apartment, there really weren't any more questions to be asked, or maybe only one.

"You love me?" she whispered.

"Beyond any doubt...today and forever."

"Yeah...me too. By the way...what was your second question---back at the restaurant?"

"Do you believe in love at first sight?"

"I didn't but I do now."

"Yeah...me too....always have...at least since seventh grade."

It was so difficult with billions of people to create the perfect serendipity. Humankind could not know---at least not have proof---that there really was only one other person on earth intended for them. Many believed it in their hearts but many scoffed at the idea. The odds of it working were astronomical; it failed more often than not. This time it had worked perfectly. The beauty of the plan was that once you put the two perfect matches together it was almost impossible to screw it up. The boss would be very pleased.

Edited by Techsan

12