He Would Never Be So Foolish...

Story Info
An embezzlement trial leads to love
5.2k words
4.5
18.3k
3
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He watched her across the courtroom as he had every day for the past few months. She sat rigidly straight with her hands folded primly in her lap. She was wearing a mulberry-colored suit that day and he noticed how the color of the suit brought out the pink in her cheeks. She was exquisitely beautiful he thought. He studied her aquiline features again, those piercing green eyes and the way she held her head. She always seemed so composed, how did a louse like him get a woman like her?

But now his attention was drawn to the front of the courtroom. The jurors had just filed back in and had taken their seats. The judge asked the rising foreman if they had come to a verdict and he replied they had. The jury foreman looked the defendant directly in the eyes. He wanted to see if this arrogant man showed any emotion when he read from the paper he was holding. "Guilty on all counts," he said loudly enough for all to hear.

The foreman noticed before he sat down that the defendant had shown no trace of emotion on his face, but paled considerably.

There were murmurs, gasps, and hugging going on in the courtroom. The people who had lost everything to this man's fraudulent schemes were jubilant. His associates were the ones who leaned together and began talking. He overheard what someone was saying right behind him, "Old Bill will get out of this, you just wait and see. Why the jails are so full of child molesters and murderers they will let him off with a slap on the wrist or a fine to pay. You just wait and see!" The man was interrupted by the gavel as it fell, "We'll have order in this court. Mr. Andrews," the judge addressed the defendant, "you have been found guilty on all charges of embezzlement. You will return to this court day after tomorrow for sentencing."

Bill Andrews. He stiffened his back and stood up straighter, how dare they find him guilty? He hadn't meant to get so deeply. It had started out by skimming just a little of the Trust money and reinvesting it on some stock that he had on good authority was about to shoot upwards in value. And it had. Within the space of two weeks Bill Andrews saw a profit of a half million dollars. After that he was hooked.

The next time he got an insider tip he skimmed a million dollars off the Trust. It would be only a short time before he could replace the money, pocket his profits and no one would be the wiser. Only this time it didn't turn out as expected. He lost. After that he frantically tried to recoup his losses only to be pulled in deeper and deeper. Finally he was caught.

Now they had found him guilty, it would mean the end of his career, the confiscation of his townhouse, the condo in Vale, his meticulously collected art, even the cars. Everything that had carefully crafted over the years to support his persona, everything that made him who he was, would be taken away.

He felt a hand on his arm and turned to see her standing there. He had forgotten about his wife of 20 years, she was nothing more than an afterthought to him. "Oh Bill, I'm so sorry," she started to say but he quickly silenced her, "Not now Millie. Tom and I have some planning to do." She simply stood there with tears brimming in her eyes and watched him walk out of the courtroom with Tom Gavin, his attorney.

After a few minutes she followed him to a private room where he and Tom were already in a heated discussion, "I don't see any grounds for an appeal, Bill. You've been caught with your hand in the cookie jar and there no way out of it. Our only hope is that you'll draw a suspended sentence or fined on Wednesday." Bill Andrews muttered something beneath his breath and turned to the window, "You know I'm not paying you to capitulate so readily, Tom".

Tom Gavin spoke up then, "The fact is, Bill, you probably won't be paying us at all. Even if you get a suspended sentence, everything you own will be forfeited. And your prospects for the future don't seem to bright either, I might add."

Millie had heard their voiced harden and stepped between them. She couldn't bear to see them fight. They had been friends for a long as she had known Bill, even back to their college days. "Now Bill, I'm sure Tom will think of something. Why don't we just go home and have a quiet dinner ..."

Bill spun on her becoming even more agitated. "Shut up you stupid bitch! You don't realize what is at stake here."

Millie was shocked, but had learned to excuse this kind of outburst from him when he was under pressure. She simply lowered her eyes and stepped back.

Tom Gavin couldn't help but feel sorry for Millie. She often felt the brunt of Bill's anger, he just didn't know why she took it. He laid his hand on her shoulder and gave her an understanding smile the looked at Bill, "Why don't we get together tomorrow morning. I'll see if there is any basis for appeals and we'll go over them at that time."

Tom was gathering up his briefcase and walking toward the door when he stopped and said, "But you'd better make plans for Millie just in case things don't work out." And with that he was gone leaving the two of them in strained silence.

Bill ran his fingers through his hair and paced back and forth, "We might as well go. Let's leave by the back entrance, I'm in no mood for reporters."

Bill got home and immediately went to the bar and poured himself 3 fingers of scotch. It was the first of many drinks that night. Even though Millie prepared dinner, a steak with baked potatoes and a salad, he wouldn't eat, but just kept staring out the window only to move when he wanted another drink.

Finally she decided to approach him, "Bill, if you get sent to prison, what will I do?"

Bill suddenly turned on her, grasping for someone to blame other than himself for his present mess,"I don't give a damn what you do! Most of this mess is your fault anyway, always wanting. Do you have any idea how much money you've cost me over these last 20 years?" Noticing her look of confusion he added, "No, I didn't think so! The jewelry, the car, the membership at the country club ... I've spent a fucking fortune on you over the years. I don't care what you do or where you go anymore, in fact I want a divorce. Yes, that's just what I want and I'm telling Tom Gavin tomorrow to draw up the papers."

He spun around and threw the glass against the wall, grabbed his coat and stormed out slamming the door as he left. In his mind Millie was to blame for all of his troubles.

She stood rooted to the spot. She was used to Bill's outbursts but he had gone too far this time. She had known for quite some time that she was just another of his 'props', just someone to hang on his arm or play the perfect hostess at their parties. She didn't care about the jewelry or cars, she would have given it all for a loving husband.

She crossed over to where the shattered crystal glass lay and stooped to pick it up. Without emotion she picked up the shards of glass and went to get a towel to wipe up. Then she turned out the lights and went to get ready for bed.

If he was serious this time she would grant him the divorce. She looked in the bathroom mirror and was shocked by what she saw. It wasn't her physical appearance that shocked her, she was still pretty and slim, but a mere shadow of what she once was. When had it all started? She supposed it had crept up on her a little at a time. She had buried her emotions for so long she couldn't even cry. She took off her make-up, put on a night gown and went to crawl into their king sized bed alone.

Alone. That wasn't such a bad thing, she thought as she drifted off to sleep.

Bill had stormed out not thinking of where he'd go. He stood in front of the building and made another decision. He'd go to Majorie's apartment. Marjorie had been his mistress for some time until she finally broke it off because Bill wouldn't divorce Millie and marry her. Well, that little obstacle had just been taken care of ...

He hailed a taxi and was knocking on her door within 10 minutes. When she answered the door she just stood there one hand on her hip, one eyebrow arched up. "Well, look what the cat drug in," she said sarcastically.

Bill smiled sheepishly, "I finally did it, baby. I finally told Millie I wanted a divorce."

"Why would I want you now?" she countered turning to walk away but leaving the door open for him.

"Oh baby, you know me ... I don't leave anything to chance. I'm not broke, I've managed to stash away some money in a Swiss bank account. Marry me when the divorce is final and we can go to live in Europe or England. I can start all over again. You'll see, I'll be top of the heap again in no time."

Marjorie stopped at the mention of the Swiss bank account. In her mercenary little heart she knew that Bill didn't love her, but the money more than made up for it. She simply turned, smiled and opened her arms to him.

The next afternoon there was a knock at the door. Millie went to answer it and was surprised to see Tom Gavin standing there. "I'm sorry to intrude like this Millie, but I thought it was the least I could do to bring these in person," he looked like a schoolboy delivering a note from his teacher.

Millie opened the document, "Well, he's really done it. I didn't think he would. He really wants a divorce."

"I don't know what's gotten into Bill. He came storming into my office this morning not even talking about an appeal, just demanding that I get these papers drawn up immediately. You're the best thing that ever happened to him, I don't know what he's thinking," he said almost apologetically.

Millie put the papers down on the table, "It really doesn't matter anymore, Tom. Tomorrow after the sentencing hearing I'll sign the papers."

Tom Gavin looked at her with sorrow in his eyes, "You know, Millie, no matter what the sentence is tomorrow, you're going to have to find another place to live. The only thing the courts will allow you is your personal belongings."

Millie smiled at him, "I know, Tom. I've been preparing for this eventuality for some time."

"Well, let me know if I can do anything for you", Tom took her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. It was hard for him not to pull her into his arms, to hold her and protect her. Tom Gavin had been in love with his friend's wife for years.

"I'll see you in court tomorrow. It's something I want to do since I've been there every day it would seem odd if I didn't see it all the way through," Millie hooked her arm through his as she walked him to the door.

The next day he waited for her on the courthouse steps. His eyes roamed the people on the street until he saw her. There she was wearing a smart silk dress and jacket in jade that followed her every movement. Her chestnut hair was pulled back in a simple chignon and the only jewelry she wore were earrings.

He let her pass by and then followed her into the courtroom. He detected a moment's hesitation and then saw the reason. In the chair she had sat in directly behind her husband for the last 6 months sat another woman. Bill Andrews was leaning over the bar laughing at something and holding her hand. He quickly observed Millie's entrance into the courtroom and bent over to kiss the woman.

Millie stopped and watched the display with no emotion showing on her face and then settled into a seat directly off the aisle.

He followed her in and sat, as usual, on the opposite side of the gallery. He kept glancing at Millie to see if she were upset and was surprised to see that she was as calm and serene as she had been throughout the whole trial.

The judge finally came in and sat down. He shuffled papers in front of him knowing it would add to the dramatics of the proceedings.

Finally he looked at Bill, "Mr. Andrews, I have reviewed your case and find no cause for leniency. You purposely and willfully destroyed the lives of so many people who could least afford it. Persons on fixed incomes who had counted on the proceeds from the Trust to aid in their retirement.

I am going to make an example of you, Mr. Andrews, in the hopes that others who might have similar ideas are dissuaded. I hereby sentence you to a period of no less than 7 and no more than 15 years to be served in State Prison."

There was a an outburst of applause from the people sitting in the gallery who had lost their life's savings, and while the judge was striking his gavel to bring order, no one seemed to notice the flashy woman sitting behind Bill Andrews get up and quickly walk from the courtroom. No one, that is, except for Millie and himself.

Millie sat still while the courtroom cleared out. She then got up, looked at Bill one last time, and left.

She stopped on the steps and fumbled in her purse for something. She pulled out a cigarette pack and realizing it was empty crushed it.

He took this opportunity to approach her, "Here, would you like one of mine?"

She looked up at him wary at first then taking the offered cigarette said, "Thank you."

He lit it for her and then said, "By the way, my name is Paul Sturgess. I've noticed you in court. My aunt lost a lot of money and I promised her I'd attend and tell her about the trial."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Sturgess, but if you think there's any money left to repay her, your mistaken," she crushed out her cigarette and started to walk off.

"No. Wait," he took two giant steps to catch up with her, putting his hand on her shoulder he said, "No. You misunderstood me. I'm not looking for any recompensation, I simply wanted to meet you."

She stopped at this, "Why?" was all she said.

"Well, because you were so contained throughout the whole trial, because you showed so much dignity, and because you're a beautiful woman."

"Look, let me buy you a cup of coffee to make up for my blunder." He didn't wait for an answer but steered her down the street and into a little coffee shop.

Unexpectedly Millie found herself talking to Paul Sturgess like they were old friends. After two cups of coffee though, she did feel like she should be going.

Not to let her escape so fast he asked, "So, what are you going to do now?"

"Well, I have to find someplace to live and a job and a good divorce attorney."

"Oh, I see. Well, I might not be able to help you with an apartment or a job, but I'm a pretty fair attorney. Here's my card," as he pulled a business card out of his jacket pocket and handed it to her, "if you don't have anyone else in mind, I'd be pleased to represent you."

"Why thank you Mr. Sturgess, perhaps I'll be in touch." She said as she slid out of the booth. "And thank you for the coffee."

Paul watched as she left the coffee shop and hailed a taxi. He suddenly realized that he would miss seeing her everyday and fervently hoped that he'd hear from her.

A week passed without Millie calling him, then one afternoon the phone rang and it was her. A huge smile filled his rugged face when she introduced herself. "Ah, Mrs. Andrews I thought perhaps you had retained another attorney to represent you. Let me see when I can make you an appointment," he wanted to say 'how about 10 minutes from now' but he didn't. "Yes, here we go. How about 11:00 tomorrow morning. Good. See you then."

He hung up the phone and threw both arms in the air, fists clenched like he had just won some race. An 11:00 meeting was not coincidence, he thought he'd invite her to lunch afterwards, sneaky but a guy had to take every advantage he could.

The next morning crawled by. He couldn't concentrate on any other project Finally his secretary came in and announced that Mrs. Andrews was here. Instead of asking her to show Millie in, he went into the reception area and led her to his office.

Millie took in his office. It was large, very large. On one side of the room there was a small conference table across from a sofa. The other side held a large mahogany desk, a large swivel chair, and two occasional chairs. On two sides there were floor to ceiling glass, affording a wondrous view of the city.

"This doesn't look like the office of a simple divorce attorney", Mollie said as she approached the desk.

"Let's sit over here," he said indicating the sofa and effectively avoiding the subject, "I think we'll be more comfortable there."

While Millie took a seat on the sofa, Paul gathered a pad and pen from his desk and sat down at the conference table. He turned to her and said, "Well, let's see how I can help you."

Millie smiled and said, "It is just going to be a simple, uncontested divorce. There are no children and our property has been seized, so it should be pretty straight forward."

Paul grinned and said, "It sounds like it, but there are some things I need to check into for you, tax matters and the like. Have you got the papers your husband had you served with?"

Millie pulled them from her purse and handed them to Paul and he briefly looked them over, "You're right. It looks pretty uncomplicated."

"About your fees ..." Mollie started to say.

"We won't worry about them for now, Mrs. Andrews. Mrs. Andrews? Have you thought about taking your maiden name back?"

"No I haven't. I'll have to have a little bit of time to think about it."

"Well, why don't I take you out to lunch and you can let me know when we get back."

Again, before she could say anything he had extended his hand to her to help her from the couch and steered her out the door.

Looking back on it now, Paul saw that it was the right thing to do.

He soon was taking her to dinner, the symphony, museums, and even to the lake on a picnic. All this time being the perfect gentleman, a kiss on the cheek was the only physical contact they had had so far.

The day the divorce became final he sent Millie flowers with a card that said "I'll pick you up at 8:00 for a night you won't forget".

Millie was feeling a little depressed until she got the flowers and read Paul's note. She was growing quiet fond of Paul and wondered what he had in mind.

That night he was nervous when he knocked on her door. His heart leapt in his chest when he she opened the door. She was dressed in a simple coral dress, it had a wide scooped neckline barely covering her shoulders. As his eyes moved from the top of her head downward he noticed the straight skirt was slightly above her knees and on her feet were 3" beige heels.

"My God, you look beautiful tonight."

She gave him a dazzling smile, "Now what about this night I won't forget?"

Trying to look mysterious he said, "You'll just have to wait and find out."

She had never been to his home so she had no idea where they were headed when she got in his car. An hour outside the city they finally pulled up the circular drive way, a large house done in the Federal Style came into view. He stopped the car in front of the steps and went around to open the door for her. She looked at him quizzically and accepted his hand as he led her up the steps. He opened the door for her and swept his arm indicating she enter.

It was beautiful with the grand foyer splitting the lower level into two parts. It was filled with period antiques and she noticed the artwork on the walls as Paul led her through the foyer to a set of French doors leading out onto a patio.

There she was met with a million twinkling lights and a table set for two. He pulled out the chair for her and she sat down. When he was seated she said, "What if the owner comes home and finds us here?"

Paul chuckled, "This is my home. I don't often stay here because it's so large. I prefer my apartment in the city."

"Okay, it's time to fess up", Mollie said, "you're not just a divorce lawyer are you?"

Paul leaned against one of the arms of the chair and cupped his chin, "No, I'm not. I'm the senior partner in the law firm. We deal primarily with corporate clients. I'm afraid I used my privileges there to act as your divorce attorney."

12