Heart Attack

Story Info
Don't let this happen to you.
904 words
4.06
15.9k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bassbelly
bassbelly
772 Followers

This is a true account of my first medical disaster. Maybe the descriptions will help one of you.


*

I was up at five in the morning, cooked a little breakfast and prepared for the forty five minute drive to SR, where I was employed as an avionics engineer. I had had a fight with my wife that morning, so I didn't even get my usual goodbye smooch before hitting the traffic.

I had some heartburn when I woke up, but I ignored it because this was not an unusual occurrence. As I got into my truck, my arms started to ache. Further down the road, I started to feel really bad. I decided to stop by the first hospital emergency room, get checked out, possibly be fed an antacid and sent on my way.

The only reason I had decided to stop was that a fellow worker had just returned after recovering from heart attack and he told me that the thing that really got his attention was the ache in his arms.

By the time I found a hospital, my arms were on fire and my chest was feeling really bad. I stopped into the emergency room. The doctor there took one look at me and ran some immediate tests. When they put the IV in my arm and took off my pants, I knew it wasn't going to be a casual visit.

"You are having a heart attack," the doctor informed me. "Who can we notify?"

"Well, I've got to get my car back home. I'll tell my wife and she can bring me back."

"Not a chance! You won't make it home. This is serious. If we don't get you to a cardiac care unit immediately, you are going to die."

I gave the doctor my phone number and they called my wife. They also called an ambulance because I had managed to land at one of the few Buffalo area hospitals that didn't have a cardiac care unit.

My wife and the ambulance arrived at the same time. I gave her my wallet and the keys to my truck. This time, she kissed me goodbye and whispered a quiet, "I'm sorry."

They loaded me into the ambulance and we shot down the road to Buffalo General at eighty miles and hour.

I was feeling grimmer by the minute. An emergency medical tech gave me a clip board. "You'll have to sign this so we can give treatment."

"What happens if I don't?' I asked.

"Then you're probably not going to make it to the hospital."

I quickly signed the paper and vowed to stop being a wise guy. I saw the EMT stick a needle into the IV and then the lights went out. I floated on a purple cloud. Strange dreams danced in my psyche. I wondered if I was dead.

A bright light woke me up. I was flat on my back. I looked around. My mother and my sister were standing beside the bed. What were they doing here? They live in Spokane Washington, two thousand miles to the west. I heard my sister yell, "Doctor!" And then the lights went out again.

I was back on my cloud. I wanted desperately to stay there. It was so peaceful and quiet. Much of my life had been spent in unusually noisy environments. This was really nice.

"Sir? Sir?" An unfamiliar voice pierced my reverie. "Come on Ed, wake up!"

I didn't want to wake up. I wanted to go back to my cloud. I opened my eyes. A nurse was bending over me. My wife was crying quietly in the background.

"Where am I?"

"You are in the cardiac care unit at Buffalo General Hospital," the nurse replied.

"How long have I been here?" The expected answer was two or three days.

"You have been here for thirty eight days."

I didn't believe it. My wife was by my side holding my hand. I could see my mother and sister waiting a short distance away.

"What the hell happened?"

"You had a major heart attack. You were almost dead when you got here. The EMTs saved your life."

Heart attack? Me? I couldn't believe it. I wasn't the heart attack type. I was only forty four years old. I thought heart attacks were reserved for senior citizens.

"Please try to stay awake until the doctors get here," the nurse requested. She went back to the monitoring station.

My mother and sister approached my bed. I tried to hug them, but my arms didn't work. They both kissed me. I could see they were all crying.

"What are you guys crying about?"

My sister answered, "You were so close to death three different times that the doctors told us you wouldn't make it. We've been waiting for something to happen for more than a month. We were sure you were going to die."

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry I argued with you. I must have caused you to have the attack," my wife cried softly into my ear.

"I'm sure you didn't cause it," I whispered. The lights went out again just as the doctors descended on me. This time, there wasn't any cloud. I was disappointed.

I would eventually recover from this disaster. We would move on to North Carolina and eventually California. There, I would suffer another major attack. But that's a different story.

bassbelly
bassbelly
772 Followers