Heart of Stone Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't think that'll take very long. That lotion and your hands are a magical combination." She smiled a little.

"I worried you would fear me." He said. His hand lingering on her thigh.

"No." She opened her eyes and smiled up at him. "You're the best thing that ever happened to me."

He kissed her, his lips lingering on hers for a long, luxurious moment. "And I feel the same about you, child."

He lay down behind her, one arm resting just under her breasts. Mary closed her eyes and left herself drift off to sleep wrapped in a perfect mix of Aiden's warm, spicy scent, and the sweet lavender aroma.

*~*~*~*~*~*

For most of the first day of her enforced rest, Mary slept. She hadn't realized how hard she'd been pushing herself to keep up with everyone else until she wasn't doing it anymore. She was almost glad that no one but Nigel had stopped in to see how she was during the day. In the evening, Aiden spent several hours with her before going out to hunt, and after he returned to apply more of the lavender lotion to her skin. It had the same affect as the night before, and she was asleep again before she knew it.

The next morning she felt much better than she had in quite awhile. She got up, called down to the kitchen for breakfast, dressed in comfy sweats, then stretched out on top of the covers with a book. She was surprised when Robbie came in along with Maureen and her breakfast tray.

"You're looking well-rested." He smiled.

"Thanks. I'm feeling better than I was the other night." She said. When Maureen finished setting up the food and coffee on a small table in the sitting room, she left.

"I'm glad to hear it." He said.

She moved to get up and he offered his hand. Mary took it gratefully. He held her arm while she sat at the table as well.

"You know I stopped in yesterday around this time and you were sleeping." He said.

"You should have woke me up." Mary started with the sausages on the plate. They were overdone, just the way she liked them.

"I most certainly should not have." He said, and poured himself some coffee. "You were sleeping and that's exactly what you needed. I don't think we should have pushed you so hard to wake Cerex so soon after the other attempt. It caused you to draw too heavily on your energy reserves."

"How is Cerex? Has she met everyone yet?" Mary asked.

He took a sip of his coffee. "She has, though as to how she is, I'm not sure how to answer that. She's still terrified, although that seems to be starting to ease. Esme never leaves her side. She's started to learn a bit of English as well. Hopefully that will help her feel more at ease."

Mary watched him closely. "There's more to that story."

He smiled. "You know me too well. Andy and his little group think that this is some sort of a sign that the gargoyles are too barbaric to live in today's world. The others reminded him that what Cerex suffered was an aberration and that there are humans who do the same kinds of unspeakable things to their partners."

"Have you talked with Aiden?" Mary asked.

"Yes, that first night. I don't think I've ever seen him so troubled."

"I know he's worried about what the others think." Mary said. She finished the sausages and moved on to the banana. It was the first time she'd been able to stomach fruit in nearly a week.

"And he's worried about you." Robbie said.

"I wish he wouldn't worry about me. There's so much else on his plate." Mary stroked her swollen stomach.

"But you and the baby are the only ones that he loves." Robbie smiled a little. Mary looked up at him with a weak smile. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"All of this happened at the wrong time." Mary said. Her voice cracked as she fought back tears. "It was the wrong time to get pregnant, now if something doesn't happen to end all this..." She couldn't finish the thought. Speaking it out loud would only make it seem worse.

He took her hand. "Everything happened at the right time. If the timing wasn't right, it simply wouldn't have happened. That's how life is."

*~*~*~*~*~*

After Robbie left, Mary stretched out in bed to read, but promptly fell asleep. She woke about an hour before dinner when Nigel knocked. He seemed thrilled to find her resting and looking so refreshed. Ramona, Caroline and Veronica had dinner with her that evening. She got to hear all about Ramona's sister's third marriage breaking up and Veronica's granddaughter's desire for a belly button piercing. It was a wonderful frivolous conversation that almost made her feel as if everything in the world was normal. Mary had an strange feeling that it wasn't though. She couldn't explain why she felt that way, or even what the feeling might mean, but she couldn't shake it either.

After they left, Esme and Cerex came in. Esme wanted to check on Mary and drop off a fresh supply of the lavender lotion. Cerex came along because she didn't feel comfortable without the older female. Mary was only too happy to let Cerex practice her limited English and to teach her a few new words as well.

The next day was very much the same. People dropped by to visit, she napped and then Aiden came in to spend time with her until she fell asleep for the night. In all, it was almost idyllically peaceful, and a time that Mary was almost sorry to see end. The feeling of something brewing was still with her though.

The next few days were almost as calm. Mary spent time downstairs, but she still disappeared to nap when she needed to, and she still watched the crowd when she got a free moment. There was something different about them now. To Mary it didn't look like there were as many as before, and all of them weren't perfectly still like before either. Every so often she would catch a flicker of movement from one of them. Those movements were few and far between though. She was almost able to convince herself that she hadn't seen anything at all. Almost.

The feeling that something was changing clung to her, surprising her in quiet moments with its intensity and staying just on the edges of her consciousness like an itchy mosquito bite that could be ignored. Aiden noticed her unease and did his best to help her relax before bed. It worked for awhile. She was able to sleep for about four hours before she woke up again. By that time she had to go to the bathroom anyway. Convincing herself that a cup of tea would be relaxing was a fairly easy step.

In the quiet downstairs hall, Mary noticed that there was a soft light drifting out from the the library. The quality of the light made her think it was most likely from her computer. She smiled a little, figuring it was probably Meris. She made her tea and then went in to join him.

She stood in the doorway for a minute, not wanting to startle him. His brows were drawn together, his eyes were intent on the screen. "You look more comfortable with that." She said softly.

"Z'tavick, are you familiar with Twitter?" He asked, not looking up.

"I've heard of it, I don't have an account though. Why?" She walked closer and set her tea on the desk.

"I do." He said, looking up at her for the first time.

"You do?" Mary couldn't keep the surprise out of her voice.

He moved a chair so that she could sit. "I do not post anything, I did not think it would be wise. I do follow others though."

"Who?" Mary asked curiously.

"It began with the news agencies you directed me to. Then celebrities they mentioned often. Eventually I began to follow ordinary people. I wanted to know what people do, what they think about, how they experience their lives. Right now this is the only way I can do that." He spoke quickly, as if she were going to reprimand him.

Mary smiled. "I think that's a really good idea actually."

A smile whispered across his features. "Thank you, Z'tavick."

"You're still upset though." She said.

He nodded. "It seems this house, and the crowd surrounding it has become a topic of speculation and discussion."

"What?" Mary's eyes widened, bells started ringing in her head. That's why the crowd seemed different. "What are they saying?"

"At first it was simply a curiosity, but that sparked further interest in others. Now speculation is rampant about what draws the crowd, what is going on in here, and why no one can get past your boundaries." He said. "Tonight I found that there is an extensive photo gallery on another website." He turned the computer a little and Mary clicked on the series of photos.

Most of them just showed the exterior of the house in the daylight. They were all from too far away to show any detail of what might be happening inside. Someone did get a long distance shot of the gargoyles when they were resting. Mary began to click through more quickly. There was a night shot that showed some the empty blocks where an awakened gargoyle had left for the nighttime hours. It was only sheer luck someone hadn't captured one of them leaving or returning. The second to last photo made her stop.

It was a picture of the gates and crowd beyond. Her mouth went dry.

"This was taken from the house." Mary said. She started to get up and lost her balance. Meris took her hand and steadied her while she stood.

"Z'tavick?" He asked.

"Get Aiden and the others. I'll try to figure out who I can trust and wake them up."

12