Her Fairy-Tale Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maggie was constantly surprised by how much Kaeden was like his father, both in his personality and his mannerisms, and she often found herself amused by twin looks that they would give her throughout the night. She was surprised by how much she had enjoyed the evening with her future parents in law, and sadly wondered what it would be like for her if her father were alive to be at this dinner and walk her down the aisle tomorrow.

"You okay?" Kaeden asked as they left his parents and returned to the penthouse.

"Your parents are wonderful," she smiled. "I enjoyed the dinner."

"You went a bit quiet for a little while there," he said with concern in his voice.

"It's hard sometimes. You have such a big loving family, and I have no one," she sighed.

"You've got me," he said softly, taking her in his arms. "You might be surprised by who else you have in your life, now that Elena is not going to be around, like Bob and Selena, who seems overly attached to you already." He chuckled, "Ravi has done more running around for you girls lately than me."

"You did write into the prenup that we share everything while we're together," she grinned.

"I have something I want to share with you," he pressed against her and lowered his head to kiss her. "Oh yeah, I got an interesting phone call today. A sex swing in every room?" he grinned.

"Oh God..."she groaned and buried her head in his chest, blushing deeply.

"I haven't had time to organise that today, but I have another idea," he laughed and lifted her to sit on the edge of the kitchen bench. "This time tomorrow you'll be my wife," he murmured and nuzzled her neck, kissing down over her shoulder and pushing the sleeve from her shoulder as he stepped between her legs demonstrating his idea.

Maggie wanted this, she wanted him, but as he began to undress her, she felt a twinge in her shoulder and tensed up, grimacing. The fitting had taken so long, and her arm had begun to hurt long before it was over.

"Am I hurting you?" He asked in real concern.

"No," she smiled, "It's just that I saw the doctor today, then the therapists, and followed that up with hours at the dressmaker with your sisters. I'm bound to be a little sore tonight," she admitted. "It was just a twinge though, you didn't do anything to hurt me."

"Rest then," he instructed, and placed one hand under her knees and one behind her back as he scooped her up into his arms.

"Kaeden, put me down, I can walk! I'm too heavy for you to be carrying around!" she complained, wrapping her hands around his neck as he began to walk.

"No," he said simply, walking into their bedroom and placing her on the floor to help her undress and get ready for bed. When they finally lay side by side, Kaeden pulled her close and kissed her. "Nervous about tomorrow?" He asked quietly.

"Only because I don't know what you have planned," she whispered back.

"Quick ceremony at sunset and a long honeymoon with many sunsets," he said smoothly.

"I don't suppose you want to give me any other clues?" she asked.

"Well..." he seemed to consider the question, "I think you will feel relaxed and at home during the ceremony, if that helps."

"We're getting married at the farm? It's not big enough for your whole family! Where will we put them all? The place must be a mess after the orders all went out over the weekend! Kaeden, we can't get married there!" she became immediately awake, and panic struck as a million things ran through her head, making him smile.

"Maggie, stop! Trust me, I have it all under control. You have two things to worry about, remember?" he said in a soothing voice as he held her tightly. "Just breathe and believe in me, Maggie, I won't let you down. I love you, and tomorrow is going to be perfect in every way for both of us."

Chapter 18

Maggie had spent a restless night tossing and turning as her anxiety over the wedding grew. She had thought they would go to a restaurant or a park, not the farm, and the thought filled her with worry. She'd been half asleep when Kaeden got up and started getting ready to go out, leaving her to sleep a bit longer.

"Maggie," he said gently, kissing her softly and seeing her eyes flutter open. "I have to go check on some last minute things, but I wanted to wish you a Happy Valentine's day first."

"Happy Valentine's Day," she said sleepily.

"I brought you breakfast, you need to get up soon," he kissed her again as she struggled to rouse herself. "Do you think you can manage the shower yourself this morning?" he grinned, knowing she could, but had enjoyed being part of that morning ritual each day.

"You have to leave now?" She asked, sitting up to look at him.

"I'm afraid so; I have a date to meet an angel at the altar in a few hours, and I have some things to do," he said with his endearing crooked smile.

"I. Am. Not. An. Angel," she said with feigned irritation. "So, I hope the two of you will be very happy together."

"We will be, I am sure of it," Kaeden chuckled and kissed her deeply. A toe-curling kiss filled with longing and desire. As if dragging himself away from her, Kaeden stood slowly and placed a breakfast tray over her lap. "Don't take too long with that, Selena will be here soon, and this is for you," he said, holding out an intricately wrought silver rose. "Happy Valentine's Day, my love."

"It's beautiful, thank you!" she said in an awed voice, feeling awful that she hadn't even thought to get him anything, and knowing she would need to find time to go shopping today. She had no clue what to get him though, and frowned as he left the room and she heard the elevator leave.

Maggie ate quickly and took her medications while scrolling through her phone for gift ideas before stepping into the shower. Without Kaeden there to help her, she found she was clean in half the time, and giggled at the fact that this was the first time she had showered alone in this apartment and how big the shower felt to her now. By the time she was out of the bathroom and had wiggled into some underwear, Selena was there to help her.

"Kaeden's left us a list of things to do," Selena looked up from the piece of paper she had been holding.

"Seriously?" Maggie asked. She'd been trying to get Kaeden to let her help with the plans for two days, and he decides to let her help today, of all days! "There's something I have to do first," she said decisively, and sat on the couch and started searching the internet for the perfect valentines and wedding gift for Kaeden. The phone rang as she was scrolling through a page.

"Claire's in the lobby and wants to come up," Selena said with her hand over the receiver.

"Great, I need her help," Maggie said distractedly. A few minutes later Claire breezed in looking fabulous.

"Are you ready for our spa morning? It's my wedding present to you both, and Scott's valentine's day present to me," she laughed. "I love a good spa day."

"I need your help first, cause I've done something dumb and I have to fix it," Maggie said in a worried tone, making Claire come and sit with her immediately. "I didn't even think to get him a wedding or Valentine 's Day gift, and he did, and it's beautiful. He's done all of the preparation for today, and he still remembered, and I did nothing." Maggie was deflated.

"You got out of the hospital three days ago, Maggie, Kaeden wouldn't have expected anything," Claire said, appalled that Maggie was so upset about this.

"I need one of these, or something very like it," she pointed to a Navitime pilot's watch. "I need it engraved with the coordinates of the farm and the message, so you can always find your way home." She looked at Claire. "I need it today, and Scott can fix any mistake. Please, Claire, I need this, it's important to me!" Her anxiety was growing. She'd been so selfish taking everything Kaeden had given her, and not once thinking about doing something for him. Something heartfelt and meaningful to their relationship, like the silver rose he had given her.

"Okay," Claire said, seeing how emotional Maggie had become, "I'll call Scott, but it's going to be hard to do in one day," she warned. She wasn't sure how busy Scott was helping Kaeden and with work today.

"Just get him to text me how much it costs, and I will transfer the money to him," Maggie said, letting the sense of relief flow through her as Claire called Scott. After a few minutes, she handed the phone to Maggie, and he asked more specific questions about brand and style, and Maggie gave him the web address and product number of the watch she had been looking at. Scott seemed confident that he could find the watch and said he would call back once he's organised it for her.

"Alright, farm girl, prepare to be pampered," Claire hooked her arm with Maggie's, and they left the apartment with Selena in tow. Two hours later she had been scrubbed from head to toe, and then massaged with tropical scented oils until her body gleamed. She's been waxed and plucked and had a manicure and pedicure. By the time she picked up her phone again, there was a picture of the exact watch she had wanted, and another picture of the inscription she had asked for. She squealed in delight, making the people around her jump in fright.

"Your husband has some awesome superpowers," she said excitedly to Claire and dialled Scott's number. She was astounded at the price, and although she had the money, thanks to Wade's dealings with the bank and Elena, she had hoped to be able to pay Bob and all his friends for their hard work with that money. "I'll transfer it to you as soon as I get home," Maggie said, jotting down the details of his bank account without taking no for an option. She had just started asking about the possibility of delivering it to Kaeden when Claire stopped her and asked Scott to bring it to them at the hotel.

"Toby is feeling a bit left out. He's been busy at work and with the new baby, and with Kaeden not having a best man, despite what Wade says, I think he'd like to do this, to be part of something today," Claire explained. "They're closer than the rest of us, Kaeden and Toby," Claire admitted. Maggie had to admit she barely knew Toby at all compared to Kaeden's other siblings, and she didn't mind who delivered it, as long as it got there.

"Okay, lunch, and then my job will be done," Claire said happily.

"Your job?" Maggie frowned.

"Oh, not literally," Claire immediately regretted her words. "I just wanted you to stay relaxed this morning and make sure you ate something before all the nervous excitement of getting ready this afternoon."

"I do appreciate everything, but I don't want you to think I need looking after. I'm getting better at asking for help when I need it," Maggie said a little warily.

"My mother did all this for me," Claire said sadly. "You shouldn't miss out on the pampering just because you lost yours too early." She explained somewhat tentatively, surprising Maggie.

"Truthfully, I've tried not to think about my parents not being there, it seems to have always been that way," Maggie said quietly. "It's nice having someone care enough to do this for me, thank you." She wasn't sure she believed what she was saying, but felt like the right thing to say. She still felt like the McConnell clan were judging her and finding her wanting. In this case, because she had no family, or, at least not one she wanted to be associated with.

"We just want you to know that you're part of our family now, and this is the kind of thing we do," Claire said. "Not because we have to, but because we want to, and we'd want to, even if your parents were here, to make sure you got all the pampering you deserve on your wedding day."

Maggie could hear the truth to her words but said nothing as they left the spa and went down to the lobby. The one bonus of having a husband who owned a luxury hotel was never having to leave the complex to find the things you wanted or needed on a day like today.

"Mags!" A familiar male voice called loudly across the lobby, and the blood drained from her face as she turned to see Ruslan jogging toward her.

"No, no, no, No!" Maggie repeated, holding her hands up as if to protect herself.

"Maggie, it's me!" Ruslan said, not understanding why she looked so scared of him.

Claire immediate stepped in front of Maggie while Paul instructed the front desk to call security and the police as he moved in the direction of the two women.

"I didn't know, Maggie, you have to believe me, I didn't know what they'd done!" Ruslan said desperately.

"Sir, If you'll follow me," Paul said solicitously, coming to stand between Ruslan and where Maggie stood frozen to the spot, moving Claire from the scene. "You can't be within one hundred meters of Miss Harris until the trial, and if you don't follow me now, you'll be arrested and charged accordingly."

"Mags, you have to believe that I had no idea what happened!" Ruslan said imploringly. "I'm your brother! I should be walking you down the aisle today!"

"I believe you!" Maggie said angrily. "I believe that you didn't know because you didn't care enough to know what was going on! You only ever cared about yourself and your life! You turned a blind eye to everything they did to me because it didn't affect you or your life! Now that it does, you suddenly care?" She knew she was being unfair, he had protected her, on occasion, from the venom of his mother and brother, but, as with all things in Ruslan's life, when Maggie was out of sight, she was out of his mind. She had no doubt that he was here because Elena had finally stopped paying for his extravagant lifestyle, and he knew she was about to marry a very rich man.

"Maggie, I didn't know! I didn't understand how bad it was! You never told me! How could I help you if I didn't know?" there seemed to be an odd dramatic tone to his voice.

"The media don't care about me or my wedding, Ruslan!" she said, realising why he was here, today of all days. "If this is some stupid attempt at getting some positive media attention by pretending to care about me rather than being the evil step-brother of this Cinderella image they created, then you are shit out of luck! No one cares about me! There are no camera's or film crews here to record your pathetic attempt to save yourself! A simple sorry would have been enough for me, but you are more worried about your reputation than anything I might be feeling! Saying sorry never even entered your mind!"

Maggie turned her back on him and walked away, uncaring of whether he got arrested or not. Coming to see her on the day of her wedding was unfair, not only to her but to Kaeden, who had put so much work into the day for Ruslan to ruin it by upsetting her and making her doubt everything again. She worried how Kaeden would react to the news and froze in indecision. She could ask Paul and Claire not to tell him, but she doubted that her wishes carried more weight than their loyalty to him. She should call him herself, but she wasn't sure how she felt about what had just happened.

Pulling out her phone, she sent him a text message. "Ruslan was at the hotel. Paul dealt with him. I will see you at the altar in a few hours" she punctuated it with a couple of kiss and love heart emoji, hoping that would allay his concerns. When she took a breath, she realised Claire was standing beside her, looking pale and shaky.

"Claire, come and sit down," Maggie said with concern as she guided Claire to a chair on the far side of the lobby. "Everything's okay, nothing bad happened," she said, as Claire nodded dumbly. "Scott will be here soon to drop off the gift. Why don't we go up to the apartment and order room service for lunch?" Claire nodded woodenly, and Maggie worried that she was in shock from thinking Ruslan had come to attack them. Ruslan was selfish and thoughtless, but he wasn't cruel. "I'll call Scott and let him know, okay? Just sit for a moment."

"Hi, Scott. Where are you?" Maggie asked in a neutral voice as he answered.

"I'm just pulling up, I'll be there in less than a minute," he said easily.

"There's been a small problem. Can you come into the lobby? We need to get Claire upstairs, and I can't do it on my own," Maggie said, asking the man for help for the second time that day. Scott didn't respond, but she could hear his moving as he kept the line open until he appeared in front of the two women. Seeing the pale, frightened expression on his wife's face and her trembling hands, he scooped her up into his arms.

"Let's go, you can tell me about it upstairs," he said calmly, even though she could see the concern on his face. "It's okay, baby, I got you," Scott murmured in Claire's ear. Maggie led the way to the elevators, glad that Paul had dealt with the issue and she could no longer see Ruslan in the lobby.

"She stepped between me and my brother, Ruslan, without even thinking, and then went into a bit of shock, I think," Maggie said apologetically. "I'm so sorry, Scott."

"It's not your fault," he looked at her. "So, Paul took him away and called the police?" he questioned, pulling his phone out of his pocket again. Maggie nodded, heading to the kitchen to get Claire a glass of cool water.

"Thanks," Claire smiled, accepting the water, looking more like her usual self with Scott sitting with her, his arm around her shoulder protectively while he spoke into his phone. "I'm fine. It was just a shock, that's all."

"Hi, Hannah. How's all the plans coming along?" Scott said into his phone as Claire looked wide-eyed at him and shook her head. "Good to hear. Listen, Claire was trying to be a bit of a superhero and gave herself a big fright," he paused as Hannah obviously broke into his explanation for the phone call. "She sure is. I'll put her on." He handed his phone to Claire and signalled Maggie to walk away with him to the kitchen.

"In this family, there is nothing that can't be fixed by a quick phone call to the mama bear, whether they want to talk to her or not," he chuckled. "Now tell me, how you are after seeing Ruslan?"

Maggie was saved from answering his question by the phone ringing, and she snatched it up. "Paul? Yes. I totally forgot. Can you send him up? Um... Scott's here, he'd like a word, if that's okay," she said, and passed the phone to Scott, who had indicated he wanted to speak to Paul. With both Scott and Claire on phone calls, Maggie walked through to the foyer to greet Toby when he came up.

"Toby, you're just in time for lunch," Claire said from behind Maggie as if nothing had happened. I was just coming out to ask what Maggie would like," she smiled a little too widely as she spoke, making Maggie frown.

"What's going on?" Toby asked, sensing the tension in the air.

"I messed everything up again," Maggie sighed, her positivity finally giving out. "Claire's in shock, Scott's yelling at Paul, and Kaeden and Hannah are probably worried about everyone on a day that I wanted to go smoothly, but my life's a mess. I told Kaeden we should have postponed the wedding, but he just wouldn't listen, and now it's all going pear-shaped." She shook her head and walked away from the brother and sister who stared at her dumbly.

She picked up her phone a moment too late and missed the call from Kaeden. The phone buzzed in her hand a moment later with a text message. "Remember what happened last time you ignored my calls." She gave a sad laugh and called him back.

"I broke your sister, and two of your brothers think I'm a melodramatic lunatic," she said as soon as he answered, making him laugh.

"That's okay, I have a spare sister," he chuckled, "Though I doubt you could break Claire. So, Scott and who else have discovered that you're a melodramatic lunatic?"

"Toby's here," she sighed.

"He is? That's great! Let me talk to him!" Kaeden said enthusiastically.