Her Game Was Passion Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I sprayed my mouth and put the plastic mouthpiece in my mouth. The band was marching up and down the field, some high-school band, girls in blue and white uniforms trying to march in a formation to form the words BIG D. Christ, that's all I needed. I thought of all the stupid football bands I'd listened to and all the hundreds of thousands. of screaming nutty fans singing the national anthem and screaming kill. I felt stupid, wasting my whole life. No, I had to stop thinking like this. I had to get up even for this game. Thinking like that was only an easy way out. The old excuse route. But I couldn't get away from the feeling that my feelings now about football were not only real but very valid.

It was a cold night. The lights were bright. They must be new. Doug Dunbar came over and leaned down.

"You got to get tough. Talk tough. You're getting chippy, baby."

"Yeah, I'm chippy." '

"Think tough, baby. You got to. You been acting like you got your head up your ass."

"That's where it is."

"We got to win this. My mother's out there."

"Keep talking. I'm going to throw up, Doug."

"This game is my whole life."

Pretty soon the band stopped playing and marched off the field. I felt dopey. I wondered if I'd been doped. I didn't give a damn. I felt so damn slow, like I was tired, just suddenly pooped out. Hawthorne kicked off. Koch came off the field, shaking his fingers. The grass looked black. The field looked like an enormous cemetery. Koch came over to me. My neck felt weak, like it wanted to flop down and roll my head on the ground.

"That son-of-a-bitch, Hawk," said Koch, shaking his fingers in pain. "The bastard must have played soccer in high school. He goddamn near kicked off my bowling hand."

The opposite moved the ball well, four first downs, then we intercepted. I got up from the bench. I felt half asleep. When I got out on the field, the team was already in a huddle, waiting for me. I knelt down, looked at the cold grass, tried to think of a play. I called the first play that same to mind.

A Right 95 Block Pass

I suddenly wished I were in bed with Mary Derry, not out here on this stupid football field. We broke and set. I dropped back, looked up field for Lennox. I watched him cut on a post pattern.

He put up his hands. I let him keep running. Then I threw the ball straight into the hands of the safety man. Somebody huge rose above me. This big thing was coming at me. I didn't move. Then a hand hit me in the face. The big rusher was flying through the air above me, coming down at me, with both arms out. He looked like a giant bird. I sprang back but the big bird roared straight down at me and I felt his helmet slam into my guts. I went down. I lay still. It was dark. I was gone. Completely gone.

Then I felt somebody lifting me. I was walking off. Somebody had his shoulder under my armpit and his forearm across my back. I wanted a cold bourbon and soda the worst way.

On the bus when I woke up, Jack Brown was sitting next to me.

"You know what?" he said.

"Who won?" I asked.

"We killed them. You know what?"

"Nope."

"Koch. You seen what he's doing? Right on the bus. Even here? He does it in his room all the time."

"What?"

"He talks to flowers. He bought a book, says if you talk to a flower, it'll help it grow. He talks to flowers all the time."

"He's punchy," said Dave.

"He does it at night a lot," said Brown.

"Maybe we ought to tell Reeves," Dave said.

"It might keep him awake," I said. "Maybe it helps Koch play better."

"He ought to leave them flowers alone at night," Brown said.

"He'll probably stunt their growth," Dave said.

"To Be Continued..."