Her Heart, His Prey Ch. 02

Story Info
Her day gets even better...
7.3k words
4.66
34.3k
54

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 05/23/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As promised here's part two of Marlow's story. This portion is much longer than the first per request of a few of you, and I hope you all enjoy. Once again, try not to be too critical, this is my first story after all, but criticism is always well accepted.

'Apostrophes' around certain sentences indicate thoughts or the ever popular mind-speak found in werewolf stories. I hope you all enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the hell?!" I screeched upon opening the door to my apartment. Almost immediately I slammed the door shut again, slapping a hand to my forehead and waiting for them to become decent while I stood shaking outside.

When Charlotte opened the door, peering out tentatively with her wide brown eyes, I glared at her. "When I said you could stay in my apartment for the week I didn't mean you could bring him here too, Char!" I hissed at her quietly. She bit her lip, glaring back at me with big brown eyes.

"We thought you weren't going to be back until later," she hissed back, tossing her messy short blonde hair in irritation. I continued to narrow my eyes at her, but a sliver of hurt slipped through.

At least she had the decency to look somewhat guilty. I shoved past her, pushing open the door and ignoring a halfway dressed David who was sitting, and looking equally as guilty, on the old sofa in my tiny, yet clean, living room. I made my way to my room without either of them saying anything to me, or asking about where I'd been, an amazing feat indeed as my right arm was twice its normal size and I could feel blood soaking into the neck of my shirt. Both were too busy examining the floor.

I rushed into my bathroom, flicking on the light and surveying the damage. My arm was throbbing, and looked even worse in decent lighting. I bit back a moan of pain, shrugging off my jacket while trying to avoid contact with my forearm that was quickly becoming even more swollen and purple. I saw gashes on my neck and my left arm from where the vampire had been holding me when he got torn off, and I saw blood on my head from where I had hit the ground. I debated going to the hospital or not, but a loud banging on the door interrupted my thoughts.

"Mar, what's going on?" David's voice sounded through the door. I let out an irritated sigh.

"Get the hell out of my apartment," I responded, my voice stern, yet strained.

"Marlow, I can smell the blood from out here, so open the fucking door and tell me what's wrong," he ordered, his voice growing angry.

My door wasn't what you were fucking five minutes ago, I thought, rolling my eyes as I went to open it. I would have crossed my arms if my right one would have allowed it.

David stood there, fully dressed thank the gods, and stared at me hard for a moment, his eyes taking in my various injuries. "What the hell happened?" he demanded. My sister came up behind him and gaped, staring at me with wide eyes as she took in the damage.

"Mar, what were you and Cathia doing last night?" Charlotte gasped out. I grumbled inaudibly, only wanting for the two of them to stop staring at me like I'd gone and tried to get myself killed.

David grabbed my good arm, dragging me out into the living room. When he went to sit me on the sofa I resisted. "Considering what you two were just doing on this couch, I'd rather not." My sister's cheeks flared crimson while David merely rolled his eyes, sitting me on a stool in my kitchen instead.

I'd have to remember to burn that couch later.

"Can you get the med kit?" he asked my sister as he flipped on the light, causing me to squint for a moment until my eyes adjusted to its brightness. She nodded and ran to find the medical supplies I kept in my bathroom while I glared at David.

"I don't need you to be my goddamn doctor, David. Honestly I just want you out." I felt tired. I was tired of seeing him all the time after he broke my heart. He was still breaking my heart. I was happy that they were happy, but it hurt, worse than the physical pain I was now experiencing.

"You didn't used to be so bitter," he retorted, looking me over again. I felt tears fill my eyes at his statement, and I pushed them back. "I'm sorry." He mumbled, and I looked up to see him gazing sorrowfully at me as he reached for my arm. When I went to pull it away he snagged it gently, lifting it up so he could inspect it. Aside from apparently being a beta in his pack of wolves, David was also a pack doctor, meaning he dealt with all sorts of crazy injuries inflicted upon weres by other supernaturals.

I winced as he tried turning it, biting my lip hard when he moved my wrist awkwardly. "Stop!" I eventually choked out. He gave me a sympathetic grimace.

Charlotte came back with the medical kit, staring worriedly at me. I didn't miss the tender expression David had in his eyes when he saw her. I looked away from them. "What happened, Mar?" she asked me.

"I really don't want to talk about it," I muttered in response, not meeting her gaze.

David took the med kit from her, pulling out bandages and a splint. I held my breath as he put the splint in place, realigning the damage the vampire inflicted upon me. The pain intensified for a brief moment, and faded to a dull ache when he had it set. He went to rub my arm soothingly, but I jerked away from him, bumping my shoulder into the wall behind me.

"It's broken, but I'm sure you already figured that out." I didn't respond, choosing instead to cradle my arm against my chest whilst ignoring him. It was childish, but the only self-defense I had left.

Then he turned his attention to the scratches on my neck and arm while I avoided his attempts to make conversation. When he stopped moving and began to stare at me accusingly I realized he had figured it out. He knew what happened.

"Since when do you consort with vampires?" he asked, trying to keep his tone in check, but failing miserably.

I snorted. "I don't want to consort with any supernaturals actually; it's not my fault I can't seem to stay away from them now." I gave him an accusing glare back, and we stayed like that for a moment, seeing who would break first. Charlotte cleared her throat, and we both looked away from each other.

He heaved a deep sigh, quickly bandaging the rest of my wounds. When he was done we all stood in an uncomfortable silence. "Well I'm going to bed," I provided, making my way back towards my room while hoping David would take the hint and leave.

"I think I'm going to spend the rest of the week at David's." Charlotte suddenly interjected. I stopped walking. Well that hadn't gone the way I'd hoped.

"What?" I asked before I could think to say anything else. I flinched at the hurt tone of my voice.

"I-I don't think I should stay here for the rest of the week is all," she murmured, going to stand by David and wrapping her arms around his waist. I tried not cave in on myself. How many days had it been since he practically tore my heart out? Ten? Eleven? And I still had the privilege to see him every goddamned day. "I don't want to put any more strain on our relationship," she finished, biting her lower lip.

"You don't care anymore." My voice was so quiet that Charlotte couldn't even hear me. David, on the other hand could, and his head snapped up to give me a pained look, his pale eyes darkening.

'Don't say that, Mar. You know it's not true.' He spoke inside my head, and when he did I just about lost it.

'You stay as far away from my head as you can, wolf-boy, otherwise I'll be making sure you run around with only half your tail from now on!' I thought back at him furiously. His grip around my sister's waist tightened as his eyes grew heated. 'You took the last of my family from me.'

"Okay, sure," I said, my voice monotone as I spoke to the both of them. Inside I felt defeated. I guess you just weren't a priority when your sister's soul mate finally came around.

"No," David interrupted suddenly. "Char, we can't leave her here after what happened." She looked about ready to argue with him, and I decided to step in.

"Yes you can." I put in before they could argue any more about it. I spun on my heel and slammed the door to my room. "And don't bother calling me," I added through the door. "Enjoy your lives." I whispered brokenly as I stood in the middle of my room.

How did my life get so fucked up so fast?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Please don't cry,' a warm voice pleaded with me. It was the broken voice of an angel, begging me not to be sad for them. I tried to dry my eyes, but the tears continued to fall, quickly filling the small empty room I was in. I was slowly pulled under, literally drowning in my own sorrow. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't...

A shrill ringing jolted me out of my dream, and I bolted upright, gasping in deep breaths of air. The dead silence in the rest of my apartment told me that David had consented to Charlotte's wishes last night. They left me. I shuddered, not wanting to even think about what they were doing, especially after walking in on them last night.

My thoughts returned to the irritating noise, and I picked up the phone jerkily. "Hello?" I asked, my voice croaky.

"Marlow?" Cathia's voice echoed through the phone.

"Cathia!" I cried out, a huge weight lifting off of my shoulders as I realized she had managed to get home alright and away from the vampire. I winced at the pain in my broken arm, the memories from the night before rushing back. I shuddered, wondering if the vampire was still out there.

"Aww, someone's excited to see me." She giggled, not noticing the tense edge to my voice.

I laughed. "Of course I am. Anyway what's up?" She went on, asking me if I could come over in a short bit. "I'll be there. Any reason why?" I asked.

"No reason." She replied quickly. "I just miss your gorgeous face is all. See ya, girlie!" With that and a sweet giggle she hung up the phone.

I groaned when I sat up in my semi-lumpy bed, my arm aching even more than yesterday. I clumsily made my way to my closet and pulled out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Getting dressed was difficult with only having one easily maneuverable arm, but I managed.

After brushing my teeth and grabbing my purse and a scarf to wrap around the scratches on my neck, I made my way outside. It was colder outside today than the night previous, and I cursed myself for not bringing a jacket.

Cathia's house was about four blocks away from my apartment, and I tended to walk over to her house frequently as it was usually nice outside. I felt, for a moment, that I should be afraid that the vampire from last night would come back, that he would find me. I wasn't afraid though. In fact, I felt... safe? Well, maybe not safe, but not like I was in any imminent danger.

Rubbing my good hand along my arm to stay warm, I made my way along the semi-crowded streets to Cathia's house. I felt eyes on me, but I brushed it off as being due to my unseasonable dress.

When I made it to Cathia's small house, a small bungalow styled house painted a pale gray-blue color that I loved, I jogged up the stairs, not bothering to knock as I pushed open the door into her house. I reveled in the warmth for a moment before searching for Cathia. "Hey Cat, where are you?" I called out into the cozy house.

I heard an unintelligible groan coming from her kitchen and found her sitting at her little breakfast nook with a cup of coffee on the table and her head in her hands. "Aww Cat, why didn't you tell me you were hung over?" I sat next to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. She groaned again in response.

We sat in silence for a while, her taking an occasional sip of coffee while I continued talking to keep her distracted. "It hurts, Mar," she moaned as she leaned her head on my shoulder, interrupting me from my talking about my new job assignment in the city.

"Then you should stop drinking so much when we go out." I grinned at her as I spoke, knowing that wasn't going to happen. She laughed weakly at my comment.

"So not happening. That would take all of the fun out of going out," she replied. Then she looked back up. "What happened last night?" she asked. I didn't feel too surprised at her question. She tended to be way out of it once she started drinking, and last night it had worked to my advantage. The more she remained ignorant of the wonderful (not) world of supernaturals, the better.

I shrugged. "You tell me, you vanished before I could find a hot guy with a hot best friend." Make that just the part about the hot friend, I thought as I remembered the attractive, 'self-assured' guy from the night before who had taken the time to try and have a conversation with me. Shaking him off, I turned my attention back to Cathia.

She sat back up slowly, blinking tiredly. Her hair was a mess, pulled back into a short ponytail while strands fell around her face. She had dark purple shadows under her eyes that gave her a haunted look, and she hadn't taken the time to take off her makeup last night either, causing her to look a bit like an overworked clown who had been forced to take on the nightshift.

While I studied her, she studied me as well. "Holy fuck!" she exclaimed, pointing at my arm. "What happened to you?!"

I grimaced. "I fell down the stairs on my way back home last night. Last time I ever wear those heels," I lied. She was either too hung over or too tired to see through my story.

"You're a mess, Mar." I couldn't help but laugh aloud at the irony of her statement. After a moment she joined me, leaning so that her head was on my shoulder again. It was her close proximity that led me to see the markings on the skin of her neck.

My eyes widened and my laughter ceased as a chill washed through me. I hadn't remembered seeing the vampire from last night bite her, but here she was with bite marks all over her neck. "C-Cat?" I asked her quietly. "What's on your neck?" her laughter stopped instantly at my inquiry.

"Scars," she replied simply, as if I were stupid.

"From what?" I pried. She hadn't moved from where her head was resting partly on my neck, and I cringed.

She inhaled deeply before replying, edging closer to my pulse. "It's nothing, Mar, don't worry about it." I began to inch away from her, but a low growl emanated from her throat. 'Vampire!' A voice inside my head screeched in warning. My breathing accelerated. "Mar, I'm so hungry, do you think...?" she trailed off, and I quickly moved away from her, sliding into a chair across the table from her before she could react.

She toppled drunkenly for a moment as I moved out from under her, righting herself with the help of the table, which rocked precariously. She sat up straight, giving me a confused look before it morphed into a glare. I cleared my throat, my instincts urging me to run. "Um, Cat, I should really go, I-!" With a loud hiss she lunged at me, her eyes glowing red.

I fled my chair, sprinting towards her front door. I had only grabbed the handle when I felt her stone cold grip around my upper arm. I was whipped around to see her eyes, her blood-red eyes, staring at me like I was the most delicious thing ever. I screamed out loud as her fangs lengthened from her mouth. She gave me a wicked smile before she attacked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke with a start. I was breathing heavily, and I felt like I had just run a marathon. "It didn't happen," I whispered to myself softly. "She's not really a vampire."

I opened my eyes, and stared out into the darkness, dread seeping into my core. Where the hell was I? Did I dream all of this?

I was no longer in my room, and the darkness was so all-consuming that I couldn't see a foot in front of my face. When I went to sit up I realized why. I was trapped in some sort of container. My breathing began to accelerate again. I was so claustrophobic that I could barely stand to be in an elevator, let alone whatever this was.

Pushing against the box didn't seem to be working. "Hello?!" I shouted, my voice hoarse. "Is anyone out there?! Please let me out!" I banged against the box with my left arm and my feet, my right arm still trapped in the splint. Muffled sounds from outside were my only forewarning to the invasion of the bright light. I raised my hands to cover my eyes.

"Cole what the fuck is this!?" David's angry voice shouted. My ears rang at his voice, and I moved my hands to peer out of what was apparently a trunk of a car. David stood there along with a shorter blonde-haired man. Both were glaring at each other, and I began to feel very confused.

"David?" I asked groggily. I sat up. Why the hell had David put me in a trunk? Outrage began to seep into my nerves as I realized what this meant. He had fucking kidnapped me!

"Cole, this is not the girl you were supposed to bring us," David snarled at the smaller man. I rolled my eyes at his tone as I shakily moved to get out of the trunk. He went to help me, but I shook my head with finality.

"It's the girl he's had me tracking since two nights ago, David. She's definitely the one," the man named Cole replied shortly, his arms crossed across his broad chest.

"It's not her." David sputtered. He continued to stare wildly at me as he spoke, his eyes shifting from gold to normal as he fought to control his anger. I gave him an annoyed look as I turned to get a feel for our surroundings. I was broiling with fury, but also confusion. I was yet again being dragged into the paranormal world by my obnoxious ex-boyfriend.

"It's her, David, and if I don't deliver her soon, the Alpha's gonna make us all pay," the stocky man shot back. I froze in fear. What did the Alpha of David's pack want with me? I gazed around wildly for a way out.

We were in a deeply forested area, not another car in sight. There was no escape.

The man named Cole took matters into his own hands as he came towards me and grabbed my arm. I made an offended noise and shook my arm out of his grip. Even though he was shorter than David, he still towered over my small frame. He glared at me. When he went to grab me again I slapped him as hard as I could with my left hand. "I don't like to be manhandled," I ground out through clenched teeth.

"Cole, stop," David urged, though I didn't see him racing to my rescue anytime soon. Cole ignored him and grabbed my arm again, gazing deeply into my eyes. I noticed every detail of his brown eyes down to the flecks of amber surrounding the pupil.

"Get the fuck off of me." I spat out, trying to shake him off again, but I suddenly felt weaker. Tired. When my legs gave out I felt David catch me, lifting me into the air and carrying me back towards the car. I tried to protest, but nothing seemed to be working. They have powers you've only ever dreamed of, Mar. My mother's voice rang in my ears, and I tried desperately to move something. It was like I was a puppet, free to be used and abused by anyone who wanted, and all because I was a simple mortal.

"Just relax, Mar, I'm going to figure this out," he murmured as he settled me into the back seat of the car beside him. "Then I'm going to make sure we leave you alone for good." I sat there in stunned, immovable silence for the rest of the ride.

"It's her, trust me, I saw them at the club together." A solemn voice jolted me out of my trance-like state with a groan. I cradled my splinted arm against my chest and immediately I felt a hand on my forehead.

"Mar?" David's voice sounded hazy and I blinked, looking up at him confusedly. "Mar come on, we need you to focus." My mind was fuzzy, and all I could see were shapes and colors.

I heard voices arguing, gradually becoming clearer as the fog in my head evaporated. "What... What the hell?" I managed to get out as I looked around. About ten men and women were standing around where I was situated on a sofa in an overly fancy living room, either shouting at each other or glaring at each other with irritation written all over their faces.

12