Her Heart, His Prey Ch. 04 Pt. 1

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It was such an insignificant amount that you'll hardly notice," he ground out, clenching his fists, "now let me finish! Your body shut down so that it could heal itself. Cassian was there the entire time." He said it like it made sense, like it should make me feel better to know this. In truth, it did make me feel better to know that he cared so much, but I refused to let myself acknowledge that.

"Seriously?" I asked, in spite of myself.

David nodded. "The whole time. He was practically going insane when he came back to find you unconscious. Although I do think he's come to like you better when you're unconscious," he joked.

I frowned. "Now is really not the time for you to make fun of me." My voice sounded dangerous. I liked it.

He sighed. I knew I was being irritable, but I wanted answers not jokes.

"To answer your first question, yes, I am going to apologize now," he stated, narrowing his eyes as if daring me to challenge his response. "Marlow I realize what I did was wrong, to use you like that, but it was my job as a beta of this pack to figure out what was going on with your parents and the vampires." When I went to say something, he held up a hand. "Please, just... let me finish." He took a deep breath. "I will admit, the feelings I had for you were real, everything that happened... I cared for you, truly I did. But you weren't my soul mate. I offered to marry you, and I made a poor choice that night in abandoning that decision so quickly. And for that I am deeply sorry. It was never my intention to hurt you in such a way and I hope you can find it within you to forgive me."

I sat there, stunned, for a moment at his confession. "David, I- I get that you feel bad for what you did, but it's going to take time for me to forgive you. It's not like you were some high school fling, we were about to get married-!"

"Do you still feel anything for me? Now?" he interjected. I paused. Cassian had asked me the same thing only an hour ago, and I found myself sitting in the same stupefied silence as I had before. "Or is it gone for you now that you've met Cassian? Your mate?"

"I don't want to talk about this right now. Especially not with you," I ground out. This mate crap was really beginning to get on my nerves. I didn't want this, but I had begun to realize that maybe I was, in fact, mated to Cassian. Even so, I would never tell David that. My attraction to other men, especially werewolf men, was none of his business.

He grinned victoriously. "See! You won't even admit it to yourself." He moved close to me, not quite so that we were touching, but so that our faces were mere inches apart. I couldn't move, still trapped on the table by his arms that were planted on either side of me. "Stop hating me for what I did and move on. I know it was wrong, that it was an awful, terrible thing I did to lead you on like that, but your heart has moved on and you can't even see that because your head is still so stuck in the past!" His voice was a growl, and it made me inch back.

He took a deep breath before saying what he did next. "That's how the vampires got to you, too, you know. You were so focused on everything everyone had done wrong and your wounded feelings that they managed to get a hold of your emotions and control you that way."

"What are you talking about?" I demanded suddenly. My flesh was heated, and I tried to deny his words. I tried with every fiber of my being, but there was a tingling truth racing through them that I could not ignore.

And it pissed me the hell off.

"I'm saying that vampires can manipulate you in ways you cannot even imagine. Cassian told you they can make you see things?" I nodded, a sick feeling settling in my stomach. He smirked briefly, his eyebrow quirking in a way that used to drive me crazy. "Well they can make you feel things, too. They can make you forget all about this," he held up my hand for emphasis, "and focus everything on what they're trying to get you to see."

This made my stomach clench in apprehension, but I knew it would do me no good to show my fear. "So I'm screwed no matter what?" I bit out. We had gone from my new (and improved? I had no idea anymore) love life to how the vampires were trying to screw me over and possess me like they had possessed my parents. "No matter what happens, they'll be able to control me and get to me?"

"No, but you need to trust us. You need to trust Cassian. We can't help you if you won't let us, and you're trying so hard to resist us, because of me, that you're going to end up getting yourself killed!" he growled. I could feel my heart racing, and I was surprised Cassian hadn't shown up during our little confrontation. He usually seemed to get involved when things got heavy.

"I don't want any of this," I said softly. "Why did it have to be me?" it was the most ridiculous, most helpless thing I could've said, and I wanted to take the words back as soon as I said them. I hated seeming weak, even if I was.

David's face softened. "I don't know why, Mar, and I'm sorry it had to be you. I can't imagine what your feeling, and I won't try because I know it'll make you upset." He placed a reassuring hand on my arm. "I've known you long enough to know that you're strong, that you're capable of healing. You can get through this, but you need to give him a chance. He hasn't done anything wrong. He wasn't the one who kidnapped you. I was. He didn't break up with you. I did. He's not the horrible person you're making him out to be... that's me. I am the only one who has caused you pain intentionally, and you may not like it, but I know there's something inside of you that cares for him."

"It's not that simple," I mumbled.

"The hell it is!" David bellowed, slamming his fist on the table and making me jump. His threw his hands into the air, moving away from me. "Marlow, I know you're human and this doesn't make much sense to you, but I also know you aren't stupid! We aren't together anymore. I know that you were torn up about it at first, and believe me, I regretted every second I led you on, but you can't possibly tell me you still feel the same about me as before! Ever since you met him, you've known there was something there. That wasn't like what it was for us! We were friends for months before we even started thinking about dating!" He looked directly at me. "You didn't even look to me for comfort when your parents were killed. You wanted solitude."

I couldn't breathe. He was right. I knew he was right, and maybe, looking back on our relationship, it hadn't been as wonderful as I'd made it out to be. I bit my lip, willing my tears back. I would not cry in front of this man.

This time when he came forward, he clutched my good hand desperately in his. "Promise me you'll give him a chance."

"David, I-!"

"Promise me, damn it!" he shouted. Instead of cowering at the tone of his voice, I lifted my chin, glaring back at him full force.

"Stop talking to me like that," I snarled, wishing I could bare my teeth or growl at him the way wolves did. It would have made me seem much more intimidating.

"Then promise me that! You've hurt him just as much as I hurt you, only you've done it over a few days instead of the ten minutes it took for me to do it. Stop torturing the poor man and let him be there for you!" he shouted back. I was on my feet now, stalking towards him in the little space that there was.

"I let someone be there for me once, and I think you know very well where that got me," I shot back, crossing my arms as best I could with the bulky cast.

"You're afraid," David stated suddenly, his anger dissipating instantly as he ignored what I'd said. It was unnerving how fast his mood changed, and I struggled to keep my fierce composure.

"I'm not afraid," I whispered darkly. "I don't want to get hurt again. I know what it's like to have all your loved ones leave you at once. I know what it's like to lose everything."

"You aren't just afraid. You're terrified," David murmured, nodding to himself.

"I'm not," I managed to keep my voice calm, but it still had an edge. I opened my mouth to say something before closing it then opening it finally. "I was going to leave here," I said emotionlessly, telling him what I hadn't told anyone else.

David looked at me, shocked, like he was truly surprised that I had told him that. "What?"

I nodded. "I had my ticket and everything. I was going to go back to my parent's house."

"Why are you telling me this?" he asked, his voice suddenly hoarse as his hand gripped the edge of one of his chair.

I shrugged and met his eyes, and for once did not let them stray. "Because I wanted you to know just how low I got after losing almost my whole family and then the only man I ever thought I loved. That's the only reason I let Charlotte stay at the apartment. I was going to leave and I was never going to come back." I paused, re-crossing my arms the other way. "I can't forgive you or Char for what you two did to me, at least not right now, but I've realized I still care a hell of a lot more about her than I ever did for you. If you ever hurt her, even if it's unintentional, I will not be held responsible for my actions."

The look in his eyes told me that he understood perfectly what I was saying at, but the slant to his mouth gave me a sudden anxious feeling. He took a step towards me before speaking.

"You said you thought you loved me." His voice was smug.

"And?" I asked venomously.

"Clearly that means you feel differently now." He shrugged as he spoke and it made me want to punch him. Preferably somewhere below the belt.

"I don't know how I feel anymore," I mumbled, looking away from him and at the gaudy blue wallpaper covering the walls. It was truly hideous.

"Bullshit." His face was directly in front of mine, his eyes blazing as he spoke.

"Asshole."

"Promise me," he demanded. I held my tongue, but I could feel myself caving in. I could feel myself letting go, shattering my resolve into tiny pieces. "Promise me!" he yelled before I could say anything.

"God dammit! I promise, all right?! Are you happy now?!" I shouted back, tears forming in my eyes as I finally gave in. I had a feeling that it had been coming regardless of our conversation, but David had really made his point, and was probably not going to let me walk out of here until I gave in to what he demanded anyway.

At that he smiled, his pale eyes glimmering in victory. I don't think I'd ever wanted to punch him as much as I did in that moment. "Good because he was getting pretty pissed at me for yelling at you so much."

I made my way back to his room slowly, taking my time and trying to think all the way back. I was positive that Cassian was going to intercept me at some point after that horrific interlude, but I supposed he wanted to give me a little space to think. I decided then and there that I wanted to know everything. I wanted to know what being his mate meant, what I was expected to do now, everything about my parents and what they were involved in. I wasn't mad at him. I never had been. I knew that now. I just wanted to him to know my decision.

Actually, what I really wanted was to go to bed, but I doubted I could sleep considering I had about a billion questions rambling through my head that would've kept me up wondering all night.

Somehow I managed to make it back to his room without getting lost. Pushing open the door, I found Cassian lounging on his bed, a calculating expression on his handsome face. His arms were folded behind his head like they were earlier. "Nice cast," he quipped. Apparently he was still irritated with me. I rolled my eyes, sitting cross-legged on the bed opposite from him.

"That was an asshole move, you know, getting him to do that," I told him pointedly, referring to his and David's planned conversation. I realized on the way back that it was why he hadn't intervened. It didn't seem like his style to stray from an argument. Cassian shrugged, staring at me from the other side of the bed with dark eyes. They were so observant it was as if he saw right through me.

"I know," he replied simply and indifferently. I had to admit it stung slightly. "It was his idea, actually, but I did agree that you needed to hear it." He reminded me so much of when we'd first met in the club. It felt so long ago. And to think it had only been a couple days.

"You listened, I assume?" I supposed quietly while pulling the afghan from the bed around my shoulders. I wasn't really cold, but I felt safer with it around me.

"No." He still wouldn't look at me.

"Really?" I was surprised. I had figured that he would do something like that, but I also heard the truth in his voice. I drew my knees up to my chest, pondering this.

"I figured it was something private. As much as it kills me that you two have a past together, I understand that you two needed closure." He was so sincere, so honest. I felt tears of frustration well up in my eyes. He hadn't done anything wrong, just like David had said, and while I may still not have forgiven David for what he did, I shouldn't have taken it out on Cassian. Even if he did bite me to heal himself before we had an actual date... or an actual conversation that didn't involve me criticizing him the whole time.

"This is all happening really fast," I whispered, pulling the blanket protectively around me.

"I know. I don't want to rush you, Marlow, but I do want you to trust me, to stop pushing me away." I nodded, almost to myself. I had promised to do as such, and I would follow through on that. His voice was tender and I looked up to see his handsome face looking at mine. The way he looked at me... it made everything else seem insignificant. He made me feel like I was worthy to be looked at like that.

Man I was piling on the cheese today, wasn't I?

"I'm sorry." As soon as the words came from my lips I realized how much I meant them. I was sorry, and I wanted him to know how sorry I was, how much I regretted the way I'd treated him. "But I really need to start getting some answers or I swear my head is literally going to explode." I added as I laughed bitterly.

He gave me a warm smile and I found myself staring at his lips, remembering how they felt against mine earlier. I blushed, moving my eyes to the comforter I was sitting on while pretending to fix a stray edge of the blanket. His eyes were still on my face and I was struggling not to blush. "What do you want to know?" he queried.

"Everything," I responded quickly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "I mean, well, yeah I mean everything," I finished lamely, giving him a smirk. "I want to know about werewolves, mates, my parents, the vampires, everything!"

"That may take a while," he replied, his voice low as he pushed himself into a less awkward sitting position. "And you look like you're about to pass out any second." The sudden concern was startling. I did feel like that, but I also knew that I needed answers more.

I shook my head. "I'm not going to be able to sleep at all until I get some answers."

He sighed, giving me an exasperated look. "Alright. I promise to give you the answers, but you'll have to promise me something in return."

"What's that?" I asked suspiciously.

"For every question you ask, I get to ask one in return." I raised my eyebrows at his proposition as a mischievous glint entered his eyes and the set of his mouth. I felt like I was about to make a huge mistake, but I had agreed to throw him a bone, now, hadn't I? If wolves liked bones that is...

"I guess I can live with that." He chuckled at my response, shifting so that he was sitting cross-legged on the bed in front of me, his back resting on the headboard. His dark eyes sparkled with humor and... excitement? I averted my eyes from his mouth, knowing exactly where my thoughts would take me.

"What is a mate... exactly?" I held my gaze to his as I asked and could see the happy glint in his when he noticed that was the first question I asked.

"Come here." He held out his arms and I raised an eyebrow. He rolled his eyes. "You said you'd trust me, now come here."

I slid closer, almost falling onto his lap when he grabbed my non-casted arm and pulled me right up against him. He chuckled and placed my hand on his chest, over his heart. It took me a moment to figure it out, but I gasped when I did. "We have the same heartbeat?" I asked. I wasn't sure if I was right in my assumption, but he nodded. "Is that part of...?" I trailed off, unsure of how to finish my question.

Again he nodded. "Our history isn't really written down, per say, but it is common that soul mates share that aspect. Some believe it is because our souls were divided in half, therefore we are destined to find or be drawn to where the other half of our soul is. It's reflected, literally, in the beat of our hearts."

"Soul mates," I breathed. He nodded, an encouraging smile forming on his lips.

"Our mates are our perfect match, even if we do not recognize it at first." His voice was so serious, so warm, so... I had to mentally slap myself to pull my thoughts away from him and only him. Damn David, why'd he have to go and be so right about all of this? Cassian's hand ran up my arm and back down, as if he were trying to comfort me—or distract me. I found that I was staring at him wordlessly, and had to forcibly remove my eyes from his. There was so much there, so much longing, so much... love?

"My turn," he said suddenly, and my eyes snapped back up to his. He released my arm and I sat back down, not moving back to my side of the bed, instead opting to stay closer to him while not quite touching. Still, the nearness almost made me shudder.

"Shoot." I pulled the blanket more tightly around my shoulders as I felt his eyes run me over. Werewolves were nothing if not subtle.

"How old are you?" he asked.s

"What?" I was shocked by his easy question, and found myself staring dumbly at him.

"I asked you how old you are," he replied simply.

"I know that! I was just surprised. I would've thought you'd found out everything about me by now! Don't you have like fifty werewolves at your disposal to dig up my personal life or something like that? Isn't that how it works?" I knew I was being rude, but I couldn't stop the nervous flow of words.

He snorted, leaning forward and speaking to me in a low voice. "I wanted to know about you from you. If you'd rather I just looked up what was written about you in your files, I can do that."

"No, I-I'm sorry I just assumed." Biting my lip and feeling suddenly very young and foolish I remembered the question he'd asked. "I'm nineteen. I turn twenty in July."

"Nineteen!" he repeated, shocked. "And you were getting married?" I flushed deeply, the embarrassment triple that of what I had faced the months before the wedding. Those had been my sister's words exactly when I'd told her I was engaged. And my grandmother's, and my uncle's...

"That's two questions," I replied softly, trying to stop blushing when I thought of the confrontation with my uncle. He had never liked me much anyways, but when I'd told him he'd thrown a huge fuss in the middle of a restaurant. It was absolutely horrendous and I was afraid to go out for almost a week in fear that someone would recognize me as the careless girl who was getting married at nineteen.

He quickly realized his question had made me self-conscious. "Forgive me. I just didn't realize you were so young."

"Well how old are you?" I was beginning to get nervous again. What if he was way older than he looked and was really almost thirty? I wondered what my uncle would do then when he found out about him.

"In human years or wolf years?" he questioned back.

"Now I'm not sure I want to know..." I ventured cautiously. I knew wolves lived longer than humans, but how long was the real question.