Here for You Ch. 15-17

Story Info
A story about trust and betrayal.
6k words
4.68
8.9k
11
0

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/22/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: Thank you for voting and commenting. Hope you guys continue to enjoy my work!

***

Chapter 15

On one Friday afternoon, after the diner was closed for the day, Ben heard the tinkle of bells hitting against the front door and wondered who was visiting since the staffs were still working. He stuck his head out from the office and saw his mother walked into the diner, thanking Lily for opening the door for her.

"Hi, Ma," Ben called out.

Sabrina Garrett smiled in greeting. "Hello, Ben."

He closed the distance between them and leaned down to kiss her cheek. "What brings you here?"

"I want to take you out for lunch," she said. "My treat."

He narrowed his eyes at her. "Something's up?"

She glared up at him as if offended. "What, I can't bring my son out for lunch once in a while?" He continued to look at her skeptically and she sighed. "Okay, I heard something about you dating again so I am here to grill you."

"Is River running his mouth again?" he asked, exasperated.

"Surprisingly, no. Karen told me," she said. "You know she can talk to me about anything."

Ben looked at his mother for a moment before replying, "Okay, let me finish my work and we'll go."

*

Ben drove Sabrina to her favorite seafood restaurant and they settled down to order and eat. Halfway through the meal, Sabrina paused to take a sip of her iced tea. "So tell me," she said. "Who's the lucky lady?"

"You meant who's the lady that makes me the lucky man," he grinned.

"Oh, please spare me, son; I'm eating," she replied dryly.

He grinned even wider. "I'm just trying to enlighten you, Mama." He gulped down his beer before answering, "Her name is Elle Bronwyn. She works at the diner."

She gazed wide-eyed at him for a moment. "Karen didn't tell me about that. Well, that's... different. I thought you liked a woman with her own career and Elle isn't exactly what you called a 'career woman', is she?"

"I don't have a specific type," Ben clarified.

"Oh, don't you?" she looked genuinely surprised. "That's funny because the past two relationships were with women with careers and all; I thought that was your type."

"That's insightful, but no, I don't have a type," he said. "And Elle does have her own career. The diner is just her part-time job."

"And how old is she exactly?" she asked.

"Elle is twenty-two," he answered.

Sabrina raised an eyebrow. "Not too young for you?"

"She doesn't think I'm too old for her," he replied easily.

"Have you two talked about the future yet?" she asked.

Ben had to laugh. "Ma, she and I have only been seeing each other for a few months. It's really too early for that."

"Ben, honey, Karen told me River is quite attached to her; she is worried that if you two broke up, it would affect him too," Sabrina said. "And I don't want to see my grandson getting hurt if this woman leaves."

"Elle likes River too. And she knows my take on River."

Sabrina peered at Ben. "I trust that she was mature about it."

"You should know better than me that age doesn't guarantee maturity," he said. "And it's really not anybody's business."

"You do remember that you have a young son who still needs attention from both his parents. I would expect you to still make this your prerogative," she said.

"Just because I have a relationship with a younger woman doesn't mean I've lost my priorities," he assured.

Sabrina leaned back against her seat as she studied her son. "You know this conversation will be much more interesting if you contribute a little something other than contradicting everything that I say," she said.

Ben laughed again. "I know this little game you're playing, Ma. You're still holding out hope that I would get back together with Karen. But I've told you a thousand times that we won't."

"Well, maybe not get back together," Sabrina said quickly. "You know her father is sick now and the chance of recovering is next to none. I just hope perhaps you can be a little bit more supportive of her."

"How much more supportive could I be?" he asked, feeling his patience running out. "I mean, Karen and I talk, I let her vent out her worries and she knows she can send River to my place anytime. What else do you want me to do?"

"Fine, then," she said abruptly. "I'm sorry for bringing this up. But you do know that I'm only asking all these questions because I'm looking out for you, right?"

"Yeah, I know."

"Good," she said with a nod. "If you're happy with how things are going, then I'm happy for you, son. Do bring Elle to have dinner together sometime. I'd like to know her better."

Ben smiled. "Sure, Mama. I'll talk to her about it."

***

The next morning during Elle's mid-morning break, Ben joined her at the table. She glanced up at him just as she took a bite of her bagel. She saw the gleeful smirk on his face and paused mid-bite to raise an eyebrow.

"Something's up?" she asked.

"I had lunch with my mother yesterday," he said.

"So?"

"She knows about us," he said, still grinning. Elle's eyes widened, but she didn't say anything and took another bite of her food. "Don't you have anything to say about this?" he asked.

"She's your mother, Ben. You're the one who's dealing with her, not me," she said.

Ben's grin grew wider at her answer. "She invited you to dinner." Elle gasped and choked on her bagel in the process. "Jesus Christ," he muttered and hurried over to her side to thump at her back. "Are you okay? Take a drink," he said after she had stopped coughing and held the cup of coffee to her lips.

Elle concentrated on taking deep breaths for a moment and took a sip of coffee before looking back at him. "When is the dinner?" she asked. Her question surprised Ben and he began to laugh uncontrollably. "What's so funny?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Nothing, I just... You were so overwhelmed with the prospect of having dinner with my mom that you choked on your food. The next minute you're asking when the dinner is going to be like nothing's happened."

"I was not overwhelmed," she insisted. "I'd taken a too-big bite of my bagel."

"Whatever," he said. "The dinner is still up in the air. Nothing's set yet." The relief on Elle's face was so obvious that he had to laugh again and he nudged at her side, teasing her. "Yes, someone's not at all concerned with meeting her boyfriend's mother."

"Okay, yeah, I admit I'm nervous meeting your mother," she said before her eyes softened as she looked at him. "But I'm actually excited as well. I want to know the woman who raised you," she said.

Ben smiled. "There isn't much to know, really. Unlike my grandfather, she hates to cook. That was why he left this diner to me instead of her."

Elle tilted her head to the side. "What about your dad?"

He shrugged. "I don't know him. I've never met him. My mom was pregnant with me when she was still in high school. I was born a month after she graduated. My father dumped her so she gave me her last name instead. She worked multiple jobs to support us and even though the diner was a flourishing business, she refused financial help from my grandfather."

"Has she ever married?" Elle asked.

"Nope," he said. "She dates around, though. I think she values her freedom too much to be tied down by a man."

"She seems like an interesting person," she said. "I think you should set up a date for us to meet."

Ben grinned. "I know you'd say that." He lifted a hand to caress her cheek. "You remind me of her sometimes. Not in that creepy kind of way," he said quickly when Elle raised an eyebrow at him. "I mean, you're both strong and independent women. And you're both hard-headed," he said and laughed when she slapped at his arm. "I meant it as a compliment!" he said.

"Since when hard-headed is considered a compliment?" she retorted.

He caught her hand and drew it to his lips. "It might not be to another person, but to me, it's an admirable trait. And I'm lucky to have two such ladies in my life."

Elle patted his cheek. "Good answer."

Chapter 16

Elle finally got to meet Ben's mother a week ago and they had an enjoyable dinner together. For Ben, it had brought him even closer to Elle and he found himself falling deeper in love with her. They had certainly made love whenever the opportunity presented itself, especially during this past week.

"Let's go buy some groceries," Ben told Elle as soon as he had picked her up from work. "We can get some champagne, maybe, and some strawberries and chocolate. I'm in the mood for the Jacuzzi tonight."

Elle shivered at the thought of making love to Ben in the warm water. "That sounds romantic." He took her hand and gave her a conspiratorial smile as if he could read what she had been thinking.

"You like it? Then maybe I should get it running more often," he said. Elle lifted his hand to her lips and kissed it once. Before she could say anything, Ben's phone rang and Karen's name flashed on the display screen on the dashboard. He muttered an apology and answered it. "Yes, Karen?"

"Hi, Ben," she said; her voice thick as if she was having the flu or from crying. "Um, is this a good time to talk?"

"Sure, what's wrong?" he asked.

"My dad's condition has turned for the worse yesterday. The doctors said he might not be able to make it through the night. And he is asking for you," she said. "We would appreciate it if, you know, if you can come over for a visit."

"Of course, I'll come over right now," he replied. "Who's taking care of River?"

"I asked my neighbors to babysit for the night. They also have a son close to River's age, so I think he's going to be okay. And thanks, Ben. I'll see you later," Karen said and they hung up.

Ben turned to Elle. "I'm sorry, baby," he began, but she shook her head.

"Don't apologize, not for this," she said firmly. "Why don't you drop me off at the apartment? That way you won't have to worry about me being alone."

"I'll be home later anyway," he said.

"Didn't you hear what Karen said? Her dad might not make it through the night. You guys used to be a family...still are a family. You should stick together during this difficult time," she said and gave him a reassuring smile. "And I'll be here waiting for you to come back."

When they stopped at the red light, Ben leaned over the seat to kiss Elle's forehead. "You're so good to me, Elle. I'm truly a lucky bastard."

He dropped her off at her apartment before going back to his house to pack an overnight bag. He didn't plan to stay if he could, but this would be the last thing he could do for Karen's father. If James needed to see him, he would be there for him, even if it meant staying up to be with him all night.

When Ben arrived at the hospice where James had been residing for the past three months, Karen and her sister Christine were already waiting for him in the lobby. They both looked worn out and their eyes and nose were red from crying. Ben gave them a quick hug.

"How is he?" he asked as the sisters led him towards James' room.

"Not good. He's on medication for the pain so he's pretty much not himself most of the time," Karen explained. Ben nodded and they entered the room together. James was half-sitting, half-laying on the bed, his head lolling about and it became apparent to Ben that he was struggling to see who was standing in the doorway. Ben had only visited him two weeks ago and was quite shocked at the rate of deterioration. He hurried to his bedside

.

"Hey, James," he said softly. "How're you doing?"

James' faded blue eyes blinked up at him. "And who the hell might you be?" he slurred.

"It's Ben, Daddy," Karen answered for him.

James was silent for a moment as if processing her words. Then he let out a small chuckle. "I know who you are; I was just playing with you." He started to cough.

"I'm sure you are, Daddy," Christine said quietly and went to pour him a glass of water. "Now calm down. You don't want the nurse to tell us to leave."

James took a small sip and gave the glass back to his daughter. "Ben... hmm... I hope you come bearing good news."

"Good news, James?" Ben asked.

"Why, marrying my Karen, of course," James answered with another chuckle. "I know you guys are engaged and all, but you know it's not the same. You know she's carrying your baby and about to pop." Ben glanced at Karen, who shrugged, not having a clue. James chuckled. "Boy, am I excited to have my grandbaby in my arms." He bent his arms close to his body as if holding a baby. "He looks just like Karen when she was a baby. No offense, Ben, but I think he takes after his mother's side of the family. River James Garrett... what a fine name you have, little baby." James put his arms down at his sides and leaned back with his eyes closed, apparently tired out.

Ben leaned over and was just about to tell James to get some rest when he opened his eyes again and looked around as if looking for something. "Ben, my boy, you're here. Where's my grandson? Didn't you bring him too?"

"Oh, uh... he's just... he's gone to the washroom," Ben stammered out a lie.

James looked up at him and chuckled. "Why, yes, Karen told me he just learned to go to the toilet himself. He's getting to be such a big boy, isn't he?" He closed his eyes again, his face etched in a smile. "Yes, Karen is graduating from college soon. She makes her old man proud."

"Dad, why don't you get some sleep?" Karen said softly. "You have enough excitement for a day."

James grunted in reply and not a minute later started to snore. The three of them looked at each other briefly and Christine tilted her head to the side, indicating that they should let their father take a rest. She pulled the curtains around the bed and the three went to the sitting area on the other side of the room. All the rooms at the hospice were spacious and comfortable with its' own private ensuite. There was a counter in the corner that housed a microwave and an electric kettle and a television on the cabinet in the sitting area.

"Has James been like this all day?" Ben asked.

Karen nodded. "It's the side effects of the pain medication." She smiled weakly. "I don't know what's worse: to have him to have a clear mind and crying in pain or to have him being confused but free from pain."

Ben shook his head, feeling sorry for James. "Do you guys need to run errands or take a break? I plan to stay for a while anyway," he said.

"I think I'll go for a coffee at the café next door," Karen said. "Do you want me to get you anything?"

"No, I'm fine," he said.

"I better head home to take a shower," Christine said.

The sisters left and Ben took out his phone to send Elle a text to let her know the current situation and promised to call later. Then he took out his tablet that he had packed earlier from his overnight bag. He figured he could read whilst James rested. When Karen came back an hour later, she had a couple of brown sacks in her arms and put them on the counter.

"I brought some sandwiches in case we get hungry later," she said. "Christine said she will be here with Mom and Neil in half an hour." Neil was Karen and Christine's stepfather and he had been married to their mother for over twenty years. Karen came over to take a seat on the couch opposite from him. "Has Dad wakened up?"

"No, he's been sleeping since you went out," he said. "A nurse just left five minutes ago after checking on him."

"I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time," Karen said apologetically.

"Don't worry about it," Ben assured.

"Mama... I mean, Sabrina, told me about the dinner you guys had," she said. "I'm glad things are working out for you and Elle."

He nodded. "Thanks, I'm glad too."

Their conversation halted when Christine arrived with Alice and Neil. They sat and talked quietly while waiting for James to wake and the nurses came in twice more to check on him. When the afternoon gradually turned to early evening and he still hadn't wakened, Ben went to get the doctor. The doctor then told them that James' pulse had gotten weaker and his blood pressure had dropped, signs that his body was shutting down. While it was still too early to tell, it was possible that he might have fallen into a coma already and might not wake up again.

They gathered around his bed and said a prayer. Ben wiped away the tears that had escaped and repeated the words in his heart for the man who had been almost like a father to him.

James still hadn't stirred when Alice and Neil decided to leave near midnight and Christine was to send them home. Alice bent to kiss James' cheek and whispered a goodbye in his ear while Neil clasped his cool and limp hand. Ben and Karen bid them both good night and promised to call them if there were any changes. Christine planted a kiss on her father's forehead, telling him she would be right back.

Ben and Karen kept vigil for another hour. "You want to get some sleep?" he asked when Karen let out a yawn. "You must be exhausted."

She smiled. "You're right. I'll just go lay down on the couch for a while." Most of the lights in the room had already been switched off earlier except for the one on the bedside table. Ben walked over to the recliner next to the bed and leaned back.

He thought of his grandfather. Ben had been there when Tom drew his last breath and now Ben was reliving it again with James. His mind flashed to another time in the future, far into the future, when he would be old and gray and on his deathbed. He pictured a grown-up version of River, looking like Ben was now, but with dark blond hair, sitting by him. His heart ached for the grown-up River and he briefly wondered if Tom had felt the same way for him, or if James was feeling the same thing for his daughters, even now in his comatose state.

The sound of rustling fabric caused Ben to snap out of his musings and only then did he notice James was stirring. He leaped up from the recliner and was immediately at James' side.

"James?" he said softly. "Are you okay?" James' head lolled towards the direction of Ben's voice and he opened his eyes slowly with a groan.

A second later, Karen appeared on the other side of the bed; apparently, she had also heard him. "Daddy? Daddy!" she called frantically. "Daddy, are you okay? Can you hear me?" James groaned again and his facial muscles tensed.

"He must be in pain," Ben said. "I'll go fetch the nurse."

"No..." James whispered, effectively stopping Ben in his tracks. "There's no need." He drew in several ragged breaths before continuing. "I need the pain to tell me at least... I'm still alive."

"Oh, Daddy," Karen sobbed.

James turned to his daughter. "Dear Karen, please don't cry." He mustered a weak smile. "I'm here. And I am so happy you two are here together." James took both Ben's and Karen's hands, slowly pulling until their hands were joined, one on top of the other. "You two have separated long enough; it's time to get back together." James looked up at his daughter with tears in his eyes. "I loved your mother, Karen, and I love her still. But I was a foolish man— I had given up the woman I loved rather than to tell her I was sorry. Do not be like me. Do not let pride get in the way to happiness."

Karen nodded with a sob. "I promise I won't, Daddy."

"That's my good girl," James said and closed his eyes. "Now why don't you go get the nurse for me, dear Karen? The pain's getting unbearable."

"Okay, Daddy, I'll go get the nurse for you." And with that, she ran out of the room.

Ben looked at James, his eyes still closed but his facial muscles were relaxed now. "God be with you. Go in peace, James," he whispered and watched as James let out a long breath, almost like a sigh, and stilled.

Chapter 17

"The funeral's scheduled for Wednesday," Ben said as Elle took a seat next to him on the couch. He had gone over to her apartment as soon as he had settled all the matters at the hospice and James' body was sent to the morgue. Karen had been near hysterical when she had returned with the nurse and found her father had gone without saying goodbye. The doctor came in to certify the time of death and when Christine returned, Ben left the sisters to mourn for their father. He went to see the nurses to arrange for morgue services and to fill in the necessary paperwork because it would all come down to this in the end: a list of paperwork to be filled up and filed away.

12