High School Again? Ugh! Ch. 04

Story Info
Viva Las Vegas! A much needed break, at least at first.
13.6k words
4.75
120k
69
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,309 Followers

Author's note: Sorry it took so long to get back to this story. Life got in the way. Also, I had a bit of a problem writing it. You see, I know where I want this story to go, but sometimes the story takes over when you're writing it. I finished my first draft of this chapter and liked it. The only problem was that it took a right turn from where I wanted the story to go. So after much thought (and rewrites), I was able to save the part I liked and get the story back on track. I'll make an effort not to take so long on the next chapter, as long as Life cooperates (for a change) :). JD

**********

"Jesus kid, you're on one hell of a roll!" the guy next to me said as I collected on an early football game.

"Yeah," I said, but then thought, 'Damn! Time to throw a couple bets. I can't afford to lose all that much yet, but I can't keep winning either. If this guy noticed how well I'm doing, then I'm sure the casino is already keeping an eye on me.'

I bet randomly for a while, throwing away about a quarter of the money I'd won. The worse part was the waiting. You could bet all kinds of crazy things in sports betting, especially in Vegas, but I took my time losing since I figured I needed to bet the same way I had been not to draw attention to myself.

I noticed the guy who made the comment was following my bets carefully now. I shook my head and drank while I waited, but didn't let myself become drunk. On the other hand, I was pretty buzzed after a while. My mind kept trying to drift back to my trip here.

I used the money I'd saved up for a car and bought a plane ticket to Las Vegas soon after leaving my parents. I camped out in the airport until the flight took off. I arrived last night. Renting a room made most of the money I had left disappear.

This morning was interesting. I needed money and the quickest way to get it was to bet on sporting games where I knew the outcome. Of course, that was easier said then done. I spent two hours racking my brains and reviewing the newspapers, trying to remember enough about the games that were happening today.

I was lucky in that it was a Sunday, so I had football as well as baseball to bet on. Of course, that was only so much help. The truth was that even when I could remember which team won, I wasn't sure if they covered the spread in most cases. Thank God my father was a sports addict and that I remembered which teams had nice runs during my senior year of high school.

'High school, ugh!' I thought. 'Let's not go there!'

In the end I had two games that were sure things, a few games that I was pretty confident in and a few more where I thought I knew what was going to happen. It wasn't great, but it was enough.

I waited for one of my sure things and bet everything I had on it. It wasn't that impressive of an amount, but almost doubling it helped. After that I gambled with the money I won, putting some of it aside with every win. I lost some as well because of the spreads, but even after losing the last few bets I was doing okay. I had about the same amount as I started with before leaving home.

"Ah well," I sighed loudly, looking at the guy who made the comment before. "You win some, you lose some."

"Maybe you do," he snorted. "Not me."

"Having a bad night?" I asked politely.

"Kid, if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have none at all," he replied, causing me to laugh. It was his expression that did it.

"I'm John," I said, holding out my hand.

"Angelo," he said, taking my hand and shaking it. He was dressed in a very nice sports coat. He obviously had money. I guessed his age to be around the mid forties.

"Nice to meet you," I smiled as I stood. "I'm sure I'll see you around. I think it's time I moved on. Maybe I'll find my luck at the next hotel. Have a good night."

"Thanks kid," he said. "Don't worry about your luck. It only went south when I started betting along with you. It should come back quick enough."

I felt bad for Angelo. It wasn't because he was losing money. He didn't seem bothered by that. He just looked to be having a bad time of things. I could relate.

"If you're interested, I do have one more bet in mind that I think looks pretty good," I offered.

"Sure, why not?" he shrugged. I gave him my other sure thing. It was on a football game. He looked at me in surprise. "You serious?"

"Yep," I smiled.

"But the spread is fourteen," Angelo frowned.

"They'll cover it easy," I said confidently. "I'm betting everything I have on it, but not here. I'm going to place the bet at the next hotel over and get something to eat."

"Food," he said, shaking his head. "What a interesting concept."

"You're welcome to join me," I offered, not sure why.

"Aren't you afraid that I'll bring my bad luck with me?" he joked half-heartedly.

"I'm willing to chance it," I laughed.

We moved on and I placed my bet at the next hotel. Angelo placed a number of bets, including a large one on the team I suggested. A very pretty lady met him the moment we arrived. She made sure he had everything he could possibly want. She sat us at a table and made sure we had drinks.

"Service with a smile," I said, shaking my head as the pretty woman went to set up dinner for us. "I take it you gamble here a lot?"

"Here, there, everywhere," he shrugged. "But only a few times a year. I gamble big so the hotels make sure I'm taken care of. Celia for this hotel, Jennifer the one next door and Teresa the one after that."

"Must be nice," I smiled.

"Sometimes," he said, not really looking at me. "It beats being alone."

"Sounds like someone needs to get laid," I joked, knowing that wasn't what he meant, but not knowing him well enough to probe.

"That comes later," he laughed. "For a price."

"You know," I said thoughtfully as I sipped my drink. "That's something I've never done. Paid for sex."

"First of all," he laughed. "You're still pretty young. Second of all, we all pay for sex one way or another. Hell, I'm still paying alimony to my ex-wife and we haven't had sex in years." It was my turn to laugh.

Celia returned and led us to a room where we ate and watched the game we bet on. Angelo was good company. He was funny and gregarious. The time flew by. The team I picked won handily and it seemed to make him happy. The fact that he lost most of his other bets didn't seem to bother him at all.

"Here kid," he said, holding out a wad of cash after Celia returned with our winnings. I was putting mine away. "Think of it as commission for giving me a sure thing."

"No thanks," I smiled. "I don't take money from friends."

"So now we're friends?" he asked, putting the cash away. He was looking at me carefully. I was guessing that Angelo could use a friend right now almost as badly as I could.

"Well, if you promise to stop calling me kid," I smiled.

"Sounds reasonably sonny," he joked.

"Sonny? Really?" I asked, shaking my head, but then grinned and added, "Have fun if you must Gramps."

"Ouch!" he cried. "Now that hurt!"

"Truce?" I offered.

"Sounds good John," he laughed.

We say there talking about nothing important. We made a few more bets on a couple of baseball games. I told him some of my feelings, but also was sure to make it clear that I wasn't nearly as confident with these bets as I was the first. We ended up winning two out of the three. He tried to give me money again, but I pushed it away.

"Angelo, thanks, but no thank," I said. "And please stop trying to give me money. I'm good."

"Fair enough," he smiled, standing and stretching. "I'm off to meet a friend. You're welcome to join me. I'm sure she'll have a friend for you as well. I'll even pay."

"Again with the money," I laughed. I thought about his offer. He was obviously going to meet with a high priced prostitute. It was tempting, but for some reason I couldn't do it. "No thanks." Angelo looked at me oddly for a moment and then nodded.

"Give whoever she is a call," he said.

"What?" I asked in surprise.

"Kid, you're obviously here to get away," he said. "I don't know what from, but I recognize the look. I see it in the mirror every morning. On the other hand, it's just as obvious that there's a girl on your mind. Call her."

"I don't think so," I said more to myself then him.

"John, take it from me," he sighed. "I'm a bit older than you. If you have someone you care about, don't blow it. Call her and let her know you're okay. If I had someone, that's what I'd be doing."

'Okay, so he's not older,' I thought. 'But then again, he's probably not wrong either, or at least he wouldn't be in this were a normal situation.'

"In either case," Angelo said when I didn't respond. "I'll be seeing you. Thanks for the good time."

"No, thank you," I smiled. "And have fun tonight."

"Oh I will," he grinned, but there was a sadness in his eyes that made me think of Tara.

"See you around," I said, standing and shaking his hand.

"Definitely," he smiled. "Now be a good boy and go do what I said."

I shook my head, laughed and left. I was tired so I went to my room. I lay in bed for a while, but sleep wouldn't come. It was pretty late back home, but I found myself dialing.

"Hello?" I heard on the phone.

"Hey pop," I said. "I just wanted you to know I'm okay."

"John!" my father said in relief. Of course, the conversation didn't go as well after that. I let him rant for a bit.

"Dad, like I said in my note, I just need some time," I said after he ran down. "I'll be home once I get my head back together."

"Do you need anything?" he asked, obviously at a loss as to what else to say.

"Just your patience and trust," I said. "Is mom there?"

That conversation was far more difficult than the one with dad. Mom cried. I spoke with her for quite a while and although I'm not sure she understood, she did finally seem to accept what I was saying. She insisted I speak to Cindy. That went better. My little sister was fine once she heard my voice.

I hung up the phone and sighed. I didn't want to think about home, but I should have done that sooner. I knew better. The next call I made only rang twice before it was picked up.

"Johnny, it's about time you called," I heard Tara say.

"How did you know?" I asked in surprise.

"Who else would call this late?" she asked in reply.

"Fair point," I said. "Sorry."

"Did you speak to your parents yet?" she asked, ignoring my apology.

"A couple of minutes ago," I answered.

"Good, they were worried sick," Tara said, and then after a brief pause added, "Me too."

"Sorry," I said again.

"Where are you?" she asked, obviously in no mood to accept my apology. She was angry. I could tell even over the phone.

"Las Vegas," I replied.

"Where are you staying?" she asked. I told her and I could almost hear her shaking her head. "Did you really have to leave like that?"

"At the time it seemed necessary," I sighed.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked.

"Not really," I said. "Maybe when I get home."

"So, you do plan on coming back?" she asked.

It was an interesting question, but the answer was obvious. I knew that eventually I'd have to go home and deal with what I left behind. My parents were still there and they needed me. So was Cindy. There were other reasons to return, but I didn't want to focus on them despite being on the phone with the biggest one.

"Of course," I answered.

"Of course," she repeated in a monotone.

"Tara, are you okay?" I asked in concern.

"Johnny, do you really care or are you just asking to be kind?" she asked in reply.

"I called, didn't I?" I offered.

"Yes, yes you did," she replied. She was obviously thinking something. I could tell by her tone. "Whatever you're doing, hurry up. We need to talk, but it's not a conversation for over the phone."

"I miss you Tara," I found myself saying.

"Then come home," she said.

"Not yet," I sighed. "I can't." There was a hesitation on the line before she finally spoke.

"Okay," Tara said. "But don't think I won't come out there and get you if you stay too long. Your family needs you. So do I."

'Wow,' I thought, feeling my heart beat faster. 'Did she really just say that?'

I had no idea how Tara and I had become so close so quickly. I was afraid it was the Fates playing games, but on the other hand, I felt what I felt. Obviously, so did Tara.

"It's good to hear your voice," I said. "We'll talk the next time we meet."

"And they'll be no more secrets after that," she said pointedly.

"Sure," I said. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye," she replied and we both hung up.

I stood there looking at the phone for a while. Could I really do it? Could I tell Tara about what happened? My head started hurting.

"I came here to get away from thinking about stuff like this," I sighed out loud. I'd think about it later.

**********

"Two black," the croupier announced. "Two black."

"Oh shit!" I said in surprise. "I won."

That wasn't supposed to happen. I was working on losing a bunch of money tonight. It was the end of the week and I decided it was time to blow some cash just for the hell of it. I already bought some clothes, paid for my hotel room and had quite a bit of cash stashed away. The money in my pocket was burn money.

"Wow! Congratulations!" the redhead next to be said excitedly. Her name was Lily and I was pretty sure she was a plant by one of the hotels to keep an eye on me. Either that, or she was a prostitute. Hell, maybe she was both. She also happened to be good company. I liked her. She helped keep me distracted, especially with Angelo wanting a night in.

I figured he was probably visiting one of the high priced call girls he favored, or maybe tonight he was having one visit him. Either way worked I guess. Angelo was a good guy. We'd spent most of the week together, joking and laughing. It some ways it didn't make sense. We weren't that much alike, but sometimes people just hit it off. Maybe we both needed a friend.

It didn't take long for us to grown close enough for me to find out that he was a well off stockbroker who owned his own business. He had plenty of money, but was obviously hitting his midlife crisis.

He got pretty drunk one night and told me how he'd trade it all for someone to love. It was sad, but understandable. Of course, the next morning he acted fine and it was like we never had the conversation. Angelo wasn't the type to complain and was obvious embarrassed that he said what he did. I knew it was just hitting him hard this trip. I remember vacations like that.

"John?" Lily frowned.

"Sorry and thanks," I smiled, shaking my head. "I'm just amazed at my luck this week."

Of course, that was only partially true. My luck at the tables has been okay. The house had the advantage and they took me just like the rest of the tourists, but I was doing considerably better in sports betting than anyone had a right to be doing. At first I felt guilty placing bets that I knew were sure wins, but frankly it was hard work remembering games from this far in the past. It helped that I seldom paid for anything anymore. I still refused to let Angelo give me cash, but you'd be amazed how much a hotel was willing to comp a guy like him.

"I'm hungry," I said, cashing out and over tipping the croupier impressively. "Do you want to get something to eat?"

"Sure," Lily said, flashing me a million-dollar smile.

"Thanks," the croupier said.

"Luck is meant to be shared," I shrugged and started to move away from the table with Lily on my arm.

"How about sharing some of it with me?" one of the guys at the table asked, causing a general laughter.

"Say a prayer to Tyche, the goddess of luck," I joked back.

"Is that what you do? Pray to a goddess?" Lilly asked as we moved toward the elevators.

"No, but it can't hurt," I smiled, wondering if Tyche could hear prayers wherever she was at the moment.

The last few days had been a godsend. I think it was because here I was simply John Simmons. It didn't matter if I was eighteen or one hundred and eighty. I had money and that's all that mattered in Vegas. I wasn't reliving or even trying to relive my old life. I was just enjoying myself. Of course, I missed home and my family. Tara too.

"What's her name?" Lily asked looking at me oddly.

"Pardon?" I asked.

"I can always tell when I guy I'm with is thinking of another woman," she replied. "Do you have a wife?"

"Not even a girlfriend," I replied. Lily obviously thought I was older than I was. Of course, these days people did get married younger.

"But you love her," the redhead said confidently.

"I barely know her," I said.

"I knew there was a girl!" Lily grinned, causing me to shake my head in defeat. "What's her name?"

"Tara," I replied. It was the truth after all.

"Is she the reason why you're here?" the redhead asked. I decided I had enough of her probing questions.

"Let's not talk about her. Let's talk about us," I said, moving close and trying to kiss her. She stopped me by placing two hands on my chest.

"I'm not that kind of a girl," she said softly, looking suddenly nervous. I believed her. I backed off.

"Sorry," I said, thinking, 'Prostitute is out. That only leaves the other possibility. She works for one of the hotels.'

"It's no big deal," she said more calmly, moving away from me. "I didn't mean to lead you on."

"Sure you did," I disagreed, but then shrugged and added, "That's what beautiful girls do."

"Wow!" she said, looking at me oddly. "You way too cynical for a guy your age."

"You have no idea," I laughed, although I didn't find what she said remotely funny anymore.

"Someone had to break your heart pretty badly for that kind of a reaction," Lily said. "Was it this Tara?"

"Nope," I said. "It happened a long time ago and I'd rather not think about it."

"Sorry," she said, but she didn't sound like it. "Let's change the subject. How do you decided which teams to pick when you bet on them?"

'Okay, she must be new at this,' I sighed. 'So much for liking her.'

"I mean, I hear you did amazing well last night," she added.

"Last night was pretty good," I said, remembering the lump of cash I took away with me from the hotel across the street. At least now I knew where Lily worked.

"How did you do it?" she asked.

"My father is a big sports fan, especially baseball," I said. "I've been following it since before I could walk."

"So?" she asked. "A lot of people are fans. How did you know who to pick?"

"Just lucky I guess," I shrugged. "I mean, I have a good feeling about..."

I proceeded to talk to her about the team I knew would eventually win the World Series as we took the elevator down to the hotel lobby. I gave her a whole bunch of reasons why I thought they'd win despite not being favored.

"Wow," she said. "You really do follow baseball."

I saw her expression and knew that she was buying my story. Lily would report back to her boss what I'd said and hopefully everything would be okay. I'd stay away from that hotel from now on, just in case.

"You know, I think I'm more tired than hungry," I said, just before we left the hotel. "I'm sorry, but it's time to turn in. I'll see you later." It was after two in the morning and even this younger body felt it after a week of abuse. Time was difficult to follow in Vegas.

"Oh," she said, sounding disappointed. "Okay."

I left her standing there and went to my hotel. The elevator up was thankfully empty. I lay in bed thinking about Lily briefly, but then my mind drifted to home. This was the first night I let myself dwell on it since arriving in Vegas. At least I could think about it more calmly now. On the other hand, being calm didn't really help.

I knew that despite this trip being good for me, I was actually in a bit of a funk. In short, I was depressed.

JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,309 Followers