Highland Magic Ch. 12

Story Info
Going against family.
1.3k words
4.73
21.1k
5

Part 12 of the 34 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/30/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He sat at the table and listened closely. The plan was ludicrous. He knew that. He also knew that if he would be a dead man if anyone ever knew he had any involvement. He watched the pacing soldier with a close eye, and wondered what broke his sanity.

"What say you, laird?"

"You do know what would happen to me if I were to go along with you, don't you?" he asked the younger soldier. He seemed to think on that a moment before speaking.

"Aye, it would mean that you would break your oath of alliance with him."

The old laird nodded. "Aye, it would cause a great rift amongst my clan. Many of the women are Frasers by blood, and they're husbands loyal to he and I both." That seemed to make the soldier stop dead in his tracks.

"So you will not help me, Liam?" Liam McCullom stood on shaky knees and sighed.

"Nay Alex, I willna. I canna go against Cien. If you had thought about this before coming to me, you would know this too." He shook his old scruffy head and sighed again. "I canna believe he would allow a witch into his home. And marriage? The lad is the farthest from it. I donna see him getting married any time in the near or distant future."

"I tell you laird, he is going to marry the witch!" Alex yelled loudly.

"Enough!" Liam yelled, making the soldier jump back a step. "You disgrace me, my clan and my hall by thinking I would betray my ally so. You have seconds to get off of my land or I shall hang you myself."

Alex took a step forward, but was suddenly blocked by two warriors that he hadn't seen before. "Leave my hall!" Liam commanded.

Alex turned and strode quickly, leaving the hold never to return. Liam sighed and sat down slowly in the Larid's chair.

Glancing up at the two warriors, he motioned to the tallest. "Ready my horses, son. Gather a garrison. We leave for Fraser land on the hour." Grady stood from his father's side and nodded quickly.

"It shall be done, sire."

~~~~~

It was dusk when the riders neared the gates. "Riders at the gate!" The guards men called. A group of soldiers saddled up and rode out of the gates to investigate. The two groups stopped and spoke quickly, before the guests followed the soldiers in.

"Laird McCollum!" One of the soldiers cried out. A soldier hearing the call ran into the hall from the bailey.

"Laird," he said as he bowed at the table. Cien sat at dinner enjoying a delightful conversation with Rose when the soldier interrupted.

"Aye?"

"Riders, at the gates," the soldier replied. "Laird McCollum." Cien smiled and nodded to the soldier.

"My thanks, John. Bring Liam in when he arrives in the bailey." The soldier bowed again and left the hall to do Cien's bidding.

"Who is Laird McCollum?" Rose asked politely from his side.

Smiling down at her, Cien couldn't believe how lucky he was. It was only a few weeks ago when he told Alex he would never wed, that he had no inclination to wed. But now, he wanted to jump up and swing Rose around and around.

"Cien?"

Clearing his throat, he answered her question. "Laird McCollum was my father's dearest friend. He is my strongest ally, and a good friend. He is someone we can greatly count on."

Rose smiled and began to talk Tilda of wedding arrangements. Ak, Cien thought. Women's things.

"Cien!" Liam boomed from the entrance to the hall.

Cien stood and met the old soldier in a brief hug. "It has been much to long old friend."

"Aye, much too long." Cien looked to his side and found Grady there.

"Grady, it is good to see you." Grady looked him over with a watchful eye.

"Yer in a fine mood. Too much wine this eve?"

Cien laughed full and heartily. "Nay, Grady. Not the wine. Simply the company of good friends and the company of a beautiful woman at my side." Grady lifted an eye brow and glanced at the table.

He saw Rose immediately.

"It that the Lady Rose?" He asked cautiously.

"Aye, it is, friend. She is lovely is she not?" Rose blushed and smiled up at Cien.

"Surely you jest, Laird." Cien laughed whole and robust again. Shaking his head he looked back at Liam.

"Why the sudden meeting, Liam? What are the tidings?"

"Not good ones I afear, Cien." Liam said. "Mayhap we can speak privately?"

Cien regarded him silently for a moment and then nodded. "Up to my chamber. Tilda," he called out as he lead the way, "bring wine and food for our guests to my chamber."

Tilda stood and nodded, heading off to the kitchen.

Cien lead the men up the stairs and into his chamber. He had several chairs in the room as it was used for meetings more often than not. When everyone had entered the room and Tilda was gone, Cien closed the door and spoke softly.

"What brings you to my land, Liam?"

"Alex."

The one word sent a shiver down Cien's spine.

"What of him?"

Liam spent the next hour filling Cien in on Alex's activities. How he had come to him begging him to help him get me for war against Cien, and how Cien was about to marry a witch. And trying adamantly to convince him that he needed to help him burn the Lady Rose as soon as possible.

"Such treachery, and by your own kin. What would cause him to do such a thing?" Grady asked.

"He tried to burn Rose for a witch in her own chamber. I banished him from Fraser land." He stated in a deadpan voice. "The bastard!" He side gaining furiousness in a matter of moments. He stood and paced like a caged tiger in front of the fire.

"Is there anything else?"

"Nay, only that he is looking for a clan to go against you."

Cien seethed for a few more minutes before finally stopping and gazing into the fire. "Will you help me find him? He has got to be stopped. Surely you see that Liam? He will not stop until Rose is dead. And I shall not stop until I see his head on a pike."

"Cien, stop." Liam said. "You sound as blood thirsty as the English."

Cien only stared into the fire.

Liam sighed and thought. He was not only the boy's godfather, but his friend and ally. With a sad shake of his head, he sighed. "Aye, of course we will stand with you, Cien. But I have one question."

"Aye?"

"Is she a witch?"

Cien turned and gave over the full rath of his fury onto the look he gave Liam. "Aye, its understood. She is not a witch."

Standing he touched Cien's shoulder. "We will sleep for tonight now, and on the morrow we will figure out a plan. We will beat Alex at his own game, Cien. That is a promise to you."

Cien nodded. "I need to speak to Rose."

He left the room in a huff and after a quick look down stairs he knew she was in her chamber.

Climbing the stairs two at a time, he neared her room quickly. Pounding on it soundly, he wanted to break the door down. "Rose, open the door."

Rose came to the door in her dressing gown and a wrapper. "Yes, Cien, what is it?" Cien stared at her for a minute.

"You are henceforth restricted to the castle." He turned to leave when she caught his arm.

"Excuse me? YOu can't do that."

"I am Lard, Rose. I can do as I please."

His harsh tone of voice, made her stumble back into her room and close and lock the door. If he wanted to be a jerk, then fine, she'd let him be a jerk. But she damn well wasn't going to take it!