Highland Magic Ch. 27

Story Info
The rescue?
804 words
4.79
12.8k
3

Part 27 of the 34 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/30/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cien held his hand out to his cousin and waited. Alex looked down at the hand in front of him and then up at his cousin, confusion on his face. "Give it to me, Alex." Alex watched him carefully for a moment, the torch in question, burning nearly silently in his raised hand. Finally he must have seen what he expected to see, because he sighed and shook his head at Cien.

"I canna cousin."

"Give me the torch, Alex," Cien commanded softly, anger seeping into his voice.

"Nay. You still care for the witch. This is the only way." Alex stepped around Cien and bent to light the pyre.

"NO!" Cien screamed and rushed at Alex. But he stopped. His sudden stop made Cien stop and stare at his cousin. He stood slowly and turned to Cien. An arrow stuck out from his chest. Somewhere in the crowd a woman screamed. Her scream was followed by others.

Alex dropped to the ground in front of Cien, staring down at the thing in his chest, almost as if he couldn't believe it was stuck in his chest. Maybe he couldn't believe it. Cien looked up at Regan in disbelief. For a split second he thought she'd done it until he saw her. She was blowing at her feet hastily. She was going to hyperventilate. Behind her, he saw two of his men shooting arrows into the soldiers.

Looking back at Regan, he realized why she was blowing so hard at her feet. Alex had dropped the torch on the kindling of the pyre. It was quickly engulfing the dried wood at her feet. "Regan!" Her eyes darted up to his and they had a perfect moment of understanding. She was not going to die, and if she did, he'd die trying to save her.

Regan quit blowing on the wood at her feet and began to struggle against the ropes on her hands. Cien rushed forward, jumping on to the pyre narrowly jumping past the growing flames. He pulled his dagger and sliced through the bonds easily enough.

Regan sagged against him, and he readily caught her weight. Lifting her easily, he coughed on the rising smoke. "Cien!" Owen stood just out of the flames holding his hands out. "Throw her to me. I'll catch her!"

Cien hefted her back and tossed her body over the flames and into Owens arms. Her body had long since gone limp and still. Cien dove through the flames praying for no serious damage. He rolled into the cold dirt of the ground, and rolled around putting out the small fire on his plaid.

He stood carefully, and although the world spun for only a moment, he righted himself and got to Owen's side.

Owen looked up at his laird and wanted to fix this in any way he could.

"She isn't breathing, Laird."

"Give her to me!" Cien roared as he ripped her out of Owen's arms. He lay her gently on the cool ground, and listened for her breath. When she didn't take any, he opened her lips and pressed his to hers and breathed into her.

"Breathe...." He prayed out loud. The breath of life worked sometimes and sometimes not.

He prayed it would work this time.

He breathed into her again and felt wetness sliding down his face. He hadn't realized it was raining. "Regan..." He whispered. "Please love, breathe...." Giving her breath one last time, Cien gave up.

Racking coughs erupted from her throat, pulling her to her side, barely being able to bring enough breath in to make the coughs. Her entire body was racked with them. Cien leaned over her, amazement in his every feature. Gently he pulled her hair from her face, and rubbing her back as she coughed.

"Water!" He cried out hoarsely, never looking up from her. He only hoped someone went for water or they would all be in hell. Finally the coughing subsided enough that she could look up at him.

"Cien," her voice sounded hurt and harsh, as if it pained her to speak that one simple word. He picked her up gently, and brought her to him. With her head lay against his chest, he realized it wasn't raining at all. He was crying.

"Cien," she repeated. "Please..." Cien looked down into her face and knew something was wrong. Something was more than wrong. "Promise me..." Her voice cracked. "Future... Go..."

"Regan, I-"

"Please." Her eyes pleaded in ways that her mouth and voice could not.

"I promise." She nodded and Cien looked up.

"Ready the horses. We ride to home!"

A loud cheer erupted from behind him and he realized that his men had fought the battle without him. He didn't mind in the least. Regan was alive. That was all that mattered.