Highland Magic Ch. 28

Story Info
Problems along the way...
926 words
4.77
14.3k
2

Part 28 of the 34 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/30/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a long hard ride. Cien kept Regan with him, holding her gingerly in his arms. She was bruised to high heaven, he knew. Subconsciously he tightened his hold on her as he thought of the way she was beaten right in front of him. She groaned in response, and he instantly eased up on her.

She'd slept most of the last few days away, and for that reason alone, he'd known she was well and truly hurt. Last night as she'd slept before the fire, he'd checked her for broken bones and bruises. She'd had no broken bones, but enough bruises on her body, chest and legs that he was worried. The bruises and welts were bright and angry. Some red and purple, blue and black while others still were yellowed with age. She had a dark black and purple bruise high on her chest, near her collar and heart.

That one worried him the most.

They'd split with his men yesterday, telling them to continue on to the keep to prepare a feast. He was going to take her into the forest to Maggie. Hopefully the healer could help her. Cien glanced down at the raven haired beauty on sleeping so soundly in his lap and on his chest and felt his entire body ache. He did not want this for her.

Guilt seeped into him like a roaring tidal wave.

He should never have left her the way that he did. Never. He should have stayed by her side and sent his men after Alex. There was a brief pang of regret over his cousin's death, but it was quickly pushed aside when he looked down at her again.

He was really going to kill her.

The disbelief he'd held on to the entire time he looked for his cousin was gone now. Alex was insane. He saw that in his eyes as he tried to kill this innocent creature. Knew it in the depths of his soul, and still felt a distant pang of regret.

He hadn't been able to find Tilda at the keep, and look mightily hard he had. He knew that Alex had taken her along with Regan, but there was narry a sign of her. He'd questioned Regan about it gently last night, but at the sign of her tears and horrified eyes, he wasn't sure he wanted to know more. Regan told him slowly, between halting breaths, what had happened to his sister.

He sat shocked for a long time. Tilda was gone?

She looked like their mother, her bouncy red hair, and easy smile. She would have made a good wife and mother some day to one of his soldiers. He knew he would have to go back for her body, to make sure she had a true Christian burial. He shed tears for her.

But for now, he had to care for his bride.

He led the horse down the next path in the forest and knew it was only a few more minutes ride to Maggie's hut. He didn't want to, but he knew he had best wake her now. Leaning his head down next to hers, he spoke softly.

"Regan. Regan, wake up lass. We're at Maggie's Hut." Slowly, she opened her eyes, blinking away the sleep that had held her captive these long hours. Slowly her eyes became clear and alert, as she darted her glance around the forest.

"We are going to Maggie's house? Why?"

"I fear you need to be truly well again, and Maggie is the only healer I dare trust with you."

"I'm perfectly fine, Cien. You worry too much." She gave him a disgruntled look, and he laughed. Never before had any one accused him of worrying too much. That was something he did not ever take a shine to. He supposed he had now.

"We will see Maggie." He didn't leave room for an argument.

She grunted and didn't look up at him. He couldn't contain his smile. Even injured she had spunk.

Maggie was standing at the door of the small hut when they broke into the clearing. She waited patiently as Cien pulled Regan down gently from the horse. Regan let out small whimpers of pain and knew that Maggie could hear her. It bothered her to know, but she tried desperately to be as regal as possible. She was not going to faint from the pain burning in her stomach.

It was her last thought before she fell forward into the darkness.

Cien caught her as she pitched forward and lifted her easily. "Help her," he said helplessly.

Maggie looked at Regan's face as Cien passed her, entering the hut. "I will do my best, Cien. Many of her injuries look grave." Cien only nodded. The thought so as well.

He lay Regan on a soft pallet of straw, covered with a Fraser plaid. She whimpered in her faint, and grimaced. "At least she willna be awake for your examination."

"Aye, that would not be something to enjoy awake." Maggie checked on Regan and nodded, then turned to Cien. "Out."

"I will not leave."

"Aye, you will. She's a maiden, and I will not have you seeing her in all her glory,

Cien Fraser."

"Listen here, old woman-"

"Cien FRASER!"

"Saint Georges bones! Fine! I'll tend the horses. Be quick woman." Maggie grunted and didn't say anything else. Cien reluctantly left Regan to Maggie's care, and closed the door to the hut.

And counted the seconds till he could go back in.