Highwaymen Ch. 12

Story Info
Partners in crime.
2.4k words
4.64
9.1k
2
0

Part 12 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 08/19/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was around noon when they finally awoke. Joanna stretched her arms and legs like a cat, flexing wrists and ankles. As she moved from the bed the others stirred. Rosie looked aghast as she realised how late in the day it was already, but Joanna quickly assured the girl she would see her right with the landlord, and Terence added his own reassurance. Very hastily they dressed. Terence fished out a gold coin from his pouch as he and Joanna escorted Rosie, who now looked flushed and flustered once again, down to the landlord.

Terence had to suppress a laugh at the man's expression as he saw them approach, each holding one of Rosie's arms. He clearly had no idea how to react. He started to scold Rosie, but Terence cut in with an explanation, then as his words began to stumble Joanna took them up, explaining that the girl had been prevailed upon to help them prepare for departure, and saying they would pay him more than fairly to make amends for purloining one of his staff. Terence passed him the coin, and his manner changed abruptly. Rosie scurried off towards the kitchen.

Back in the room the two companions began an argument over payment. Terence found that Joanna, since his wounding, had quite a different opinion of their stay in the inn and wished to pay her half. But he was adamant that it had been his wish alone which had brought them here, and his fault that he had taken hurt. In the end Joanna gave way. Then they dressed, both in their various blacks, though Joanna could not put on some of her manly disguise to be seen here.

It emptied a good part of his purse as he paid their bill and tipped the landlord well, saying how he looked forward to returning soon. He also purchased more victuals to add to those which Joanna had already packed. The landlord was pleasant and would clearly be eager for more of their custom in the future, despite whatever it was they might do with his serving-wench. Joanna asked him to tell Rosie to look for them in the stables, and they strode through to find their mounts. After they had checked the horses and found them well cared for Joanna beat Terence to her pouch in tipping the stable-lad.

As they led their mounts into the yard Rosie came out. She looked upset to see them leaving, and Joanna caught her in one arm and hugged her, then Terence joined the scrum and all three clung together for a few moments, kissing and saying their farewells. After they broke apart the companions mounted and rode off into the mid-afternoon, turning and waving to the girl until they were out of sight.

Then Terence and Joanna joined eyes, and their mutual gaze spoke of a deepened affection and a shared regret at leaving Rosie. Terence drew a deep breath. "Well my dear companion, we are back on the road. And tonight we will sleep under the stars again, which should suit you. How long it seems already since that first eventful night!"

Joanna smiled back with warmth. She started to reply "Aye my love ..." and covered the slip by finishing "... of all things natural is strong. It will indeed be pleasant to sleep outdoors again." Terence smiled wider at her transparent attempt to cover that little word.

They rode on, both deep in thought. Then of a sudden Joanna broke into her throaty, most mischievous laugh. As Terence turned questioning eyes to her she held them levelly with her own and raised her eyebrows archly. "I was just thinking how much we have done, how in such a short time we have loved in quite a number of ways already!"

"Some of them entirely new to me." His reply was almost awed.

"And ...", her eyes glittered hungrily, "I still have much to show you, if you will dare it."

"Oh I think I will dare it!"

"Be careful what you commit to my man, you do not yet know the half of what I can offer!"

"Do I not? Yet I trust you woman. And I look forward to whatever surprises you may find for me. And to finding more surprises for you too."

She brooded on that a moment. "Indeed, you have surprised me once or twice already, particularly in your proclivity for inflicting pain. And that pleases me much!" She looked at him boldly, her eyes challenging, and their smiles engaged once more as he threw back her challenge with apparent ease.

His musings ran the gamut of loving in all the forms he had experienced with this girl. Then later he began to consider the replenishment of their purses. He had for a long time thought of a particular, likely very profitable interception of a mail-coach, not half a day's ride from here, but it had seemed too risky, given that it was known the driver and his mate were both pistol-armed. But, with the two of them working together, it would be a different matter!

"Well now my lady highwayman, we have a bargain struck. I have been thinking on our first joint business venture."

She tossed her head at him. "Then tell me!" And for the next half hour they discussed their intended business amiably, though she was still adamant that she should choose the place. They rode slowly, and after two or three hours Terence found his arm was growing stiff once more. He flexed it awkwardly, and Joanna's quick eyes caught the move with concern.

"Terence! You need rest." She looked ahead, spotted a likely copse. "There! We'll look for a sheltered spot in that little wood."

She led the way, dismounting first at the edge of the stand of trees and helping him down from his mare. They threaded through the trees until they found a rough spot large enough to accommodate them. Then, tethering their horses, they gathered up twigs and branches for a fire. Terence scraped out a hearth in the earth, clearing all vegetation to a safe distance, and set the fire. Soon they had a good little blaze going. Joanna sought out fish and vegetables and barley, and a few dried leaves of herbs from amongst their good store of provender, and set all to stewing in a pan of water sitting over the fire.

In less than an hour 's time Terence was sniffing at the tempting aroma hungrily, while Joanna urged him to patience so that the barley should be well softened before they ate. "You will get a belly ache if you don't wait, you boy!" she growled, smiling saucily. Terence found that the particular intonation with which she uttered the word "boy" sent a quite surprisingly pleasant tingle coursing down his spine, so he made no protest at the epithet. Joanna noted this lack of complaint smugly. Terence praised his companion's domestic skills profusely as they ate their fill.

By now it was grown dark and the companions doused the fire and set off for their intersection with the main turnpike, only a few miles distant. Once there, they spied out the land. Inevitably they disagreed over where was the best point to waylay the stagecoach, but they had struck a bargain and so Terence necessarily gave way, though not before he had voiced some protest.

Then Joanna disappeared into the spinney she had chosen for the interception, carrying one of her saddlebags. When she re-emerged a few minutes later Terence smiled. "Now you are the man indeed!" He looked at her chest. Now that he knew the secret hidden under doublet and shirt and tight-laced corset he could see that the little swelling was not quite the right shape for a man, but none would remark it unless they already knew the secret, he was sure. He found himself strangely aroused by her appearance, her blue eyes bright and glittering in the thin strip of flesh revealed between black kerchief and dark, flowing hair. Her movement as always was lithe and her smile when it crinkled at the corners of her eyes was winsome.

When he sighed, Joanna knew he was feeling lustful. It pleased her well to know how he reacted, and more so that he found her alluring in such unlikely garb. Once more her thoughts strayed to musing on what she might yet teach this man who was older but, in some things at least, much less experienced than she. With effort she pulled her mind back to the task at hand, and prepared her pistols.

Meanwhile Terence donned his kerchief, and was rewarded with an appreciative smile in return as the girl saw his dark eyes sparkling. Then he prepared his own pistol, and loosened his rapier in its sheath.

"Well, here's to our first business together!" Terence proffered his hand, and she grasped it. Each hand clasped strongly as their eyes met.

"May we bring each other good fortune." she returned.

Now they came to the tense and tedious time of waiting. Their horses were tethered out of sight, although scarcely a dozen paces away. The companions stood, or leaned against a tree, now and then pacing silently under the shadows. Time seemed to stretch and stretch. At long last a sound reached them, the rattle of the coach as it bumped its way along the road. They were stationed at a rise and watched their victim all the way.

Finally, when it was perhaps ten paces away and travelling quite slowly, the two stepped boldly out into the road. "Stand, and deliver!" Joanna's voice rang out commandingly. Next to the driver was a guard who immediately reached towards his waistband.

"Don't give us cause to shoot you man!" Terence held his tone low to convey his menace. The man, who was perhaps in his mid-thirties, did the sensible thing, and both highwaymen were greatly relieved that they need not execute their threat.

"Come down slowly, both of you!" Terence left Joanna to keep the two safely under the muzzles of her pistols, whilst he strode to the carriage. Someone was beginning to open the door, calling out to the driver, "What is the cause of this delay?"

The highwayman caught the door and swung it wide with his left hand, whilst his right levelled his pistol at the emerging gentleman who, suddenly aware of the weapon, froze with one foot on the coach step and one aground. Terence raised his voice and spoke clearly, so that all inside and out should hear his words. "Be certain Sir, I will not discharge my weapon unless I am forced to it. If you and your travelling companions would kindly step out of the coach, I will not detain you long, and you will all be unhurt, you have my word!"

Now Terence stepped away from the coach, and watched the man dismount. He peered past him into the gloomy interior, seeking any sign of a firearm, but none showed. A woman emerged also and stepped up beside her companion. Terence surmised she was the other's wife.

"Who else is there, come out now! It will go ill if I must come after you!" A young woman emerged, her arm supported by an older man who stepped awkwardly. The woman's eyes flashed scorn.

"Coward!" She hissed towards Terence, who inclined his head in the slightest of bows by way of acknowledgement.

The two men were quickly relieved of most of their valuables and money, but when the older woman began to pull at her rings, Terence stopped her. "Nay madam, I will not deprive you of your rings."

He instructed them all to move away from the coach, whilst he climbed up and investigated the baggage. He found some more money there, and then swung back down to the ground, grimacing and biting his lip as he felt the pull on his injured shoulder.

"Back inside, all of you!" He waved the pistol in encouragement and the travellers hastened into the safety of the coach. The young woman narrowed her eyes at him, and he chuckled, finding that he had a sudden urge to have her across his lap! Ah, he must curb his thoughts and desires whilst he was at business.

He joined Joanna. Together they watched hawk-eyed as the driver and guard returned to their seat, then Joanna waved them onwards. The two stood side by side and watched the coach dwindle into the night. Then Joanna turned towards Terence. "How did we fare, lo ..."

Terence smiled inwardly as the girl caught her words for a second time this evening. He spread the valuables before her. "It is not so much as I had hoped, but 'twil keep us for a week or two."

"Terence!" Her eyes pierced him. "Why did you not take something of the women's jewels, they were rich enough?"

"It is not how I do things Joanna, it would seem ... ungentlemanly." He knew it sounded foolish.

Joanna laughed scornfully. "You fool, you are merely playing at this profession of highwayman. Taking all the risks and knocks but little of the gain! Next time we will swap places.Ishall divest our captives of their goods whilst you guard."

Terence looked first annoyed, then chagrined. As his expression changed, Joanna's own heart went from anger to warm affection, She pulled down her kerchief and then his, and looked into his face. "You are like a little boy sometimes you know, my Terence. And it is somewhat lovely to behold." She reached her hands to his cheeks and drew him to her in a deep kiss. But as his hands went around her waist she pulled back suddenly, though panting desire. "Gods! We must away. If we tarry here we will be caught."

He answered gruffly, mastering his own already mounting passion, "Aye my girl." Terence unconsciously countered her seeing him as a boy with his use of that word 'girl', but on this occasion she seemed not at all annoyed at its use.

Returning to their mounts, Terence thrust their takings into his saddlebag, and they cantered away from the scene of their crime. They rode for two hours alternating canter and walk, then rested themselves and their horses for a little, then rode on another two hours. It was the early hours of the morning now. They had ridden mostly northwestward, by lanes and byways, and now, in a large wood, they found a safe and secluded resting place.

They were hot and tired, and lay down to sleep almost as soon as the horses were tethered, stopping merely to strip off their outer garments and spread a blanket on the ground. Collapsing onto it they lay side by side and fell into a deep and refreshing sleep.