Hinn Ch. 16-17

Story Info
Historian meets History.
6.8k words
4.74
6.5k
6

Part 7 of the 22 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/14/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note - Please read from Chapter 1 to make sense of this. This is not a quick stroke story. There will be sexy-times, but they will only happen as the story's pace dictates.

Edited 12 November 2019

All characters participating in sexual activities are 18 or older.

*****

Chapter 16

As Ray pulled a clean shirt over his head, his cell rang. The number was unlisted, unsurprisingly. "Mac, this is the lawyer, right?"

"Um. Wow. Yep, that's THE lawyer. Why's she calling you?"

"As the saying goes, money talks. *bleep* Hello, this is Ray Helms, how may I help you?"

"Mr.Helms, is this text correct?"

"Yes, ma'am. If you check your balance, you'll see the option sitting there from Raiff-"

She interrupted his explanation, "Mr. Helms, if that option wasn't there already I'd not be wasting time calling you. Your money is good. In small words, what's the problem?"

"Washington -- specifically, just outside Baltimore - is concerned about me, for reasons I won't go into other than face-to-face. They're working on getting warrants but have no valid ones yet -- but may try to finesse the lack of all the tees crossed."

"Interesting. How sure are you about all of that?"

"Jessica, Ray's got it right. And yeah, it's me -- twenty-two skiddoo buckaroo."

"Mac too? Now I'm even more interested. Very well, Mr. Helms, we're on our way. Expect a knock on the door in ... ten minutes? Yes, ten minutes from a colleague who'll wait with you long enough for us to get there. That should keep the knuckleheadedness to a reasonably dull roar."

"Thank you, ma'am -- I look forward to meeting you."

The phone clicked.

"So, Jessica, Mac?"

"She's damn good, Ray. And she's got a helluva open mind. You picked good."

"High praise. Thanks for the confirmation. Someday soon, I'd love to hear the tale."

"So would a whole lotta folks, Ray. Hey, you'll be walking in their front door soon -- they're gonna wanna talk, and they ain't gonna wanna talk anywhere except on their turf where they think they control everythin'."

"Think they control everythin', er, everything?"

"Mostly do, honestly, but not s'much as they believe. Not to mention what you two might pull off."

"We're going to try to play it quiet as far as they can see."

"Smart, but talk ta Jessica. Might need to end up doin' a deal. Havin' a track record could help that, but that's Jessica's strong suit."

"You mind if we mention the deal on the pringles can to her?"

"Would be better if ya don't, but if ya gotta, ya gotta."

"I don't intend to lie to the lady. I may not share everything, but if it comes up, I'll cover it."

"Fair beans."

Tauriz started a pot of water to boil on the stove before filling and loading the coffee maker. Guests need gifts, after all, and in this age, caffeinated beverages seemed to be the norm for business meetings.

Seven minutes later, not ten, there was a knock on the door. Ray looked through the peephole and blinked.

"Dean McKettrick? Good morning, sir -- how can I help you?"

"Jessica thought you might want a second set of eyes around and gave me a call. She came through here like a bat on fire, before you got your tenured position, and she's wonderful at her specialties. So, when an alumnus who silently funded three-quarters of the last two dorms we put up asks for a favor, I tend to hop aboard the train."

"Well, we might get anything from a polite investigator to SWAT stopping by shortly. I've reason to believe there's a warrant on the way that a certain federal judge couldn't have signed as he has no working phone, but bears a signature that happens to look mostly like his."

"Federal? Denning?"

"I do believe that's the judge's name, Dean."

"Oh, good. He's an officious prick, but honest. He won't cover their butts if they go too far."

"So we just need to hold the fort and weather the first wave before things get, um,.."

"I think the word you may be looking for is 'stodgy,' Professor."

"I bow to your expertise in this area, Dean."

Tauriz came in, "Would you prefer tea or coffee, Dean McKettrick?"

"Something decaffeinated, please, my dear -- the doctors don't like me living life much anymore."

"Very good, I will bring it out in a few moments." Tauriz met Ray's eyes meaningfully, and he wished for the Dean's good health for his remaining years, plus as many more as he desires as he continues to help those that need it.

Tauriz' smile was warm as she returned to the kitchen.

"And who is that, Professor?"

"That, Dean, is my girlfriend, Tauriz Aoud. Hopefully she'll soon consent to become my fiancée. She's adjunct to the physical education department starting this semester. We met at a training event fairly recently."

"Wonderful! Wonderful news! Congratulations, Professor!"

"Thank you, sir. I'm amazed by her every day."

"As it should be, Professor."

Time passed in convivial conversation. Tauriz's decaf tea and her insights were very welcome to the Dean, who wondered what other departments she might choose to join. "At this point, I am quite content with this new position, Dean. I thank you for the thought, however -- perhaps Ray and I shall reconsider that soon, perhaps not."

"Very well, Ms. Aoud. If I can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know."

"Thank you for your kind offer, Dean."

Perfectly timed, there was an officious knock at the door. "POLICE! Open up!"

The Dean sighed and levered himself to his feet. "Professor, do you mind if I were to answer your door?"

"If you wish to, Dean, I'd be honored."

"Thank you, Professor." The Dean walked over and opened the door. "Yes, Officer? How may I be of assistance?"

"Raymond Helms, you are under arrest for terroristic threats."

"Oh, my? And what are these threats that you're alleging were made, young man?"

"We'll go over that at the precinct, Helms."

"Oh, I think not, Officer Cruz, is it? Yes, Cruz, badge number 4406. Officer Cruz, I am not Raymond Helms, not have I ever claimed to be. I am Dean Wilbur McKettrick, head of the University's Law Department and an admitted member of the State Bar. Can I please see the warrant?"

"It's sealed, Dean. I don't have a copy of it here."

"You can't serve sealed warrants, Officer, as you should well know. I do believe State Trooper Supervisor Guyier, the then-State Attorney General, and I discussed that a few years ago in front of the State Supreme Court, in point of fact. The Court rather vociferously agreed with my position, not theirs. If that's all the standing you're here under, there's no legal warrant for arrests, and you frankly may be vulnerable to criminal and civil charges."

"Beyond my pay grade. Is Raymond Helms present? It'd be aiding and abetting if you lie, Dean."

"Oh, my dear, DEAR Officer! You will not be taking anyone from this home unless you can provide the legal documentation required under the laws of this municipality, state, and our fair nation. Do you have that documentation present, Officer?"

Officer Cruz sighed. "Are you trying to make this difficult, Dean?"

"I'm trying to keep this LEGAL, Officer. There is a world of difference."

"You're under arrest for resisting arrest, interfering with official police duties, and I'm sure we'll find plenty of other charges. Turn around and put your hands behind your back, Dean."

"You are about to make a critical error, Officer. I'd suggest that whoever is running this silly circus consider what happens when an undoctored copy of this conversation hits social media. Which it is about to in roughly sixty seconds."

A loud voice hollered from down the hall, "Stand down, Cruz!"

Footsteps approached, which was impressive how thick the hallway carpet was. "Officer Cruz, apologize to the Dean."

"Yessir. Dean, my apologies, apparently I was incorrect."

"Captain Mauser? Oh, my, they are QUITE obtuse, are they not?"

"I cannot comment on that, Dean McKettrick, as you should well know."

"Given how poorly your troopers seem to understand warrant handling procedures, Captain, you will understand my concern about the general level of knowledge directing this activity. Not at your level, of course, Captain, but whoever decided to pull your strings on this marionette show."

"I've always preferred Muppets, Dean."

"Droll, Captain. So. What is the way forward here?"

"Are you Mr.Helms' attorney of record, Dean?"

"Finally, an intelligent question! I am seconded to his attorney of record, who is currently en route. As such, I am in effect in loco parentis, if you'd allow a small dose of humor."

"Very well. Is Mr.Helms present, Dean?"

"Professor Raymond Helms is indeed present, Captain. Professor, may I introduce you to State Trooper Captain Jesse Mauser. Captain, Professor Raymond Helms."

"In other circumstances, it'd be an honor to meet you, Captain."

"I see. In those other circumstances, I'm sure I'd be pleased to meet you, Professor."

"So, the Dean's question remains relevant, Captain Mauser. What's the way ahead?"

"Frankly, Professor, I'm not certain. We have a sworn warrant for your arrest for terroristic threats that are deemed to be quite serious."

"Assume for a minute's conversation purpose that I'm unaware of the details -- what am I alleged to have said or done?"

"I've no idea, Professor."

"You might wish to consider that you may have been lied to, Captain. But, you have your orders, I'm sure. What are they?"

"Simply to arrest you and take you to the precinct for questioning."

"And who did they come from, Captain?"

"I'm sure the Dean here will be happy to speculate for you."

"Ah, so you're not willing to actually be helpful. I see, Captain. Do you have a legal warrant I can see?"

"In honesty, Professor, I do not."

"Understood. Dean, correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't the warrant have to be present for it to be legally enforceable?"

"Effectively so, in this case, Professor Helms."

"Then, there's no legal reason for me to consider myself under arrest, correct Dean McKettrick?"

"That would be my personal opinion, were I faced with similar circumstances, Professor Helms."

"Professor, may I ask you your plans for today?"

"I'll skip the sophomoric humor of saying you may, Captain, and simply state that I had intended to spend today in the company of my girlfriend. Does that answer your questions, Captian?"

"Were you planning on leaving your home, Professor?"

"We had not yet discussed what we desired to do today, Captain, so I admit I'm uncertain."

"I see. Might I ask you to have that conversation?"

"No."

"I'm asking politely."

"And I'm politely answering. No."

"I see."

Ray manfully bit his tongue and refused to comment further.

"Then I guess we have nothing else to talk about at this point. I wish you a pleasant day, one and all."

"Thank you, Captain."

The Dean closed the door and took his phone out of his breast pocket. "Did all that come through? Wonderful. Prep a package and coordinate with Jessica -- she's got release or destroy control."

"Yes, Dean" came from the speaker.

"Well. That's the first rush over, Professor. They're probably setting up fallback positions, and will likely try to barricade you in your own home, citing public safety, practice authorization, something along those lines. Jessica's already on top of that -- I'd not worry too much about it. I suspect she'll be here inside of two, at most three hours, unless they try to delay her directly. Which would precipitate the legal drollery sooner, point to Jessica. It will depend on who is pulling the strings on this. Would you know?"

"I have suspicions, Dean, but honestly? I'd suggest that you may wish to avoid any unnecessary information on this case. I'll be going into full detail with Jessica, to be sure, and if you wish we can check with her if she wishes you included in that, but there's going to be long term ramifications from this that likely will be painful for all involved."

"Let's call Jessica then. Jimmy -- add her in, would you please, then pause the recording unless we get interrupted?"

"Yes, Dean," came from the phone, followed by a phone ringing.

She picked up. "McKay -- thank you for your help."

"Thank you for all your help, Jessica. The first rush is over with lots of hooks to follow up on as you will. This has been rather fun, thus far, but we -- Professor Helms and his girlfriend Ms. Aoud are also on the call, as is Jimmy -- have a question. Professor Helms believes this will have long-term ramifications and suggested that I might not wish to become too involved."

"He apparently doesn't remember your court record, McKay."

"To be fair, he's in the History department specializing in an era before the Code of Hammurabi, not the Law department."

"Fair enough. If you want in, I owe you plenty enough as is -- what's one more?"

"Very well, Jessica. Hopefully, I'll have a summary for you when you arrive."

"55 minutes ETA."

"Until then." Jessica hung up, and the Dean spoke to his phone again, "Thank you, Jimmy. Professor, I take it you'd prefer to keep this as close hold as can be?"

"First -- McKay?"

"A simple nickname, Professor. McKettrick is spelt Em Cee Kay, leading to McKay. Jessica is rather fond of giving people nicknames."

"I see. Yes, we should keep this close-hold as much as practical. As long as Jimmy won't panic and do something, we'll leave the phone going -- we'll discuss over here, and it'll be fine. Yes, I know about the quality of microphones, gyroscopes, and other phone-based devices, Dean. I feel confident it'll be fine."

"OK, Jimmy -- I take it we'll have line of sight on my phone?

"Indirectly, yes, Dean."

"Very well. If need be, please trigger the flash, Jimmy."

"Yes, Dean."

Through Hinn, Ray wished that the three of them plus Mac would be able to talk while only providing silence to anyone or anything else capable of hearing them.

"Now then, Dean -- I'd like you to try to talk to Jimmy from here. Whistle, shout, coded phrases, whatever you'd normally use to check."

"Are you certain, Professor?"

"Very."

"Hrmm. You don't strike me as having shed a gear, Professor. Very well. Jimmy! Lux Aeterna!"

Nothing visible happened.

"Jimmy? Status, please?"

Silence.

"We have ... I guess you'd call it technology that isn't commonly understood. It allows for many things, including this kind of 'cone of silence' effect. We believe the NSA has somehow determined that we have something like this and maybe -- appear to be, at least -- grabbing for it."

"I see. I take it they have unexpected assets applied, not that I need to know what those are currently."

"We believe so. They also seem to have had multiple mysterious technological failures hindering their preparation and development of this activity aimed at us."

"Do you have anything to say about those failures, Professor?"

"There's no reasonable way to associate the failures with us."

"I see."

"I believe you just may, Dean."

"Is there any chance of this so-called cone of silence being detectable outside this room?"

"Yes, but we see no reason to believe it is the case currently."

Tauriz politely interrupted, "Correction -- someone just did, Ray. There's an unmarked white van parked at the curb. They are reacting to having lost track of our heartbeats and digestion."

Ray wished that the absence would be considered to be a system failure and that there would be random integrity and availability failures on the various devices in that van for six and a half months before suddenly stopping. He then wished that external sensors would believe they had them tracked, but Ray or Tauriz could provide redirection on the capability at will.

"McKay -- I need ta step in fer a sec."

"Mac? Oh me, oh my, the shit's really hitting the fan, isn't it?"

"About to. You just triggered a trap, Ray. They were watchin' to see what happened to the van. They feel they have evidence now."

"And they do. Darn."

"Ayep."

"Mac? Is Ray utilizing your technology?"

"No, McKay."

"Hrmm. Thank you."

"Was it the second or third question with Jarvettson?"

"Both, in combination, Mac."

Ray looked questioningly at the Dean.

"Mac and I have a relationship based on mutual trust. He'll answer almost any question I have, but then ask one in return for each answer. His question had to do with a prior case where his curiosity was raised, but never satisfied until today."

"I see. Very well. If need be, I might be able to add some grist to the mill for you, Dean - I'm sure he has some questions for me as well, and these questions would be in service to my case, so I'd consider it only fair."

"Don't think my questions for ya'll be on the same scale, Ray. Wouldn't be fair to ya, and I wanna be fair -- keeps return customers, don'tcha know."

"I can respect that. Ask a question, and if I can, I'll answer it. Tell me when you feel we've gotten even as other questions come in from us on this case."

"Ya'd trust me?"

"Why shouldn't I? Return customers, after all."

"Fair. Hrmm. OK, How'd you know I was listening?"

"Active electronic recording has a signature detectable by myself or Tauriz, and the possibility of others that may be like one of us out there. I don't think we have an adequate shared vocabulary to discuss details of the signature, though, it's derived from the rare technology Tauriz and I share. We found the signature and traced it back. To be completely forthright, I only have tested electronic recording. We haven't tested mechanical recording or whatever else we can find yet."

"That's worth a lot, Ray. Yer good for a goodly time on that one. Longer if we work together to figger out what else ya can pick up. Figger I've got a half-dozen, mebbe ten options we can test offhand."

"Let's get through this, and we'll discuss. I'm not saying no, Mac -- we have bigger fish to fry."

"Fair nuff."

There was a knock at the door. Ray said, "OK, turning off the cone of silence effect -- then I'll get the door."

Chapter 17

Countering his wish for silence, Ray looked through the peephole. He saw a small crowd of people in suits, with a short African-American lady in the lead. Opening the door, he asked, "Good morning, how can I help you?"

"Polite, nice to see. Good morning, I'm Jessica, this is my team. Might we come in?"

Ray opened the door and waved them in. Jessica led, followed by a pair of Hispanic women, a white man, an Asian woman, and an older African-American man. All save the last were young, probably less than thirty years old, while the man seemed to be close to Ray's age. Closing the door after them, Ray took a moment to lock it. On a quick discussion with Tauriz in Hinn, they decided not to wish for it to become invulnerable, but Ray did wish for a persistent unobtrusive situational awareness of threats within a mile radius of both his and Tauriz' locations.

As soon as the wish became active, he felt it 'hanging' with the other two that were waiting to activate. Immediately they spotted a tractor-trailer with a squad of heavily armed policemen pulling into a parking lot adjacent to the condo's property, out of line-of-sight from Ray's windows.

"So, Jessica, I'm Ray. We believe we may be having a second wave of physical confrontation shortly -- I'll go into why in a second -- and this one may not be as polite as the first. Quite possibly a squad of SWAT types. Question -- are any of you maintaining any deadman's switches or the like? I don't need to know what for at this point, just if you are or are not."

"We should be good."

The Dean spoke up, "My professional opinion, Jessica -- if you are, let him know. More here than I want to discuss quite yet."

12