His Name Was Jack

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know what, never mind. I was going to ask why you're suddenly so hostile towards me but I don't think I care anymore."

We stared at each other in silence for several seconds before she finally broke the silence.

"Did you have a good time last weekend?"

"Yes, I did, but you already knew that. I told you so after the reception."

"I don't mean the wedding. I meant what happened after you got home."

Confused I thought back to Saturday night. I don't remember doing anything different than usual, and then I remembered Linda's visit and how Julie had watched her go up my walkway.

"Are you talking about Linda?"

"Is that the slut's name? How much did she cost you?"

Obviously she had leapt to some assumptions here, and I was not of a mind to clarify things for her. Besides, who the hell was she to be butting into my personal life and judging me?

"Yes, that's her name, and she cost me plenty, but I fail to see how any of that is your business or reason for you to start treating me like shit."

She faltered a little before rallying.

"I guess I just thought you were better than that. I didn't think you were the kind of guy that would use a woman for your own needs. But now I know better."

"You don't know shit, Julie, but since you saw fit to just decide what the truth was without talking to me I guess there's nothing left to say. Your kids are waiting."

With that I stalked into my workshop. Holy shit, I was pissed. I try really hard to be a nice guy and an upstanding person, and she sees one thing, takes it out of context, and assumes I'm paying a pro to get laid. Not that her opinion really mattered, I tried to convince myself, but I didn't like people having the wrong idea about me. Yeah, that's it.

I watched out the window as Jack loaded the kids in the car and Julie pulled away, though she did take a lingering look back toward my place before driving away. Maybe my objections had had an effect.

Not five minutes later there was a knock on my door that I assumed was Jack, but a check of the peephole saw Julie's face on the other side. My face scrunched in confusion as I opened the door.

"So if I'm wrong, explain it to me," she said without so much as a greeting.

"Jules, where are the kids?"

"They're in the car right there, and I have the A/C on so I can keep an eye on them if we talk right here. So tell me what I got wrong."

"You got it all wrong, Julie. Linda is my ex-wife. She dumped me 3 years ago to marry a guy twice her age that can barely get it up for her anymore, so she's been trying to recruit me as her fuck buddy. What you saw last weekend was her latest attempt. If you'd stayed another 5 minutes you'd have seen my kick her out and obviously without having gotten what she came for."

"Oh shit, Henry, I'm sorry. You're right, I made an assumption and I was wrong."

"And that's why you started ignoring me?"

"It is. I just...like I said, I just didn't think you were that kind of person and it upset me."

"Okay, so now you know the truth. Are we good? Friends?"

"Yes, definitely. I'm sorry again."

She gave me a hug; one that lasted a little longer than a casual and friendly one should, and then got into her car and drove away.

I had to be honest about my feelings here. I really liked Julie, and were it not for her habit of committing adultery I would probably almost call it love. And that kind of ticked me off, because I had promised myself I wouldn't develop feelings for her when I agreed to start escorting her to these things. I was going to keep my distance and use her as a means of starting a social life. The problem was that I enjoyed being with her and really hadn't done anything to make a social life other than what I did with her, nor did I want to.

And what to make of her reaction to Linda. Did I really believe that it was all because she didn't think I was the kind of guy that would hire a hooker? Not really, and that led to the likelihood that maybe she was jealous of Linda, and that led to the almost inescapable conclusion that she had some feelings for me as well.

But nothing could ever happen, or so I told myself. In addition to her being a cheater there was the fact that she was Jack's ex, and I really worried about how that would affect Jack, both in terms of our friendship and him individually.

<><><><><>

The next weekend, of course, wasn't one of Jack's kid weekends so he came on Saturday to grill some burgers and watch the game. Jack was a nice guy and I enjoyed hanging out with him, though I felt bad for spending time with his ex behind his back. Or so I thought.

"You and Julie seem to be spending a lot of time together."

I had been so sure that he didn't know that his statement shocked me, and I didn't have a ready response.

"Don't look so surprised, Henry. I'm not as unobservant as you might think. Is anything going to happen between you two?"

"Look Jack, I'm sorry about this. She asked me to escort her to a few things because she said she didn't know any other men she was comfortable with, and I didn't tell you because I was afraid it would upset you."

"I figured that, but you didn't answer my question: Is anything going to happen between you two?"

"No, absolutely not."

"Why not? Aren't you attracted to her?"

"Sure I am Jack. She's one of the most beautiful women I've ever met, but nothing will happen for two reasons: one, she's your ex-wife and I really don't want to hurt you, and I'm afraid that seeing us together would upset you. And two, knowing she cheated on you and told you she wouldn't give it up, well, I've already been down that road and I don't want to go there again."

He just nodded his head and said 'I see', and that was the end of the conversation. I was tempted to ask how he would feel about me continuing to see Julie as I had been, meaning as an escort for certain events, but I chose not to.

The following Tuesday I was in my workshop starting the planning for a new custom cutting board that was next on my list, having finished and shipped out the rocking chair last week, when Jack came by after work. He had a very serious look on his face and I invited him over for a beer.

"Thanks, I think I'm going to need one."

The wording struck me as odd: 'going to need' instead of 'already needing' one, but maybe he just misspoke. We sat out on my deck in the backyard in silence for about 15 minutes, and several times I got the feeling he was working up the nerve to say something. Finally it just came out.

"She didn't cheat on me. I cheated on her, and more than once. She would never do that. In fact, her loyalty to me got her to forgive me several times but just couldn't bring herself to do it the last time. She caught me with one of the parts department ladies."

I let that information take root in my mind for a few minutes before I was prepared to say anything, and Jack patiently waited for me to respond.

"Why'd you lie to me, Jack?"

"I don't have many friends. All our 'couple friends' dumped me after the divorce, and the friends I had at work started avoiding me. Their wives felt I was a bad influence and pressured them to stay away from me. I figured if you thought we had a wife that cheated in common we could sort of bond over that shared experience. I figured you'd probably never meet her so it wouldn't matter. And then I had to sell my car and she had to come over here."

"Is that why you told her not to talk to me?" I asked, suddenly remembering that moment in time.

"I didn't know you knew about that. Yeah, I was afraid she'd tell you that I had been the cheater and it would all blow up in my face."

We sat in silence for another few minutes as we both considered the implications of this conversation. Finally I asked a question.

"So why are you telling me this now?"

He glanced over at me and then looked back into the sky again as we had been doing all evening.

"She's been asking me about you. She told me that you guys had spent a lot of time together, though I already knew that, and asked if you had said anything about her. She says you guys always have a great time together and she doesn't understand why nothing more had happened. When you told me the other night that it was mostly because she had cheated on me I knew I had to come clean. It just took me a few days to realize that and work up the nerve."

"I also told you that wasn't the only reason."

"Yeah, my feelings, I remember. And make no mistake, Henry, it will hurt to see her with another man, be it you or someone else. I still love her with everything I've got and I really want her to be happy, and that can't be with me anymore. So Henry, please, if you have feelings for her and want to be with her, you have my blessing and my encouragement. I've let her down so many times and I refuse to fail her again by keeping her from being with someone she wants."

With that he climbed out of his chair, thanked me for the beer, and headed back to his side of the duplex.

I was blown away. I admit that I had trouble believing Julie was a serial cheater, but I suppose there's really no way to know for sure just by hanging out with someone. I suddenly had to rethink everything I had thought, and the way forward was clear.

That Friday Julie came to drop off the kids as usual. I made a point of being in the workshop and I again hold up the dry erase board asking her to come talk to me. She glanced back at Jack and waited for him to go inside with the kids before coming to talk to me.

"That's not the rocking chair. What're you working on now?"

"I shipped out the chair last week. This is a cutting board for a new house someone is building."

"That's nice. I like the design."

"Thanks. So any big plans for the weekend?"

"No. I'll probably just clean the house since Jack has the kids. You?"

"I was thinking of making the two hour drive out to the coast and getting a hotel room on the beach; maybe spending the weekend on the beach relaxing in the sun to celebrate finishing the chair. The weather is supposed to be nice."

There was some disappointment in her voice when she spoke: "That sounds like fun. Bringing anyone along or just you?"

"Actually there is someone very special I'm planning on bringing, if she's up for it."

"Oh. Well, she's very lucky."

I used my hand and lifted up her chin, which had drooped when I mentioned bringing someone along.

"So how about it? Do you want to go?"

A wide smile appeared on her face at first, and then her expression changed into that look you get when you find the perfect used car but you don't want the salesperson to KNOW you found the perfect used car.

"That sounds like it could be fun. Would I be getting my own room?"

"Well, you can if you want to, but that's not really what I had in mind."

"I think it would be okay to share a room." The smile was back. "What about beds?"

"I'm going to insist on having one. I won't sleep on the floor."

She gave me a 'you smart ass' look and finally just decided to say what she meant.

"What I mean, Henry, is are you gonna fuck me this weekend or not?"

"It was part of my plan, but again if you'd rather not..."

She leapt at me and planted an intense kiss on my lips. Just like that our arms were wrapped around each other and we were kissing each other like it was the last time we'd ever do it. Her tongue attacked mine and mine responded in kind, and we went at it for several minutes before sanity finally reigned.

"When, um, when are we leaving?"

"That depends on how fast you can get back here after packing."

"Give me an hour."

Julie ran to her car and damn near left a vapor trail pulling away from the curb. True to her work she was back with a small suitcase in an hour and 5 minutes. I had already loaded my suitcase in the truck and soon we were on the road.

The drive was mostly in silence. We talked here and there but mostly we were just enjoying being in each other's company and also in knowing that we were embarking on something more; something that could be forever. I was completely happy and comfortable being with Julie and she seemed to feel the same way. There was one thing, though, that needed to be discussed before we got to the hotel.

"Jules?"

"Yes baby."

"We should talk about birth control."

"No worries there. I've been on the pill since...Well, let's just say I'm on the pill."

"What were you going to say?"

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Are we going to start our relationship keeping secrets? I've already had one wife that did that. I'm not looking for another."

"No, it's...it's just...it's a little embarrassing."

"If we're going to be together the we'll have to get used to saying embarrassing things. Now come on."

"All right. I was going to say that I've been on the pill since we went out that first time."

"Why?"

She was silent for several seconds, and I could practically feel her staring at me with the 'you are so stupid look', but she took pity on the poor idiot male and told me.

"Because I was hoping what's about to happen would happen, that we would eventually get to this point."

We got to the hotel and checked in. I had actually made reservations just after deciding what to do about Julie and hoped she'd agree to come with me.

From what she had told me in the car, I suspected she had been looking forward to this for some time, and the truth was that I was just as eager. No sooner has we gotten into the room than she was on me.

Trying to undress while kissing is not an easy task, especially when you'd much rather have your hands on your partner and not on your buttons. Finally we gave up the kissing and quickly shed our clothes and rejoined on the bed.

As I said before, Julie didn't have much in the way of breasts. She had long raven hair and naturally dark skin (I would later find out she was a mix of Mexican, Thai, and Cuban) and her deep purple areolas were a remarkable topper. But she did have the nicest ass I had ever seen and I spent a considerable amount of time worshiping it that night.

Our first fuck was quick and dirty. Neither of us had been with anyone in some time, so I simply tossed her on the bed and easily entered her soaking wet pussy. Instead of several quick thrusts I did fewer, longer ones, and Julie came in no time at all, which was good because I didn't last any longer.

With a couple of quick ones out of the way we hopped into the shower to clean off the layers of grime that build up over the course of a day before we returned to the bed and spent the next several hours alternating between making love and sleeping, with an occasional hose down in the shower to freshen things up a bit. We finally crashed for the night at about 3:00AM.

We slept through breakfast but grabbed some lunch at a nearby diner before heading out to the beach. It was actually pretty busy and we lounged under a large beach umbrella (available for rental) and simply enjoyed the sights. Eventually she asked the question that I kind if hoped she wouldn't.

"So, why the change of heart, Henry?"

"What do you mean, babe?"

"I've been attracted to you since we first met. You never made a move and I figured you were being loyal to Jack since he was your friend, but I still planned to try, so I asked you to take me to the company party, and you did. But nothing happened. Over the next several months I got you, one way or the other, to take me out several times and I tried my best to let you know I was interested without simply stripping my clothes off and asking you to fuck me, and still I got nothing. Then all of a sudden you ask me to go away for the weekend and spend the night fucking the shit out of me, and I guess I'm wondering why the sudden change. And remember, no secrets."

"All right, Jules. But I want you to listen with an open mind, okay?"

She agreed, and I proceeded to tell her everything that happened, starting from Jack moving in and telling me that she had cheated on him, and ending with him telling me the truth and why he had lied to me in the first place. I could tell she was pretty angry with him but I wanted her to focus on what Jack had done right.

"Look, baby, I know you're mad at him for lying, but he was in a bad spot and didn't think it would matter. But when it mattered he came clean even knowing it could cost him my friendship because he still loves you and wants you to be happy, and didn't want to fail you again."

"I know, I know, it's just...we could have been together sooner and I'm frustrated by that, but I'll get over it

<><><><><>

Epilogue

Of course Julie and I ended up getting married, but moving in and then introducing Julie in my life wasn't the end of the changes that Jack brought.

I had gotten to know Jack and Julie's kids pretty well during Jack's visitation weekends, and it didn't seem to faze them at all when I started spending time with their mom, too. It wasn't long before I was Daddy Henry and I found I really liked that.

About 8 months after that weekend at the beach, Julie and I were making plans to move in together, with an eye towards getting married soon as well. The duplex was too small and even if it wasn't it would have been hard for Jack (yes, he still lived there and we remained friends), but it also seemed off for me to move into Jack's old house.

So we decided to sell Julie's house and buy one that was new to both of us, and I would rent out both sides of the duplex. With that goal ahead I started packing up my stuff, and one afternoon Jack came knocking on the door. I welcomed him warmly and offered him a beer, which he accepted.

"What brings you by, buddy?"

"I wanted to talk to you, Henry."

"All right. Shoot."

"Henry, I want you to promise me that you'll take care of my kids."

"Of course, Jack. When they're with Julie and me you know I'll treat them like they're my own."

"That's not what I mean. I mean...well...just promise me you'll take care of them forever."

There was something in his tone that I didn't like, and I put the packing on hold and turned to him, giving him my full focus and attention.

"What's going on, Jack? You're not thinking of doing something foolish, are you?"

I wish he had made a big production of denying what I was suggesting, but he just gave a wry smile and shook his head.

"No, man, it's nothing like that. I'm moving up to Seattle. A buddy of mine just became the GM at a dealership up there and wants me to come help out. It'll be a good job and I won't be dependent on commissions anymore."

"Well, we can work out a visitation schedule then. Holidays, summers, that kind of thing. No problem."

"No Henry. I'm leaving and that's it. I want you to adopt the kids, or at least be the only daddy in their lives. Their young enough that any memories they have of me will fade eventually and soon you'll just be their daddy. I don't want to put them through the broken home thing anymore. I think you and Julie will be together a long time and I want you to be a family."

"Jack, come on..."

"My minds made up. If you want me to send child support I will. I mean, I don't want you to think I'm trying to get out of it. But I'd rather it just be the end when I move. I'll just return any cards or letters that I get. Please Henry, do me this one last favor. Take care of my family like I never could."

There were tears in Jack's eyes and I could feel them welling up inside mine, too. This had to be the hardest thing he had ever done, even more than telling me he had lied so that Julie and I could be together, and part of me admired his commitment to the happiness of those he loved, even though it came too late since he had been the one to cause the problems in the first place.

"All right, Jack."

I told Julie about it that night and she was saddened by it but agreed with Jack that it was probably the best thing for the kids. We all found a family law attorney and did all the paperwork to make it legal, and a few months later Jack was gone to Seattle and out of our lives completely. My adoption of the kids was completed shortly thereafter, and just as Jack expected the 'Henry' was soon dropped from Daddy Henry.