Home Is The Sailor

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

So completely wrapped up in her thoughts was she that Ann failed to notice a figure standing in the shelter of a doorway. A woman stepped out into her path.

"On the game, are you?"

Ann looked up, startled. "What?"

"Lubbock's got you working the streets. Not cut out for it, are you?"

"Who...who are you?"

"I got a message for you - from Joe."

At the sound of the name Ann gasped and looked round in fear, as if her husband might be standing close enough to hear.

"Is he all right?" she asked.

"Could be better, but he's bearing up. He's just got back from sea and he's staying at my place."

Ann looked uncertain. "Your place?"

"Yeh, you're right. You won't find any respectable ladies there, but plenty of men."

"Oh....I see."

"Do you, love?" asked the woman, quietly.

"Has....has Joe stayed with you before?"

"Off and on over the years. Got on real well together, but I've not seen so much of him since he met this married woman and fell in love with her. Now her husband's come back and Joe's in a mess. You wouldn't know her, by any chance?"

"I'm her," admitted Ann, quietly.

"Thought you might be."

"Has he been staying with you since...since...."

"The night he ran off and left you to it? Never stops kicking himself for that; been drinking too much, as well. No, I told you....he's just back from sea."

"But, it isn't the whaling season."

"Yeh, I know. He's been on a merchantman, making money. Reckons he needs all the money he can get so he can buy passages for you all across to America."

"America?" A gleam of hope sparked in Ann's heart, but it was quickly snuffed out. "It's impossible. How can we get away?"

"Your husband likes a drop or two of good old English ale, don't he?"

"Yes."

"Goes out ev'ry night and pays a visit to the Jug."

"That's right."

"We've been watching him, you see," explained the woman.

"We?" queried Ann.

"Some of the girls and the lads from his ship. They're going to be in the Jug tonight when your husband comes. He'll find himself very popular. Get a round bought for him, you see.....mebbe two. Then along comes little me. I takes him to my place and when he comes to in the morning he'll find no fam'ly at home."

Ann gripped the woman's arm. "You'll do this for me?"

"No, love....for Joe. He's a good sort, and we're not going to let that bastard husband of yours get away with it. Are you game?"

"Of course. Thank you. Thanks to all of you."

"First light tomorrer, then. I'll come for you."

"We'll be ready."

Ann could hardly contain her excitement as she returned home, but she knew she must do nothing to alert Mannie. She collected the baby from a neighbour and went into the house to find Jim hunched into a corner, crying softly. His lip was cut and bleeding.

"What's up?" she asked her husband who was in his usual seat in front of the fire.

"He gave me cheek and wouldn't do as he was bid, so I taught him a lesson," growled Mannie.

"You want to be careful of them fists of yours," said Ann, carefully placing the baby on the bed. "They got you into trouble once before an' they'll do it again."

"You hold your tongue, woman!" He rose from his chair with an unexpected speed, grabbed her wrist, and twisted her arm.

"You're hurting me, Mannie!" screamed Ann.

"I'll hurt you a damn sight more if you don't keep quiet." He gripped her hair and pulled back her head so she was looking into his face. "Have you got summat for me?"

Ann thrust several coins at him. He looked at them in the palm of his hand.

"Not bad. I never thought you'd make such a good whore. If I'd known before I'd have had you on the streets soon as we was married." He grabbed her breast making her cry out in pain. "Hope you're not getting to like it too much."

Ann shook her head. "Not much fear of that, Mannie."

"Don't think I've forgot the way you behaved while I was away. I could bloody kill you for that - and him."

"You don't care enough," gasped Ann, fighting the pain in her breast.

"I got me pride," said Lubbock. He released his grip and pushed her away.

Jim was still whimpering in the corner and Ann went to comfort him. The cut was worse than she thought and she quickly got a bowl of water and a cloth to bathe the wound.

She could hardly contain her impatience during the hour before her husband's departure and it seemed as if time had stood still. She even began to wonder whether he was going to break his habit and stay in, but eventually he went to the door.

Without a word he left the house and Ann breathed a sigh of relief.

*****

The Jug was crowded. Several of Joe's shipmates had been patiently waiting for two hours, but there was no sign of their quarry. They were beginning to grow anxious.

"Mebbe we should go round to his house and make sure the missus is all right," said a man with two fingers missing.

"We can't do that," said Mary. "If he's there we'll alarm him."

"What do we do?" asked another, short but wiry. "We can't stay here all night."

"Mebbe we should split up and start searching the other ale houses."

"That won't do no good. None of us don't know what the bastard looks like," snarled a third. He had the appearance of a pirate with gold earrings.

"Big and ugly with a scar on his face," said Mary. "Joe pointed him out to me."

"Look around you. Half the blokes in here fit that description."

"Are you sure he isn't one of 'em?"

"Positive."

"God, what are we going to tell Joe? he'll go spare."

Ann had packed a few belongings for herself and the children and was anxiously waiting for the first few streaks of light in the sky. Jim and the baby were asleep, but she dare not close her eyes. The fire was low and she was sitting with a blanket wrapped round her, fighting the desire to sleep and trying to keep her head calm and clear.

America. It was a long way off, but that was all to the good. Mannie would never be able to find them there. She and the children would be safe.

Despite her valiant efforts she must have dozed off because she woke with a start as the door crashed open.

She gasped.

Standing there, swaying from side to side, was the huge figure of her husband. He slammed the door shut, waking the baby who began to cry.

"What....what are you doing here?" asked Ann, without thinking.

"It's me home, ain't it?" Mannie replied, thickly. "And you're me dear little wife. Why shouldn't I be here? Where you expect me to be?"

"Didn't you go to the Jug?"

"Not tonight. Had business to do in the Britannia."

Ann felt faint. "What sort of business?" she managed to ask.

"Nowt to do with you," came the brusque reply. "Why ain't you in bed?"

"I.....I couldn't sleep."

"Looks like you're dressed to go out," said Mannie, suspiciously.

"No....no, not really. I was feeling cold and this is a warmer dress, that's all."

She had to get his mind off the subject. Setting aside her fear and loathing she walked slowly towards him, unbuttoning her dress.

"Now you're here," she said, softly, "I won't need no clothes to keep me warm will I?"

Mannie narrowed his eyes in lustful appraisal of his wife's figure. He pulled her close and she offered her lips for a kiss. The foul smell of ale on his breath was overwhelming, but she tried to ignore it. She could feel his cock against her thigh and it wasn't rigid enough to enter her. Dropping to her knees she unbuttoned his trousers and pulled them down. She began to caress and suck at the instrument of her 'pleasure'. It was more torture than pleasure.

It didn't take long for his cock to be hard. She lay back, taking her weight onto her shoulders as she pulled her drawers down over her bottom. He stood over her and watched, his hand stroking his tool, as she freed her legs from restricting clothes. She spread herself wide revealing her vulva and then fingered herself, parting the lips, all the better for him to see.

With an animal grunt he fell upon her, the rigid cock having little difficulty in locating the waiting hole. It slid in and Lubbock pressed as hard as he could against her mound, grinding her with uncontrollable lust. It was difficult for her not to react to a large cock inside her and the circular movements being made. Her juices were flowing. God forgive her and she hated herself for it, but she was responding.

She tried to close her mind to his actions and think what she could do to get herself and the children away. Mannie was drunk, but not too drunk to be unaware of their departure. She might be able to make it with Jim, for he was old enough to appreciate the danger, but the baby........

Suddenly she gasped as her body gave in completely and she climaxed. At the same time Lubbock groaned as his cock finally shed its load. He went limp. It was over. He lay on top of her for a few moments then rolled off, but stayed where he was, exhausted by both drink and sex. Ann slowly rose, trying not to disturb him, pulled on her drawers and fastened her dress. The baby was still crying.

"Shut the brat's face or I'll do it meself," snarled Lubbock.

Ann picked up the baby and began to rock it gently in her arms, at the same time singing softly. So engrossed was she that she failed to notice Jim stealthily climb out of bed and go towards the table. His father was still stretched out on the floor, eyes closed and the beginnings of a snore coming from his open mouth.

The boy silently picked up a large kitchen knife from the table and stood over the sleeping man. He slowly raised the knife........

"No, Jim!"

Ann had turned round just in time. Her scream made the boy freeze and woke the man.

"What.....? What the bloody hell's going on?"

Lubbock scrambled to his feet and grabbed Jim's wrist. The boy dropped the knife and squealed in pain.

"Trying to do for me, was you?"

Lubbock forced his son backwards over the table, one powerful hand now gripping the small throat.

"No, Mannie!" cried Ann. "Leave him be! He's your own lad...only nine years old."

"How do I know whose lad he be?" roared Lubbock, squeezing ever harder. "You've had one bastard while I was away....why not this one?"

Jim was gurgling, his face going purple. Ann almost threw the baby down on the bed and pulled frantically at her husband's arm.

"Stop, Mannie! You'll swing for it, sure as God."

The door suddenly burst open.

"Let the lad be!"

Lubbock released his grip on the boy and turned to see Joe standing in the doorway.

"Keep out of this."

"Not this time. I turned me back once before, but there's no running again. I'm taking Ann and the lads to America; starting a new life. It's all arranged and I'm not going to let you stop us."

Lubbock grinned.

"You and who else?" he sneered.

"Me and my friends," replied Joe.

He stepped aside to reveal several tough looking whale-men waiting outside in the court.

"Go on, lass," said Joe. "You've no need to fear. Take the baby and walk right out into the street. Nowt's going to happen. I'll see to Jim."

Ann cast a frightened look at her husband, then quickly did as she was told, two of the men going with her.

Joe went across to the table where the boy was still laid, coughing and spluttering, trying to catch his breath.

"Come on, lad. Let's be having you."

As he bent over Jim, Lubbock lunged forward, pushing aside two whale-men, and lashed out with his huge fist, hitting the smaller man so hard he reeled away across the room. In a blind, unreasoning fury, Lubbock pursued his enemy, delivering several heavy blows and splitting his nose wide open. Joe's flailing arms caught a lamp and sent it flying onto the bed, drenching the covers in oil. Flames raced up the curtains and eagerly seized upon the rough wooden beams which fed their voracious appetite.

The pirate sprang into action, seizing Lubbock, pulling him back, while two others dashed in and plucked up Joe.

"Let's get out of here!"

"The whole place is going up!"

"It's a bloody tinderbox!"

Coughing and spluttering, they fought their way through smoke and flame, dragging Joe out into the cold night air of the court, already glowing red from the inferno. Doors and windows were being opened on all sides and people were rushing from their houses.

"Bastard!" yelled Lubbock, as he struggled with the pirate.

Suddenly the floorboards beneath his feet gave way and he collapsed onto the blazing bed, his hand clutching at the pirate for support. A wall of flame engulfed them both.

The fire quickly spread throughout the length of the room. Thick black smoke curled its way from corner to corner, from ceiling to floor. In less than two minutes the whole house was ablaze, the flames reaching up through the roof into the dark night sky.

When daylight dawned there was nothing left of the Lubbock house except a smouldering ruin. The houses on each side were both badly damaged and blackened with smoke. Little was to be found of Emmanuel Lubbock or the pirate except a few charred remains and two gold earrings.

A thin mist clung to the muddy waters of the river as a ship sailed down towards the sea at the start of a routine voyage across the Atlantic to America. In the bow stood a little family, holding each other tightly and steadfastly gazing ahead to a new and better life.

12