Homecoming? Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Galen's intention was to implement a pilot program, wherein the company would assume the entire responsibility for operating and maintaining the equipment at the customer's site. In doing so, the company could provide on-site technical expertise, implement a reasonable level of system redundancy, and enforce best operational practices, including sufficient offline and offsite system backups to assure continuance of operations.

The advantages to the client were obvious. Rather than having to continue supporting their own staff and facilities (who weren't doing the job well, anyway), the client would simply pay a flat annual fee for the service. In return, they got a guarantee of system security and availability, for the duration of the contract.

Such a program would, of course, increase the company's liabilities, but the increase in profits would more than make up for it. By integrating itself more tightly into their clients' business operations, the company would become indispensable, as well; assuring continued future revenue from those clients. Furthermore, if the program were a success, it would allow a reduction of resources dedicated to the current technical support program, and thus a reduction in costs associated with that program.

Bruce didn't really like the idea, because it would erode the importance of his position in the company food chain; none the less, he knew that if he balked, he would be left out in the cold, when the decision was made. He would, in fact introduce the idea, but Galen would have to watch him like a hawk, to insure that he didn't try to sabotage it.

Having finished his business with Bruce, Galen filled out and turned in his travel report and expense claim, then signed out for the day. He proceeded to the parking garage, to reclaim his assigned vehicle, and found his space occupied by an interloper, another junk heap. Returning to the office, he ran Bruce down again and demanded an explanation.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," he answered, grinning. "Motor Pool decided that repairing the heap you were driving wouldn't be cost-effective. They scrapped it."

"So is the piece of crap in my space a replacement?" Galen growled.

"No, your replacement won't be here until Wednesday. That car belongs to the new secretary. Since you weren't going to need the parking space, I let her have it."

"She knows it's a temporary arrangement, doesn't she?"

"Well... I didn't actually make a point of that..."

"Bruce, you're a slime bag. You know that, don't you?"

"Well, if you piss me off, it could be permanent..."

"Don't make yourself look like a worse idiot than you are. You know that company cars get parking spaces before private vehicles."

"I don't suppose you have to have a company car, then."

"Yeah, and I don't suppose I have to go out on any more service calls, either, asshole! Now do want to continue this conversation over in HR, or do you just want to call it done?"

"Okay, Galen, you win this one, but I'm going to be watching your ass..."

"Bruce, when haven't you been watching my ass? I'm beginning to worry about your sexual preferences! Never mind. I'm going to catch a cab and spend what's left of my weekend at home. Good bye!"

<...>

When Galen arrived, Angel and Justine were in a pretty good mood, having defused the ticking time-bomb of, first, their neighbor's righteous indignation, then her jealousy and despair. Helen, herself, had long previously concluded her visit with the ladies, and returned to her apartment to care for her son.

As he entered the apartment, his stomach noisily reminded him that breakfast had been long ago and far away, and that he'd also missed lunch. Angel laughed, and grabbing his hand, drew him into the kitchen, where she proceeded to prepare him a large sandwich of roast beef on foccacia with the works, and a large glass of iced tea. As he ate, he remembered his responsibilities to the women.

"Have you and Justine eaten?" he queried.

"Yes Master, we both had a nice meal at lunch time. We waited for you, for awhile, but when you went over half an hour late, we agreed that your orders meant that we should go ahead and eat," she replied, nervously.

"You did well," he grinned. "That's exactly what I wanted." Taking her hand, he drew her in for a quick kiss. Noticing Justine hanging out by the door, he motioned her over, and kissed her too.

"Now, what do you think about us finding a new car?" he ventured. "I'm thinking about something large enough to hold all of us, and safe enough to transport my most precious possessions..."

12