Hostage to Fortune

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,625 Followers

'He pays me well Tom.'

'No one could pay you enough to command your level of commitment. I know it and you know it. If his wife had shown your level of commitment he wouldn't be in that state.' He paused and thought for a while. 'Does he know how you feel about him?'

'I don't know what you mean, Tom.'

'You're in love with him. I can see that now. It doesn't matter what he does, you'll defend him. It won't matter how disabled he is by this injury, you'll stick by him. It's why you called me, isn't it? You know he won't thank you for it, but you think he might need help and you know I won't refuse.'

'Is that such a bad thing?'

'No lass, it's bloody marvellous. I'd just like to see you getting something back.'

'I can't say I wouldn't like that Tom, but it's not essential. I would love him anyway.'

'Well, you've got me pegged. I won't refuse him anything. It's me that made him the way he is. I wish it wasn't true but it is. Now I'll do whatever it takes to get a little more time to try and put things right. I'll do whatever you want. They tell me it helps to give him something familiar while he is in this state. So why don't you download some of his favourite music? I've brought some stuff to read to him. Between us, we'll pull him through this.'

Sam woke up to the sound of someone hammering on the door.

'Sam, Sam. You can't lock yourself in there for the whole trip. Come on, I've got breakfast ready. Come out and talk to me.'

'Okay, I'll be out in a minute.' She'd realised overnight that she had no option but to get along with Ryan, at least until they got to Gibraltar. 'You're an actress.' She told herself. 'You can do this, It's just another role.'

As she started to get dressed she realised that she didn't believe a word of it. She wore tee shirt jeans and remembered to wear her life jacket. She walked quietly out on deck and sat at the table. She'd become accustomed to eating on board so the constant movement of the table was not a problem. Not having eaten since breakfast the previous day she was really hungry. As she tucked into her breakfast, Ryan gave her a cup of coffee.

'You do know I did it for you. Well for us. We couldn't go on like that. You having to sleep with him, and pretending to like it.'

'We could have waited, Ryan. You didn't have to kill him. He didn't deserve that. I could have divorced him.'

'No, no, that wouldn't work. You're a beautiful woman who is used to the high life. I couldn't give you that.'

'But I don't need all that I managed without it before, I can do it again.'

'You shouldn't have to do without, and now you don't. Don't you see, now we can be together and not have to worry? We can have it all.'

'You don't know that Ryan. He may have left it all to the bloody yacht club, then where will we be?'

Ryan was stumped, he'd obviously not considered that Will might leave his money to anyone but Samantha. She could almost see his brain turning over trying to process this new idea.

'No. he wouldn't do that and if he did you could contest the will. You wouldn't be left with nothing.'

'We don't know that. Maybe if we put into port we could report him missing. Maybe he's still alive. Maybe someone picked him up. The longer we leave it the more suspicious it looks.'

'He's dead you've got to accept that. Even if he was alive when he went in the water, he wouldn't have lasted long. This is the Atlantic Ocean, maximum survival time is about twenty minutes, half an hour tops. I checked the radar there wasn't a boat that could have got to him in time. Besides, if anyone had picked him up they would have reported it and called for a lifeboat. I was monitoring the radio. The only activity was some French bird in St Nazaire, rabbiting on in her own language.'

'Duh, it is the French coast what language did you expect her to speak?'

'English of course, it's the standard maritime language. All the coast guards speak it and all emergency transmissions are supposed to be in English. She was probably just chatting with her boyfriend.'

'So if we are not going to put into port, what are we going to do? We can't just sail into Gib without him.'

'Well, the weather forecast says there are some squalls coming up in a day or two. When they hit we report him as swept overboard and call it in to the coastguard. We go on to Gib because I'll be injured and can't help in the search. You see I've got it all worked out.'

'Doesn't it worry you that you just killed a man?'

'I don't think about it. I did what had to be done, but it's not just me, we're both in this together.'

'But I didn't do anything. I wanted you to go back for him.'

'I know that, and you know that, but if they find out about us, no jury will believe you weren't in on it. It wouldn't matter what I said.'

Up to that point Samantha had managed to keep up her act, but at hearing the last thing Ryan had to say she could feel her grip starting to slip. 'That's not fair, I had nothing to do with it. I didn't even want it. I was happy with things the way they were.'

'But you were the one with the most to gain. If they decided that it was murder, and if they knew you had a lover, no one would believe you had nothing to do with it. That's why we've got to convince everyone that it was an accident. We need to come up with a story and stick to it.'

She burst into tears all hope of holding it together had gone. Two days before she'd been on top of the world. Her husband was home and they were enjoying being together, he sailing his boat she enjoying the site of him really enjoying himself. She'd been so happy. It was a bit embarrassing having Ryan around but she'd been able to live with that. Now her whole world had fallen apart. Ryan was right people would think she'd put him up to it. She could already see the headlines calling her the Black Widow. 'I don't deserve this.' she thought. 'Alright I had a little fling with Ryan but that's not a crime.'

She felt Ryan's arm around her shoulders.

'Don't cry about it, I'll sort it out. We'll stick to it being an accident. It's up to them to prove that it wasn't. If we stick together we'll be fine.'

Sam tried to finish her breakfast but she couldn't. Her stomach kept telling her that it wanted to empty out its contents. She went back to the cabin and tried to read but she couldn't keep her mind focused on the story. They didn't expect to reach Gibraltar for another four days, she didn't think she could last that long.

The day dragged on for Sam. Ryan offered her food and drink but she wasn't interested. That night she left the door unlocked and was not surprised when she felt Ryan climb in beside her. She felt him snuggle up behind her. His hand came around to her breast. She pushed his hand away.

'Not tonight Ryan. I'm just not in the mood.'

Ryan sighed and rolled away from her.

Chapter 4

Tom Wainwright sat in the chair beside his son. In his hand was a book of poetry by Philip Larkin. He remembered Will at fourteen reading the poems to his mother. His mum never liked them because of the bad language. Will kept telling her, it wasn't the words that were important but the way the poet used them. He kept on reading until Tom, seeing his wife's discomfort, snatched the book and threw it in the bin. 'There.' He'd said. 'That's where your bloody poetry belongs. Why can't you leave all this arty farty stuff be? Can't you see you're upsetting your mother? Why can't you be more of a man, like your brother?'

He reached out and squeezed his son's hand. 'He knew a thing or two, this Larkin chap. You won't be surprised to know I've never really read his work. I can see now why you used to like it.'

He went back to reading. He was still doing that when I got back. I'd been away for four hours in which I'd bought an I Pod and amplified speaker system, downloaded some music, moved into my hotel room, and even snatched a couple of hours sleep. As I walked into the room, Tom got up to greet me with a kiss on each cheek.

'My you're looking better lass.'

'Thanks Tom it's amazing what a few hours sleep and a shower can do. Anything happening here?'

'Not really, they took him down for an MRI scan about an hour ago but no one is saying anything.'

'Has Doctor Montand been in?'

'No, Nurse Marie has been in a few times to check on him and change the drip.'

'Perhaps we should go and find Dr Montand and then maybe you'd like to buy me a cup of coffee.

It took about five minutes to find Dr Montand who seemed very pleased to see a blood relation who could authorise any further operations. He explained exactly what he had done. I asked about the latest scan. He produced a tablet computer and flicked through the images.

'Hmm, it looks encouraging. Monsieur Wainwright's brain has stopped swelling. It may have even gone down a bit. We'll know more tomorrow, maybe if this continues, we can reduce the sedation.'

We thanked him and went off to the staff restaurant to get a cup of coffee. I sat down opposite him trying to think of how to broach the subject I wanted to talk about. Tom looked at me with a twinkle in his eye.

'Now young lady I'd like to think it was my irresistible charm that makes you want to be here with me. However, my ego is not that big. So what do you want to talk to me about?'

'Well, I know that Will likes to think that he doesn't need anyone. I don't know how long it's going to take for him to recover from this, or even if he will completely recover. He needs you on his side. I know you two don't get on, but I don't know why.'

'Ah, so you want the potted family history. Okay, I'll give it to you but I doubt it will help, too much water gone under the bridge. I'm afraid you won't like me much after you've heard it all.'

Tom shuffled uncomfortably in his seat as he tried to figure out where to start. 'You know Will is not an only child don't you.'

'No I didn't.'

'He had a brother, John. John was four years older, and when Will came along he became very jealous. Like most men, I could relate to a four-year-old easier than I could to a baby. I told myself that I was only compensating for the fact that Will got all his mother's attention. It wasn't true, of course, he was always my son, named after my father. As he grew up John was always what I called a real boy. He was in the school football team, the swimming team and he even ran for them, a real sports star, what father wouldn't be proud. I went to all his matches and saw him presented with trophy after trophy, I even bought a cabinet for them. Will was a different kettle of fish. Everything was inside with him. In here.' He tapped the side of his head with his finger.

'He wasn't interested in sports. Teachers said he was unusually gifted, academically. He loved it all. I'm an engineer, right? I can do maths, but he wasn't just good at it, he loved it. It was the same with literature and science. Anything that required brainpower. At fourteen, he was county Chess champion. I mean chess, my son playing chess. But when he played his big tournament where was I? On the golf course, playing around with my mates. I couldn't face sitting there watching while the clocks ticked away. I mean what did I know about chess. It was down to Emma, my wife, to be there and bring him home. When I got home she was full of it, county champion at fourteen. I'd had a couple of gin and tonics in the 19th hole, and couldn't see what the fuss was all about. I think I said something like `It's just a bloody board game.' Emma tried to put the trophy in the cabinet but Will grabbed it, took it up to his room and we never saw it again. Later that year, we had another run in about poetry. Emma told me it was time I remembered I had two sons.'

'Trouble is it was already too late, that was the last time he said anything to me that he didn't have to. Even at Christmas and birthdays, Emma would ask what he wanted and the response was always the same. `I don't want anything from him''

'He did two paper rounds, one morning, one evening. On Saturdays, he worked filling shelves in the supermarket. I tell you that boy did nothing but work and study. I thought he would come around. He saw his brother getting whatever he needed, just by asking. Yet he was prepared to work his arse off just to avoid asking. He wanted a new computer, he went out and bought it.'

'John decided that he didn't want to go to university. He didn't see the point when he was only going to end up in the family business. Will never even considered that. When he reached eighteen, he bought himself a motorbike and took a place at Southampton University studying Economics and Statistics. That was where he got into sailing. From then on, I only saw him at Christmas, he got jobs in Southampton for spring and summer break. He came home to see his mum from time to time, but always when I was at work.'

'One of my golfing pals had a daughter at Southampton. She said he was making a name for himself as a sailor. At last, he was doing something I could understand. A race is a race whether it's running swimming or sailing. The first one over the line wins. You can tell how someone is doing by their position in the race. I were right proud lass. I wanted to go and see him race but I had no idea of where or when he was racing. I could have asked my friend, but I didn't want to admit that my youngest son was a stranger to me. I just bluffed it out by saying that his mother and I were very proud of him.'

'John went from bad to worse wherever I put him in the company he fouled up. He was usually late, hung over, or both. I had to employ someone else to double check everything he did. He had a company car, which he wrote off twice. He was a spoiled brat and I knew that I'd made him that way. Just as sure as I'd given Will the impression that nothing he did would ever be good enough, I'd given John the idea that he could do whatever he wanted and he would always be forgiven. I had no choice, he was all I had left. I had to hope that somehow he could turn himself around.'

'While John was trying to act like a playboy Will was busy making sure he was in a position to become one. It was the time of deregulation in the city and while he was still at university, he started trading on the stock market. He graduated with a double first and no debt. His jobs and his trading meant that he was actually better off when he finished than when he started. He got a job as a trader in the city and became one of the champagne Charlies. Of course, he didn't lead their lifestyle, just stashed all the money away for later. His only extravagance was to buy himself an eighteen-foot racing Skiff. He called it Blow Job but the sailing establishment didn't like that and wouldn't let him race. They said it was too embarrassing for the commentators. Will gave in and renamed the boat, Bee Jay. I saw him race in Cowes one year, he and his crew won their class. The friends who took me reckoned it was all to do with Will's tactics. They suggested we go and find him and his crew, and take them out to celebrate. I wanted to, I really did, but I got scared. What could I say to my friends if he turned his back on me?'

'Even at that point, there was still a way back. Emma and I studied the sailing calendar and arranged to go and watch him again. I knew he would never snub her even if that meant talking to me. I thought if only I talked to him I could undo some of the damage. I really thought I had a chance, then came the night I destroyed my world.'

'I was supposed to accompany Emma to a big charity do, but I got involved in negotiations to supply one of the big car firms down in Birmingham. The talking went on a bit. By six thirty, we were still at it and I had to take them to dinner. Of course, I called Emma and she agreed to go on her own, as long as I picked her up. I was on my way home with a little time to spare when I ran into a big jam on the motorway. When I hadn't moved for half an hour, I knew I wasn't going to make it. So I phoned John and asked him to pick up his mother. When he refused, I really lost it. I told him either he picked her up or he would find himself out of a job and without a car in the morning. He kept protesting but I would have none of it. I hung up on him. I got past the holdup and realised that I would only be half an hour late. I tried to ring Emma but there was no reply. I guessed that John must have picked her up. I'd just got onto the elevated section when everything came to a standstill. All I could see was flashing blue lights ahead. As I got close, I could see someone had gone through the crash barrier. I can remember feeling sorry for them. I didn't know you see.'

Tears were running down his face as he looked at me. I took both of his hands in mine. 'Oh no, Tom not Emma.'

He nodded his head. 'They never stood a chance, it's about a hundred foot drop. The police told me John had four times the legal limit of alcohol in his blood. That must have been what he was trying to tell me, but I wouldn't listen. I killed them, as sure as if I pushed them over. I know it and Will knows it.'

I moved to sit beside him, put my arm around his shoulders and hugged him tight to my chest. 'No you didn't Tom it wasn't your fault. John knew how much he'd drunk. He could have picked up Emma in a taxi. He didn't have to drive. I'm sure Will doesn't really blame you.'

'Oh, he does lass. You should have seen him at the funeral. He tried to avoid me all he could but my sister got us together. She told us we'd only got each other now and it was time we buried the hatchet. Will just looked at me and said that I killed all chance of that on that fateful night.'

'But your still here when he needs you. You haven't given up.'

'I can't lass. My Emma was right I had two sons I need to show him that no matter what, I love him and I'm proud of him. I always have been really, I just didn't know how to show it. I hate what he does but I'm proud of the fact that he's got where he is all on his own.'

I took his hand in both of mine. 'We'll pull him through this, you and I, and then you'll get your chance.'

We finished our coffee. Tom left for the hotel and I settled in for another evening of sitting with Will. I set up the I Pod and started up the laptop to get a bit of work done. As Nigel Kennedy opened up with Vivaldi's four seasons, I checked on the position of Bee Jay II. She was approaching the coast of Spain, off A Coruna. I checked the news. There was still no `Man Overboard' report. As time went by it looked less and less like an accident.

After an uneventful evening, Tom relieved me at midnight and I went back to the hotel to have the best night's sleep I'd had since it all began. Tom was asleep in the chair when I got to the hospital. I woke him up and took him out for breakfast. When we returned, they were taking Will down for another MRI scan. I promised Tom that I'd keep him informed and he went back to the hotel. It was midday before Will was returned to his room. Two hours later Dr Montand came in with a beaming smile on his face.

'Good news Ma'mselle, the swelling is going down. We can start reducing his sedation.'

'But what does this mean for Will. Is he going to be OK?'

The doctor shrugged. 'There will be some damage, we do not know how much. It is possible that he will make a full recovery, we will know more once he is conscious. Give us a few days we will know more then.'

'When do you expect him to come round Doctor?'

'We will reduce the sedation gradually. He may start coming back to us sometime tomorrow, maybe a little later. We will keep an eye on him, if we see any signs of a return to consciousness we will remove the breathing tube.'

He seemed a little surprised when I hugged him.

When the doctor left, I went over to the bed and kissed Will's forehead. 'It's time for you to come back to us. It's all up to you now.'

DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,625 Followers