Housesitter Ch. 01

Story Info
Charlotte begins her story.
1.1k words
3.79
15.6k
2
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Coupledome-Why We Do It

A question has come to my mind as of late. Why do women-strong, independent, successful women-feel the need to be in a couple-no matter what the circumstances? While writing my column in a downtown Starbucks, I've observed all sorts of couples. Couples are everywhere, from the elderly couple perusing the Impressionist exhibit at the Art Institute, to the edgy young couple entering some posh stores on Michigan Ave. Yet, while some of these relationships are quite healthy, others are dysfunctional and doomed for failure. This begs the question, why stay in such a relationship? It seems women cling to relationships as a drowning person to a lifesaver. Most stay in relationships long past their natural deaths, and yet when single, they go searching for a new relationship to fill some 'void' left. For a century or more, women have fought for independence from men, so why the change of heart when it comes to romance? My challenge is to all the ladies out there, single or in an unhealthy relationship: ditch the men and have a go at pleasing the most important person in your life-you.

Charlotte Weber, Chicago Weekly Times

Charlotte closer her laptop with a snap. As of late, her articles had started sounding more cynical than ever. Everything had started going downhill when he'd played bridesmaid at her best friend, Sarah,'s wedding. Charlotte was one of the very few of her twenty-something friends who wasn't married or in a committed relationship, and it looked like it was going to stay that way. Even here, at the cozy Starbucks, just a block from her apartment, things looked bleak. As she stretched in her chair, Charlotte remembered tonight's blind date. Her mother had set her up with the nephew of one of the women in her spin class. Charlotte was definitely not looking forward to it.

Charlotte walked into the crowded restaurant, quickly adjusting her little black dress she'd broken out in honor of her first date in almost a year. She scanned the room and found the table her mother said he'd be at. However, the man sitting there, watching the front door with a rather resigned expression, couldn't possibly be the man her mother set her up with. He was absolutely gorgeous. His smooth tan skin looked golden in the candlelight and perfectly complimented his rich auburn hair. Charlotte nodded to the hostess and walked awkwardly towards the table. This was the sort of situation her sister, Adrienne, would have been able to handle smoothly. Charlotte had a fleeting image in her mind of Adrienne walking gracefully up to this gorgeous man, and melting his heart with her long, toned legs, and bright, flashy smile. This thought was quickly smothered while she desperately tried to be calm as Charlotte got the man's attention. "Um, excuse me, you're Peter Goldman?" The man turned, startled, then nodded.

"Yes, that's me, which would make you Charlotte Walker, would it not?" Peter asked, as he flashed a charming smile. He stood up and pulled out the chair opposite his. Charlotte was still quite dazed as she sat down, wondering how her mother managed to find the one man who was gorgeous and polite. Peter, in the meantime, had sat down and was no looking very serious and worried. "Charlotte, this is going to be very awkward and embarrassing, but I feel I must tell you. Please accept my apologies beforehand." He paused and Charlotte nodded, though not really wanting to know what came next. Peter took a deep breath and continued. "The truth is, I'm gay. I'm in a relationship right now, I just haven't found the right opportunity to tell my aunt." Charlotte just gaped at him, not really comprehending. It seemed that the guy her mother fixed her up with was gorgeous, polite, and gay. It served her right for agreeing to go on a blind date arranged by her mother, but it had been so long since Charlotte had last had sex. She needed a one-night-stand, and fast. When she came back to herself, Charlotte realized that Peter was still babbling his profuse apologies. It was time to put him out of his misery.

"Really, Peter, it's all right. It was an honest mistake. You can go, if you like." Peter gave her a look mixed with anxiety and relief.

"If you're really sure. I'll at least leave money for your dinner." Charlotte considered his offer, then accepted. What could it hurt, taking in to account the shock she had just endured. Peter smiled and put down a hundred, telling Charlotte to keep the change. She did just that, feelings of guilt over taking his money fading by the time Charlotte had started drowning her troubles in chocolate ice cream. Much to her surprise, a familiar elderly man slid into the seat across from her.

"Well hello there, my favorite grandniece, fancy seeing you here." Charlotte smiled and momentarily forgot her troubles as memories of times spent with Great-Uncle Isaac came flooding back. "Actually, I can only talk briefly—" he paused to wave to another man who looked to be about his age before continuing. "I need a favor of you, Charlotte dear."

She nodded, wondering what the old man could possibly want from her. Uncle Isaac was, last she knew, in very good health, had a fair heap of money saved up, and had a beautiful old manor on the English countryside. What she could possibly have that he wanted was beyond her. "Anything for you, Uncle Isaac."

He nodded approvingly. "Wonderful. Now dear, I just got back from England, visiting the estate, and have had a spot of bad luck. The wonderful woman who has looked after it for quite a while now has had to take a break. Her youngest has been quite ill lately, and to recuperate, they're going to the mountains for a bit of fresh air." He paused for a moment. Charlotte still had no idea what this all had to do with her. "Anyway, I really need someone to look after the place for a month or two, before she gets back. I have to stay here for business, so I thought you would be perfect for the job." Charlotte was dumbstruck for the second time that evening. Uncle Isaac, seeming not to notice, ploughed on. "I won't actually pay you, if that's all right, but I will give you the ability to write checks from my account for anything you need. Really, anything you want, for that matter." Charlotte gulped and managed to compose herself enough to reply. It wasn't until she was grasping a plane ticket and checkbook in one hand and Uncle Isaac kissed her cheek and walked away that he realized she had accepted.