How High a Price: Long Ending

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BDad
BDad
137 Followers

Backing the Explorer out of the driveway they begin driving at a leisurely pace, making small talk. They generally avoided any conversation about their current situation although it was always hovering close at the back of their minds.

Eventually they stopped at a roadside restaurant that advertised good food, patio seating and a view of Mount Rainier. Inside they were seated on a deck around an alcove that provided reasonable privacy.

Reviewing the menu they made their selections and placed their orders with the waiter. Then as an afterthought Early ordered a bottle of wine.

Relaxing and sipping their wine they avoided speaking until the silence became embarrassing. Each waited for the other to be the first to break it.

Finally Susan spoke "What is going to happen to us Early?"

"Depends on us, what we want, what we expect, what we are willing to do."

"I'm afraid" Susan whispered "Afraid you will never understand and never forgive me."

"You are right about the never understanding, I don't think I will ever understand why this happened. You're probably wrong about me never forgiving. In any case neither are deal breakers for us staying together, at least not for me."

"After what I've done how do I get you to love me again?" Susan nearly sobbed as she forced the words out. "God how you must hate me"

"Quite the contrary" Early replied evenly, "I already love you more than anything on this earth, hating you would make the solution easy. If I hated you I could walk away and never look back, go find someone else to love. The problem is not in getting me to love you, it is in getting me to trust you and respect you.

As great an issue for me is how do I get back my self respect and get you to respect me."

Startled by Early's comment Susan looked across the table into his face, "I don't understand, you've done nothing to lose your self respect and god knows I have always respected you more than any person I have ever known."

"I don't think so, you see, I believe that the root of your rationale for cheating on our marriage came not from a lack of love for me but from a lack of respect. Until that respect is regained you will feel cheating is not such a big deal."

"My self respect will be regained when I have convinced myself that I have dealt with this situation in a manner satisfactory to me. Whether we stay married or get divorced, I need to feel I have done everything that I can and that what I have done was the right thing to do. I realize this is very self-centered on my part, but I was excluded in your decision to offer yourself to your "friend," and from his decision to accept your offer. Now I have to do what is right for me."

Before Susan could speak the waiter brought their meal and they ate mostly in silence, speaking only when the course of the meal required it.

After finishing their meal and the last of the wine Early suggested they head home as they must return to work the next day. He pointed out that they would both need their strength and energy for dealing with the problems that were sure to present themselves in the immediate future.

Arriving home Early went into their bedroom and gathered the clothing and toiletries he would need for work the next day. As he moved to the guest bedroom he met Susan in the hallway between the bedrooms.

"Early, why are you staying in the guest bedroom, why can't we sleep together in our bedroom?"

"Susan it will probably be a while before we sleep together again. However, tomorrow the new twin beds will be delivered and our bed will be removed and disposed of. Even though we won't be sleeping together we will be sleeping in the same room" Early answered in as even a voice as he could. He was thinking about the physical separation from Susan and how much he ached for her but his mind continued to conjure up visions of her on her back with John Stickner rutting between those long legs, his ass pumping up and down as she submitted to him, using her body in the intimate way only Early had known for the past 10 years. It was difficult for him to remain calm and it took all of his willpower to not lash out at her.

Before Susan could reply Early turned abruptly and entered the guest bedroom closing the door behind him.

Prior to going to bed Early tried to read a report in preparation for tomorrows work day but try as he might he just couldn't concentrate on the work. As he thought about Susan in the room across the hall his eyes became misty and he allowed himself to relax and let go. The pain was still there, the humiliation, the confusion as to why this had happened and the feeling of love for Susan. "God," he admitted to himself, "I still am so in love with her."

Soon the anger began creeping back in and Early reluctantly welcomed it for he found the anger soothing to his soul. The rage and anger let him focus sharply while the hurt, pain and humiliation clouded his mind and confused him. No, at this point anger was his ally. He only need control it. He had forever heard the old tale about hate and love being separated by a very thin line. Now he began to understand.

Across the hall Susan lay awake staring at the ceiling wondering what was to become of her life. How did this mess come about? It had all seemed so perfectly clear at the time, how was it the thoughts of adultery and infidelity had never even entered her mind until Early had so forcefully thrust them in front of her? What had she been thinking? As she reexamined the events leading up to this week she admitted to herself that she had become more and more focused on her career and less and less aware of her life outside of the office. Was Early right, that her respect for him had become less? And John, now that she thought about it John had been almost overly accommodating. Had he used her ambition to seduce her? With these thoughts Susan slowly fell into a fitful sleep.

Chapter 3 - Monday

Getting up early he quietly completed his morning ablutions, dressed and left for the office before Susan woke. He wondered if she would go into her office today after the strain of the weekend. He wondered what her reaction to John Stickner would be when she saw him again. Would the pain of the week end dim and her vows that she still loved Early fade when she returned to Stickners sphere of influence and the pressure charged atmosphere of her office? He dreaded Susan returning to that environment. Realistically though he knew it was not only necessary for her to deal with those influences but that he too must be able to deal with her being there. Whatever happened, happened.

Arriving at work one-half hour before scheduled starting time Early read through the accumulated pile of correspondence he found in his in basket. Concentrating on the days work before him let Early push the situation with Susan to the back of his mind and gave him a respite from the turmoil of the past few days.

Halfway through perusal of a letter on office security his secretary came into his office with a smug smile on her face. After a cheery morning greeting and welcome back she reminded him of the Monday morning senior staff meeting and that it was important that he not miss it. There was to be an important announcement made by none other than the president of the company! The chairman of the board would be in attendance today as well. She also commented on his office being cluttered and somewhat shabby looking as she scurried around the room shuffling paperwork from one place to another.

May had been his secretary from the beginning of his employment at Intertech and at 15 years his senior in age had tended to mother him. Today it was more evident than usual and he wondered what bee was up her bonnet as she continued on straightening papers and chattering about the staff meeting. Something was obviously up. Well let's find out he thought as he grabbed a cup of coffee and headed to the meeting.

Most of the other senior staff had already arrived and as they exchanged greetings there were congratulations on his highly successful handling of the negotiations with RCP Industries the previous week. The reminder of the negotiations brought Early back to the events of the weekend and caught him off guard for a moment. His friend and corporate attorney Sam Tucker was setting next to Early and noticed the sudden change in his expression "Are you OK Early?"

Startled out of his black thoughts Early put a smile on his face "Yes fine thanks, just tired from a lack of sleep, I had a bitch of a weekend and didn't sleep well."

"Well, hang in there I think better things are about to happen!" Sam responded with a sly smile on his face.

At that time Dan Mattiuzzi the company president accompanied by Alex Neilson the chairman of the board came into the room and after greetings to everyone sat down. The rumble of casual conversation abruptly ended and the meeting started.

The meeting followed the normal Monday morning agenda with each department giving a brief overview of their current status and comments on anything extraordinary that happened during the previous week. Somewhat unusually Early was skipped and his report was the last made. When it was finally his turn he gave a brief outline of the successful negations in Los Angles the week before and in normal form minimized his personal performance in those negotiations. Finally the meeting was nearing its end.

Dan Mattiuzzi thanked Early for his report and took the floor. "I have an announcement that I have mixed emotions about. You are all aware of the added pressure on our company since the horrible events of September 11th. Sadly, due to recent events and e nature of our business plus our special relationship to the government, the Board of Directors and I believe it is necessary to take extra measures to protect our people and property. To this end we are creating a new Vice Presidents position within the company that will be responsible for this function as well as combining it with several others that currently exist. The good news is that we have selected someone within our own ranks that we believe is ideally suited to the position. He isn't aware of his nomination but I am sure you will all agree with the board and myself that he is the right person at the right time for this job."

Early wondered what this was all about but was having a difficult time following along as he kept wondering what Susan was doing and how her day was going. Would she change her mind today after being at work? Would Stickners influence tip the scale back to her focus on her career? God he wished he knew what to do, if only he could make her see...

"Gentlemen our nomination for the newest Vice President of Intertech is Early Conroy"

Jerking his head up at the sound of his name he wondered if he had heard correctly? He was going to be a Vice President of Intertech?

The other men around the table sat and watched as Early struggled for a moment to adjust from his previous thoughts to the here and now. For once in his life he was caught without something to say.

After a short few seconds of silence Dan Mattiuzzi said "Well Early, aren't you going to say something?"

Early had deduced some time ago that Intertec would have to come to grips with the need for increased security for its property and personnel. Incidents at two of their overseas operations and the nature of their contracts with the US Government made that a certainty. He had not suspected he would be involved.

"I am at a loss for words, a poor position for a person who "negotiates" for a living" Early replied with wry humor. Most of the others around the table chuckled at this remark. Early was viewed by his peers as a man with keen insights, an uncanny ability to communicate with and influence others and above all else he never lost his composure.

"I am flattered that you and the board have chosen me for this position and I thank you for the opportunity. Security is becoming increasingly more important given the worlds current political atmosphere and I have some specific ideas as to what we need to do. I look forward to this challenge and justifying the faith you and the board have placed in me."

"We look forward to hearing your ideas, in fact if there is no other business for this group I would like for you to meet with Alex and myself in my office and discuss where we are going with this and also your promotion."

"This meeting is adjourned"

At the adjournment of the meeting the other staff members in the room congratulated Early. After a few minutes of exchanging pleasantries Early excused himself and made his way to the presidents office.

Entering Mattiuzzi's office he could feel a palpable sense of purpose. This was what the seat of power felt like Early mused to himself. A seat was offered off to one side of the room where the President and Chairman of the board were already seated at a table with fresh cups of coffee. "Care for a cup of coffee?"

"Yes, thank you." Early replied as Mattiuzzi's secretary poured another cup and handed it to him. The coffee's pleasant aroma gave the room a relaxed and pleasant feeling. Early felt the best he had in days.

Setting his cup down Early's boss began speaking in a friendly tone but one that Early knew was dead serious. "Early, Alex and I have followed your career here at Intertech and have been enormously impressed with your ability to stay calm and deal with people, especially in less than ideal circumstances. Your handling of the negotiations with RCP Industries last week has put us in a position to accelerate our growth and marketing plan by several years. The concessions you got them to agree to are substantially better than we had hoped and the amazing thing is that they called and are extremely pleased with the deal they are getting. This ability is the first thing that influenced us to choose you to head this new effort. The second was your military record, especially in the area of security. The Pentagon wouldn't let us have your complete file but what we did get was impressive. Also, General McLean, your old commanding officer, gave you very high marks."

"That was very kind of the general"

As the three men talked on Early couldn't help but become excited at this new development. The pay increase was over double what he was now making plus the benefits that came with the title "Vice President." A new much larger office, company car, stock options and so on. This was the greatest day of his career and while remaining outwardly calm he was euphoric on the inside! He couldn't wait to get home and tell Susan! At that thought it was suddenly as if Early had run head on into a massive stone wall, his demeanor changed so abruptly that Dan Mattiuzzi remarked, "Are you OK Early? You suddenly looked as if you had swallowed something bad."

"No I am fine, just the excitement of the moment I guess, that and I didn't sleep very well last night."

"Well, take care of yourself, we don't want the newest vice president of Intertech to expire before he gets started." Alex Neilson commented with a smile.

The meeting continued then on a more serious note with exchanges between the three men concerning Early's new responsibilities and authority. Outlining the potential problems as he saw them, Early presented his ideas for dealing with them along with a gross estimate of the assets needed. The two older men generally agreed and finally the meeting was concluded with the decision that Early prepare and submit a detail plan for his new responsibilities and their integration into his existing group. The senior officers also suggested that Early take a few days off and go somewhere with his wife to celebrate his promotion and his success of the previous week. They felt he had earned it. This last suggestion caused Early to reflect on his current situation with Susan and his mood became serious and somber.

"I appreciate the offer, my wife's situation at her firm is in a state of flux and I may be needed to help her through it. I will probably be here the first part of the week and then perhaps when things are a little more settled I will take a few days and get away from it all." Early wondered what they would think if they knew how much of a turmoil things were really in at the Conroy household.

"Dan, I want to thank you and Alex for this opportunity and for having faith in me. I promise it will not be misplaced." And with that Early turned and left the room and returned to his old office. He anticipated that he would remain there for a few days until his new one was completed and his files and other personal items had been transferred.

Sitting alone in his office Early let himself relax and take time to ponder the current events taking place in his life. Here was the highlight of his career to date and the euphoria of achieving a major goal he had set for himself. On the other side was his marriage teetering on the brink of utter destruction. He was faced with loosing Susan, the most important thing to ever be in his life. These two events were like fire and ice in his mind, lifting him up and then crashing down like a runaway roller coaster. He sat and let his mind alternate between euphoria and despair. Finally after a few minutes he reined in his emotions letting just a hint of anger remain. There were things to do and now was the time to start.

Going to his office door Early looked at May, "Please ask Sam Turner and Jay Stockton to come to my office and when they get here I want you to join us. Also I don't want us to be disturbed unless it is Dan Mattiuzzi or Alex Neilson"

When Early's team members had settled around the oak table with fresh cups of coffee he took his place and looking at each one he began. "I'm going to discuss something with you that will be in strict confidence and is very personal, not business. What I'm going to ask you to do is outside of company operations and if you feel in any way you cannot be involved in this please let me know. You will be excluded from any further participation without any prejudice. Is everyone clear on this?"

Each person around the table nodded in agreement, each curious as to what was up.

"I want someone investigated."

The people around the table sat silently for a moment before Sam turner spoke up, "OK, there is nothing really new about this, we always do checks on the people and companies we negotiate or meet with if it is serious enough. Who is it we're talking about?"

"His name is John Stickner and he is a partner of the law firm "Jenson, Sharone and Anderson."

"I've heard of him, he's a fairly heavy hitter in the legal community around here."

"Is he untouchable?"

"No one is untouchable, depends on how hard you want to touch."

"What I want is to establish an advantage for dealing with this guy, I want leverage that will have serious influence on him personally."

Speaking for the first time Jay Stockton asked, "We still have credit with the farm boys from Virginia, do we need to go there?"

After a pause for consideration Early replied, "Not yet, if we can't get what I need on our own then maybe we will avail ourselves of that asset but I would prefer to not use that account up on this if we don't have to."

"Doesn't Susan work at Jenson, Sharone and Anderson, Early?" May asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes" was Early's short reply

"Early, we are your friends as well as your work associates, is there something going on that you want to tell us about?" May asked in an almost motherly voice while looking him directly in the eye.

"I can't discuss it right now. I know I am asking a lot to involve each of you in this but it is very important to me. I will tell you that a pivotal event in my life is occurring now and I need to deal with it. In a few days I will let you know how it turns out. Until then I will need your support and trust."

BDad
BDad
137 Followers