How to Walk Away...

Story Info
From your addictions...your very nature.
1.6k words
4.48
18.5k
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tara Cox
Tara Cox
2,499 Followers

How do you walk away? Simply walk away from a dream? From the lifestyle that you have pursued for two long years? Walk away from a need that is deep inside of you? Turn your back on your own nature? How can you possibly do that and survive? The answer is quite simple really. You face the truth...and it sets you free.

Almost two years ago I began to explore my submissive nature. I had been celibate for the better part of eighteen months because of the psychological damage that my five year marriage had done to me. My self-esteem was shot. I was an emotional basket case.

Then I decided quite simply that I need to get laid. Simple as. I placed an advert online looking for a fuck buddy. And I found a great guy. A wonderful summer romance. We clicked from the beginning. I went from celibate to making out in a parking lot...not a car...the actual parking lot...in half an hour. He was not a Dom but he was dominant.

I had an online email pal who was his wife's Master. He and I got talking. I started reading books about BDSM. Not that one, some good ones. I joined a couple of sites. The first rude emails really turned me off a couple of sites. Then I found another social networking site for the lifestyle. It was much more my style. I began to explore.

In those two years, I have had perhaps a dozen or more tops. I had a Dom and a Daddy. I even had a Master. I cared for them all in one way or another. I gave all that I could. More than I should. I trusted them. I submitted to them. I even loved some of them. And I do not regret a moment of that journey.

I have learned so much about myself. I was born submissive. I believe that our personalities, our natures, are hardwired into us, into our genes. And mine just happens to be submissive. That is why I tried so hard as a child to please the adults. That is why my favorite words on this earth are 'good girl' and has been for as long as I remember.

This 'good girl' was born. My upbringing only reinforced needs inside of me. I did not even rebel as a teenager. When I finally got around to it in my late teens and early twenties, it was short lived, only a couple of years. Then I slipped into the quiet life of wife and mother. Oh, there were other rebellions later on, but all short lived as well. Because submission is more natural to me than rebellion. It always will be.

During these two years, I learned too why my marriages failed. Why I cannot respect weak men. Both of my ex-husbands were submissive men. And two submissives is a very bad combination. Each looks to the other to make decisions. And both are shit at making them. Lesson learned.

But I learned some other things too. Like why there must always be limits. Because as the saying goes, 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.' I found another quote by Abraham Lincoln the other day, I think I like it better. "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." When you give men (or women) that kind of power over you, well, none of them truly appreciates it.

Those limits are there to protect you. Not just your physical body that will usually heal. No, it is your emotions, your tender squishy insides, that are hurt the most when you give too much trust, too much power to someone, anyone. They will all let you down.

And you will let them down. That is what it means to be human. And why we must always have limits. Oh, those limits may be high, really high. But you can never allow another human being to use you, to take you for granted, to place their wants above your emotional needs. That is something called dignity and self-respect and it must always be protected.

I learned too that the lifestyle, BDSM, is a drug. No, really! The chemical process that operate in your brain when you play...the release of endorphins to counteract the pain that results in subspace...is the same as many anti-depressants. And honestly, it can be used as safely and effectively to treat mild depression and stress.

But like any drug, those prescription anti-depressants included, it has side-effects. Sub-drop, when those endorphins are finally used up and you are left feeling worse than you did to begin with, is one of them.

The other though is addiction. Some people take anti-depressants for a time and get better but far too many others come to depend upon the chemical cocktail to achieve happiness. So too do many people in the lifestyle come to need it. Need it more than their marriages. Need it more than their jobs. Need it more than their children. Need their next fix so badly that they will do anything with anyone to get it.

Ten days ago, Independence Day 2014 to be exact, my collar came off. He had been a good guy. A decent human being. But he fit that Abraham Lincoln quote to a tee. I admired the man that had faced adversity. Yet when I gave him that power, absolute power in fact, he did not pass the character test. It was one of those things I mentioned earlier...being taken for granted, your human dignity and self-respect. I drew the line. I stepped out of good little sub role and called him on his behavior. Doms don't like that. Especially when they know they are wrong. And are too proud to admit it.

Since then I have thought back long and hard over the past two years. Like I said, I do not regret any of it. I have learned so many lessons...good and bad about myself and others. I have grown as a human being. I am happier too. And that is where I come to my point about how to walk away...simply walk away...from the lifestyle or any other addiction in your life.

Yesterday, I asked my older daughter to watch her little sister so that I could go to a fetish event. I went alone. That had always been something that made me uncomfortable. Going alone and unprotected did not conform to my personal beliefs about the behavior of a good girl. But yesterday, I went alone. I did not even message any of my dear friends asking them if they were going. I knew at least a couple would have gone with me but I did not want a cop out. I wanted to face my demons.

I made a costume for the event even. One of my little dresses. He had dressed me as a slut in corsets and stockings for months even though that is not my style. This dress was for me. And I did not even cheat by carrying it in a bag and changing when I got there. No, I wore a little girl dress on the trains across London on a sunny summer Sunday. And I held my head high.

What did I do? Normal things. I saw one friend there and said hello. I got a coke and walked around. But mostly I found a booth and sat alone drinking my coke. Don't feel sorry for me. I was no wall flower. I had at least three guys come and stand close to me, looking for some sign that it was all right to approach me.

A sign that never came. I was alone by choice. Except that I was not alone at all. I was messaging two friends as I sipped. One friend whom I had helped to save her marriage and another young woman that needs me that much now. I was happy.

But as I looked around me at the faces, some of them familiar, I realized that most of them were not. These people were controlled by the need for their drug. They were like junkies looking to score. Nervous, looking about constantly, barely able to contain themselves until their fix.

One Domme in particular caught my eye. I had known her for over a year. In that time, her physical appearance had deteriorated. She had let herself go. Unhappiness weighted upon her. Okay, perhaps that has to do with something else in her life...work or family. But shouldn't being around something you consider a hobby, something meant to add to your life, relax you?

In the end, I did not finish my coke. I made a decision. I needed a nap while my girls were gone more than I needed this. Am I against the lifestyle? Do I believe BDSM is wrong or harmful? Not at all! I met my best friends in this community. And it is a community in a way that most things are not these days. That is because any group that is ostracized learns to hang together, to protect one another.

Will I go back there? Might I even play again one day? Maybe, I have learned to never say never. And I will never change who I am...a submissive. But yesterday showed me the most important thing that any of us need to learn...I control my nature, it does not control me. It is my choice. Not my addiction. Not my need.

But an option...just like a nap was another one. And sometimes in life we need a nap...and sometime we need to play. Nothing wrong with either...in its place. I hope you discover that revelation for yourself. Because that is how you walk away from the playground...before it starts to take its toll upon you.

Tara Cox
Tara Cox
2,499 Followers
Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It is funny to me that I read this revelation tonight because I have been struggling to bring some balance back in my life. I realize now that I may have to quit cold Turkey and that I should expect to go through withdrawal. I have all the symptoms of someone addicted and I am no longer enjoying the things I used to enjoy. Everything seems like a chore and I would rather spend all my time lost in BDSM thoughts and activities. Thank you for all the insights it really helped.

Tara CoxTara Coxalmost 10 years agoAuthor
Anon...

Yeah, I tried that. It don't work. Your nature is your nature.

Don't get me wrong I am an Alpha (think wolves) sub so it is natural that other submissives come to me for advice, support and guidance. And for a time I was hurt and confused too. I tried the Domme thing. Because I am an Alpha and have sadistic tendencies I even had subs coming to me for play.

Thing is that it was not me...not natural. Don't get me wrong...from the sub's perspective I was pretty good. Because I gave them all the things I had always wanted in a Dom and never found. But it drained me...I took their needs so seriously that the responsibilities weighed on me. Granted...all Doms should feel that kind of responsibility for the subs they play with. But 'real' Doms get the thrill/high of domination that feeds that part of them that submission does for us. And without that natural tendency...being Dom/me is way more work than it is worth.

What you are talking about is what I wrote about...finding your limits. Knowing when to say no...You cannot use me like that. Self-respect and dignity are as much a right for submissives as they are Doms. Good luck...finding your place.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
But I want to be dominant

I know I'm submissive, but I want to be dominant. I'm sick of doing things for others and being left with a pittance in return. I facilitate others getting want they want, and JUST get-by myself. I envy those who can be dominant. I desperately try to be that way, but I always revert to what is comfortable, being submissive, being walked on.

Has anyone got an idea how to change an innate way of thinking. Because I certainly need it.

I post this comment anonymously even though I have a nom de plume, that's how embarrassed I am about being submissive.

syd_v63syd_v63almost 10 years ago
Speaking of Quotes

Interesting read, from reading it I get the sense that you are actually beginning your journey more than you are arriving somewhere. Your realization that limits and boundaries are crucial in all things is an important step in that journey. Regardless of whether you are a Top or a Bottom, Dom or Sub, Daddy, Mommy, Aunt or Uncle limits and boundaries are crucial to all. By setting appropriate boundaries we begin to demonstrate self-respect which is critical in our personal development. As cliche as it sounds, if we can't respect ourselves then who can we respect. Your recognition of your submissive nature, is and was, the first step to you developing a good foundation upon which to build. As you stated "I was born submissive" and then you recognized that "two submissives is a very bad combination" this was the beginning of your path to establishing appropriate limits and boundaries. Being submissive may mean you experiment with humiliation or test your tolerance for pain or it may even mean you temporarily allow others control but it does not mean you abdicate your responsibilities to yourself and others. It is true that there are aspects of the life style that centre around the exploration or testing of limits and boundaries but they do not involve the complete disregard of them.

If you are walking away from the life style as you say, then I wish you well on your journey of rediscovery. However it sounds more like you are suited to the life style and simply have to come to terms with having set limits and boundaries from which to build and move forward. Subs by the way can have limits and boundaries and can make choices, any Dom that tells you differently has there own journey of self discovery to make. As I do not know what your previous partner did to violate your trust I cannot comment on whether it is the Life Style you need to move away from or a particular set of individuals you need to disassociate yourself from.

There is another quote that I will leave you with and it's from another American; Benjamin Franklin.

"All things in moderation."

I believe it is the tell tale sign that an addiction is running you.

One last note. Addictions are behaviours which interfere in our ability to Function. Functional Behaviour are those behaviours required of us to move effectively through our world/life. Going to work, raising children, brushing our teeth, combing our hair, getting up and going to bed. When other behaviours impede those basic things then they maladaptive or dysfunctional. So if I'd rather play on the Internet than eat supper, and I do this this with relative frequency, than I'm in trouble. So if the Life Style took precedence over your work, raising your children or being with friends, then it was bordering on dangerous and you needed to walk away from it.

njlaurennjlaurenalmost 10 years ago
Wisely written

A lot of addictions start with people trying to self med and BDSM can be like that as well.People who are miserable because they never allowed themselves to have fun find freedom in someone else ordering them to have fun,experience it for the first time,then it is like a drug,they get deeper and deeper to experience more,then finf the 'real' world doesn't work.Some who find their dom/me inside grasp the thrill pf controlling others but then in their high forget their subs/slaves are human and fragile. It isn't that BDSM is inherently a problem,it is simply something that can seem to 'soothe' inner demons and end up becoming a drug to keep going,not a,part of their life.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

How to Make Her Scream for You A general guide to the core of a woman's sexual desire.in How To
My Wife's Only Gangbang It was just supposed to be dinner.in Loving Wives
Maxwell's Machine I had never thought about machine sex until I saw the ad.in BDSM
BDSM for Everyone Why everyone should be interested in BDSM.in Reviews & Essays
The Promise Promises are meant to be kept.in Romance
More Stories