I See You Everywhere... Ch. 02

Story Info
Randy deals with his loss poorly, very poorly.
4.2k words
4.03
39.9k
24
26

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 03/22/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jckpnsvg
Jckpnsvg
402 Followers

Ch. 2 (1983-1984)

Dealing with loss, poorly, very poorly

Several weeks had passed since Randy learned of Carol's passing. He spent his off-duty time drinking. He was managing to keep his drinking from interfering with his duties but his supervisors were more than aware and more than a little concerned. In addition, he was isolating himself more and more. The few friendships he'd started in the unit were withering. The huge amount of sympathy he'd been receiving was slowly changing to pity as they watched him self-destruct. In addition, his presence was a constant reminder that most of the unit felt the company commander had badly mishandled things when Randy was notified of Carol's death. Randy had become something of an embarrassment to command.

During this time Randy started having very vivid dreams. In those dreams, he saw Carol walking up a slight grade along a two-rut road along country meadows and forests. She was wearing a spring print sundress and carrying a floppy white straw hat. Her back was always to him and no matter how hard he tried to catch her he never shortened the distance between them. If he called she would turn and wave at him as if to say "hurry up" but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get closer. The dreams didn't stop until after he had arrived at the field station.

The 332nd MI BN was tasked with providing additional personnel for the NSA field station at Camp Humphreys. Camp Humphreys is now the location if I Corp HQ. At that time it consisted of the field station and several more support battalions for the 2nd ID. The field station was physically separated from the rest of the post by the airstrip and its own perimeter fence. The decision was made to send Randy to the field station. This solved a number of issues for command.

Randy didn't have much, less than two duffle bags of possessions and he was gone like he'd never been there. His arrival introduced him to 1SG Pashton. 1SG Pashton had just come from an AIT bn as a first sergeant. He treated the troops under him like they were trainees. Anyone under the rank of SSG E-6 was required to have off post passes with them. No passes, no leaving post under any circumstances. A lot of what he did with troops would have been normal in most active duty units. The field stations were a bit different. The personnel assigned there worked a rotating 12-hour shift, 4 shifts of 0700-1900, 2 days off, 4 shifts of 1900-0700, 2 days off rinse and repeat.

1SG Pashton had been pre-informed by the 332nd about what had occurred with Randy. He was less than sympathetic. He made certain that Randy was aware that he was less than sympathetic. Because he'd been told that Randy might be drinking a bit much he placed Randy on restricted access to off post. He didn't pull Randy's passes but he did require that Randy sign them out from the Charge of Quarters (CQ) each time he used them, that the time was noted in the log and that they had to be returned within 12 hours. This went on until the week before Christmas.

That week was eventful in the unit. Company duties and requirements and the attrition due to troops finishing their year-long yours in the country had come to loggerheads. Not enough bodies to do it all. Because it was observed that the company commander's three times daily, mandatory formations were consistently running long and causing issues with shift changes in the field station, the company commander was told there wouldn't be any more formations. In addition, a number of the company only policies, like off post passes, extra barrack's inspections and general army chicken shit were scrutinized, criticized and ended that week. Add to that a barracks wide remodel was started. What had been 2 man rooms were now 4 man rooms. All NCO's E-6 and above were required to find off post housing. The local Korean construction crew spent a week doing demolitions. They got to the point where there was no running water or heat in the building. That's when the contractor pulled his crews off the job and wanted to renegotiate the contract.

The first thing Randy did with his off post passes was go to the Post Exchange at I Corp HQ and put money down on Harley Davidson Sportster through the military purchase program. Pay for the bike while he was in country and pick it up once he got home. The dealership that would have his bike was in St. Cloud Minnesota. About 140 miles from home. His uncle Jim had done the same thing when he went to Vietnam in 67.

So now it's January, daytime high temps in the low twenties, nighttime lows often below zero, no heat, no running water. What was commands response? They issued one additional blanket and made arrangements for the troops to use the next door barracks sanitary facilities and showers. Of course for the benefit of using those facilities the people in Randy's unit got to clean them twice a week.

Long and short of it for Randy was that he was finally allowed off post access like nearly every other soldier stationed at Camp Humphreys. Randy wasn't impressed much by the bars and clubs outside the gate. His best friend in the unit was a character named Brent Anthony Timmins, B.A. to his friends. Not only did that match his initials it matched his attitude as well. B.A. Was dark chocolate in complexion to Randy's paper whiteness, short to Randy's tall, chubby to Randy's slim. A Mutt N Jeff friendship.

The second week of January saw the monthly alert. Everybody grabbed their weapons and gear and headed out to be placed in various fighting positions around the perimeter. Randy was in the ville when the siren went off. He was about half drunk at the time. Pretty much since getting his off-post access back, Randy spent his free time drinking. Randy returned to post, got his gear and went to the arms room. When he got there he was told to report to the first sergeant because he was "late". Randy found top Pashton and reported for duty. Top asked him why he was late. Randy replied, "I'm on my days off from the field station and I was in the ville first sergeant."

"have you been drinking today specialist?"

"Yes first sergeant, I have been."

"Why did you come back on post?

"It's an alert first sergeant. The company commander just put out during commander's time that we needed to get back here as soon as possible if there was an alert,"

"Fair enough specialist. I want you to man the position between the station and the antenna field by the maintenance shed."

"Understood first sergeant."

Randy made his way to the position. It was just above zero degrees with a twenty mile per hour wind blowing straight out of Siberia. Windchill's minus twenty or colder. When he got to the position he found it filled with ice. Zero cover from the wind. Randy moved some pallets and barrels and covered them with a partially iced up tarp. About this time another troop from the unit joined him. Tyrone was from Alabama, had twice the clothes on that Randy did and was shivering from cold in ten minutes. After twenty minutes, portions of his face and ears started taking on the paraffin wax appearance of frostnip if not frostbite. Randy noted this and told Tyrone to report back to the barracks because he was getting cold weather injuries.

Tyrone left and Randy waited for the alert to end or a relief to come get him out of the cold. Nearly three hours later the unit supply NCO came looking for him. "Specialist McCabe, are you there?"

"Yes sergeant Hill, I'm here."

"Why are you still here? The alert ended two hours ago. Everyone thinks you went over the fence with your weapon. You need to get back to the barracks right now!"

"No one informed me it was over sergeant. No one came to relieve me of this post."

Randy went back to the barracks and turned his weapon in. He was told to report to the first sergeant. Upon entering top's office he found SFC Handy, (Randy's platoon sergeant) and the company commander CPT Cardinal there as well.

"Where have you been specialist?

"At the fighting position, you assigned me to first sergeant."

"Why didn't you come back to the barracks when the alert was over?

"No one came to tell me it was over first sergeant."

"You sent PFC Wilson back to the barracks. Why didn't you return with him?"

"First sergeant, PFC Wilson was showing signs of becoming a cold weather casualty. I sent him back for treatment of his injuries. I did not abandon my post because I had not been properly relieved of it."

At this point, SFC Handy was suppressing laughter, top Pashton was turning red and CPT Cardinal was shaking his head.

"Sergeant Handy take the specialist here and see if there's any of that hot soup left." said the CO as he left top's office.

SFC Handy said, "come with me, McCabe." so Randy and his plt sergeant went to see about soup. Randy later heard that there were words between the CO and the 1SG over top's not remembering where he sent people during an alert. The incident did not endear Randy with top.

Timmins was fond of the ville outside Osan AFB. He had discovered that there were lots more American girls stationed at Osan than at Humphreys. He had met one and they spent nearly every day B.A. had off together. B.A. had met Janice two months before Randy got his off-post privileges back. Randy and B.A. worked the same rotation schedule so about mid-January Randy went with to Osan.

The first thing Randy noticed about Janice was her rings. In Randy's world growing up, he had been taught that wasn't a line you crossed. When he got a chance he pointed that out to B.A. Brent told him to chill the fuck out. Janice's husband was stationed in Germany and they were living the "if you can't love the one you want, love the one you're with" lifestyle. Randy never did warm over much to Janice.

It was the second trip to Osan that Randy met Diane. Nearly as tall as he was, a few years older, blonde, busty and blue eyed. She was also nearly passing out drunk and appeared to be alone. What got Randy's attention was her slurred protests as 5 Korean guys were trying to get her out from her booth and out the nearby back door. They had managed to pull her out of the booth and start for the door when Randy intervened. He walked over to them and said "Hey babe, there you are, why'd you leave the group like that?

The blond turned and looked at him like she was confused and as Randy got closer one of the 5 stepped in front of Randy like he was going to stop him. Randy said, "Babe we even have the KMPs looking for you" at this the guy stopped trying to block Randy, two slipped out the back door and Randy reached the blond and got hold of her as she started to fall. The remaining three chattered a bit to each other and then they left as well. The KMPs in Korea are the Korean Military Police. At the time they were best known for beating confessions out of people and were really hard on locals who victimized American military personnel.

Randy half walked, half carried the blond towards the front door. "I don't know who you are but we need to get you out if here now"

The blond mumbled, "Diane, my name is Diane."

"Let's get you on post then Diane." as they hit the street in front of the bar.

"No, no post, my place. Gotta go to my place. Turn left there." pointing at the next street.

Diane directed Randy to a cinder block building several blocks away. They entered and Diane was digging for her keys in her jeans. When she got them out she couldn't get the right one in the lock. She handed them to Randy "here, you do it."

Randy leaned her on the wall and before he got the for open Diane slid to the floor. She was tipping sideways when Randy caught her. He got her up and into her rooms. There was a typical Korean raised platform bed, a recliner type chair, a dressing table, and mirror, what looked like a wall locker, a small countertop and sink and a range top. The second room was a spartan western style bathroom with cosmetics and such on every horizontal surface. The place looked lived in, definitely not dress right dress.

Randy put her on the bed, swung her legs up and covered her with a blanket. As he did so he checked her left hand, no rings. "I'll be going now," he said.

Diane said "no, stay. Stay with me." then she started snoring.

Randy grabbed a throw blanket that was half on the floor and sat in the recliner. What the hell he thought. It's late, B.A. And Janice slipped off hours ago and this beats going back to post in a cab. I'll stay for a couple hours till the busses start running and head back to Humphreys.

Randy had more to drink than he thought and he was tired. What was going to be a cat nap ended with his bring poked in the ribs with a stick while a pissed off woman said: "just who the fuck are you?"

Randy didn't wake up and react fast enough for her so she whacked him on the head with the stick. She was bringing the stick down a second time when Randy caught it saying "hey!! That fucking hurt! What the fuck are you doing?"

As they played tug of war over the stick Diane yelled "who the fuck are you and why are you in my place?

Randy's cobwebs cleared a bit and he said "I'm Specialist Randy McCabe. I saw 5 Korean guys trying to take you out the back door of a bar last night and I got you away from them. I was going to take you back on base but you insisted we come here. I was going to leave but you said stay so I did. I was going to leave after a short nap but I overslept."

"Well, you can go now Specialist Randy McCabe."

Randy unassed that ao pronto. He went to the rooms Janice kept in the ville, found B.A. And they headed back to Humphreys. Four days later found them back in the ville outside Osan AFB. It was about 6 pm when B.A. and Janice left Randy in a bar to go to her place. It was the second bar after they left him that Randy ran into Diane again. When she saw him she walked over from the group she was with and said "Randy, isn't it? I owe you an apology and my thanks for saving me a few days ago."

"Not a problem, ma'am. I would never leave someone in that kind of fix."

That was the start of a night of talking, drinking, flirting and finally, it ended at her place again. There wasn't much for sex, neither stayed conscious long enough for anything more penetrating than a french kiss.

In the morning both had hangovers from hell. The light hurt, the sound of the dripping faucet hurt, the air hurt, everything hurt. Neither was much for conversation. Hangovers like these are a fairly common side effect of drinking the local booze, JinRo Soju. About 40 proof with the added bonus of a mixture of additional chemicals and a significant amount of formaldehyde added as a preservative. You are literally drinking embalming fluid. Drink enough of it and you will see things, no might about that. The best cure for a Soju hangover is more Soju and that's what Randy and Diane sought out.

For the next 4 months, Every moment Randy could he spent in Osan, in a bar, or in Diane's place, and or in Diane. By the end of that time, Randy had cut back considerably on his drinking. He was more than beginning to have feelings for Diane and he thought she was on the same wavelength.

Randy was waiting in Diane's place when she came home. For the first time, he saw her in uniform. Randy had thought she was an NCO, she was sporting captains bars. She wasn't a lab tech, she was an RN. This made Randy very uncomfortable. Officers and lower enlisted don't mix socially, at all, ever. It will result in UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) actions if they do. In those actions its almost always the lower enlisted person who suffers the most.

Her rank wasn't the only surprise she had for Randy. On her left ring finger, she was wearing a wedding set. Randy had made his views on cheaters very clear to Diane early in their relationship. She looked at Randy sadly and said: "Randy we need to talk." Those words, coming from your relationship partner, are never good news.

Diane basically told Randy she had been deceiving him since that night in the bar when "he came to her rescue." That night she got drunk to work up the nerve to pick someone up. She had gotten word from her fighter pilot husband that he had found a playmate to fill his time off. They'd been married less than three years when he was assigned to Yokota AFB in Japan and her to Osan. They'd decided that physical separation would count as a marital separation. He intended to find someone to fill his time and she should too. The five locals were a bit much, so Randy stepping in filled the need nicely. Her last words were "we can't see each other anymore, he's being assigned here in a week. I'm sorry Randy."

Randy dropped his key on the counter and left without a word. He headed to the same bar he first saw her in got about half bagged and went to B.A. and Janice's place. Janice met him at the door, took one look at Randy and said: "she finally told you, didn't she?"

"You knew? You fucking knew? I thought we were friends Janice." About this time B.A. showed up.

"Randy, grow the fuck up. She was just another piece of ass"

"B.A. she was more to me and you fucking know it. I've told you what happened to Carol. You knew I was falling for her. I told you all about it. Did you guys have a good laugh about it? Your own laugh a minute fool right B.A.?"

Randy turned to leave and B.A. grabbed his arm. B.A. never saw it coming. The heel of Randy's left hand caught him under the chin, practically lifting him off his feet and laying him out on his back. Randy stayed long enough to see B.A. breathe and left to catch the last bus back to Humphreys.

There was a bus station about 3 kilometers from Humphreys itself. Randy got there just in time to watch the last bus pulling away. It was mid-April and drizzling rain. While not a long walk, it was a cold one. Soaking wet in 40-degree weather will do that. When Randy hit the ville he stopped at every bar along the way. By the time he hit the gate, he was staggering. Between the gate and his barracks was a distance of almost a half mile. The sidewalk there bordered on a deep binjo ditch, an open running sewer. One misstep and you could fall into the ditch. Randy misstepped.

The sides of the ditch were angled in such a way that standing up, toes at the wall you could reach forward and touch the wall with an outstretched arm. The very bottom was a sheer six-foot drop to slime. Randy fell all the way down. He tried to climb out four times and fell all the way back four times. Finally, he started wading in the now mid-calf slime slop towards his barracks area. Nearly at the field station gate area, the ditch was only five feet deep and it was here that Randy crawled out.

As he approached the barracks area the Charge of Quarters NCO was waiting for him with an inch and a half fire hose. He had Randy strip to just his jeans and he hosed him down. He tossed Randy a couple towels and a bar of issue yellow soap and sent him over to the other barracks for a shower. The hot shower cured the shivering, the harsh soap the smell. Randy thought he was going to get be in hot water, but the CQ just laughed at him and told him to go sleep it off.

For the rest of his time in Korea Randy didn't say ten words to B.A. Brent left Korea two months before Randy did for Ft. Ord in Washington state. B.A. finished his time in service there and went home to Phoenix AZ. He'd managed to put together enough cash to buy a convenience store, his dream of getting rich. Less than three months after buying the store he was robbed by a guy out of prison less than three weeks. The first thing the robber did when he entered the store was to shoot B.A. in the face with a sawed-off shotgun. B.A. was dead before he hit the wall behind him let alone the floor. Randy didn't find this out until nearly twenty five years later during a facebook messenger conversation with a mutual friend from his time in Korea, Janice. She had stayed in touch with B.A. until the robbery. She attended his funeral.

Jckpnsvg
Jckpnsvg
402 Followers
12