I Will Love You Forever Pt. 2 Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers

"Go home white boy." He hissed.

Harry stepped between Dewey and Saul and looked up at Dewey.

"I let you hurt my friend once, I ain't gonna let you do it agin."

"Harry..." Saul mumbled.

"No!" Harry exclaimed still looking at Dewey. "Now, if you wanna get to him, then you gots to move me."

Unbeknownst to Dewey, Harry and Saul, a small group of baggage carriers had moved closer so that they could hear what was being said.

"Why you helpin' him?" Dewey asked. "He let you put your cock in his white ass? Or maybe he lets you suck it."

"Say what you want." Harry said as he took another step closer to Dewey. "But you ain't touchin' him agin."

Dewey laughed and shoved Harry so hard that he flew backwards into Saul. He was about to shove him again when someone spoke up.

"Leave em' be."

Dewey turned around seeing the group that had been watching and listening for the first time.

"Who said that?" He demanded his voice filled with menace.

"I did." The same voice replied.

Dewey watched as a tall black man who was of mixed heritage stepped forward and walked toward him.

"I'll kick your half-breed ass too." Dewey snarled.

"Then you hafta kick mine too." Another voice piped up and stepped forward.

One by one the men in the group stepped forward and made a circle around Dewey, Saul and Harry.

"You might be able to take some of us." The light skinned man said, "But you can't take all of us. I suggest that you take your ass to your station and stay away from these boys."

Dewey started to say something but though better of it when the circle around him tightened. He gave Saul a scorching glare and then pushed his way out of the circle.

"What the fuck Saul?" Harry asked. "What are you doin? You can barely walk."

"Like you all I have a family to support." Saul mumbled.

"How you gonna carry luggage?" Harry asked.

"I'll manage." Saul replied. He turned to the group and addressed them. "Thank you."

"Watch you back white boy." The light skinned man said, "He ain't done with you."

****

Isadora's heart raced when the train made its first stop in Mississippi. In a few hours she would be home. She could already taste her mother's homemade biscuits smothered with butter and honey or one of her homemade jams. She couldn't wait to tell them about school and the friends that she made.

She and Noah hadn't talked of anything remotely personal for the last two days of the train ride. Instead, he drilled her on legal terminology and had her read passages from the law journals. Afterwards they would get into debates about the interpretation of the text.

Finally, the train was pulling into the station closet to Greenville. Isadora was so excited that Noah gave her a rarely seen smile.

"Mr. Whitman will be waiting for us." Noah said when Isadora asked him about transportation from the station to Greenville. "Isadora, I want to tell you something."

Isadora looked at him expectantly.

"When I first met you, you were reading one of Whitman's law books. I had a feeling about you. That's why I drilled you that day. After talking to Whitman about you, we decided to help you go to school. After you got to California, Bella said something to me. She said that she could see you arguing before the Supreme Court. I concur and I will do anything that I can to help you get there. You are an amazing young woman and I am pleased to have made your acquaintance."

Isadora was surprised. She had never considered herself special. She was driven to be sure, but special?

"I don't know what to say." She said after a few seconds. "I can only say thank you for helping me and that I'll do my best not to disappoint you. I'm sorry, but did you say we?"

"Yes." Noah replied. "Whitman is one of many who contribute to the education and future s of young people such as you. I trust that you will keep that bit of knowledge to yourself. Things would become very difficult for him if this were found out."

"What about Mrs. Whitman?" Isadora asked.

"She doesn't know." Noah replied.

"I understand." Isadora said. "Why are you telling me this?" she asked.

"It is my hope that when you are able that you will continue to help our people along. That is my hope for all that we help, but you are the most promising of any that we have helped. You will be the one to speak for us from a legal standpoint." Noah replied.

"You're putting a whole lot of faith in me." Isadora said. "I hope that it isn't misplaced."

"It isn't." Noah said as he leaned forward. "You Isadora Hughes are going to make a difference in this world."

He sat back and looked at her his gaze intent.

"I'll do my best." Isadora replied.

Two hours later, they were in Whitman's car heading towards Greenville.

"You look well." Whitman said to Isadora.

"Thank you sir and I mean for everything." Isadora replied.

"You're welcome." He replied with a smile. "I'm pleased with how well you're doing at school. Noah tells me that you want to add more classes to your curriculum."

"Yes sir. I want to complete my undergrad as quickly as I can." Isadora replied. "I also have a question for you."

"I'm listening." Whitman replied.

"Is it possible to go back and forth between and defense?"

"It is but you can run the risk of conflict of interests." Whitman replied. "It's best to choose a side and stick to it. But... you could on occasion take on a defense or prosecution case without too much trouble if the same individual wasn't involved."

"I thought as much." Isadora replied.

Whitman's answer confirmed her choice. She was going to be a prosecutor first. The decision reminded her of the names on the paper. She wondered where they were and hoped that she wouldn't run into them. Even as she thought it, she knew that it would happen. Greenville was a small place where everyone knew everyone.

She sighed heavily and forced the thought from her mind. She would deal with it when and if it happened. She closed her eyes and let the sound of the car engine lull her to sleep.

"We're here." Noah said waking her up.

Isadora sat up, rubbed her eyes and looked around into the darkness. Even in the dark she could tell that little had changed. A light tap of the car horn brought everyone out of the house. Isadora jumped out of the car and ran toward her family while Whitman and Noah unloaded her things.

"Thank ya Mister Whitman and Mister Jackson." Isadora's father Frank said. "We appreciates y'all."

"I'm happy to help." Mr. Whitman replied.

"Mama, I asked Mr. Jackson to come for Christmas dinner." Isadora said.

"There's always room for one more." Her mother replied. "Mr. Whitman you and the missus is welcome too."

"Thank you, that's very kind of you; but we already have plans." He replied.

"Then let me send a pie with you for the holiday." Isadora's mother insisted.

"Thank you... Mrs. Whitman enjoys your pies."

As they waited for the pie, Noah examined Isadora's family. He was looking that spark that Isadora possessed. He was looking for any spark that could be blown into a flame. So far, he had seen nothing, but then again; he was tired and it was dark.

"Here ya are." Isadora's mother said handing Whitman the pie.

"It's still warm, it ain't been out the oven but an hour." She said.

"It smells wonderful, thank you. Noah, are you ready to go?" Whitman asked.

"Yes." Noah replied. "What time shall I be here tomorrow?" he asked Isadora.

"Come anytime." She replied. "But we eat at four."

"I shall see you then." Noah replied with a slight bow.

Isadora watched the car pull off while her brothers gathered her luggage.

"You gonna stand out here all night?" her father asked. "We been holdin' supper."

Supper was loud and happy with everyone talking at once.

"So Izzy, do ya really pick grapefruit from a tree and eat it?" Her father asked.

"I sure do." Isadora replied. "In fact, I brought some back with me. Byron can you get that big bag? The one that you thought I put rocks in?"

The room went silent as Isadora unloaded the bag of its contents.

"These came from Lenny and Bella's trees in their back yard. I tried to pick them when they weren't quite ripe."

She passed the fruit around smiling at the expressions on their faces.

"Oh and mama, I even brought some lemons for fresh lemonade for dinner tomorrow."

The laughter resumed as Isadora asked for a knife and began to cut up the fruit. Later, when the dishes were done, they sat around the living room in a comfortable silence that was broken by Byron.

"We all proud of you Izzy." He said. "And we glad that you came home even if it for just a little while."

Isadora swallowed the lump in her throat. She loved her family as much as they loved her. She renewed the promise that she made to herself to take them away from Greenville as soon as possible.

"I'm glad to be home." She said softly. "I've missed all of you so much."

"We better hit the sack." Her mother said. "We need an early start in the mornin'."

***

Noah checked into one of the few hotels that allowed blacks. It wasn't much with its lumpy bed and musty sheets, but it was preferable to doing battle with Whitman's wife. When he checked in, he noticed the way the clerk eyed him and knew that he had jacked up the price of the room. Noah didn't argue with the man, he just paid for the week and went about his business.

When he got to his room, he locked the door and propped a chair up against it. Afterwards, he changed into his sleeping attire and went to look out of the window. He peered into the darkness taking in the shapes of the buildings. He hated Mississippi with a passion that he couldn't even begin to verbalize.

He reminded himself of the advice that he had given Isadora and took a deep breath. He stood peering out into the darkness for a long time before he lay down. Even then he couldn't sleep. His mind was on a certain young man who had just recently graduated from Morehouse College and was preparing for the ministry. He had a good feeling about him, his spark was already turning into a flame.

Noah woke up feeling refreshed although he hadn't slept much. He wanted an early start since he would have to walk to Isadora's house for dinner. He was also hoping to find something open so that he could contribute to the meal. He started to leave his room, but doubled back. He took the small valise from under the bed and looked inside of it. After a moment, he picked the valise up and left the room. He walked past the clerk at the desk without speaking and walked outside into the cold, brisk morning.

Taking that first breath of fresh air in the morning was always his favorite time of the day no matter where he was. As always, he stood for a moment enjoying the feel of the air on his face. He looked to his left and then to his right and then started off for the left. It was direction in which Isadora's family lived and if he was going to find anything open, it would be in that direction.

He walked for almost half a mile before he found a store open. It was owned by an older black man hoping to make a little extra money.

"Even the white folk come in here if they desperate." He said with a cackle. "What ya look-in' for?" he asked.

"I'll let you know when I find it." Noah replied as he wandered around the small store. He looked out of a window and saw a smoke house.

"Do you have any hams in there?" he asked.

"I got one that's ready." The man replied.

"How much are you asking for it?" Noah replied.

"It's a big one." The man said.

"How much?" Noah asked again.

"Six dollars." The man replied.

"I'll take it." Noah said as he set his valise down and took out his bill fold.

"Yes suh!" the man said excitedly.

It turned out that the man hadn't been exaggerating. The ham was huge and Noah had no idea of how he was going to carry it and the valise to Isadora's home. The man seeing his problem offered a solution.

"I ain't got a car, but I got an old bike with a cart hooked on the back. You welcome to it. Where you goin'?"

"I'm going to the Hughes'." Noah replied.

"Oh they ain't but two miles down the road." The man replied. "You in for a treat. Take the bike and drop it off tomorrow."

"I'll bring it back later tonight." Noah replied.

"Son, look here; the Klan boys don't take no holidays off. Now if I was you, I'd stay the night over there."

Noah hadn't thought about that and was glad that he brought the valise. He offered to pay the man for the use of the bike and cart, but the man turned him down.

"No suh, I wasn't goin nowhere anyhow."

A few minutes later, the cart was loaded and Noah was trying to remember the art of riding a bike. Fifteen minutes later, he was on his way.

***

"Somebody coming on a bike!" Byron yelled.

Isadora joined him on the porch squinting to see who was coming.

"That's Mr. Jackson." She said. "Where'd he get the bike?"

Noah rode up ringing the little bell on the handlebars. To Isadora he seemed years younger and there was a light in his eyes that she hadn't seen before. She could almost see him as a young man twenty to thirty years younger. It made her wonder what happened to him to take away the mischievous sparkle in his eyes.

"Woooo weeee!" Noah exclaimed as he jumped off the bike. "It's been a long time since I rode a bike."

"Whose bike is it?" Isadora asked.

"I stopped at the store about two miles down." Noah replied. "I bought a ham and I couldn't carry it and my valise so the owner offered me the use of his bike."

"That's Mister Humphries." Byron said.

"Yes well, there's a ham in the cart." Noah said. "Would you mind carrying it in?"

"Yes suh." Byron replied.

"Isadora, is there a place for me to put my valise?" Noah asked.

"There's a cabinet in my room. No one will bother it." Isadora replied.

"I'm not worried about that." Noah replied as he handed the bag to her.

"Isadora! Where your manners?" Her mother called out. "Mr. Jackson come on in and makes yourself at home."

The small house already smelled of roasting meat and baking bread. Noah's stomach growled in anticipation. As if she heard his stomach roar, Isadora came into the living room with a plate containing several slices of bread slathered with butter and honey.

"It's going to be a while until supper." She said. "This should hold you."

"Thank you." Noah said gratefully accepting the bread.

"They're playing horseshoes out in back if you want to join them." Isadora said.

"I think I'll do that." Noah replied with a smile.

After Isadora went back to the kitchen, Noah took a bite of the hot bread and closed his eyes. The odors coming from the kitchen and the sounds coming from the outside took him back to a much happier time in his life. He could even hear Angela, his wife scolding someone for snitching a piece of bread. A solitary tear ran down his cheek at the memory.

He jarred himself from the memory, wiped his face and finished the bread. He carried the plate to the kitchen, thanked Isadora and her mother and went outside where a loud game of horseshoes was in progress.

"I didn't cook the ham." Isadora's mother said as they sat the table, "But I'll slice some for breakfast... You is stayin' ain't ya?"

"I don't want to impose..."

"It isn't safe." Isadora broke in. "Mama was telling me that just last week two black boys were found hanging. The word is that they were out checking their traps and they lost track of time."

"I thank you for your kindness." Noah said respectfully.

"Taint no problem." Byron said. "Like mama says, there's always room for one more. You can bunk with me."

"Make sure you let him sleep by the window." Isadora teased.

A burst of laughter filled the small house and the stories about Isadora's childhood began. That night, Noah slept peacefully. In the morning, he would pull Byron aside and talk to him, he had seen something. Isadora's other brother and his wife would have to stay put. It wasn't that Noah thought them stupid or unworthy, but he had to be selective in where he put the money. He hoped that in time, that an education would be available to everyone, but for now...

As he closed his eyes, he thought about the white boy that he had seen at church and then again when he had gone to the defense of a black co-worker. Until he saw that, he hadn't entertained the idea of providing an education for a white person. But... he had seen that spark. It was as bright as the one that he had seen in Isadora.

Just as Noah was almost asleep, Byron let out a sound and then an odor that made his eyes water. Noah now understood why Byron had insisted that he sleep by the window. Noah let out a soft chuckle and went to sleep.

*****

The day after Christmas, Patricia, Abby and Hattie helped Hana put in the final stitches of her wedding kimono. It was beautiful in its simplicity.

"Hana this is breathtaking." Abby said softly. "Thank you for allowing me to put in a few stitches."

"It wouldn't be complete if I did not have you and the others do this." Hana replied. "It is because of you that this is happening."

After the dress was finished, Hana served tea. The first one that she served was Patricia. She handed her the tea cup with a bow.

"Thank you daughter." She said softly.

"I am honored to be your daughter." Patricia said with a bow of her head.

Hana went to each woman and thanked them before sitting down to join them. The women sipped their tea each of them thinking about how they had come together.

"So are you ready?" Hattie asked.

Patricia listened to her mother talk. The speech of old was about gone only reappearing when she was excited. Both of her parents were now reading at high school level thanks to Kenji's gentle teaching.

"I am ready and very happy." Hana replied with a smile.

"Have you heard back from Nick's family?" Patricia asked.

"No." Hana replied. "Nick is hoping that they will not come, but a meeting is inevitable. I would rather meet them and be done with it even it is at the wedding."

"Maybe they'll behave." Abby said. "Where will they stay?" Abby asked.

"Nick will pay for a hotel." Hana replied. "He does not want them here."

"There's room at my house." Abby said.

"And at ours." Patricia chimed in. "But I would bet that they wouldn't want to stay with us."

"Thank you for your kind offers." Hana said. "I will let Nick know."

"I talked to Sally this morning." Patricia said. "She's hoping that the doctor will let her out of bed to come to the wedding. I told her that we would take lots of pictures and make sure that she got a piece of cake."

The women chatted until it was time to go home and make dinner. Abby was going to have dinner with Patricia, Kenji and the children. It had been a long time since she had spent an evening with them and she had something that she needed to talk to them about.

After dinner was over and the kitchen cleaned, Abby read to the children. When they were in bed, she broached the subject that she had been thinking about for weeks.

"Before I say anything," Abby said. "I'm fine. I feel wonderful so don't panic."

Kenji and Patricia looked at each other worriedly.

"Will you stop that?" Abby said curtly. "I'm fine. I just want you to know a few things. In case anything should happen to me, my attorney has papers for you. Since I consider you my only family, everything that I have goes to you. This house is already in your name but I added it to the list anyway. The other thing is this, if something happens and I can't make my own decisions; I want you to let me go."

"Abby..." Patricia said.

"Now listen to me." Abby said. "I've had one hell of a life and lord willing; I'll be around for a few more years. But if that doesn't happen, I just want to be kept comfortable. It's all in the papers. I know that it you take me to the hospital they'll do whatever they have to do regardless of my wishes. That's why I want to die at home surrounded by my family. Having said that, if whatever is wrong with me is fixable; then by all means fix it."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers