I Will Love You Forever Pt. 2 Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers

"I'll talk to her about it," Patricia said. "I can't wait to see them! We'll have to plan a welcome home party for them."

"They would enjoy that-Kirei meet me for lunch tomorrow."

"Alright... what's going on?"

"Nothing- it will just make the week go by faster."

"I'll be there," Patricia replied. She was glad for the invitation. She hoped to see Mai and say a few things to her.

After lunch, Kenji kissed Patricia and Marie goodbye. He had already said his goodbyes to Niko before he went to school.

"Remind your father that Paul is expecting him for a checkup tomorrow morning."

"He knows and he's fighting it," Patricia replied, "but mom will make sure that he goes."

"Good- I will see you tomorrow," Kenji said kissing her again. "I love you."

****

Mai started to pack her bags and then remembered that her father would take her to the hospital in the morning. In a fit of anger, she threw the bag back into the closet and got dressed. She hadn't spoken to Ani or her father since before Christmas and the only one that it really seemed to bother was Ani. It bothered Jiro only because Ani was unhappy. There was a time when Mai thought that she and Jiro were friends but she could now see that she had been wrong. Jiro refused to look at her and only spoke to her when necessary. Instead of making her feel worse, it only fueled her anger.

She was supposed to be returning to the hospital but thanks to her father, she was no longer on the night rotation. Her next night rotation would happen while Kenji was on days which meant that there was still a chance that their paths might cross. The only way that it wouldn't happen was if her father somehow interfered. She didn't put it past him-after all; he did manage to get her rotation changed.

She undressed and put on her pajamas- she wasn't going to eat dinner. She had no desire to pretend to respect the people that she lived with. She sat on the bed prepared to lay down when she heard her father's voice at her door.

"Get up... dinner is waiting."

"Please excuse me, I am not feeling well," Mai said.

"Now," her father said. "We have plans to make."

She knew what those plans were- her forced marriage to Shotaro. He was already on the train and would arrive in a few days. She held a little glimmer of hope that he would refuse to marry her, but she knew that it wouldn't happen. He wouldn't have left Boston if that was the case. She wondered what he told the woman that he was in love with. Surprisingly, she felt for her. It had to be as difficult to lose someone to tradition as it was to be forced upon someone because of it. Her anger at Shotaro rose. How could he do this to the unnamed woman if he loved her? Kenji's name popped into her mind.

"Mai-now," her father said through the door. He didn't yell, but his tone told her that he expected obedience. A flicker of defiance rose and then quickly died. She wasn't gone to win this round-she wasn't even going to win the war.

There had to be a way out.

*****

Hiroshi couldn't say when he started feeling not quite right. He was always tired even though he slept well. At first he thought that it was because he had been working longer hours since he opened a second nursery. Now he wasn't so sure. He heard Dai in the kitchen talking with Hiro-in retrospect he wished that he hadn't named his son after his deceased son, but it was too late to change it.

He rolled out of bed wishing that he could sleep more, but he had too many things to do. Besides, it would only worry Dai who was already telling him that he needed to slow down. He was finally coming to the conclusion that she was right. There was no need for him to continue to work so hard. The house was paid for as were the businesses. Their financial future was secure. There was even cash set aside in case there was a repeat of history.

As he dressed for the day, Hiroshi thought about Kenji and felt a pang of regret. It was more than that; he felt shame at his actions. Kenji and Patricia had forgiven him but he still felt guilty. His guilt extended to the way that he had treated Hana while they were married and her arrest because of his activities. There was nothing that he could do to change the past, but he could do something about the future.

Hiroshi left the bedroom and went into his office which was located down the hall from their bedroom and next to Hiro's. Dai encouraged him to take one of the downstairs rooms but he wanted to be close to Hiro's room. It was silly he knew, but in his mind he would be there to protect Hiro in a way that he had never really protected Kenji. He closed the door behind him and called his attorney. By the end of the phone call, he felt much better. The guilt wasn't gone, but he felt better.

****

Kenji went the to the conference room and sat down. One by one the other members of his group trickled in. He looked at his watch when he realized that Mai hadn't come in yet. It wasn't like her to be late. Dr. Vincente came in a few minutes after seven and began the pre-round conference.

"Before we begin, I want to inform you that one of our group-Dr. Kabata won't be rejoining us. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but she will be going to a day rotation..."

Kenji breathed a sigh of relief. The chances of running into Mai had just significantly decreased- at least for the time being. There was always the possibility that they would have a day rotation together but he would deal with it when and if it happened.

After the conference, Dr. Vincente pulled Kenji aside.

"Do you know what's going on with Dr. Kabata?"

"No I don't," Kenji politely replied. "I haven't seen her since Christmas eve."

"Alright, I also wanted to discuss something else with you. Have you decided on what area of medicine you would like to practice?"

Kenji told Dr. Vincente about his and Patricia's plans.

"Have you ever considered surgery?" Dr. Vincente asked.

"I had given it some thought," Kenji admitted, "but I do not feel led in that direction. I enjoy family practice."

"I can see that and you're very good at it, but does it present enough of a challenge for you? Let me be frank-you have one of the finest minds that I've ever seen. When we round, I see how you examine the equipment and wonder how it could be made better. When we discuss a surgical patient, I can see the wheels turning. You try to figure out how to simplify the surgery and yet arrive at the same results. That, Dr. Takeda is the mind of a surgeon. I happen to know that Dr. Coleman will be looking for a resident to study under him. I would like to recommend you."

"I... I am honored," Kenji said with a bow.

"Will you at least think about it?" Dr. Vincente asked. "It means extra time added to your residency so discuss it with your wife and let me know."

"How much time do I have in which to decide?"

"Six weeks, but the sooner I know, the better."

Kenji's mind raced. What to do? He had been set on being finished in a year and a half but if he did this it would add another year or two. He wasn't concerned about what Patricia would say-he already knew. He took a deep breath and calmed. He didn't have to make a decision now, he had time and he wouldn't make a decision without talking to Patricia first.

"Hey Kenji!" Jared, one of the residents in his group called. "Over here!"

Kenji walked over to the table carrying the lunch that Patricia had packed for him and sat down.

"So what kind of hot water are you in?" Jared asked as he took a bite of his sandwich.

"Excuse me?"

"Vincente-what did you do?"

"Nothing... he was just offering a piece of wisdom," Kenji replied. "Why would you think that there was a problem?"

"Well, historically anyone who has a private audience with 'his greatness' doesn't come out of it unscathed. So...if you're not in deep shit then you're in for something good. Care to share?"

"No," Kenji replied. He wasn't about to talk about his conversation with Vincente with anyone but Patricia.

"Okay... so what's going on with Mai? Where is she?" Jared asked.

"I don't know," Kenji replied.

"Really? I thought you two were two birds on the same tree branch."

"Dr. Kabata and I are colleagues only," Kenji said firmly. "We do not socialize in or outside of the hospital. Does that answer your question?"

"Geez, relax," Jared said holding his hands up in surrender. "I was only asking."

"Please excuse me," Kenji said as he stood up.

"Hey I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you," Jared said.

"Your apology is accepted-I need to call my wife and say goodnight to my children."

****

Mai was miserable and angry. Ani had tried to talk to her again in spite of being told to go away. Finally Mai had let her in so that she could have a moment's peace.

"Say what you must and then leave," Mai said. "I have to be up early."

Ani sighed and sat on the bed. She understood Mai's anger although she didn't agree with it.

"I know that you are angry with us and I understand but Mai, you have to understand our position too. I have seen this before-not to this extent because you always came to your senses. Contrary to what you believe, father loves you and only wants the best for you."

"You keep saying that," Mai said, "but I don't believe it. I will concede that you and he are right concerning Kenji..."

"Kenji?" Ani broke in. "Has he given you permission to be so informal with his name? From what you've told me your interaction has been primarily on a professional basis. Has something changed?"

Mai kicked herself; she had slipped up again but recovered.

"You did not allow me to complete his name. As I was saying you and father are right concerning Kenjiro Takeda. I still disagree about this marriage to Shotaro. Ani, how would you have felt if Jiro loved another when he married you? How would you feel if he only smiled when he thought about her?"

"As I said, I understand..."

"How could you?" Mai asked angrily. "How could you possibly understand? You have always been the good daughter! You do as he and tradition says without question. You have never aspired to be anything more than someone's wife and mother nor have you ever wanted to be free to make your own choices. It is much easier to let someone else decide for you. You are fortunate in that you and Jiro love each other. Shotaro and I do not care for each other nor will we ever care. In spite of that, we will be the dutiful children and marry as tradition and our families say we must. We will grow old together and at the best come to tolerate each other. At worst-we will hate each other..."

"Then walk away," Ani said quietly. "You say that you have no choice, but you do-walk away and find your way alone. As to my choices, to some degree you are right. It is easier to have someone make decisions for you and yes, all I ever wanted to be was a wife and mother. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what one wants and chooses. You are also right in saying that I don't understand how you must feel but that doesn't make what you are doing right. Have you thought about them? Have you given thought to what will become of his children if you do manage to take him away from his wife?"

Mai's silence was Ani's answer.

"Mai-I think that it is best that you marry Shotaro. You can choose to love him as I have chosen to love Jiro. If you will allow it, you can be happy but as long as you cling to this unreasonable idea of you and Kenjiro Takeda that happiness will not happen. You already have a man to woo away from another-Shotaro."

Mai had no response other than to kick Ani out of her room. After Ani was gone, Mai locked the door and didn't come out until it was time for dinner which had been an uncomfortable affair. She listened while her father talked/dictated what was going to happen with her life. She silently listened without offering any resistance-it would have been pointless. By the end of the meal, the wedding would be planned with one concession-she and Shotaro would live in a small apartment near the hospital since they would both be working there.

She understood what was happening. Her father conceded to the apartment because of Shotaro and for no other reason. It was probably something that Shotaro had insisted on. She was getting one prison in exchange for another.

"I have already located an apartment for you and Shotaro. The rent has been paid for a year in advance. After that, you will join Ani, Jiro and I in a home that I will purchase..."

Mai stopped listening. It didn't matter. When the time came she would do as she was told with the exception of one thing. She wouldn't give up her dream about Kenji. It didn't matter that it was unreasonable nor did it matter that he loved his wife and children and wouldn't leave them. He was her secret fantasy. In this fantasy there was no wife and children- there would only be them. It wouldn't be Shotaro that she was marrying in a little over a week-it would be Kenji...

"Mai!"

"Yes father?"

"Did you not hear me?"

"Yes father."

Her father continued to talk-making demands that Mai absently agreed to. After dinner she went to her room, closed the door and lay on the bed fully clothed. She had no more fight-for now.

****

Shotaro smiled at the woman lying next to him on the small cot on the train. He couldn't believe it when she said that she would come with him even after he explained what was happening. The woman, whose belly was only just beginning to swell, smiled back at him and took his hand in hers.

"It's going to be fine-I promise."

"This is not fair to you or our child," Shotaro said softly. "This is not what I wanted for us."

"I know that, but Shotaro; it isn't fair to her either."

"No... you are right, it isn't, but it is hard to go against what you have been raised to believe."

"But yet here you are with me," the soft voice replied. "You've already gone against what you were taught."

Shotaro hesitated. He hadn't thought about it in that light. Sharon had started out as a distraction- a way to settle his curiosity but then the unexpected had happened. He fell in love with her. No one including his friends knew about her-they couldn't. Word would get back to his family and he wasn't ready for that. The plan had been to finish his residency, get a job someplace other than Boston and then break the engagement to Mai. He thought that he had another year at least to put things into place.

The change in the wedding date had come as a complete surprise to him. Now it had been moved up yet again. He had gone into a panic until Sharon calmed him telling him that it would work out. On the bright side, the job at UCLA was a good thing. He hadn't planned on applying there, but was now glad that he did. What he hadn't told anyone with the exception of Sharon was that he had worked out a deal with UCLA. He would finish his residency there if they agreed to put him in a two bedroom apartment that was close to the hospital. Much to his surprise, they had agreed. He quickly finished up any business that he was doing for Mai's father and began to make plans for moving. He had already shipped most of his things and then Sharon's when she agreed to go with him.

Now he had a decision to make. The pregnancy had changed things-for the better he decided. When they boarded the train, he had every intention of marrying Mai but the closer to California they got, the less certain he became-until now. He could not and would not marry Mai. He wasn't going to deny his child a father and its mother a husband.

"What is it?" Sharon asked.

"I am not going to marry Mai," he replied. "I will not dishonor you, our child or her by marrying her. I will not have you and our child remain a secret as if I am ashamed of you."

"Your family..."

"Will be furious and will more than likely disown me but I have you and I have our child. I also have a means of supporting you. I should have broken the engagement a long time ago."

"Are you sure about this?" Sharon asked.

"I am sure," Shotaro replied as he experienced his own sense of relief.

Sharon closed her eyes in relief and said a silent prayer of thanks. She had known that Shotaro was agonizing over what to do. She knew what she wanted him to do, but felt that she couldn't say anything. If he wanted to break the engagement to the other woman, he had to be the one to decide with no input from her.

When he told her that the wedding date had been moved up her heart sank. It had been him that told her that they still had time to figure things out. When he told her that the wedding date had been changed once again, she had been the one to calm him by telling him that for better or worse; she wasn't going anywhere.

When they left Boston, she hadn't told anyone that she was leaving. Her friends and family didn't know about Shotaro although they suspected that she was seeing someone. She hated Boston with a passion. She hated the accents and the cold winters. If she never went back, it would be too soon. She was making plans to leave when she met Shotaro. She knew that she was an object of curiosity for him, but then she was just as curious about him. She had never been with a Japanese man before and it intrigued her. It wasn't long before they felt more than curiosity about each other. They proceeded slowly and Shotaro, to his credit had been upfront with her. Now they were having a baby and were on their way to the west coast.

She snuggled closer when Shotaro kissed her forehead and touched her stomach. She didn't want to talk about the other woman, but they had to.

"When will you talk to them?" she asked.

"As soon as we arrive and you are settled," Shotaro replied. "Once that is done we will marry. Sharon- do you not want to contact your family? They must be worried."

"Trust me when I say that they aren't," Sharon replied. She wanted to talk about them even less than she did Mai. Shotaro had been her one bright spot in her otherwise sad, dreary and often lonely life. Her main reason for not talking about him was that she didn't want to share him. No matter what was happening at home, there was always him. If she told them about him, they would find a way to spoil it for her like they did everything else. She felt safe with him. She felt loved and would take him any way that she could.

Shotaro let the subject of her family drop. He knew it was a very unpleasant topic for her and she had told him enough that he understood why she wanted to leave.

"I think," Sharon said, "that she will be relieved."

"Yes, of that I am certain," Shotaro replied. "It is her father who will be the problem."

"Maybe not," Sharon replied.

Shotaro could only hope that she was right although he doubted it. He knew Mai's father well.

"Get some rest now," Shotaro urged. "The drama will begin soon enough."

****

Mai stood at the front door and waited for her father to take her to the hospital. She was exhausted emotionally and physically and for once hoped that she wouldn't run into Kenji. It had nothing to do with the bags under her eyes but she didn't think that she could face his cool indifference to her.

Her father came out of his room, gave her a curt bow before putting on his hat. She saw Ani peeking at her and ignored her. Ani was now the enemy. Neither Mai nor her father spoke as he drove her to the hospital. There was nothing to say-he had made his decision. As soon as he pulled up in front of the hospital, Mai jumped out of the car and ran inside. She went to the conference room hoping that it would be empty. But it wasn't. Vera was sipping on a cup of coffee while she looked at her notes.

Mai sighed. Vera was just as bad as Ani and her father were if not worse.

"Good morning!" Vera said looking up. "I heard that you were off of the night rotation. What happened?"

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers