Idle Hands Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literoticaยฎ experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Moon shook his head. "We'll may never know for certain โ€“ the computers were destroyed. Balder hasn't had any luck in finding a source of the tip. As for Skylar..." He shrugged. "He just says he found it on a Reddit. But if you want my guess?" He pursed his lips. "After who knows how long underwater, being brought back to life by DuBois and his team, maybe that chunk of Balder just wanted it to end." He shrugged.

The others nodded, looking thoughtful.

"And what about the trooper who saved the Earth from an alien invasion?" President Auali asked.

Moon Two looked grim.

###

The doctor standing between Xee and the door held up his hands. "I just want you to know-"

"She's my friend!" Xee said.

"Yeah!" Skylar pitched in.

The two of them had traveled along the coast for two days โ€“ hitchhiking and getting on busses. Neither had much money left. With the Cthulu destroyed โ€“ and the insurance claim got entirely fucked up by Section 6 declaring the whole chain of events leading to the Cthulu being blown up being classified and need to know โ€“ it was either walking or sitting around in New Miami and getting drunk. The hospital that Dey had been put in was harder to find still.

Devil Troops didn't tend to end up in hospitals for long stays. Usually, they were either dead, or their injuries were easily patched. And the government didn't want people to know about the Troops who had been put in a hospital for a long time. But cajoling, asking, googling and walking around under the punishing sun of Virginia had finally brought the two aliens to the Harrisonburg VA. The interior of the hospital smelled and looked like an antiseptic glove.

"-I know she's your friend," the doctor said, his voice soft. "But she's also catatonic. This kind of damage has only happened to Devil Troopers who have been hit by hard radiation and survived. Even they have some ghosts." He shook his head. "Hard radiation can scramble an AI badly. It's like having a family member hit with dementia." He sighed. "But this? This is different. There's not even a shadow of Loki inside of her. She's..."

"Dey is the toughest girl I know," Xee said, her voice firm, her emoticon confident. >:). "She can handle anything."

"Sometimes..." the doctor sighed. "Sometimes, strength isn't enough."

The door opened. Xee stepped into the room and Skylar thumped in behind her. The two of them stood in the doorway, looking around the room curiously. Xee noticed that it was utterly barren, save for a television that was showing some news feed about a wildfire. Dey wasn't looking at it. Dey wasn't looking at anything. She was curled up on the bed, her head tucked against her knees, her hair spilling around her shoulders. She looked as if she hadn't moved โ€“ the doctor stepped in after the two others and started to check Dey's body over, shifting her by main force onto her other side.

Dey didn't respond to the movement. She just lay there โ€“ her eyes looking through Xee's belly.

"Dey?" Xee asked.

No response.

Skylar sat down on a chair beside the bed. His tentacle reached out, tentatively. He touched Dey's shoulder. Dey didn't move. Didn't even flinch. The doctor sighed quietly.

"I'll be outside," he said. "When you need to talk."

He stepped out.

The two aliens sat beside Dey. Xee was silent for a long time. Then she reached out and put her hand on Dey's hand. "I'm sorry," she whispered, her voice thick. "I...I'm...I'm useless, aren't I?" She sniffed, her emoticon showing her emotions clearer than it would be on any human's face.

;-;

Skylar squeezed Xee's shoulder.

"We'll be here for her," he said, his voice firm. "Until she gets better."

"Yeah!" Xee said, nodding. Then she waved her hand โ€“ an update request was popping up on her HUD. She scowled behind her faceplate. Her suit's programming didn't need updates often. Then she blinked and read the text again, more closely this time.

It wasn't an update request for her suit.

It was an update request...from her suit.

Xee looked down at where her hand was touching Dey's. Dey's fingertips each had a thin, grid-like geometric pattern on them. Ways to interface with technology. Her fingertips and Dey's brushed together and Xee gasped, then stood.

"Yes!" she said.

"What?" Skylar asked.

The update went through.

Never before had Xee ever been quite so tense about watching a bar fill.

###

Nothingness.

Not accurate, that term. There were blobs of color and light and sound. But there was no reason to any of it. There was nothing about those blobs that mattered โ€“ not now. Dey lay on the bed and watched nothingness, her mind consumed by a single, omnipresent fact. It was a fact that stuck in her mind like a tolling bell, like a crushing bulldozer.

Loki was gone.

Not just gone. He was dead.

Loki was dead. Her Loki. Where his presence had been, there was...

For a moment, her fingers tingled. Then buzzed. She remembered when, once, the world around her seemed intrusive enough to get her to move away from the source of what was disturbing her. But this buzzing came from inside of her head.

Maybe I'm about to die?

A HUD window popped up before her eyes. It showed a filling bar and the words: Update Restore.

Dey didn't move. She kept looking at the words. They didn't mean much, now did they? Nothing meant much. But as she watched, the bar reached the end of the line and a soft chime sounded. Buzzing tingling started along her fingers and a series of images flashed before her eyes. Trained responses flickered through Dey's thoughts. She had been drilled in recognition of those shapes. Implanted grapnel. K9 battery. DV emitters. Then the images faded away and she felt something bloom inside of her. It was a warmth and a presence. Her eyes brimmed with tears and she saw up, unable to close her eyes. She looked through the blur that the world had became.

Where the hell are we? Loki asked, sounding deeply confused. The last-

Dey's command was immediate and bypassed words. Loki's physical body simulated itself before her and she flung her arms around him, squeezing him so tightly that even a computer program had to wheeze. Her hand felt like it had glanced off something โ€“ but she didn't particularly care. She was too busy holding Loki and rubbing Loki and being with Loki. She fell to her side, nuzzling his neck and breathing in his smell. More, she felt him inside her body, filling a hole that she hadn't even known existed until he had been torn from her.

"Loki," she whispered.

Okay, what the fuck is going on?

"Oh!"

Xee sat up from the floor. Dey actually saw her now โ€“ she looked like someone had whacked her in the face. Her emoticon showed no sign of anger or distress. Instead it was just a huge, beaming :D.

"I did it!" Xee said. "I saved the day again! My suit โ€“ the...when Loki interfaced with my suit, my computer automatically backed him up!" She sprang to her feet, clapping her hands. "Yes! Yes! I saved the day!"

I guess she did... Loki sounded bemused. So, uh...where the fuck are we and what the fuck is going on?

Dey laughed and laid back. She caressed Loki, filling him in while Xee ran off to get the doctor. The doctor came in and started to check her over โ€“ using a scanner that she barely noticed to get some magnetic resonant images of her brain. She ignored it, closing her eyes as her mental words explained the escape โ€“ the way they had stopped DuBois.

And Kuz? Xee asked.

Dey blinked. "Where is my...where's Kuz?"

"Who?" the doctor asked.

Dey scowled, sitting up. Her hand went to her hair, brushing it slowly back as she spoke with more and more certainty โ€“ her throat felt raw from emotion. But she still managed to sound like herself as she said. "The seven foot tall walking dolphin with carbon nanofiber bones who thinks he's my husband."

"Oh..." The doctor coughed. "Well, uh, about him-"

###

"Wife!" Kuz said, grabbing the bars of the county jail cell. Two extremely nervous looking sheriffs stood next to the cell, holding the biggest guns that their department had. Thanks to the slow demilitarization of the police in the 2050s, that was basically the Shockpod equivalent of airsoft guns.

Dey put her hands on her hips, in mock outrage. "My husband? In the drunk tank?"

"This is your husband, ma'am?' one of the sheriffs asked.

Dey shook her head, then held up her hand. The bars bent outwards with a squeal of twisting metal as a warp field expanded between them. Loki laughed as Dey stepped through and the sheriffs went running for cover โ€“ clearly having no idea how to handle what they were dealing with. Kuz beamed as Dey put her hand on his chest and shoved him onto his back. He landed on the cot in the cell with a squeal of complaining metal.

We're going to get into trouble for this, you know?

[I don't care,] Dey said โ€“ her feet ached from walking straight from the hospital to the jail cell. But shoes hadn't seemed particularly important. Her hand grabbed the white shirt that the hospital had put her in and tore it off. The shreds hit the ground as Kuz's hands cupped her breasts and she leaned forward to kiss him โ€“ and to feel Loki squeezing her ass and grinding his cock against her.

Standing outside of the jail, Skylar and Xee both were showing embarrassment in their own special ways. The sheriffs had joined them in crouching beside the door as the sound of Dey's pleasure rang from the cell, echoing out into the street of sleepy Harrisonburg. A woman walking her young son down the street reached down to cover his ears.

"What do we do, sir?" The younger sheriff asked.

A shadow fell over the two of them.

"Not a thing, officers," Major Moon Two said, tucking his reflective sunglasses into the front pocket of his dress uniform as the autocar he had arrived in purred away to find another passenger who needed to be driven around. Major Moon Two was never the most expressive man โ€“ but today, he had a huge smile on his face.

"But-"

"Captain Gallagher deserves a vacation from her vacation," Moon Two said, before reaching forward, taking hold of the door into the jail, and closing it shut โ€“ on the sound of orgasms and, from the other inmates...

Cheering.

THE END

Dey and Loki shall return in...

THE DEEP BLUE SEA