I'm Not Who I Used to Be Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

~~~~~~

The rest of the meet-and-greet went well not to mention that the mayor of New York, who at that time, was His Honor, Mr. Rudy Giuliani, and his wife Judith, were both there to congratulate Odyssey on their success. I knew that my father had attended Law School in New Haven with him, as I heard him speak of Mr. Giuliani several times over the past few years. However, after meeting him, I had to say that Mr. Giuliani and his wife were two of the kindest people that I'd ever met, and at my urging, Michael signed and personalized a copy of Odyssey's debut album for them to take home with them that night.

Rudy asked me to send his esteem regards to my father, and Judith was a very kind and gracious lady whom I made a point of befriending on a more personal level. And when she asked, I didn't hesitate to tell her, in detail, about the way that Michael and I met and eventually married. Of course she thought it was the most romantic story she'd ever heard. And after we exchanged contact information, she assured me that she was going to have me over to their house for lunch while Michael and the rest of the band took care of their business while we were in town...

~~~~~~

ME

As the meet-and-greet came to an end, I asked the girls if I could give them a ride home that night; and it broke my heart when Karlie, who was the more outspoken of the two, told me that her and her sister lived at St. John's Orphanage there in New York, about thirty minutes north of the city, and that there was also a social worker waiting outside to take them back. That was when I was thankful that Mr. Giuliani, being the kind soul he is, immediately agreed to help me when I told him what I wanted to do, taking care of my request with a simple phone call...

~~~~~~

After everything was taken care of, I called the Waldorf Astoria, where we were staying while we were going to be in town, and had them move mine and Sarah's belongings to a larger suite that had an additional bedroom.

Then I smiled at the twins and asked them, "If I told you that I've arranged it so that you guys could hang out with me and Sarah for a while, would you like to come?" Of course both of their pretty little faces lit up like a Christmas tree because of the fact that they were so happy, as they quickly and readily agreed. Besides, it was summer and that meant that there was no school, so; away we went...

~~~~~~

It was all I could do to keep from crying my eyes out when I saw how excited the girls were to be riding in a limousine for the first time. I knew that Sarah could feel the same thing I was feeling because of how she reached over and tightly took my hand into hers as we watched the twins practically bouncing off the walls with excitement as they rode with us to the hotel...

~~~~~~

It was rather late when we arrived at the hotel, but because of what a kind person he was, I politely asked the night manager to open the gift shop so that Sarah could buy the girls some pajama's, slippers and robes, which, of course he had no problem whatsoever with doing.

While Sarah was shopping for the girls, I escorted them up to the new and larger suite, and you would've thought they were going to pass out from the way they reacted at the suite's appearance.

"Oh, wow," Karlie gasped, "Are you rich, Michael?"

"What's wrong with you, Karlie?" Kerrie scolded her sister, "You know better than to ask someone something like that."

"I'm sorry, Michael," Karlie sheepishly replied, her head down, "I didn't mean to be so nosy."

"I know that, sweetheart, and it's okay," I warmly replied, getting down on one knee and taking her soft little hand, "I'm not rich, but because me and the other members of Odyssey worked so hard to put our album out, we made a lot of money doing it. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir," she smiled, lighting up the whole room in the process, "The music industry pays big bucks...me and Kerrie have been studying about it in school."

"Is that right?" I grinned, "And do either one of you sing or play?"

"Kerrie plays the guitar," she excitedly told me, "And I play the piano, but nowhere near as good as you do...oh, and we both like to sing, too."

"That comes with practice, sweetie," I smiled, "If you two keep after it and practice at least twice a day, you'll start seeing and hearing the fruits of your labor in no time."

"We try," Kerrie quietly said, "But Sister Agnes only lets us in the music room for an hour each day, and then not at all during the summer."

"Can I ask you both a question?" I said, as they nodded their heads, "How long have you been living at Saint John's?"

"For as far back as we can remember," Karlie quietly replied.

"Our parents were killed in a car accident when we were both babies," Kerrie almost sadly informed me, however, before she could elaborate any further, I heard a stomach growling from one of the two, I didn't know which.

"Are you girls hungry?" I grinned, "I don't know about you, but every time I get done playing, I'm always starving. So; why don't I call room service and order us all something to eat as soon as Sarah gets back? How would that be?"

"Oh, yes, please," they both again simultaneously replied, wearing smiles so big that their faces almost disappeared...

~~~~~~

Sarah arrived back to the suite a few moments later, accompanied by a bellman that was pushing a cart with four big shopping bags full of God only knows what. And by the look on her beautiful face, I could see the excited little girl in her that she once was clearly boiling to the surface of her precious personality.

"Hi baby," I smiled, kissing her on the cheek after tipping the bellman, "Whatcha been up to?"

"Not a whole lot," she mischievously giggled, winking at Kerrie and Karlie, "I got a couple of things for our new friends that I thought they might like."

"That's nice" I knowingly grinned, "Why don't you take them back to their room while I order us all something to eat? Is there anything you girls would like me to order while you're in the back with Sarah?"

"I like roast a beef and cheese sandwich on wheat bread," Kerrie didn't hesitate to tell me, "With fries and chocolate milk."

"Me, too," Karlie giggled, "But I want chicken salad instead of roast beef. Is that okay?"

"Of course it is, baby girl," I warmly replied, gathering both girls into my arms and gently hugging them...

~~~~~~

When the girls reappeared they looked like store models or something you would see in a fashion magazine because of how pretty I thought they both looked.

"Who're you?" I playfully teased, "And what have you done with my friends, Kerrie and Karlie?"

"You're so silly, Michael," Karlie giggled, "It's us."

"Thank you for the new pajamas, and slippers, Michael," Kerrie shyly said, "And this robe is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

"My sister's right," Karlie softly added, "Would it be alright if we thank you properly? We already thanked Sarah properly, and she said it would be okay."

"You don't have to thank me, sweetie," I tenderly replied, "But if Sarah said it was okay, then go right ahead if it..." and before I could even finish speaking, both of them were hugging me and kissing me on the cheek, which touched my heart deeper than anything I'd experienced up to that point in my life...well, with the exception of Sarah's love for me.

~~~~~~

That night after the girls had gone to sleep, I laid my head in Sarah's lap and cried my eyes out when I thought of the two adorable little angels that God had placed in our lives. It ripped my heart out by the roots knowing how terrible it had to have been for the two of them growing up in an orphanage with no one but each other to lean on.

"I know exactly what you're feeling, baby," Sarah softly wept, "Because I'm feeling the same thing, too."

"I know that we've only known those two for a very short while," I softly told her, wiping tears from my eyes, "I can't explain how it happened, but they've completely stolen my heart, Sarah."

"And now you know why I fell in love with you, my love," Sarah affectionately replied, "It's because of that beautiful, God given heart of yours that looks for the good in everyone...and don't think for a minute that those two precious children can't feel it, too; because they can."

"Do you think so?" I asked.

"Michael, honey" she sweetly replied, gently removing my hair from my forehead and pushing it out of the way and behind my ear, "Those two girls clearly think that you hung the moon. Hell they told me so when I was back in their room with them helping them change into their new night clothes."

"I want you to do something for me, my love," I smiled...

~~~~~~

THE NEXT MORNING

"You guys are going to be hanging out with Sarah for a while today," I leaned down and told the twins, as we stood outside the front of the hotel, "I've got to do a couple of radio interviews with the band this morning and then when I'm done, I'll catch up with you guys and we'll go do something really fun together, just the four of us. How does that sound?"

"That sounds good to us," Karlie smiled "Doesn't it, Sis?"

"She's right, Michael," Kerrie impishly giggled, then she leaned over and kissed me on the cheek and told me, "Go to work, ya bum," which was followed by not only by a cacophony of girlish laughter, but also big heartfelt hugs from the both of them.

"You girls stay out of trouble," I knowingly smiled, kissing Sarah's lips while covertly handing her my credit card, "I love you."

"We love you, too," Sarah smiled, as I stepped into the cab that was awaiting me, "See ya later, you handsome devil..."

~~~~~~

After the radio interviews were over with that morning, Lee and Kevin both went back to the hotel to where the two girls they'd brought home with them after the concert last night were anxiously waiting their return.

This afforded me some time to talk with Mark, my first cousin and best friend since childhood. He and I were not only the founding members of Odyssey but we both shared the same musical vision. I told him all of what had taken place after we left the venue last night, and how the twins had stolen mine and Sarah's hearts.

"I can't help feeling like I do, Mark," I told him, "I hope you don't think I'm weak for this."

"Are you kidding me?" he grinned, "You wouldn't be the same person if you didn't feel like you do about those little sweeties. Come on, Mike, don't think for a minute that I didn't see the way they acted when you sat on the edge of the stage in front of them last night and played your new song. To be totally honest with you, I thought it was one of sweetest things I've ever seen. Lee and Kevin thought so, too, Cuz."

"Is that right?" I grinned, as Mark nodded his head, "Thanks, Mark; I really appreciate your honesty. It's one of the things that I know I've always been able to count on ever since we were kids."

"You're more than welcome, you know that," he told me, as we sat in the small coffee shop behind the radio station and drank our coffee...

~~~~~~

HER

I had our limo driver take us down Fifth Avenue so that I could buy some new clothes for Kerrie and Karlie; and the more time I spent around those two the more my heart wanted them to become my own. Don't ask me why I felt that way, because I still can't explain it. All I knew was that they needed someone, Michael and I, to look after them. And while I might sound insane it was then that I decided to approach Michael about the possibly of adopting them.

With my trust fund combined with Michael's earnings, we had earned plenty of money by then, and keep doings until we were old enough to retire, which was a long way off so; that would not be an issue when asked. I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that like my darling Michael, my heart had been stolen by these two precious and beautiful angels that God had placed in our lives. I also knew, that with the help of Mayor Giuliani, Kerrie and Karlie would be allowed to remain with Michael and I the entire time we were going to be in New York.

I made sure that both girls had at least a week's worth of new clothes along with new underclothes, dress shoes and tennis shoes and socks. It did my heart a world of good when I saw the looks on their pretty little faces when we entered one of the premiere salons there on Fifth Avenue for complete make-overs, which included haircuts, manicures, and pedicures as well. And when everything was done, it was all I could do to contain myself when I saw two of the most absolutely beautiful girls that I'd ever laid eyes on.

"What's wrong, Sarah?" Kerrie asked me, her precious little heart full of concern by the look in her big blue eyes, "You're crying; did we do something wrong?"

"No, baby girl," I sniffled smiling, pulling the two of them as close to me as my arms would allow, "It's just that you girls look so beautiful and it makes me so very happy, that's all honey, I promise..."

~~~~~~

ME

Once I returned to the hotel, I got them to contact the limo driver so that he could tell Sarah and the girls that I was on my way to meet them to take them to lunch. I also got the hotel manager to recommend a jewelry store that would able to make something for Kerrie and Karlie that I'd been thinking about the whole morning...

~~~~~~

The owner of the jewelry store that had been recommended to me by the hotel manager was more than happy to fulfil my request, especially when I paid him in advance for what I wanted him to handcraft. He told me that my order would be ready the next day and that I could come and pick it up any time after that...

~~~~~~

While I was placing my order, an idea suddenly came to me, and as opposed to going to meet Sarah and the girls, I had their limo driver bring them back to hotel instead. Of course I wasn't prepared for what I saw when the girls emerged from the limo; and I thought my heart was going to stop beating right then and there when I beheld two of the most beautiful girl children I'd ever seen.

"I take it you like what you see, honey?" Sarah giggled, seeing me speechless for only the second time since she'd known me, "Aren't they pretty?"

"Pretty doesn't even begin to describe them," I smiled, pulling Kerrie and Karlie into my arms.

"You girls look so beautiful," I softly told them "And I'm so happy that you're going to lunch with me and Sarah."

"Thank you, Michael," Karlie sweetly replied, placing her arms around my neck and gently kissing me on the cheek, "You and Sarah are the nicest people that me and Kerrie have ever met."

"She's right, Michael," Kerrie said repeating the action of her sister, "And thank you for everything you've done for us."

"It was our pleasure, sweetheart," I tenderly replied, holding the two of them firmly in my arms as happy tears poured down my face.

It was also in that moment that I realized I would never be able to let these girls go back to that awful orphanage...ever again.

~~~~~~

I took Sarah and the girls to "Tavern on the Green" for lunch. And as I ate my food, I couldn't help but notice how much my wife and the twins favored one another. It was also another deciding factor to do what I did when we got back to the hotel that afternoon...

~~~~~~

Once the girls were asleep I looked at Sarah, who, by this time could read what was not only on my mind but also in my heart.

"I've got something I want to run past you, my love," I told her, "I was thinking that maybe we could..."

"Oh, Michael; yes," she quietly squealed, interrupting me as happy tears began to fill her eyes, "I want to adopt them, too, baby."

"Are you sure?" I cautiously asked her, "It's going to be a big responsibility for us."

"I don't care," she quickly replied, with no hesitation whatsoever, "I know that you love them as much as I do, and there's nothing on this earth that we can't do together."

"Thank you, baby," I gratefully smiled, "There was no way in hell that I was going to be able to let them go back to that terrible orphanage once we headed home."

"Me either," Sarah began to cry "Just the thought of it breaks my heart, Michael."

"There's no need for you to cry anymore, Sarah, my love," I warmly smiled, tenderly kissing her soft lips, "I'll call Mister Giuliani first thing in the morning..."

~~~~~~

THE NEXT AFTERNOON

"I can't think you enough, Your Honor," I gratefully replied, shaking Mayor Giuliani's hand, who, earlier that morning, instructed one of his people to expedite and walk me and the necessary paperwork through adoption process of New York City's Department of Human Services so that Sarah and I could legally adopt Kerrie and Karlie as our daughters, "I can't begin to tell you what this means to my wife and I, sir."

"There's no need to thank me, Mike," he kindly replied, "I know in my heart that you and Sarah will take great care of those girls; congratulations...!"

~~~~~~

We hadn't said anything to the twins about adopting them yet because we didn't want to get their hopes up only to have them painfully dashed. However, after excitingly telling Sarah, who happily wept at the news, I called my parents back in Texas to let them know that Sarah and I would be bringing home two beautiful additions to our wonderful family...

~~~~~~

Chapter Six

When I got back to the hotel, it was all I could do to hide my excitement. However, I still managed to pull it off anyway. And the moment I got back to our suite, I saw the twins laying side-by-side on the floor happily watching the television without a care in the world. Of course that was until they saw me walk through the door, and then they were up and happily greeting me.

"Hi, Michael," Karlie sweetly smiled, "How was your day?"

"Come on, Karlie," Kerrie impishly giggled, "Give the man a break, will ya? He just now got here."

"Hello, my little sweeties," I widely smiled, beckoning my wife to my side, and instructing the twins to take a seat on the couch, while Sarah sat beside me in the loveseat that was across from them, "I've got something really important that I need to talk to you two about."

"Uh oh," Kerrie quietly replied, her head facing the floor, "You're going to take us back to the orphanage now, aren't you?" as great big tears began to fill her eyes.

"Oh, sweetie, no," I tenderly told her, quickly hopping up from the loveseat, gently pulling her into my arms and wiping her eyes with my handkerchief, "What on earth would make you think something like that?"

"Because we've both been through this before," Karlie started sniffling, "People have come and taken us out of the orphanage for a few days and then after buying us some nice gifts, they take us back and we have to give the gifts to the orphanage."

"Is that right?" I asked, my anger beginning to show, until Sarah reached over and gently touched my arm, which always had a way of soothing my anger, "Well, that's not going to happen to either one of you ever again."

"Maybe not," Karlie glumly replied, "But you're still gonna take us back, aren't you?"

"Not unless you absolutely want to go back," I smiled, reaching into my back pocket and retrieving the envelope that contained their adoption papers, "Sarah and I were hoping that you girls might want to come and live with us. Of course that means that you'll have to change your last name to Taylor," and before I could even take another breath, I was being gently tackled onto the floor, blinded by a blurry of corn silk blonde hair, amidst happy squeals, kisses and giggles and hugs.

"Oh, yes," one of them cried, I didn't know which, "Yes, yes, yes, yes," followed by more excited squeals, more hugs...and a whole lot of gently and tenderly sweet kisses on both cheeks.

~~~~~~

"Does this mean that you're going to be our Dad," Karlie asked, "And Sarah's going to be our Mom?"

1...45678...12