I'm Not Who I Used to Be Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After dismissing the court for the day, with the provision that court proceedings would reconvene at nine o'clock the following morning, the officers of the court took the leading defense attorney into custody where he would be arraigned at the earliest possible convenience of the court and that the defense attorney would be allowed to post bail.

A rather big surprise happened to us on our way out of the courtroom, when the parents of T.J. Powell got mine and Sarah's attention, kindly asking for a moment of our time so that they could speak with us, also very respectfully requesting if the twins, especially Kerrie, could be present...

~~~~~~

"Alright, Mister Powell," I nicely replied, once we were in a conference room which Sam Gaines allowed us the use of, "You've got us here, what can we do for you?"

"My name is Lance and my wife's name is Carolyn," he humbly began, "While I knew nothing of my son's behavior while he was at school, as the boy's father; I accept responsibility for his actions and offer my deepest, most sincere apologies. Our son had never once acted that way before until his mother and I placed him in St. Francis Academy."

I could clearly tell that his son's actions had definitely taken a toll on both Lance and his wife, and because of not only that, but also because of what my heart was so strongly urging me to do, I was inclined to believe his sincerity.

And while accepting his apology, I, too, humbly and ever so kindly told him, "My wife and I both accept your apology, Lance; but my daughter was one of the many victims in this case. As a matter of fact if it weren't for her, we wouldn't be standing here today. So, because of that, don't you think that T.J. should be the one to apologize to her as opposed to you and your wife apologizing to us?"

"I agree with you, Mister Taylor," he warmly smiled.

However before he could say anything else, I smiled and said, "My name is Michael but my friends all call me Mike. I would very much like it if you and your wife would do the same."

"Thanks, Mike," he grinned, and then glaring at his son, T.J. who, with his arm still in a cast, was sitting across the long table in the room we were allowed to use, Lance angrily told him, "I believe you owe this young lady a very big and sincere apology; so, I suggest you get to it, boy."

"Kerrie, honey," I softly told her, as she sat there with her arms crossed in a defensive posture, "Would you please stand up and come over here next to me?"

"Yes Daddy," she quietly replied, quickly making her way to stand between her mother and I, and then placed her arm around my waist.

"After coming over to stand in front of his father, who was across the table from us, T.J. looked at Kerrie and with shameful tears in his eyes, unobtrusively told her, "I'm really sorry for the terrible things I said to you, and I'm sorry for shoving my hand up your skirt and hurting you. I know that it's gonna take some time, but I hope that one of these days you'll find it in your heart to be able to forgive me."

"I've already forgiven you, T.J." Kerrie sweetly told him, "But it's gonna be a while before I can be around you without wanting to hurt you all over again, and I hope you can understand that."

"I understand, Kerrie," the boy bravely replied, "Thank you for your forgiveness just the same though; I know it's a lot more than I deserve right now."

"Thank you, T.J." I said, shaking his good hand, "It takes one heck of a man to admit to being wrong and apologizing for it. I think you're going to end surprising yourself one of the days and do great things with your life. You're already on your way from what I can see."

"Thank you, too, Mister Taylor," the boy quietly replied, a light of hope beginning to take root in his young eyes, "I know it doesn't mean a whole lot right now, but I really like your band's music...I always have..."

~~~~~~

Thus began the start on the road to healing for not only Kerrie, but also for me, because that was the day that I discovered what the words true forgiveness were all about. Somewhere in the middle of it all, I discovered an unconditional love that I never knew I even possessed...and that's how I loved my wife and daughters, along with the rest of my family and close friends...unconditionally...

~~~~~~

LATER THAT NIGHT

Sarah and I were lying in bed together talking about the long and somewhat stressful day she and I and our daughters had all been forced to deal with. And in talking about it, the occurrence between us and the Powell family came up in the conversation.

"I've got to give Lance Powell the respect I have for him," I said, "I thought the way he handled the whole situation with T.J. was a really nice gesture on his part. What about you, Sarah?"

"I agree with you, my love," she softly told me, "And it's a shame that his son got caught up in the bullshit and allowed himself to fall under the influence of that damn school, don't you think?"

All of a sudden, Lance's words in the conversation we'd had earlier that day came to mind, "Our son had never once acted that way before until his mother and I placed him in St. Francis Academy," making me realize that somewhere something was terribly wrong.

However as opposed to needlessly worrying Sarah and the girls, I kept my suspicions to myself until after the trial was over with. Then and only then would I take my suspicion to Uncle Brian...and leave us not forget about Sam Gaines as well...

~~~~~~

THAT NEXT MORNING

Sarah and I were sitting around the table eating breakfast after having gotten ready to go back to court that day when the phone rang. Of course Mom answered it and in a few moment told me that I had a phone call.

I answered the phone to discover that Sam Gaines was on the other end with great news for me.

"Hi, Sam," I smiled, "I was told that you've got some great news to tell me."

"That's right m'boy," he jovially replied, "After their attorney got arrested yesterday, and because they knew that their lives were both over, Ryan O'Hara and James Ross have offered to plea it down to sixty years with the provision that they could come up for parole in twenty years as opposed to a guarantee that they'd both get life without the possibility of parole. Before I accept their plea, I need to know what you think about that."

"I don't know," I told him, "I really need to talk it over with my wife and daughters, well daughter actually, it's Kerrie, and she's the one who was involved with this crap to begin with."

"I'll tell you what," Sam said, "Sit down with Sarah and Kerrie and get back to me I a couple of hours and then we'll go from there, Mike; okay?"

"I'll do it," I smiled, "and thanks for involving us in this. We really appreciate it."

"I'm in no way trying to place any undue pressure on you folks," Sam quietly replied, "But I need to tell you that the rest of the victims involved are all on board with this."

"It won't take more than a couple of hours to resolve this issue," I told him "You'll hear back from me very soon. I promise you, Sam."

"If you say so, kid," Sam laughed, "That's good enough for me...I'll talk to you in little while then..."

~~~~~~

The moment I got off of the phone with Sam I immediately let Sarah and Kerrie know two things. One of them was that we weren't going to have to go to court that day; and the second thing was the reason why.

I explained to Sarah and the girls (Kerrie wanted her sister there with her) what Sam had told me. I also let them know of the decision that the rest of the victims had come to as well. However before Kerrie made her decision, Sarah let her in on a couple of things that Uncle Brian had told her about how people like Ryan O'Hara and James Ross got treated by the other inmates in prison populations.

"Uncle Brian told me that Ryan O'Hara and James Ross will get beaten up on a daily basis by all of the other prisoners in the penitentiary because of the fact that they were convicted of crimes involving children, honey," Sarah told Kerrie, "I figure that if anyone knows about that sort of thing, it's Uncle Brian, don't you agree?"

"As long as what happened to me doesn't happen to anybody else then I'm okay with that," Kerrie quietly said, "And I want James Ross to suffer, too."

"Oh, he will, baby," I reassured her, "I promise you that."

Then Kerrie looked at me and said, "Call Judge Gaines back and tell him that we're on board, too, Daddy..."

~~~~~~

As promised, O'Hara and Ross were sent away and we never saw nor heard of them ever again. St. Francis Academy was closed down, and by the authority of Judge Samuel Gaines, along with the consent of the parents of the student athletes, urine, blood, and hair samples were taken for the purposes of being able to press charges against The Catholic Diocese. These charges ranged from not only child abuse, but also criminal negligence in the case of the student athletes...

You see, it was discovered that anabolic steroids and performance enhancing drugs were given to the student athletes by the coaching staff there at Saint Francis Academy, which was the main, and contributing reason that they achieved and maintained unbeaten records in the games that the student athletes played. It was also discovered that because of the steroids the coaching staff knowingly provided the male athletes with, it caused certain behavioral changes in them, which, in the case involving T.J. Powell, caused him to fly into a rage and attempted to force himself on my daughter.

Because of the training I'd given her, the boy severely paid for his actions with a broken arm and nose. He was extremely fortunate for having only received two injuries, because had I not taught Kerrie to control her temper, T.J. would still be in a coma even now...if not worse...

Don't get me wrong, I neither taught nor encouraged my wife and daughters to be vicious in defending themselves, but they, in every way imaginable, flat out refused put up with any shit from anyone; that much was certain. And make no mistake when I tell you how proud I am of all three of them, but again, that's another story, so; please forgive me for getting ahead of myself...

~~~~~~

FIVE MONTHS LATER

It had been almost four years since Sarah and I were married and in that time we found ourselves only growing closer. Not only were we the proud parents of two of the most beautiful girls that a couple could ever ask for, but my music career had taken off and gone beyond each band member's wildest dream. And now that we'd finished touring from our second album we asked Ahmet if he would allow us some much needed time off.

"Take all the time you kids need," he kindly told us, "You've more than earned it..."

~~~~~~

It was the end of summer and the girls' fifteenth birthday was less than a week away. Claire had been very diligent with her lesson plans for our daughters and she and Sarah were sitting on the back patio of her dream home, which we'd moved into not long after it was finished.

"I've never seen two girls that are smarter and more intelligent than Karlie and Kerrie," Claire told Sarah, "And I'm not just saying that because they're my nieces, Sarah. It's the God's honest truth."

"Oh, I believe you, Claire," Sarah grinned "But how intelligent are we talking here?"

"I'm talking about the two of them possessing a well over genius I.Q. of one-forty," Claire seriously replied, "With yours and Michael's permission, I'd like to take them to the U of H to have them tested...but like I said only if you and my brother are alright with it."

"Do it, little sister," I grinned, stepping up onto the patio after having heard most of their conversation. Then I looked at Sarah and asked, "What do you think about it, my love?"

"Oh, you know me, baby," Sarah sweetly replied smiling "I only want what's best for our girls."

"Alright then," Claire grinned, "I'll take them to see a good friend of mine who just happens to be the head of the Child Psychology Department at the U of H and get them tested first thing tomorrow morning."

"Thanks, Claire" I gently smiled, standing up and then placing my arms around her so I could give my little sister a great big hug, "This means a whole lot to not only Sarah and I, but also the twins, too, and in case I haven't told you lately; I love you very much, little sister."

"No, you haven't," she sweetly grinned, in a teasing tone of voice, "But that's okay because I still love you anyway, Big Brother."

"This means he world to us, Claire," Sarah gently told her, "And we really appreciate what you're doing for our daughters."

"Your daughters and my nieces," Claire giggled, "And this family takes care of its own, but I still need to make a phone call and get everything set up so they'll be ready for Karlie and Kerrie when we get there in the morning," and with that said she got up and disappeared into the house to use the phone..."

~~~~~~

HER

I was thrilled with the news that Michael's sister, Claire, had given us concerning our girls. It was then that I remembered back to when we first met the two of them. I'd known in my heart even back then that there was something very special about those two, and now those same feelings were coming to fruition.

"Let me ask you something, Claire," I questioned, once she'd returned from making the arrangements to take our daughters to Houston in the morning, "What kind of tests are we talking about?"

"The tests are all standard tests that are given to gifted students," Claire warmly smiled, "And I've got a strange feeling that tells me that both Karlie and Kerrie are geniuses. The testing fees won't cost but just a little bit and I've got that covered. Hell it's the least I can do."

"Whoa, wait a minute, Little Sister," Michael said, reaching for his wallet, "How much is "just a little bit"?"

"Lighten up, Mikey," she giggled, "It's only going to cost a hundred and fifty dollars for the both of them and you've paid me well enough that I can more than afford it. Besides, I'm not only their Aunt but I'm also their teacher, so; please let me do this...please?"

"Aw, hell," Michael snorted, with Claire giggling because she knew he's given in, "Alright, but make sure that Sarah and I know what their test scores are as soon as you find out."

"You know that I will," she warmly grinned, making Michael stand up so that she could hug him "And thanks, Big Brother. I promise that you won't regret this."

"What're you talking about?" he playfully teased, "I already regret it and they haven't even been tested yet..."

~~~~~~

THAT NIGHT

As Michael and I were tucking our girls in for the night, he told them what the plan for tomorrow was.

"I've got something we need to talk about, girls," Michael softly told them "Your Aunt Claire is taking the two of you to the University of Houston tomorrow to have you tested."

"We know, Daddy," Karlie smiled, "She already told us."

"That's a good thing," I grinned, "Then I don't need to tell you both that I want you two to try and answer every question to the very best of your abilities, okay babies?"

"We promise to do our best, Momma," Kerrie sweetly replied smiling, "Besides, Aunt Claire told us that how we do on the tests tomorrow is going to determine our future and we don't want to disappoint you and Daddy."

"That's right," I warmly replied, gently hugging the both of them, "I love you girls more than anything on this earth..."

~~~~~~

Chapter Six

THE NEXT MORNING

ME

Sarah and I woke up early with the girls so that she could make certain that they both ate a nice full breakfast before they left with Claire to go take the battery of tests that awaited them at the U of H. And regardless of how much my sister objected, I made certain that she had more than enough money to take care of anything that might arise while they were gone...

~~~~~~

With the girls gone, and because we had the house to ourselves for a change, Sarah and I decided to go skinny dipping in the pool. I have to say that every time I saw my wife naked, the hunger that I'd felt for her ever since the first time I laid eyes on her had never faded; and this time was no exception.

"Have I ever told you how beautiful I think you are, Sarah?" I grinned, pulling her naked body against mine as we floated in the water.

"Yes," she sweetly replied smiling, "You tell me all the time, but that doesn't mean I'll get tired of hearing it."

"You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen" I softly breathed, holding her tightly against me "I thought so the very first time I ever saw you in English class that first time."

"I remember" she forlornly replied, "And I was such a bitch to y..."

"Hey," I quickly interrupted her, "We've already been through that, my love; and that was then and this is now."

"I know," she softly and sweetly told me, "And I can never thank you enough for forgiving me for my stupid petulant behavior."

"We're only human, baby," I tenderly replied, "And besides, I haven't walked on water lately, have you?"

"I love you, Michael Taylor" she told me, her arms tightly around my body, "And I always will..."

~~~~~~

Because I hadn't had the chance to go horseback riding in quite a while, I saddled up a couple of horses and took Sarah for a ride, and because I'd gotten Mom's help in preparing it, I also took Sarah on a picnic in the western pastures under the same Live oak tree that she and I were married under.

~~~~~~

HER

"Oh, Michael" I gasped, "What a wonderful place for a picnic; thank you, baby."

"You're welcome, my love," he softly replied leaning over and ever-so-softly kissing my lips "I'd hoped you might enjoy this."

"I love you so much," I told him, "And how is it that you always know just what I like?"

"I don't know," he boyishly grinned, "I'm just lucky, I guess."

"Just lucky, my ass" I giggled, "You've always known what I like ever since we first got together."

"That's because we're supposed to be together, Sarah," he warmly smiled, "But to be honest here, I didn't know that until you kissed me that very first time...do you remember?"

"Remember," I asked "My God, how could I ever forget? It was on the beach when you guys were staying in Malibu and your Mom took me out there to see you."

"I remember, too," he softly said, gazing off into an imaginary distance, "The first time our lips touched it felt like I'd finally come home after being lost for so very long," his beautiful deep, dark brown eyes begin to fill with tears as he continued, "All of the pain and rejection that had taken place was finally gone, and it felt like I was finally free because you were there."

"Please don't cry, my love," I began to sniffle, "I never realized it was that bad for you."

"How could you have possibly known, Sarah," he smiled, pulling me into his arms "You were larger than life to me and I hopelessly dreamed that one day you would be mine. To be totally honest though, I never, in a million years, ever thought that we'd ever be together like we are now."

"But we are," I quickly told him, tears beginning to run down both cheeks, "And I'm never going to leave you. Do you hear me Michael Taylor? I'm never going to leave you."

"Shh," he tenderly soothed me, "I know that, baby...And I'm sorry for bringing up the past just now." And then totally changing the subject to a lighter topic he chuckled and told me, "I don't know about you, but I'm getting kind of hungry...."

~~~~~~

By the time we finished eating lunch as well as brushing the horses down once we returned to the stables, it was getting close to the time that Claire and the twins were going to be home. I could tell that Michael was just as anxious as I was to hear about how Karlie and Kerrie did on the tests they'd taken...

1...45678...13