Impromptu Attraction Ch. 03

Story Info
Two problems need solutions.
6.8k words
4.66
18.6k
7

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/06/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You've been holding out on me!" Julia jumped as Marilynn's voice echoed around her cubicle. She had been sitting at her desk, minding her own business when Marilynn snuck up on her.

"What do you mean?" she asked, swiveling her chair around to face her coworker.

Marilynn lowered her voice to a conspiratorial whisper, unable to keep the excitement out of her voice. "Why didn't you tell me you have two men fighting over you?"

Julia let out a heavy sigh and slumped in her chair: so that's why everyone had been acting so strangely. It had been a week since her boss had unceremoniously revealed his attraction to her, and she had hoped the news would not spread to the entire office.

Unfortunately, all day Monday she had gotten the sense that her coworkers were watching her. While heading toward the copy machine outside of Mark's office she had felt like there were eyes following her every move, and as she glanced around she swore half of the staff writers ducked their heads below their cubicle walls.

By Wednesday people had started to abruptly finish conversations as she entered the room. When she went for a cup of coffee she found a group of columnists standing around the break room in sudden silence, all avoiding eye contact. As soon as she left she could hear them speaking in hushed tones behind the door, and she fought the urge to listen in.

Now it was Friday, and Julia felt like there was a big secret going around that only she didn't know about. Even the freelance writers who only turned up once a month seemed to be in on it. They all seemed to be keeping something from her, when in fact she knew more than anyone else.

"Who says anyone is fighting over me?" she asked, hoping the rumor was confined to a few people. Marilynn's grin made her heart sink.

"Everyone! I must have heard it from ten different people." She didn't wait for a response before continuing. "Apparently when Mark first got back he asked around to see if you were seeing anyone, and since no one knew for sure about you and Ben they all assumed you were available."

"And now that they know about me and Ben, they all assume there's some competition going on?" Julia shook her head. For an office comprised primarily of men, there was an awful lot of gossip spread around. She sighed again, "Why didn't anyone just ask me?"

"Oh honey, you know that's not how things work. When you hear a story about someone you talk about it with everyone else." Marilynn gave her a patient smile. "Still, I'm not sure why everyone is assuming Mark is so interested in you. No offense, but asking if someone is single doesn't mean-" she stopped short when she saw the guilty look on Julia's face.

All week Julia had been debating about telling Marilynn what had happened between her and Mark. She had thought saying anything about it would just inspire wild rumors, so she had kept quiet about him kissing her (not to mention her punching him in response).

Now that wild rumors were already spreading, she wondered whether telling Marilynn would make any difference. With reluctance, Julia told the whole story.

For perhaps the first time in her life, Marilynn was speechless. Julia could almost hear the gears clicking together in her friend's head as she processed the information. Finally she managed to say, "To be honest, I'm jealous."

"Jealous? Of what?" For the life of her Julia couldn't think of a single enviable thing about the situation.

"The only two guys in the whole office I haven't been able to seduce, and you have them both at your beck and call!"

Julia stared in disbelief, a thousand questions coursing through her brain all at once. She was well aware that Marilynn had a hobby of picking up younger men, but had no idea she was honing her skills so much at the office.

She picked her most prominent concern and asked, "When exactly did you try to seduce my boyfriend?"

"Oh relax. It was years ago, back when he first started here." Marilynn gave a reassuring smile. "He was so sweet and innocent, I just wanted to take him home and do bad things to him."

Julia leaned over and looked at Ben, who was talking intently on the phone barely ten feet away. She was having difficulty picturing him as completely sweet and innocent after some of the things they had done together.

"Used all my best tricks, but he didn't seem interested," Marilynn continued. "Never completely gave up until you came along, now he's a lost cause." She gave a wistful sigh, but otherwise didn't seem too disappointed.

"And Mark?" Julia asked, wondering if she really wanted to know the answer.

Marilynn gave her a patient look. "I only go after the available ones, and as long as I've been here he's never been single." She paused before adding, "Until now that is."

Julia saw a familiar gleam in her coworker's eye. "That's assuming you don't believe all the rumors going around of course."

Marilynn patted her on the shoulder. "Don't worry hon, it'll all work itself out. I'm sure by the end of the weekend everyone will forget the whole thing."

As Marilynn turned to leave, Julia again glanced across the aisle to her boyfriend's desk. Ben was still sitting with his phone pressed to his ear, furiously scribbling into a notebook. She wondered how much of Marilynn's report he had heard, and what his reaction would be when he found out the whole office was talking about him.

Things at work the past week had been tense. Ben was doing his best to let things go, but that didn't stop him from keeping a close eye on Mark whenever he ventured anywhere near Julia.

Mark was doing his best to pretend nothing had happened at all, and was avoiding Julia whenever possible. Even so, she couldn't shake the feeling that he was watching her.

Despite all the tension at work, Julia was relieved that her after-work life had not been negatively affected. She and Ben had barely left his bed the past weekend, and had spent every night that week together. Ben would never admit it, but Julia had a feeling the extra attention she was getting in the bedroom was a subtle way of reminding her where she belonged.

She was brought out of her reverie by a familiar hand on her shoulder, and smiled up at Ben as he leaned against the edge of her desk. "Busy day?" he asked.

"It's been interesting if nothing else," she began. "I didn't know Marilynn tried to get you into bed with her."

"Neither did I," he replied after a long pause, a worried look crossing his face. "Recently?"

"When you first started working here." Julia laughed. "Don't tell her you didn't notice, she might try to compensate."

Ben still looked mystified, but shrugged it off. "So that's what the two of you were whispering about."

Julia hesitated, debating about whether to tell Ben about the rumors. While she didn't want to upset him, she thought it was better for him to know. As she gave a condensed version of her conversation with Marilynn, the smile faded from Ben's face. By the time she finished he was sitting perfectly still, staring blankly at the floor.

"I wondered why everyone was looking at me funny," he eventually said. "They must expect me to fly into a jealous rage any second."

She gave him a reassuring pat on the knee. "It's just talk. As long as no one actually involved is saying anything then there's not much we can do but wait for it to blow over."

They heard a noise from the aisle and both turned to see one of the young photographers standing there. He was still in college and Julia had never heard him say more than three words at a time, but he seemed determined to speak to them.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said to Julia in a meek voice, "but I just wanted to let you know that I don't care what Mark says. I think you're better off with Ben than with him." As soon as he finished talking he hurried down the hall to his own desk, leaving the couple in silence.

They stared after him, neither sure what to say. Up until then Julia believed all the rumors were caused by idle speculation, but now it appeared Mark was fueling the fire.

Eventually Ben spoke. "As long as no one actually involved is saying anything, eh?" His face stayed passive, but she could hear the anger building in his voice.

Julia still couldn't think of anything to say. She was getting angry too, but had no idea what she could do about it. She was still deep in thought when Ben stood up.

"This has gone on long enough," he said, then walked out of Julia's cubicle in the direction of Mark's office.

He was already halfway down the hall before Julia stood up, peeking around the wall to watch what was happening. She could see Ben and Mark exchanging terse words, but she couldn't make out what they were saying. After a short exchange Mark got up from his desk, threw off his suit jacket and followed Ben out into the hall.

Mark was loosening his tie and Ben rolling up his sleeves as they made their way toward the elevator. Ben gave her a confident smile as he walked by, pulling off his glasses and assuring her they would be back soon. Julia watched in bewilderment as they left: were they actually going to fight over her?

She stayed rooted in place as the elevator doors closed, wondering if she should follow them. In the end she sat down in her chair, thinking it would be better if she didn't know exactly what was happening.

It was nearly an hour before they got back. Julia had spent the time alternating between pacing in front of her desk and unsuccessfully trying to get some work done, all the time ignoring the urge to go to the window to see what was going on. By then it was almost five, and the office was slowly shutting down for the weekend.

When the elevator doors opened, Julia was surprised to hear the sound of laughing. She stood up from her desk as Mark and Ben came by, talking and joking like old friends. She took in their appearance and was instantly glad she had not gone to watch.

Mark's shirt had a smear of mud across one shoulder, and Ben's pants were covered in grass stains. Overall they both looked a little worse for wear, but in good spirits.

Julia was even more surprised when Mark started apologizing to her. She stared in amazement as he asked for her forgiveness for the previous Friday, and she could only nod in response. Satisfied with the exchange, he clapped Ben on the back and went down the hall to his office.

Julia sat heavily in her chair, still stunned into silence. It was a few minutes before she heard Ben's voice asking if she was ready to go. She looked up and saw him looking a little more put-together, standing with his bag over his shoulder and a casual smile on his face. Mechanically, Julia gathered everything into her own bag and followed him to the elevator.

It wasn't until they were in Ben's car that she found the words to speak. "What the hell happened?" she asked.

Ben chuckled as he pulled out of the parking lot. "We settled things," he said simply.

"I don't understand, what does that mean?" Julia asked.

"You never spent much time around guys growing up, did you?" he asked, and when Julia shook her head he continued. "Guys and girls have different ways of dealing with things. When girls are upset with each other they go for months at a time without speaking, then hate each other forever from then on. Guys don't really do that. We have our own way of dealing with problems."

"Which is?"

After a thoughtful pause, Ben answered. "We fight it out, and then the winner buys the loser a beer."

She let this statement sink in before asking, "You two got into an actual fight?"

"Sort of," he replied. "I don't think either of us threw a punch, so it was more like wrestling than anything."

She stared at him, putting it all together. If what he said was true, that meant her boyfriend and her boss had just spent the past hour rolling around outside of their office building before going to a bar. "Are you crazy?" she finally asked.

Ben laughed. "What can I say, it works. That's how my cousins and I settled things when we were little." He paused before adding, "Except the beer part, that comes later. But other than that, same system."

"And all guys do this?" she asked in disbelief.

"Maybe not all guys, but a lot of them."

Julia was still turning the information over in her head. "So that's it? Just like that, it's over?"

Ben pulled the car up to the curb outside of Julia's apartment. "Now don't you wish you were a guy?"

For the first time that afternoon, Julia smiled. She had to admit this was a much better way of dealing with problems than she was used to, and she might be tempted to give it a try next time. She felt like a huge weight had been lifted, and was looking forward to going into work without facing the same tension as the past week.

"Are you coming up?" she asked, glancing toward her building. The two of them were spending the evening apart, both feeling like they had been neglecting their friends lately. Julia had made plans for a girls' night with her former roommate, and Ben was hosting the monthly poker game he and his friends had been having for years.

"I'd better not," Ben answered, glancing at his watch. "I told everyone to be there at six, so I should get going."

Julia checked the time before giving him a suggestive smile. "I'd say you have a good fifteen, maybe twenty minutes before you really have to go."

He barely thought about it before turning off the ignition. "They're always late anyway," he said, climbing out of the car.

They practically ran up the stairs to Julia's apartment, and were already locked in a passionate embrace by the time she got the door opened. They managed to drop their bags and kick off their shoes before tumbling onto the couch.

They fumbled with their clothes while keeping their lips locked together, their tongues probing each other's mouths. Ben's hands roamed all over Julia's body, caressing her skin as her clothes came off little by little. He moved his lips down to her neck as the last of their clothes fell to the floor, and from there trailed his tongue down to her waiting breasts.

She gasped as his tongue found her nipples, and moaned in approval when he took each into his mouth. She responded by reaching for his stiffening member, rubbing her fingers along his shaft. His hands continued to move over her skin, making their way down between her legs. He smiled when he found her wet and ready for him.

He pulled her onto his lap, easily sliding his full length into her wet pussy. They both let out a sigh as she began moving her body up and down, and she gripped the back of the couch for support. He leaned forward to take her nipples into his mouth again, and she doubled her efforts at riding his stiff cock.

He tugged the elastic band out of her ponytail, running his fingers through her hair as it fell around her shoulders. He pulled her in for a deep kiss that made her forget about moving her body on his, and for a moment they focused entirely on their lips and tongues pressed together.

He wrapped his strong arms around her and laid her onto her back. She propped her head on the arm of the couch as he began moving his cock in and out of her, building to an intense rhythm.

He reached between them to brush his thumb against her clit, causing a shiver to run down her spine. He persisted with her clit until her muscles clamped down around his cock, her body quivering as she came.

She threw her leg over the back of the couch, letting out a moan as he penetrated even deeper into her. She began lifting her hips to meet each of his thrusts, their skin slapping together with each stroke. She closed her eyes as she felt another orgasm building, her heart pounding.

Her back arched when she came again, her body tensing as she muffled a scream. The sensation made Ben's thrusting more insistent, and he let out a low moan as his own orgasm followed hers. They lay together on the couch trying to catch their breath, neither in any hurry to move.

They were interrupted by a knock at the door, and Julia froze when she looked at the clock. "That'll be Stacy," she said, and started grabbing for her clothes. She called through the door that she would be right there while the two frantically got dressed. As Ben was tying his shoes, she opened the door to her friend.

They exchanged greetings before Julia offered an explanation. "Sorry about that, I was just changing," She gave Stacy a hug, hoping her flushed face wouldn't give her away. Stacy gave her a skeptical look, but didn't say anything. "Oh, and you haven't met Ben," Julia added.

Ben stood up from the couch. "Very nice to meet you, but I'm just on my way out." He wished them both a pleasant evening, gave Julia a kiss on the cheek and headed out to meet his own friends.

"Now I see why you've been so busy lately," Stacy said as soon as the door closed. "He's cute, but why are his clothes so dirty?"

Julia rolled her eyes. "Long story, we can discuss it over drinks."

They started the evening at a cocktail lounge before moving on to dinner, and from there settled into a cozy bar with overstuffed chairs and mellow music. They spent the evening reminiscing about the old days and catching up on recent events. Julia filled in all the details of her relationship, and Stacy happily shared her experiences as a newly married woman.

The two had been roommates all four years of college, and had managed to not only get along with each other but stay close friends. By the end of the night they were asking each other why they didn't get together more often, and were making plans for their next meeting.

Well after midnight Julia returned to her apartment, prying her feet out of her heels and wishing the drinks had been strong enough to make her forget her blisters.

She tossed her jacket and purse onto the couch and got ready for bed, pulling on one of Ben's work shirts before slipping under the covers. She debated about calling to ask how his night had gone, but fell asleep before she had made up her mind.

She didn't stay asleep for very long. An hour after she dozed off, Julia awoke to an unpleasantly familiar sound. She sat up in bed and listened again, hoping she had imagined it.

Her heart leapt as she heard the sound of tiny nails scurrying across laminate flooring. She steeled her nerve, then reached for the lamp and flooded the room with light.

For as long as she could remember, Julia had been terrified of mice. They had infested the alley behind her house when she was growing up, and taking out the trash had always been a nightmare. As she grew up she had done her best to avoid them, but lately her building seemed to be swarming with them. With Ben's help she had safeguarded her apartment as best she could, but it had obviously not been enough and this was the third time one had gotten in.

She stared as the little rodent continued its journey across her bedroom, and was horrified when a second scurried after it. As soon as they were safely on the other side of the room she jumped out of bed and ran out to the living room, slamming the door behind her.

She kept a close eye on the door as she weighed her options: she could set some traps and try to get rid of the mice, sleep on the couch and hope they stay in her bedroom, or leave completely and deal with them in the light of day.

Her mind was made up when she heard tiny claws scratching at the door, and she wedged her feet back into her heels before grabbing her jacket and purse and heading out.

She managed to hail a passing taxi, and gave the driver Ben's address. He leered at her through the rear-view mirror the whole ride, and while Julia was glad her jacket was long she wished it was just a little bit longer.

Soon they arrived and she was climbing the stairs to Ben's apartment, and then standing outside his door. She considered using her spare key to let herself in, but decided to knock instead.

12