"In Cold Blood" Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
carvohi
carvohi
2,560 Followers

I listened, but vowed I wasn't getting into this. I knew Susan was sick. I told Kathy, "I told her to get help before she left. She wouldn't listen. I don't know what you want me to do. Can't you get her some help?"

Kathy replied, "God Larry we're desperate. Can't I meet you someplace?"

"I don't know why."

"Larry she's a mess, and she's in real trouble. Please, just meet with me."

I asked, "Why can't you tell me over the phone?"

Her sister sounded like she was crying, "God Larry she's my sister. You married her once. Please, if there was anyone else...

I said, "You come here. I'm not going up there."

I heard her breathe. I thought, 'Could it be that bad?' Kathy said, "We could meet on your side of the Bay Bridge. There's a restaurant just before you turn south on Rte. 50. It's called Sperl's."

I said, "I know the place."

"Could we meet tomorrow?"

"Not tomorrow. How about Sunday night, let's say 8:00 p.m."

She said, "I'll be there. Oh and there's another man, Roland something or other..."

"Roland McCreary?"

"Yes, that's him. Could you get him to come too?"

That was a puzzler. I said, "I'll say something, but I don't know what good it'll do."

Kathy answered, "Please get him if you can."

I replied, "I'll ask him, but he's an odd fish, no guarantees."

"That's all I can ask. Oh please don't forget."

I told her I wouldn't and we hung up. Afterward I said to myself, 'This is so fucked up, but I'll find Roland and see what he wants to do. We'll meet with her, I'll listen to what she has to say, but I'm not getting involved. And damn, what am I going to tell Lisa? '

When I got home Lisa was all excited. She'd seen the doctor; the baby was doing extremely well. I was glad to hear that since she'd been spotting, and that had us all borderline frantic. We decided she should stay abed till the baby came. Now I had to tell her this.

After we went back and forth about the baby, her mom and dad, and me rubbing her tummy and feeling the baby kick I said, "Lisa there's a problem. I've been corresponding with Susan's relatives and something's up." I saw the antenna go up right away.

Lisa grew somber, "I don't see what how that has anything to do with us."

"It doesn't," I replied, "except Susan tried to kill herself. Her sister's a mess. She wants me to see her. I agreed to meet with her this Sunday."

"And you're going?"

"I think I have to."

"You're kidding; after what she put you through?"

"All that's over," I said, "there's nothing she can do to hurt any of us, but she was something to me once. I'd never be able to live with myself if I didn't at least see her sister."

Lisa wasn't happy, "Larry you do what you need to do. Just remember I'm your wife, and I'm carrying our baby."

"Believe honey I know that; it's just that I have to do what I think is right."

"Where're you going to go to meet this person?"

"Sperl's."

"You want me to come?"

"No, I want to get this over with as quickly and as quietly as possible," then I added, "Her sister asked me to find and bring Roland."

Lisa looked relieved, and I couldn't figure that out. She commented, "I saw Roland today. He looks good. So sister wants Roland. I'll call him tomorrow while you're out."

I had a trip for the next day so I'd be on the water, "Could you get him to come back here? And hey, how are you going to see him. You need to stay in bed."

She took her hand and let it linger on my thigh, "I'll give him a call, get him to come for dinner. I'll call out for pizza."

I then said, "Good, tomorrow night." It had to be tomorrow night anyway.

That Friday night turned into something a little extra special. Since she'd been spotting we'd decided to cut out any sex; that included lying sideways too. So I was surprised when we got to bed and she reached down and started fondling me. I'd never asked more about what her first husband had done to her, but even now, months after we were married she still flat out refused to touch me. The few times I'd tried to push her hand down or mentioned it she froze, but that night she used her fingers and her hands to get me off. I enjoyed it, but didn't mention anything. Afterward we cuddled and later watched a little television. Later she did a lot of texting, I got to feel the baby kick some more, and then we went to sleep.

The next day was longer and more tedious than usual. Though we were using sonar it was hard to find many fish, and even then it was mostly blues. It seemed like cutting tangled line all day was all we did. Somebody's kid went to the head, got sick, and I had to clean that up. Then I caught one drunken asshole stupidly throwing his empty beer cans and personal trash over the side. To top it all off we got back later than I'd planned. I left my mate with the clean-up, and promised him a little extra for the work. He was a good guy, I trusted him, and besides he'd acquired a vessel of his own and we'd been fixing it up together.

I didn't get home till after dark. We were still living in her mom and dad's house. Roland's truck was parked on the side. I went in. From the sofa Lisa called the pizza place. Roland and I sat down at the table. The whole thing with Roland confused me so I asked him, "Tell me Roland why would Susan's sister ask for you?"

He popped open a can of my PBR, "It's no big deal really," then he hesitated, "I told you I never touched her, but she wanted me. She was getting a lot of action so I got interested, not in plugging her but in why she was doing it. She sure was a flirtatious so and so, but from what I gathered she only wanted your friends and people in your family. Something was seriously fuck up. I guess someone should have told you, but that wasn't for me to do. Hell, even your father and mother knew what she was doing. I think everybody pretended you knew too, but I knew you didn't."

Even after the time that had passed I still felt my stomach knot up. Lisa saw it, but didn't say anything.

Roland went on, "I got word that something extra was going to happen. Some of the boys wanted to take her to the next step; it was going to be some kind of gang bang," he looked at Lisa, "Sorry,' then he turned back to me, "Now I'm no mind reader, but I knew Susan wouldn't have liked that so I got the details and followed Clay around. The night of the 'big bang' you were supposed to be in Crisfield looking at somebody's boat. I thought it sucked how they'd be doing your wife while you were out trying to make an extra buck so you and she could live better. I followed him. He went to a motel down near Cambridge. When I got there I bet I saw a dozen cars and pick-ups from our way. I located the room, listened at the door till I was sure Susan wasn't going along. When I heard her start to cry and beg them to stop I broke in.

I felt sick.

He went on, "I broke in. They had her tied to the fucking bed. She was crying and trying to break loose. All these guys, they were supposed to be our friends and your cousins, but they were laughing and pulling on her. One was pouring beer all over her stomach. No one was actually fucking her' it was more like something we might have read that came out of Abu Ghraib. The whole scene made me half sick."

My stomach was churning.

Roland kept going, "I'm a big guy, and I've stayed in shape. A lot of those guys are just lard assed rednecks. Larry I was so pissed. I knew Susan was fucked up. They had no right. I kicked and punched the shit out of them. No one tried to fight me; mostly they just wanted to get out of there. I threw one son-of-a-bitch against the fucking wall. It only took a couple minutes and they were gone. It was just Susan and me, and she was a complete mess. I carried her out to my pick-up, took her to my home, and nursed her all night. God Larry she cried and cried. She kept thanking me for saving her. She kept crying and saying she never thought they'd do anything like that. She kept begging me to never tell you."

I didn't know what to say. I just sat there. Lisa didn't say anything either.

Roland finished up, "I kept her with me all night that night. I cleaned her up and took her home. I made her promise to try to stop, or at least cut down, but she never said. I knew she was sick, but what could I do," he paused and took another sip of beer, "I did sort of watch out. A couple times I had to step in, no big deal, just warn couple guys off. It didn't do much good; she'd become someone else, like some big city whore, dead inside. Funny though, around you she still acted like her old self."

He looked at me appealingly, "Tell me Larry; what was I supposed to do?"

I said, "I don't know Roland."

He finished, "It wasn't more than a few days later. Maybe a week or two, and the thing with the car salesman came out."

God I was glad I hadn't eaten anything yet, "You know why you're here tonight."

"Lisa said you're supposed to see Susan's sister, and she wants me to come too."

I nodded, "I guess we both know why."

He nodded, "I can't say why, but I liked Susan. I'll do what I can."

I smiled, "You know Roland you're probably the only real man there is left in this part of the woods."

He glanced at Lisa, then back at me, "You seem to be doing all right."

There was a knock at the door. It was the pizza delivery. The three of us all ate pizza and drank; Roland and I PBR, Lisa had Pepsi.

The next morning and afternoon went slowly, but we did get in a little earlier. A couple of my fares complained, but I quietly offered them a free trip next time. That seemed to mollify them. I got back home in time to shower and shave. Roland showed up, and off to Sperl's we went.

We got there a little early and decided to wait in my truck. I said to Roland, "You had feelings for her didn't you?"

He shrugged and looked out the side window, "She was pretty. She could flirt and not seem like a whore. I knew she was sick. I felt sorry for her."

"You never said anything."

"No reason. She was your wife. Most everyone thought you knew," he turned toward me, "but like I already said I knew you didn't."

Just then a steel grey Mercedes pulled into the lot. Two people got out. I recognized Kathy. The other person was a man I'd never seen before. Roland and I got out and walked over. After a brief exchange which identified the man as a private investigator we went inside and were seated.

Since it was late for a Sunday we had no problem getting our meals. We ate mostly in silence; it wasn't until dessert that we started to seriously talk.

Kathy opened things up, "Susan's sick and in trouble."

I asked, "So what can we do?"

The private investigator, a man who'd been introduced as Warren Suwala held up a finger, "May I?"

I replied, "We're all ears."

He began, "Ms. Garofalo and her brother first approached us a few weeks ago, and we've been investigating and following Susan ever since. Here's what we've uncovered. First, Susan's been a real 'wild child' since she came home. We have phone records of numerous 'short term relationships', but not long ago that all changed. She came in contact with a man named Gustav Stavrianos; he's a natural born citizen, but his family is from Greece. He has connections with people there and others who are here illegally. He also has contacts with characters from Nigeria and Russia. To be blunt Stavrianos is a whoremaster; he's a collector, a harvester of sorts. He finds vulnerable women from the better classes and manages to insinuate himself into their lives ultimately gaining control of what they do. He's not cheap. He doesn't work the streets, and the pimps he collects for don't either.

Roland interjected, "A whore monger and a better class of scum."

The P.I. went further, "The women he collects don't usually have the emotional stamina to last. They'll go a few months before they're ultimately out on the street."

Roland asked, "Susan?"

The P.I. replied, "She's almost there. Just a few weeks ago she was still entertaining a better clientele, but now..."

Roland added, "The dregs."

"Not quite yet," replied the P.I., "but it won't be long. She's done a couple fraternities, and she's pulled at least one bachelor party, 'all-nighter'. And worse..."

I asked, "It gets worse?"

"She got some tattoos."

Roland sighed, "Oh Jesus."

I glance about. Kathy and Roland seemed to know. I guess I was the only virgin, "What does that mean?"

The P.I. seemed to grit his teeth, "We've got footage. She's got some phony baloney runes on the backs of her hands. They're on the back of her neck as well. At least we're pretty sure they are. What's especially bad; she's got a bar tattoo on the back of her neck. They've got her in a collar too. It doesn't look like a collar, more like a necklace, but we've got photos," he reached down and pulled out a small envelope. He opened it and handed around several pictures.

I looked at the pictures. The bar tattoo was clearly there. I thought the runes looked cheap, like he said, phony. The collar, as he called it, looked like a pretty typical necklace except for the small heart shaped lock on the back. I couldn't say how I knew, but I knew it was a lock. On the front it had a decorative charm of some sort. "What's the charm on the front of the necklace say," I asked?

The P.I. replied, "Initials; probably her owner's."

I also noticed she was heavily made up. That was out of character for Susan.

Kathy looked at me, "Mr. Suwala explained to us the bar code tattoo is most likely a phone number. If Susan ran away, anyone who recognized it could call the number and her pimp, or 'owner' would know where to get her."

Roland asked, "So where do they have her now?"

Mr. Suwala put the pictures away and responded, "All over. They move her from place to place. Sometimes she's awake; a couple times we've seen them carry her out to a van. No big cities yet, but she's been to Hagerstown, Maryland, and Richmond, Virginia. Her last stops however, have been in the Baltimore area. We think she's pretty much in the dark about her real situation. We were surprised at first, but sometimes they let her go home. One of my colleagues says it's a control technique; it gives her a sense of security, like she could go home if she really wanted to.

Roland threw his dessert fork on the table, "Baltimore. What a shithole."

The P.I. nodded, "If something doesn't happen soon she'll be on the street, then it won't matter."

Roland nodded back, "If something doesn't happen."

Kathy replied, "If somebody doesn't do something."

I looked at the P.I., "What about you?"

He shook his head in the negative, "Two reasons. One that's not what my business does, and two, this woman is in way over her head. We've watched; she's scared and suspicious. Her rescue would have to be engineered by people she knows and trusts," he held out his hands, palms up, "we've got it on good account, she trusts the two of you."

I was suddenly very scared, "I wouldn't know what to do."

Roland looked at me. He was looking pretty angry, stern, "Larry we can do it. What we'll need is some advanced notice, like where she might be and when. Not putting you down Larry; I know you can handle yourself, but if you'll leave the physical stuff to me I think we can get her out."

Maybe I was yellow, maybe I was being smart, "We get her out; then what?"

Roland was stone faced, "Let's get her out first," he turned to the P.I., "we'll need information, when, where, who she might be with, how many."

The P.I. nodded somberly, "I need your number. Once we get something I'll call you."

Roland asked, "How long?"

"My guess, some time this week. They keep her busy."

We'd all finished. As we stood Kathy offered to me and to Roland, "We'll see you're both well compensated."

Roland angrily replied, "No you won't."

We all left; Roland and I for my truck, Kathy and the P.I. for wherever they went. On the way home I said, "Damn, what will I tell Lisa?"

Roland put his big maw on my shoulder, "We'll tell her together."

Not much was said after that; once Roland asked me if I had a pistol. I told him I had a .45. He said to get it out, and have it ready when the P.I. called. He scared me when he said that. My dad had bought me a Smith & Wesson M&P .45 when I left for College Park. I remember asking him why he got it for me. He'd just nodded his head and said something about cities. I'd had some training, fired it a few time since, but that was about all. The idea of actually using it sort of took my breath away.

~~~V~~~

When we got home Roland followed me in, and together we talked to Lisa. She wasn't happy, but Roland significantly reduced her anxiety. I never realized the depth of his perception. Here is the gist of what he said.

"Lisa you've got a good man here. You needn't worry about Susan. In fact you should be proud Larry's ready to take on this responsibility. He'll be with me. I won't let him get hurt, and I'll handle Susan afterward. Here is how things should work out. Larry and I will get Susan out of her particular circumstances..."

To me he was so confident, but Lisa still looked scared. She asked a few more questions. She asked one in particular, "What are you talking about...circumstances?"

He said, "They're serious, and not something you need to know about. Not because you're a woman or that we respect you less, but because if anything comes from it the less you know the less you'll be forced to admit...if it comes to that."

That made Lisa worse. She asked, "My Larry...he won't be in any danger?"

"It'll be dangerous," Roland replied, "but only briefly, and I'll be there so you shouldn't worry."

Lisa still wasn't convinced, ""Look Roland Larry and I are building something here, a family. I don't want him to get hurt."

And he replied, "No guarantees Lisa, but if I've got it right it'll only be for a few minutes. Afterward it'll be me and Susan. You and Larry will be in the clear."

When Roland left Lisa was still scared, and when she asked me what was going on all I could say was Susan's in a bad place and we're going to help her out. It didn't help when the next morning while she was lying in bed I surreptitiously tried to get my pistol out of the closet. She climbed out of bed and grabbed my arm vehemently swearing, "No Larry you can't."

I tried to calm her down, but when I told her Roland said I might need it she got so upset I thought she might miscarry. I got her back in bed and tried to appease her by saying it was just a precaution. As I left the door I heard her crying. That was Monday.

By Wednesday and Mr. Suwala hadn't called I figured maybe nothing would happen. Then Wednesday Roland got a message. He called and told me, "We're on for Friday. I'll pick you up at 6:00. He told me not to tell Lisa anything. He figured with luck it would all be over before sun up Saturday morning." I hoped he was right.

Friday came, and Lisa wasn't fooled. I told her to stay by the phone. I'd call her when it was over.

Roland picked me up. He was driving an old Chevy van I'd never seen. When I asked him where he got it he said not to worry it wasn't stolen. We drove south, then west across the Bay Bridge and on out Rte. 50. He made several turns, and since I'd not been in the area in years I lost track. Shortly after 11:00 we pulled up on a side street in a quiet working class neighborhood between Washington and Baltimore.

We sat parked for about fifteen minutes. Then Mr. Suwala showed up in a newer Prius. He came to Roland's window and handed him a paper with what looked like an address. He explained things to us this way.

Mr. Suwala said, "There's a van parked outside this house. It's an older bungalow owned by a retired couple who are in Florida for the season. They've rented it to a 'friend'. When you get there you'll see the van; it's a pretty beat up Chevy," he looked at what we were in, "not too different from what you've got.

carvohi
carvohi
2,560 Followers