In Over His Head Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That's why she was more than a little shocked when Edovan had given his little speech about how he considered the Island to be his new home, and how he would fight for it. It was during that speech the big red jewel at the top has staff...

..had started to glow.

* * * * * * * * * *

Edovan strode purposefully out of the huge double doors into the entryway. He was a man with a purpose. If he was going to believe that he belonged here, he didn't just need to prove it to them. He needed to prove it to himself. As he carefully picked his way down the plush stairs he saw Staan pacing back and forth nervously at the bottom. The big nord's face lit up as he saw his little friend gingerly coming down the stairs.

"Edo! How did it go? Are you ok? What happened?"

Edovan waited till he had closed the distance between them and beckoned the big nord down to his level. As Staan took a knee and leaned in to Edovan, the little bosmer whispered.

"I think we both know what happened."

A look of concern washed over Staan's face. It was clear he felt guilty about just feeding his little friend to the Dragon, so to speak.

"Chair?" was his single word inquiry.

"Chair." was Edovan's monosyllable response.

"I'm sorry Eddo. I really am. But even if I'd told you, would it have stopped you?"

Edovan hadn't considered that. He didn't think it would have. He probably wouldn't have taken it seriously if Staan had told him. He decided to chalk it up to something they would share but never speak of again, and with a knowing look in each others eyes, that was the end of it.

"So what's on the parchment?" Staan asked as they turned together to walk through the outer doors, back out into the sunlit yard. "Oh. I forgot. I was challenged by one of the other rookies."

He handed Staan the notice. He figured Staan would know all about these challenges and how they work and could maybe even give him some tips. He continued talking as they walked and Staan read

"She said I didn't have to do it, but I took the challenge. I want to prove I belong here." he finished proudly.

But as he turned to see what Staan's reaction would be he realized that the big nord was several paces behind him. He was holding the notice at arms length and all the color had drained from his face.

"What's wrong Staan? I just have to fight another rookie. Utha Evershine? I mean with a name like that, how bad can she be, right?"

Edovan felt his stomach dropping. The look on his friend's face was as if someone close to him had died and he had just read about it.

"Edovan." Staan said. His voice flat, like he was trying to keep it under control.

"Utha Evershine is... Mountains."