In Step Ch. 01

Story Info
Two co-workers and their children meet on the lakefront.
5.9k words
4.57
213.8k
116

Part 1 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 03/07/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RonCabo
RonCabo
2,044 Followers

(Author's Note: I think it's safe to say most of us come toLiteroticafor the sex; some stories are short and give it to us quick and dirty, others are longer and take time to build. Some are poorly written, but we read them anyway; others are very well worded and we lose ourselves in the enjoyment of them. If you've read any of my other stories, you know that I use a lot of dialogue to tell the story. After all, that is primarily how we communicate with one another. In Step is no different, except that the sex doesn't come quite as soon. So, I ask your patience in waiting for it, and hopefully, when you get there, it will be satisfying. With any luck, you will find the dialogue just as enticing.)

"You in a hurry to go home?" George asked his son as they left the movie theater.

"Yeah, I have so much to do," Mark replied, flippantly.

George glanced at his son, and then back to the road. He realized Mark had a smirk on his face so he looked again. "You're being facetious."

"Yeah, Dad, I am."

"I'm sorry, son, I—"

"Dad, I'm eighteen years old. You don't have to baby-sit me or make sure I always have things to do."

George merely nodded. Life hadn't been easy for the two in the last year since George's wife, Mark's mother, died from cancer. The issue wasn't their relationship; they got along very well. It was coping with her death. She had been the center of their small family, the glue that held them together. She had done everything for her two guys. So, not only had they struggled to learn to do things for themselves, but they also had to do without her beauty, warmth and spirit. Therefore, Mark's tongue-in-cheek remark—which accurately implied the opposite of what he actually said—was, in fact, self-imposed. The passing of the only woman in their lives left them with little desire to do anything.

So, naturally, it prompted Mark to ask: "What else do you want to do?"

"It's a beautiful day. I thought it might be nice to take a ride along the lakefront," George suggested. "We can drool over the sailboats we would like to own."

"Yeah, that'd be fun."

The fact was, since they did so little outside of the house, when one of them suggested an activity, such as the movie and now the drive, the other rarely disagreed. It was their unspoken method of filling the void for one another.

His dad had been right, Mark thought as they turned onto Lakeshore Drive, it was an incredibly day, warm, but not scorching, yet enough that the women he saw were scantily clad: short shorts and skirts, tank tops. "Good call, dad. The scenery out here is great."

George had an idea what his son was referring to. The boy had just turned eighteen and he was certain Mark's hormones had also kicked into high gear. And it was about time. Neither father nor son had had much interest in the fairer sex since their loss.

"Damn, look at those two!"

"What?" George asked, slowing the car.

Mark hadn't realized he had made the observation aloud. "Uh, uh—"

"You talking about those two women?"

"Uh, uh . . . yeah," Mark admitted. "Sorry, dad."

"Sorry? Why?"

"Uh, well, you know . . . mom and all."

"Mark," George said softly, "it's been over a year. She would want you to get on with your life."

Mark turned to his dad. "I think she'd want you to, also."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"Then why don't we stop and say hello to those lovely ladies?"

"What?" Mark couldn't believe his ears.

With a grin, George explained, "I know that woman. Her name is Donna. She works at the same company as me. She's in accounting." He pulled into a parking space.

"She doesn't look like an accountant to me."

"Well, looks can be deceiving."

"Who's the other gorgeous creature?"

"I think she has a daughter your age. Must be her."

"Wow."

The two females saw father and son approaching. Donna came up to greet them, recognizing George instantly. The obviously younger girl took a seat on a nearby bench.

"George, hi."

"Hello, Donna," George said enthusiastically. "What are you guys doing?"

"It was such a beautiful day, we decided to come out and enjoy it."

Mark was too busy trying to unobtrusively eye up Donna to notice the coincidence. She appeared to be about the same age as his mother and was just as hot in her short shorts and tank top. Her ass was nice and round and sat atop legs that were shapely and toned, but not too muscular looking. Yet her real attraction was a set of gorgeous, bulbous breasts that bubbled up out of her low cut tank top. What an incredible woman.

". . . and this is my son, Mark," George was saying.

"Nice to meet you, Mark," Donna said.

The sound of his name brought Mark back to reality, but he was speechless to do anything except nod, smile and accept her outstretched hand.

"This is my daughter," Donna said turning to the girl on the bench. "Kendall, come say hello to George and Mark."

Kendall did as asked and Mark was as smitten by her as he was her mother. Talk about like mother, like daughter, he thought. They could have been sisters. They were built almost identically, except that Kendall was a little trimmer with slightly smaller tits. Her legs looked better than her mother's, but he thought probably only because she was wearing a short blue jean skirt. Mark loved short blue jean skirts. He greeted her warmly.

She shook hands with George and Mark with a smirk, as though she knew something they did not. She then returned to her seat on the bench, Mark noticing the expanse of thigh that was revealed. That was why he loved short blue jean skirts. It made her legs all the more impressive.

"So, you guys just out enjoying the day, also?" Donna was asking George.

"Weather's just too perfect to stay inside."

"Yeah, after this week at work, I'm glad not to be stuck indoors."

"Busy?" George questioned.

"You haven'theard?" Donna asked in a tone that hinted at big news.

"Heard what?"

"About Jack?"

"Jack your new boss?"

"Not any more," Donna corrected. "Rumor has it that he ran off to Paris withPeter'swife." Peter was the owner of their company.

"Are youkidding?"

That was about all Mark could take. They were going to talk shop, which he could care less about, and over there was a gorgeous creature all alone. He moseyed over to the bench. "Mind if I sit? They're talking about work."

"No, sit."

Mark noticed she still had the smirk on her face. "Something funny?"

"Yeah.This."

Kendall had her arms folded across her front which pushed her breasts up giving him a better view, so he didn't really catch on. "What do you mean,this?"

"My mom and I have never just come out here to hang out. Have you and your dad?"

"No," Mark answered innocently, still not getting her point.

"And now, here we all are."

"Well, it is a nice day."

"Okay, well, if you stop staring at my tits for a second and think about it . . ."

Busted. Mark's eyes shot up to meet hers. And, god, what mesmerizing blue eyes they were. Still, he considered what she was saying. "So, you think this was intentional?"

"Has your dad been working overtime a lot lately?" Kendall asked, changing the subject?

Mark thought about it. "Yes. I guess he has."

"You know for sure he's been actually working?"

A shrug was Mark's only reply.

"Has he been in a particularly good mood lately?"

With a frown, he answered, "I suppose he has."

"Would you say that's normal for someone working a lot of overtime?"

"No, it's not."

"And I've noticed the same thing from my mom."

Knowing she was going somewhere with this, but not sure where, Mark allowed his eyes to drift back down to her tits and then her legs. "And I know you have a theory."

"I think they've been seeing each other after work and not really working overtime," Kendall stated flatly.

"Based on what? That we're all out here and that they seem to be in good moods despite working overtime?"

"And on my mother's similar behavior when she starts dating someone new."

"Are you saying she dates a lot of guys?"

"Not an excessive amount, but she does date. What about your dad? Does he date much?"

That just put a damper on the conversation. It also caused Mark to return his eyes to hers, and she could see the change of mood in them. "He doesn't date."

"Really? Why?"

Mark hesitated.

"I'm sorry. If it's too personal . . ."

Remembering his and his dad's conversation just before they stopped, Mark said, "No, we have to move on." Then, to her confused expression, he explained, "My mother died a year ago from cancer."

"Oh." Of all the things she was thinking, Kendall didn't see that one coming. "I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

"No, it's okay. We both know it's time to move on." Mark shrugged. "I guess he just figured it out before me."

"You haven't dated either?"

"Not really," he admitted, somewhat embarrassed. "A couple of school dances, not much else."

Kendall was silent. She had no idea what to say. She didn't know anyone her own age that had lost a parent.

"You and your mom get along well?"

It was Kendall's turn to frown at the turn in the conversation. "Very well. We're all each other have."

"Except for the guys she dates?"

"None of them have lasted. I don't think she's gone with anyone more than three or four months."

"Why is that?" Mark wanted to know.

"They're all assholes."

"Is that your opinion of men?"

"Until I meet one who proves me wrong."

"Wow, that's cynical. So, now, you've automatically assumed that my dad and I are assholes?"

"Well, you do keep staring at my tits."

Mark nodded. "When you got dressed this morning, did you put on clothes that would show off your legs and tits and think to yourself, gee, I hope no one looks at me?"

Rolling her eyes, Kendall countered, "No, I wanted to look nice, and I don't mind people noticing, but I don't like to be mentally undressed."

"I wasn't mentally undressing you—I hadn't got that far yet," he said with a smirk. "I was just noticing."

They both chuckled, relieving some of the tension.

"So, you're mom's a good woman? I mean, she's not a tramp, or out to hook a sugar daddy, or anything like that?"

"Absolutely not." Kendall kept her tone even instead of taking offense. "Why would you ask that?"

"Well, you said her relationships don't last long. Maybe it's her," Mark suggested. "Not the assholes."

"She's been a single woman all my life and has done a great job of raising and taking care of me. And most of all, she's always been there for me. She wouldn't hesitate for a second to cancel a date if I needed something. But aside from the frustration of men who are just interested in her incredible body, many also lose interest when they learn she has a child."

"I see," Mark said, "and I hope you'll give my dad the benefit of the doubt, because if you do, I think you'll find he's not like the others you described. And if your mom is as good as you say, then I would be happy that they might be dating. My dad needs a female companion and I think it's time he finds a good one and it sounds as though your mom could be her."

"Then I will try to give him the benefit of the doubt."

"Thank you."

Mark thought about all of this for a few seconds, and then asked, "So, why do you think they brought us together?"

"Because after my mother dates someone for three or four weeks, it becomes time for her to mention that she has a daughter. That quite often drives them away. But in this case, her having a child is not an issue because he has one also." Kendall spoke authoritatively. "So, the purpose of this outing is for you and I to meet, and my guess is they're hoping we hit it off well enough that they can not only make their relationship public, but so we can all do things together."

Mark looked at her. "You seem to have this all figured out. Although I'm not sure that we're hitting it off."

"I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt."

"You're too kind."

They were silent for a few minutes watching the waves rolling to shore.

"Hey, you want to mess with them?" Kendall asked, a devious grin on her face.

"What do you mean?"

"What if we go up to them and say we know the purpose of this gathering?"

"Okay," Mark agreed with a chuckle.

"Good. Follow my lead."

Kendall stood and walked over to the seawall where George and Donna were talking. Mark dutifully followed, thinking that Kendall was probably very good at getting what she wanted from guys. The sensual sway of her shapely ass nearly gave him an instant hard on. Add to that the creases in the back of her short blue jean skirt from sitting that caused the garment to rise higher in the rear and it was all he could do to keep his serpent from rising. Though his attention was focused on her sexy legs, he did have the presence of mind to notice that their parents abruptly stopped talking when they approached, lending credence to Kendall's theories.

George and Donna both smiled as their children approached.

"Hey, you two," Donna said as though it had been a while since they had spoken instead of the fifteen or so minutes it had been. "How's it going?"

"Well, I guess that depends," Kendall said.

Donna frowned and glanced at George then back. "Depends? On what?"

"Does this mean you guys will not be working any more unnecessary overtime?"

Mark wanted to bust out laughing as their parents's expressions turned into ones that looked as though they both ate a part of the same sour canary.

George cleared his throat nervously as Donna asked, "What does overtime have to do with anything?"

"Well, I have to admit that this was a pretty clever scheme to tell Mark and me that you two are dating."

At first, the co-workers were obviously stunned, but within seconds, Donna started laughing, and by chain reaction, George, Mark, and finally, Kendall joined in.

Donna reached out and pulled her daughter to her with a hug. "That's my girl." After the laughter died down, she added, "So, what do you think about it?"

Kendall pretended to hesitate.

Oh, shit, she's going to do it, Mark thought.

But then she said, "We'll give you the benefit of the doubt."

Mark merely rolled his eyes.

Donna raised her eyebrows and smiled. "Well, thank you. I'm glad you approve."

"Well, this was easier than I thought," George commented.

"Why did you guys think you had to go through this elaborate scheme just to tell us you were dating?" Mark asked.

The parents looked at each other and shrugged. "Just thought it might be easier," George offered.

"You didn't think we were old enough to be told straightforward?" this from Kendall.

Standing beside Kendall gave Mark a good view down her low-cut top. "That was for my benefit," he surmised. "My dad wasn't sure I was ready for him to see other women."

"Well, I . . . I, I just . . . didn't . . . I—"

"It's okay, dad, don't worry about it. It's cool. I'm happy for you."

Not to be outdone, Kendall added, "And I'm happy for you, mom."

"Well, since this is going better then we expected, does anyone feel it's too soon for us all to go out and have a nice dinner?" George asked. "Maybe one of those nice seafood places down the road?"

"I'm game," Mark quickly answered. He didn't want to let go of these two beauties just yet. "Kendall?"

"Sure, why not."

* * *

The dinner was an extremely enjoyable event—as though the four had done it a hundred times. They sat outside overlooking the water, and if the food and company wasn't grand enough they were treated to a stunning sunset over the lake. The table was rectangular instead of square, which meant they sat two and two facing each other. Interestingly, Mark and Kendall sat next to each other with Donna opposite the former and George across from the latter.

For Mark, it was perfect. He could glance left and glimpse daughter's great legs—which she wasn't too careful about covering—or look forward down the front of mother's low-cut tank top. He wondered if Kendall was stealing looks at the huge bulge in his pants.

He noticed his dad's left arm spent a lot of time in his lap, but something told Mark that it was not just proper etiquette and good manners. Son toyed with the idea of accidentally dropping a utensil so he would have to lean over under the table to retrieve it so he could see how father's hand was really occupied. Mark had no doubt that George's digits were performing a little dance on Donna's lap. As mom was constantly grinning and smiling, she was obviously enjoying the "attention."

Conversation was random, mostly getting-to-know-you topics, and more specifically, about the teens since George and Donna had been seeing each other. The only item of discomfort had been when Kendall very politely asked, "If I'm not out of line, and I mean no disrespect, but I was just curious about your wife."

"Kendall!" Donna said. "That's not any of our business."

"It's okay," George said, having removed his hand from underneath the table and patting Kendall's, which was resting next to her plate, and surprising both the young girl and his son. With a forced smile, the father noted, "This is in a sense our coming out party. We've mourned that wonderful woman for over a year, and while we still love her and miss her very much, it's time for us to move on. I know it's what she would have wanted, wouldn't you agree, Mark?"

"Absolutely," the son answered, he hoped not as eagerly as it sounded to him, and further hoped he was not thinking with his aching hard on.

"That includes," George added, "not avoiding the subject." So, he told them about his wife's two-year struggle, first with ovarian cancer that her doctors thought had been caught in time allowing her to return to her normal life, and then, a year later, a battle with breast cancer that lead to a return of the ovarian cancer. The combination of the two was a fight she could not and did not win.

Seeing the sadness in his face, which Donna comforted by hugging him, and the subdued expression marring Mark's features—not to mention the loss of his boner—Kendall became deeply apologetic. "Oh my, I'm so sorry I put a damper on our evening."

Their meals being served provided a timely interlude for everyone to regain their composure.

Finally, George broke the silence by saying, "You need not be sorry, Kendall. I actually feel much better having talked about this." He took a moment to glance westward, noticing that the sun had begun its fiery kiss of the horizon. Calling everyone's attention to it had the added benefit of changing the subject.

The evening gradually returned to its festive intent, Mark got his boner back, and all parted company looking forward to another get together soon.

* * *

"Well, what do you think?" George asked his son on the ride home.

"Wow, dad, for your first swing after being benched for a while, you really hit a home run," Mark responded enthusiastically. "Donna is really hot."

George was sporting wide grin on his face. "Thanks. But what about Kendall? She's a chip off the old block."

"She's alright," Mark answered in an unexcited tone. "Problem is, most girls who look like her are very stuck up, but I didn't get any sense of her one way or the other. On the other hand, she was sensitive in asking about mom."

"Did that bother you?"

"It kind of caught me off guard," Mark admitted. "But I thought her interest was genuine."

"You think you'd like to date her?"

"Why? Are you trying to set me up?"

"No, no, of course not. It's just that I haven't seen you show much interest in other girls for a while."

"I've had interest," Mark corrected, shaking his head. "It's just been subtle and I haven't really acted on it. But to answer your question, it would be too weird what with you dating her mother. Besides, I'm just not sure about her."

RonCabo
RonCabo
2,044 Followers
12