In The Shadow of The Moon Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sleepwell chuckled at that comment. It was very true; magic was a realm of passions on overdrive. Medlinya smiled to herself and looked down at the cards in her hands, she quickly swapped two out.

"So I noticed you have been meddling, a word never so more appropriately named."

Medlinya nervously flung her hair back from her face. She had been slightly embarrassed when that word had come into play. "I didn't meddle, I simply nudged, aggressively, but nudging none the less. She needed it!"

"Hey no need to get up in arms about it; I agree with you. It was totally necessary; it needed to happen. Just when they walked back in I could sense you all over them. Victoria had quite the hangover from what you pulled on her."

"Well I can only hope that will help her remember. She has to remain open. It's the key to getting through this...whatever this is or will be...might be?" She sighed in frustration. She couldn't see everything. She saw what was necessary, saw what her goddess needed her to see; otherwise it was just a blur of images.

"You still don't know what's going on either? I'm getting frustrated with the whole debacle. This magic is old; something before my current conscious recollections. I don't know how to help and I can only hope..." She paused staring at the cards in her hand "Oh! This is useless, I fold. I can't concentrate anyway. I don't know why you insist on playing this game."

Sleepwell sent the cards away with a flick of her mind and settled back in the chair.

"There is something we are both missing; we were drawn here for a reason. Drawn to these events for some purpose, but both of us are blind to it. What is the point of us being here then?!?"

Medlinya reached out to calm her ancient friend, but her hand fell short. She felt the caressing touch of her Goddess. It was a warm caress of her cheek. She looked over to see the same look on Sleepwell's face. They both opened themselves up to the contact.

You are both here because it is meant to be. At all great climaxes in history you two have met on the battle field to act as my champion's guardians. Even in the early days before you liked each other you came together at times of war.

Their minds were flooded with images they remembered and ones so old they had forgotten. Eons past, back to times when their animosities for each other had not yet worn away, but still they met in battle, joined their collective forces.

You two were born of twin stars. From the time I created you, your friendship was destined. Your two realms are deeply intertwined for you each fulfill a need the other cannot. You are here because it is time again.

Again they saw. This time it was the universe at its beginning. First created was the dark space, an empty void that held so much potential. Within it was created light, stars and planets that pushed back the darkness, displaced it until it was no longer seen as the potential. No the creators gaze was fixed on the lighted points and all it would grow to be.

That was my brother and I. We had no names; we were simply a string of complex descriptions. Still as it is with all children, my brother felt no need for another and regretted my creation. He sought to destroy all that I worked into life. Where I created life, he sent darkness to destroy it. At first there were obvious things...

Again images flooded their minds; images of first life across many worlds and dimensions, walking from oceans, stepping from magma and drifting from the darkness of space. Just as quickly as it began it ended. The new life was tossed into stars, bombarded by space debris and drowned in darkness.

Then it all stopped and for many years my new life was allowed to flourish, but one day they simply dropped, their spirits fled. My brother had spent those years creating death. For in those days no life ended, it continued on, until that day. My brother created diseases, murder, cruelty, hatred, entropy. My brother created the word end in a world that had only known beginning. He had woven it into the very being of any and every creature I had ever created.

Medlinya frantically sought out Sleepwell's hand. They grasped each other tightly as the memories came again. Creatures, once so vital and alive, turned to darkness, created weapons, began wars.

That was the day my brother and I began this fight. He started a war of his own. For in all his years of tampering, he had forgotten the ways of creating life, now he could only create ends. He used life that I had made and twisted it to his own dark purposes. Thusly he took over worlds that I had populated and anywhere my light touched his darkness consumed it. For a very long time I refused to do what I was created to do. I refused to bring light to the darkness, for everywhere I turned he was there. So the universe fell to darkness, no new life was created and that that existed was left to destroy itself.

Medlinya couldn't help the tears that burned hot trails down her cheeks. The universe she saw ripped at her heart.

That, my children, is when I created you, well the sisterhood that is. Swaddled in darkness I created you from seven stars. I crafted your spirits and gave you great power. I scoured your spirits and found the strength in what I had previously conceived a weakness. I gave you the power to exist beyond the end, I gave you the power to ignore the end and exist anyway and for a long time I kept you safe, swathed in the light of my being and I waited. Then the day came that I knew it was time to begin again. I found worlds in different planes and different existences and different timelines. I wove you in as guardians and protectors. Still if I left these worlds, they would be consumed again by the darkness. I could not let the worlds out of my light and that meant that I couldn't create new life. In order to do that I had to give in, to allow the darkness to exist in the life that I created, but I also had to give it the same potential I gave you.

They watched as the scenes played out in their mind. They watched as their creator diligently worked at creating these new lives and not just on one or two planets, but on billions. She created the potential, the good and the bad, on countless planets.

Then I split myself, took a physical form on or near each of these worlds. Then I split you as well and set you to guard them; to be the protectors of my champions, protectors of those who chose the light. Every time a new life comes into being, you are called there. Every time a battle surges you are called there. It is an unending cycle, because I built my new life to persevere. They fight for their right to exist. That is what was missing before.

Medlinya marveled at the story that unraveled before them. It was mesmerizing. Who got to know the story of how they came into being? It was fascinating and ...

...A confusing complicated mess. But much of life is. It is messy and complicated. It was a hard fought battle, but there it is. That is the reason you are here, because this is another battle and you have been called here to defend my children. My brother still fights to overtake these worlds, to turn my life forms into the mindless dark beings. To make them those same creatures that now run the worlds he so long ago stole from me. That is what the dark magic is. It is his power, his ability to corrupt. I can't tell you everything, because you would not understand. My logic extends beyond that which you understand, but know that I have set things in motion that will allow us to win this fight.

But in order to do that you must meet the challenges he has placed in you path. When he discovered you were impervious to his twisted creations, he sought to destroy you another way. He was crafty and clever in making it something that seems so natural to you. You are millennia old, but what do you remember of your early days?

They thought hard for a moment, but the further back they went, the less detail they could remember. They kept pushing further and further back. Medlinya could remember a great many things, things that had nothing to do with her personal history. She could see the full life cycle of a person from 312 B.C., but she couldn't manage to see her own history beyond a millennium. Her past was mired in darkness. Sleepwell, met with the same darkness, attempted to clear it away, but found it insubstantial, there was nothing she could do. Wasn't that the way of time? Memories faded and that was just the way things were?

No, it isn't. There was a time when you could recall anything and everything you had ever experienced. But your re-creations, your rebirths, he manipulates them. It is a weak point in your beings. When you were created you were incredibly powerful, you held the heart and power of a star. You had the lifetime, not only of that star, but of every life it would ever and could every bring light to. You are infinite and thusly so was your power. As long as you could think of it, you could do it. But over the ages he removed the memories of the powerful things you did. He took away your origin, made it a mystery until you were more like the life you were protecting than the stars that protected them. I cannot simply give you those memories back, I have tried, but it burns you out and simply starts the process all over again. But I think if you do it. Work back yourself, destroy the darkness and seek out those memories, that dormant power, I think you can become as you once were.

"If you can't give us the knowledge, how can you help us? If this is a war, you can't spend the time necessary to guide us through..." Sleepwell began.

"...any type of meditation or regression. If Sleepwell's magic won't work and I can't see her past or mine, what else can there be?" Medlinya finished.

It's simple, not as complicated as you are thinking. In the beginning we were a string of visual descriptors. We had no need for language, all communication was...existed on a higher level. As you grew intermingled with each other, you named each other, all seven of you. You named yourselves in star song and solar wind; named yourself in every language that existed amongst life forms. You had a name in dark magic, leaf whistle and rock groan. That name, your original name, has the power to cut through the blocks in your memory.

Sleepwell contemplated the idea. The power of a name was well documented in all magical lore, but to find such a name would take deep introspection, years of deep introspection. There was no way her goddess would grant her that information. To learn ones true name required more than a simple request.

You are wrong child. I would give you that information willing and will do so, but first you must understand the nature of the blocks in your mind. They aren't some dark magic to overcome like that which was in Victoria and is in her father and a large number of my wolf children. No this magic is very simple. Every time you transferred consciousness, the memories of the new overwhelmed the old. The older they are the deeper they were repressed, the harder it will be. This task I set you is not an easy one, but I see no other way.

They both waited and their name roared into their minds. It crashed upon then in wave after wave, but it wasn't painful, wasn't overwhelming, it didn't swallow them whole. Why would their true name do that? No, it all felt very natural, exhilarating. Within the waves Sleepwell heard Aeliana and Medlinya heard Laelia.

My twin stars, reunited again. Go to work, protect this world.

The contact faded and they were both left in the aftermath with this new knowledge.

*********

Victoria was having a nightmare. Or at least she thought she was. Miranda was screaming chained to a wall naked and bleeding. She kept calling her name, Victoria couldn't respond. It was so real, but it had to be a nightmare. She didn't like the way she could taste the metal, strong on her tongue, smell the tang of blood and sex and she could feel the misery. No, this was not a place of dreams, it had to be real, but it couldn't. As the door to the cell came open with a bang, Victoria and the dream were thrown deeper into confusion as the screams increased in volume as they competed for dominance with grunts and groans.

She pushed herself violently up from the bed, throwing Antony's arm off her and waking him up. There was a firm loud knocking on the bedroom door and Antony looked around confused, before muttering a drowsy, "Come in."

Medlinya and Sleepwell walked in quickly.

Victoria threw off the covers and rushed to the bathroom, she could still smell the blood and sex and her tongue felt coated in metal. She splashed cold water on her face, trying to clear everything away. Miranda, sweet Miranda with the short curly hair and adventurous personality, she hadn't seen Miranda in years, but here she was dreaming about her. She took a deep breath and stared up at the mirror. She looked as tired as she felt, if not more so. She turned to head back into the bedroom. She had been paying no attention to the conversation the mistresses had been having with her mate, but she figured it must be important.

"We would just need it for a week or so. We just need to see more and we need to be away, but close enough at hand that we can help if need be."

Victoria raised a curious eyebrow, but the gesture quickly turned to a spasm of pain as she fell to her knees.

Victoria help me, please. Please, please help me. They're going to kill me. Please. Help.

The agony in the voice was unbearable, there was such pain and misery in her voice she couldn't handle it all. Without thought Antony threw his mind wide open to hers and took on some of the burden. She was cognizant enough to hear his groan of discomfort and tried to pull away, but he wouldn't let her. The message kept repeating in her head. She felt strong arms pick her up, felt the soft bed beneath her and curled up until the words died away.

"Victoria, can you talk?"

Her tongue felt thick and heavy, her head pounded, but she managed a faint, but strong, "Yes."

"What happened, what caused you all that pain?"

"Miranda, she's calling out to me, but how is that possible, not possible not real."

"Your friend, Miranda?"

"Yes."

"Is that even possible? She's on Callahan territory that is hundreds of miles away."

"Yes it's possible, she has your power now and you are more powerful together. Perhaps this new power is tapping into an old bond, strengthening it, enhancing it."

"Can't be real...was a dream...can't be real..."

"Victoria, sweetheart, what can't be real? Show me."

She pulled up the dream and projected it at him. The pain returned as she watched it yet again.

"Victoria stop! I understand." Antony turned to the two mistresses, "She was seeing through her eyes. Somehow she reached out to her and was experiencing exactly was she was feeling. It isn't a dream, it happened to me once. I knew there was an attack on the compound, because one of my thetas was on patrol got attacked and reached out to me. I saw and felt everything."

Victoria opened her eyes, squinting, and sat up.

"I have to get her. She's in danger. They're going to kill her."

"Victoria, take a deep breath. We can't go right now; it's the middle of the night. How about..."

"I am going right now. She has to be rescued. I can't leave her there; I can't leave her like that." Victoria began running over the quickest way to get there. Callahan pack was isolated, even though a car would be faster, they would know she was coming the minute she got close. She would have to run there. She would have to be fast though. She started to move towards the door.

Antony and Sleepwell were in her way. Medlinya's eyes were unfocused; she was seeing things they could not.

"You cannot go by yourself." Sleepwell said.

"You need a plan." Antony followed.

"I can't wait, I have to go." The agony ripped through her as memories pulled up unbidden.

"Victoria, I know how you feel. You have to listen."

"NO! I don't I have to go! Move out of my way or I will do it myself." Antony knew she could, he didn't have her gift as under his control as he would like.

"You will go no matter what? This very minute?"

"Yes, now move."

"No...I will go. I will take some of the betas and thetas, even on our worst days my thetas fight better than Callahan's pack. We will drive in close and then shift and come in from behind. We will get her out. You will stay here and keep the pack safe."

"What the hell kind of plan is that?"

"It's way better than you going lone wolf against a pack with no plan. Besides I have the fighting experience."

"And I don't?"

"That isn't what I am saying. You're good, you know that, but you are tired and after running you would be exhausted. If I go there is one alpha here to protect the pack, plus you can get more sleep. The council gave me leave to deal with the Callahan pack awhile ago; they were causing problems in a border city a couple of months ago. I will handle it, I will save her. You will stay here and stay safe."

Victoria was frazzled she knew it was a good plan, but that didn't mean she had to like it. She begrudgingly took a step back from the door and plopped on the couch. Sleepwell stood guard at the door and Medlinya was still in her trance, she hadn't moved. Victoria listened as Antony mentally reached out to the betas and thetas that would join him. As he got dressed he had cars prepared and the med floor prepped just in case. When his mental orders stopped he walked out of the closet. Dressed in all black, even though he would be shifting, he looked intimidating. Suddenly Victoria's anxiety turned towards him. She didn't want him to get hurt, didn't want to lose him. She was upset at the possibility that it could happen.

"Do you have no faith in my abilities? Just because you trounce me in fencing doesn't mean I can't fight. You have firsthand knowledge of that."

She didn't say anything grumbling things under her breath. He bent down to hug her close, pulling her snug against his body. She would not stop her hands from going up around his neck; would not stop her lips from kissing his. She did not like being left behind, but she did not like seeing him go either. She felt torn, she wanted to rescue her friend, but she wanted her mate safe.

"I will be fine. Don't destroy the compound while I am gone." He kissed her lips one last time and left through the door.

She followed him mentally down the stairs and out to the vans where the men were gathered. She listened as he prepped them, before they all climbed into the vans and drove off. The whole compound had been combat ready for some time, since the wards had gone up and attacks on the other packs had happened. So there was no surprise at how quickly they had gotten out and ready, but never had she thought the fight would be off pack lands. She sighed as she left him to drive the van. She felt his reassurance at the back of her mind, until he focused in on the task at hand.

"Well that's good that he's gone. Now we can get ready for our own battle." Medlinya's raspy voice came out of the silence behind her.

"What?"

Victoria and Sleepwell looked back at her.

"What do you mean 'our own battle'?"

As Medlinya explained the impending attack on the compound, Victoria's agitation grew.

"Antony should have known that! He wouldn't have left..."

"Exactly and he had to leave. I don't know what she knows, but Miranda has something we need. Something we need to know. Antony has to rescue her and we have to defend the compound. Sleepwell if you could get to putting up those wards that strip dark magic, they will be needed and incredibly helpful. You on the other hand," she pointed to Victoria, "you need to block this impending battle from your mind. Antony will catch on to it and turn around. Then Miranda will be lost to us and as I said, we need her."