In the Vineyard Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers

"Well, I'm not on the payroll here, so I guess I can take a break whenever I like."

"Good. We have a nice seat on the deck area up there." He pointed to the raised deck built over the top of part of the cellar.

"Looks great. I would like to freshen up a little."

"Come with me, I'll show you the facilities. Then I'll select something cold and white, and we can sit out and enjoy the view."

By this time, customers were starting to show up, people were milling around, walking in and out of the winery. Todd and Ana walked up and in. Manny had by this time had his fill of wine and was wandering around, taking pictures of whatever caught his eye. Todd, concerned that some of the customers might be upset by the camera, even the photographer himself, with his multiple piercing, showed Manny the cellar door. Todd opened a full bottle of chilled white wine - he opted for a light and fruity blend - which he found more appealing at this point than something like a Chardonney. Todd went through the glass doors on to the deck, and Ana joined him in a minute. Todd was right, it was a nice view, and he was on his best possible behavior, being as polite and tactful as possible. Todd spoke about his wife and his daughters - he carried multiple pictures of them and Ana decided that maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

Manny clumped noisily down the stairs toward the cellar. Miles was relieved to see him, Cassy was becoming more and more forward in the quiet of the cellar. She had started to become physical, touching Miles hands, his shoulder, at any opportunity. "Manny," said Miles. "Where've you been?" Manny was a little surprised by Miles' friendliness, but he quickly figured out that this Miles guy wasn't interested in being alone with Cassy Combs. "Hey, dude, I missed you too. I was hangin' with Scott, who goes to my alma mater." Miles could tell that Manny was mildly drunk. Oh, well, he had sensed the tension between reporter and photographer, and he was glad to have the diversion that Manny provided.

"Let me show you some of the barrels," Miles said. He looked at Cassy, not wanting to make her angry. "Is that OK? Do you want pictures of the oak barrels?"

Cassy was annoyed by being interrupted by this drunken Manny. But, she wasn't getting anywhere with Miles and that was also annoying. "Yes, that's fine. You know, I should go find Todd again, otherwise he may be a little upset with me. I told him I would come and find him again."

Miles was torn - should he let her leave and chance Todd leaving a bad impression, or should he ask her to stay? What he really needed was Brandon!

"Todd's busy," said Manny, before Miles could speak. "He's got that wood chop chick to have some wine with him."

Oh, shit, Miles thought. What happened to Jimmy?

Jimmy came back to the shelter house to find Ana gone. He didn't have to look far, he spotted her on the upper deck with Todd. They seemed to be having a good time. Just then, Brandon pulled up, loud rock and roll music blasting from his car stereo.'

"Where've you been? I just called you."

"Sorry, man. I fell back asleep after you left. I'm ready now. " Brandon was wearing one of his favorite outfits - a western-styled dress shirt made from a print fabric featuring cowboys in various poses on horses, dark blue boot cut jeans, and pointy toed lizard patterned western boots. "Where is she? Is it Cassy Combs?"

Earlier that morning, Brandon, Brandon had asked the name of the reporter, which Jimmy didn't know. Brandon turned out to be a regular reader of Cassy's columns in the Wednesday papers. He was even what you might call a fan.

"Yeah, that's who it is. With some photographer."

"Did you see the article she did on hunting wild mushrooms earlier this year? It was a real masterpiece. Oh, and her visit to France - my mouth just watered when I read her descriptions of food. She has a way of making everything sound so...sensual. I can't believe you don't remember her columns. I'm certain I've read some of them to you."

"She'll be glad to meet you. You could be president of her fan club. I think they're in the cellar."

Brandon turned and walked. Jimmy stared back at Todd and Ana. Miles was going to blame him for this.

Miles was trying to think of some excuse to get away from Cassy and the newly friendly Manny when, to his relief, he heard the sound of footsteps. "Anybody here?" asked a voice that sounded like Brandon's.

"We're back here, near the oak barrels. As Brandon neared, Miles tried to think of an excuse for a quick exit. He didn't need to worry.

"Cassy Combs!" Brandon absolutely burst into the room with energy. "I'm so, so, so glad to meet you in person. And so pleased to have the opportunity to spend some time with you!"

Cassy was taken aback. She eyed Brandon to see if he was pulling her leg. Satisfied that he was for real, she extended her hand. Brandon took it, gave it a quick kiss, and spread his arms. "May I embrace you? I feel like I've known you forever." Cassy nodded, and Brandon clasped her close, pecking her on each cheek. He dropped his arms and stepped back. "Your picture doesn't do you justice. My, you are lovely."

Miles was suddenly reminded of the fact that Brandon had been a theater major before flunking out of college. Cassy was beginning to be enthralled, and Brandon began quoting from her most recent columns. Miles excused himself with barely any notice from the others. Brandon would keep her occupied for ages, he thought with some pleasure, mounting the steps leading back into the retail portion of the winery building.

Miles went out the door and spotted Jimmy without Ana. He waved and headed toward him, noting that Jimmy didn't look especially happy to see him.

"Hey, man, its not my fault. I left for a few seconds, to find out where the hell Brandon was."

"What isn't your fault?"

"Look up."

Miles followed Jimmy's pointing arm to see Todd Formby and Ana on the upper deck, laughing and drinking glasses of wine. Miles looked back at Jimmy, but didn't say anything. He started back through the winery.

"Ana, you are delightful," Todd said. "Bright, funny, attractive. It's such a pity."

Unseen by Todd and Ana, Miles opened the door to the deck. He stopped and listened before intruding.

Ana was taken by surprise. "You feel sorry for me?"

"Ana, Ana. A woman as sophisticated as you should know better." He leaned closer. The wine was having a loosening effect. "I know why you're here. And, for your sake, for the sake of my business associate and good friend Greg Romano, I am compelled to speak with you. Do you know anything about this Miles character you are involving yourself with? " Without waiting for her answer he added, "Do you know the truth about my poor misguided brother and Jimmy Beaumont? Ana" He clicked his tongue. "What type of a crowd have you gotten yourself involved with? Of course, I have never had the pleasure of meeting your parents, but, believe me, I am quite tempted to have a discussion with Chester Van Meter about my concerns. " He gave her what he thought was a fatherly look. "For your own sake, of course"

Ana looked at him sharply. Todd had suddenly gone from charming to almost offensive. She said, icily, "I believe I know all there is to know about Miles Delong. And, I am grown up enough to pick my own friends." She was growing angry as his words sunk in. 'And, for you to speak that way about your own brother! He's entitled to live his life his way. " She took a quick drink. "Frankly, if Brandon and Jimmy are in love and treat each other well, which is how it appears to me, then they are so much better off than so many of the so called normal couples in the world!" She finished the glass of wine. "Thanks, Todd for the break. I'm certain my time would be better spend somewhere else right now."

Miles closed the door quietly and walked back into the winery. Scott watched him with some amusement. He looked at Scott.

"Not a word. I just came in here to check on sales so far today. That's all."

"Whatever, man. You're the boss."

Ana stood up and slammed the glass down on the table. She turned around and walked through the glass door, still angry. She didn't even see Miles and started toward the front door.

"Ana," he called. She turned. "I finally have a break." He could see that she was still upset, but he decided to ignore it. "Would you like something cold?"

She was fighting back tears. "I'm fine, thanks. I don't need a drink, not now."

She was still standing near the door. Miles looked around, just a few people milling about, no real crowd. He walked over to her. "I missed you. Its' been what, at least an hour." She smiled in spite of herself. "At least," she said. "Miles, I was talking to Todd, and he was such a....."

Miles took his finger and put it across her mouth. "No talk of Todd. I don't care. And, you can't come up with any insult I haven't used a few hundred times myself. Agree?" She nodded and he moved his finger. "I know a better use for those lips." He leaned down and started to kiss her. She pulled away. "What will people think? " She whispered. "We're in a public place!"

He leaned toward her and whispered back, "They'll think I can't keep my hands off you. And, I don't care if everyone knows that." He raised his voice as he spoke and people started to look. He went back to kissing Ana, and she let him, this time. She was intent on the kiss when a bright light shone for a second.

"Gotcha!" It was Manny, with a flash camera. He had just come up the steps from the cellar. Miles looked up initially upset, but seeing it was Manny, kept himself in check. He was developing some liking for Manny, who he saw as genuine, albeit weird. "Hey, my man, Miles. The bitch, I mean, Cassy, she wants some pics of the cute winemaker" he stopped and pointed," that would be him," he explained to Ana," by those oak barrels. "And, I've got to be honest with you man, I can make it look beautiful. I wouldn't lie to you, man. Give me ten, fifteen, and we're through. " He looked at Miles with a knowing glance. "That fag, I mean, that guy you hooked her up with, she's crazy for him. Before you think anything, I am as politically correct as the next person. I don't care who does who, as long as they don't make me watch. Anyway, she is just mooning over that dude. Let's get these photos over with, then you can go back to tasting you luscious lady there. " He looked at Ana with an admiring glance. "I'll bring him right back to you, don't you worry," he winked at her. Ana couldn't help liking Manny. Despite his punk and worldly appearance, he had a natural honesty that was charming.

Miles looked at Ana. "I won't go, if you say. I don't want to get caught up with Cassy again."

Manny broke in. "Man, I'm telling you. Its under control. I won't let you let your lady down."

Ana nodded at Manny. "Don't worry, Miles. I'll be waiting." Miles gave her another quick kiss and walked away with Manny.

Ana went back outside, and regretted not getting Miles' key. She would have liked to start a shower. Jimmy accosted her.

"Hey Ana banana. I saw you leave Todd pretty quick like.

"Don't get me started. What a Jeckyl and Hyde character. If I don't see him for a year, it will be too soon!"

Jimmy tried to be casual. "So, did Miles find you?"

"He has to do a few more pictures. But the reporter really likes Brandon." She looked at Jimmy, laughing. "At this point, you should be more worried than me. I understand that he's pushing all of her buttons."

Jimmy laughed back. "He's good at that. " He looked serious. "Brandon is a great with all sorts of people. He's a natural charmer. Part of what I like about him. I, myself, am more of an acquired taste."

"I like you just fine. Just the way you are."

Ana didn't realize at first that she had quoted a song title. Jimmy started to hum, and she tried to stop him. "No, I didn't mean it sappy like that. I meant that you are a really nice guy. " She saw him making faces. "You have been to me, anyway." Ana had a sudden thought. "Hey, do you want to really help me out? Do you have a key to Miles place? I mean where he lives, not his office?"

"But of course.'

"Seriously?"

"Who do you think cleans up the place after those while parties?" Jimmy looked sheepish. "Did you hear about that?"

"Yes, of course. I heard all about the poker party and its after effects. And," she looked at Jimmy purposefully, "I know all about Miles Davis Delong."

Jimmy nodded. "I'm glad he finally told someone. He didn't even tell me. I got it from Brandon, who got it from Todd, then I asked Jack enough questions to get the story straight."

"Todd just alluded to something. And, come to think of it, so has Greg. How do they know, if Miles hasn't told anyone? Miles said that someone was trying to get information about him - did he mean Todd or Greg?""

Maybe I shouldn't speak out of turn."

"Speak, Jimmy. You are my pipeline to the truth."

"Ok, here's the deal. After the winery took off, after Miles, and with the help of your humble servant, it started to make a profit, a serious one, Todd, who was prior to that time working hard to be a professional leach, " Jimmy couldn't hide his disdain for an instant, "Todd hired a professional detective, and I like the old movie jargon, a 'dick' to investigate Miles. Todd went to his father with 'the facts' but his father aced him. He already knew more of the facts than Todd's dick had uncovered. " Jimmy stopped. "I liked the sound of that. More than Todd's dick uncovered." He looked at Ana. "I always wondered how he had those kids anyway. Todd looks to me like a guy whose dick doesn't work at all. But I digress...So, Todd tried to get rid of Miles then, but it didn't work. But he did insist, and his father agreed, you know, love is blind, that they go through the books monthly in case there were discrepancies. There your buddy Greg comes in. So, each month, Todd, Greg, Jack and Miles go through the books. And, believe me, Todd questions every expense, and tries to take anything 'unnecessary' out of Miles' percentage. At first, Miles went along, trying to be cool, but then he realized that Todd was screwing him out of his money. So, now, Miles doesn't spend money without a prior vote. So there are no monthly surprises. That's why we didn't get our replacement must pump. We had agreement for a certain dollar amount - if we had gone beyond that and bought a new one, believe me, Todd would have taken it in total out of Miles' money."

"So, what do you get?"

Jimmy looked embarrassed. "I don't really need the money. I did this at first for fun, then later, I kept hanging around 'cause of Brandon. Now, it's sort of become a second home for me. Hey, I've got those keys. Take my advice, move your car over to the other lot. Do you know where it is?"

Ana nodded.

"Meet me over there in a minute."

Ana got into her car and drove across the parking lot, parking next to Miles' truck. Jimmy was already there, and opened the front door.

"You'll be ok? I don't want to leave my keys. Can you stay inside until Miles gets here? He doesn't like to leave the door unlocked."

"I can use the time to get cleaned up. I hope he's not too long."

"I think he'll get away as fast as he can. I'll see you a little later on."

Ana carried her overnight bag inside, then realized that she didn't even know where the shower was. It couldn't be upstairs where the bed was, the loft area was small and had no sign of a doorway. On an impulse, Ana checked the kitchen. There was a door beyond the cabinets. She opened it and found a small but functional bathroom with a tile walled shower in the corner. There were multiple hooks for clothes, a small shelf unit stocked with towels and washcloths, and a mirror hanging over the sink. As she opened the shower door to start the water, she saw another small extendable mirror inside the shower itself. Shaving mirror, she thought. Even though Miles doesn't seem to spend much time at that.

She pictured him as she had seen him most often, with a few days growth of beard, although he did keep it neatly shaped. She had never been attracted to men with facial hair, but the blondish mustache seemed to fit Miles face. And, she like the feeling of it when he kissed her, or when he had moved his mouth around her other body parts...Ana started to drift back to last night's activities, then forced herself to think about the present. She remembered the wine in the cooler, and went back out of the bathroom. Leaving the door open, she removed the cooler from her car and carried it inside, locking the door behind her. She put the bottle in the refrigerator, and dumped the ice, now mostly water, into the sink. The shower was still running, and she unpacked her dress and draped it on a hook. It was a made of a sheer, gauzy cotton fabric, and the steam from the shower would remove any of the irregular wrinkles. Ana undressed, folding her clothes and placing them in a plastic bag she'd brought for her clothes. She would carry them back to her car after the shower, she didn't want to leave any sign of a mess in the sparsely furnished living space. A real bachelor pad, she thought to herself, and wondered if Miles would ever be the type of man to want to get married, and start a family. She surprised herself with that thought - she, who was determined to put career first and wouldn't even discuss having children with Greg. Maybe, she reflected, it made a difference whose children. She shook her head and stepped into the shower. Soap and shampoo were on a hanging rack. She wet her hair first, then rinsed the sweat and grime from her body - working with the vines and the wood left her feeling pretty dirty.

Miles extracted himself from this photo session with minimal difficulty. Even as he was posing for the photos, he could hear Brandon cooing over Cassy.

"Now, what did you think of those? One with oak, and one without. Everything else the same, same vintage, all pressed together, but then separated into oak barrels or stainless. And, that was not French oak, by the way. We like to use American, in fact the cooperage is only about a hundred miles away." Brandon interrupted his wine talk. "You know, Cassy, I wanted to tell you something. Your columns from San Francisco a couple of years ago. I personally never wanted to go to California, but you absolutely inspired me, so I went last spring. And, I had just a fabulous time!"

"Where all did you go?"

Brandon listed off places, all of which she seemed to know intimately, including the chefs and the menus at the restaurants, various artist and literary figures, wine store owners and the like. She was clearly enjoying the attention, and Brandon seemed to be genuine. He could be charming in normal circumstances, but he was really on right now. And, Cassy found the mix of wine information and praise for her work more enjoyable than the tour by itself.

Manny nodded at Miles. "You're done, man. That's what I need . He began folding up his tripod and putting cameras into various cases. "I'll finish up at the cookout." He looked at Cassy. "Hey, Cass. We're on for eating at the second sitting so we photo the first, right?"

Cassy was in mid sentence with Brandon. She looked mildly annoyed, the replied, "That's right. Oh, and Brandon, but the way, I'd prefer not to make the long drive back home - I live on the far north end of the city. Is there anywhere around here to stay?"

Brandon nodded. "There are all flavors of chain motels a few miles away, nearer campus. But, there are also a couple of bed and breakfasts, if you're a little more...adventurous. I'd be happy to make some calls for you."

"Great, " Cassy said. Miles was not particularly pleased to hear that she'd would possibly be around all evening, but it did seem that things with Brandon were going well. Better an interference for him and Jimmy than me and Ana, he thought. After all, they practically live together and this is still sort of my first date. He excused himself and went back through the cellar. He stopped on the way at a wine rack with a padlock on the front. It was a rack of some of Miles' private stock. He unlocked the door and removed a bottle of wine. Dusting it off, he noted the marker written label - Marsanne, last year's aged in stainless steel, not oak. He had just a few vines of Marsanne and usually used the small amount of wine for blending. He had made a few gallons of it straight last year, and found it enjoyable although he still thought it could use improvement. Of course, Miles thought to himself, he thought everything could use improvement. He locked the rack and went back to the winery retail area. There were a number of people milling about, and Scott was going through a tasting with about ten people. Miles stopped and Scott introduced him as the winemaker. Miles shook hands all around, then answered some questions for a few minutes. He was getting edgy at this point, worried about Ana, and excused himself.

SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers