In the Vineyard Ch. 13

Story Info
The story's conclusion.
8k words
3.45
13.3k
0

Part 13 of the 13 part series

Updated 10/08/2022
Created 06/25/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers

"Where do you want me to take you, Jack?" Miles asked as he drove Jack away from the hospital.

Jack looked over at Miles, and it was a determined look that Miles was not familiar with. "As for where we're going, and where we're driving too, we have several stops. It depends on how things develop. First, Miles, we need to stop at my apartment. There is some paperwork there that we need to look at."

The distance from the hospital was short, and in a few minutes Miles was pulling Jimmy's wagon into the parking lot. "Let's go in," Jack said, "I have some of the wine you brought me, left over from yesterday. I'll need it, and you may too".

Miles helped Jack out of the wagon, and helped him open his apartment door. He could not remember Jack being this somber, ever. Once inside Jack's apartment, sitting on the middle of the kitchen table, Miles saw a thick stack of legal papers. From the volume of the documents, Miles guessed that something was in the works. He wondered if yesterday's meetings produced a change.

"Jack," said Miles, "what did you do, sell the place?"

"Sit down, Miles" Jack said as he himself sat down.

"Sell it? In a manner of speaking, yes, but it's more like a transfer of shares from one company to another. I'm out, they're in, and this way we avoid tying the winery up in my probate estate."

"Are there new owners?"

"It's another corporation, and the main promoter is my son Todd with a new group of investors. Brandon will become the front man at the winery, like you suggested, but as for the actual shareholders, I don't know. But what I do know is that effective today, the new company is in charge. Miles, other than my sons and those directly involved, you are the first to know".

"It's what I expected," Miles responded. "I'm not surprised."

"You will be," Jack said. "Maybe we should rest on a glass of wine and think about this. It's going to be harder than you think".

At the same time, Ana was partnered with Uncle Chester, picking Cabernet Franc at the winery. She'd been clipping grapes, and filling lugs, for the couple of hours since Miles had left. And it was a couple of hours since her last sip of coffee, and she needed...a break.

"Chester, I need a short breather. I'll take five minutes, if it's ok with you. There are some things I need to move into Miles' place that are in my car. I'll be right back."

Ana walked to her car and removed the duffle bag full of her belongings that she planned on leaving with Miles. She walked across to Miles' living quarters. Searching through her purse, she found her key. When she put the key in the slot, she was surprised to find that it wouldn't work. That's odd, Ana thought. I used it yesterday. I know it works. Ana tried the key again. No luck. Confused, Ana put her things back in her car, and used the restroom in the winery.

Miles grabbed two glasses, the same glasses he had washed the day before with Ana, and an open bottle of late harvest Seyval. After pouring Jack and himself a glass, he sat back down.

"The wine is very sweet," Jack said as he sipped.

"Yeah, nice in the morning, when your taste buds are fresh".

"There's more here than a sale agreement," Jack said. "In that stack of papers, as part of the 'arrangement', there is a proposed injunction. And Miles, the injunction is against you. If you offer any opposition to the sale, a temporary injunction will be filed, and it will be filed this morning. One way or another, you are barred from the winery, and if you return there, you will be arrested."

"What?" Miles screamed. "Christ, every vine there has my blood on it. Barred from the winery? That's ridiculous! And what about my contract? You can't do this to me!"

"That's the whole point, Miles. I am doing something for you, and it will prevent others from doing something to you. You are resigning your position at the winery, effective today, and you are waiving any additional compensation. In exchange for your resignation, you will be allowed to retain $25,000.00 of the money you've taken from the cash sales at the winery. And, more importantly, no criminal charges will be filed. That's the deal".

"Jack, criminal charges? What are you talking about?....I didn't..."

"Miles, wise up. When Todd first had his suspicions, he came to me about it. I was hurt, but I got over it. You have your dream of your own winery, you are a great winemaker, and you've made my winery what it is today. But buying even a small winery would cost you a fortune. There is no way you could have ever saved enough, not from what I've paid you. And with Todd and Brandon around, no way for you to stay on after I am gone. The steak sales, the cash money, it was dangled under your nose and you succumbed to the temptation. You went for the bait, so to speak. I am sure you hoped that I would never find out, but I did. I accept it, don't lie about it." Jack went on.

"But Miles, Todd's accusations, that wasn't enough for me. I questioned Todd for proof. He was accusing you of theft, of stealing. Apparently without you ever realizing it, they installed tiny video cameras in the supply room, near the cash registers, in your office, hell, there are three in your living quarters! Motion detectors activate each camera. There is very little that you have done, over the past two years, that hasn't been recorded on film."

"I can't believe this...I never..."

"Believe this, Miles, I can tell you the color of underwear your new friend Ana wore on Saturday night. These cameras even have night vision. Denials will do you no good. $25,000.00 is a lot to be allowed to keep, it's generous under the circumstances. You'll loose that too if criminal charges are filed."

Miles was completely blindsided. He felt sick to his stomach.

"Jack, what am I going to do?"

"Miles, I have had my lawyers study the agreements, in confidence. They clearly believe that your resignation is in the best interests of all concerned. We don't want an embezzlement scandal made public, and you don't want your name involved with that type of activity again. So please, Miles, sign the papers, sign the related documents, and let's get on with the rest of our business."

"What are the 'related' documents?

"Mostly forms, Powers of Attorney, agreements that say you'll cooperate, that you'll disclose the location of the lost funds. Not that it's necessary. Your accounts, even the secret ones in your mother's name, have already been frozen."

"Why can't I go back to the winery, Jack? We have two more days of picking. I want to finish the harvest. My things are there, my clothes, my personal stuff. What happens to that? And who will be the winemaker?"

"Miles, all the risk of bringing the harvest in, of making the wine, it falls on the new owners. It's not my business, nor is it yours. After the living quarters have been scoured and searched, your personal items will be set aside and sent to you."

Miles remained in shock.

"We can do this, Miles, without anyone knowing. The terms of your resignation will be kept secret, it's in the agreement. We'll simply say the new owners wanted a new winemaker, and that you've moved on, chasing your dream."

"Won't that waste this year's crop? Who'll press the reds, or work the fermentation?"

"They have someone in mind, until a new winemaker is hired. Dave Ricksteiner, from Willow Hill, he lost his whole crop to frost this year, he's volunteered to oversee the interim takeover. Things will be fine, Dave's an excellent winemaker. After that, there's talk of field grafting most of the hybrids into vinifera. If they do that, there won't be much of a crop for two years".

Miles cared for his vines and his grapes like they were his children. This was devastating. He buried his face in his hands.

"Face it Miles, you've peaked here at what you can do with our grapes and with this climate. You need to move forward with your career, and you should be working with the world's best winemakers. You've already learned all that you can learn here."

Jack took a heavy swallow of the sweet Seyval. His mouth was dry from so much talking. He stood up and slowly walked to his bedroom, and after a few moments, he returned. He had an envelope in his hand, and he placed it on the table.

"This is your airline ticket and boarding pass. Your flight leaves Cincinnati at 7:30 tonight, arrives in Paris at 8:00 tomorrow, their time. You'll then need to catch a connecting Air France flight to Venice, and you'll have an hour to cross over from the international flight section to the EU departure gates. That means, basically, don't drink too much on the plane or you'll be disoriented when you land. The Paris airport is huge. To get to the EU gates, you have to cross the street, or go around, or go underground, and that can be difficult for a stranger at Charles De Gaulle."

"Jack, you're coming at me too fast. You expect me to be in Europe tomorrow morning? And in Venice tomorrow afternoon?"

"Yes, Miles, I do."

"I feel like my whole world is evaporating."

"It's not that way, Miles, not that way at all. When my company was sold, they bought all my shares. I am now a rich man, a rich man who is near death. And my two sons will still own the winery, it will be leased to the new corporation. You will be in Italy, first, to see your wife Mary. Then I expect that you will be looking at small vineyards, as my agent, to either buy or lease vineyard acreage. My lawyers have set up a trust fund and a new corporation that will survive my death. We have several good prospects lined up, small wineries with leasing options for all the acres of Cab Franc that you would ever want or need. Or who knows? You may end up simply buying grapes and being a full time winemaker. You could avoid the risks of farming that way. Miles, I want you to view this as the opportunity you've been waiting for. And I want to make your dream come true."

"But why Italy, and where's this place where I am to call Mary? Aquileia? I've never heard of it."

"Aquileia is a couple of hours east of Venice, off the Autostrada. The drive is easy, but don't drive in Italy until you get used to their highways. Aquileia's also only minutes away from the topless beaches at Grada", Jack said with a grin. "The beaches are a huge tourist draw. It's the most northerly point of the Mediterranean. You'll have plenty of wine drinking customers.

"That DOC wine region extends to the sea. You're to meet a winemaker there, at his estate, who has accommodations for you and your wife Mary. She's staying there now. Call her from Paris when you touch down, she plans on picking you up at the Venice airport. His wine estate is outside of Aquileia, but on the main road. There are incredible Roman ruins, totally mind boggling, in Aquileia that will astound you."

This all sounded like a pep talk to Miles. Was Jack telling the truth, or was this a sales pitch to get him to leave?

"Miles," Jack said, "if the business of wine was a level playing field, and all the hype was dismissed, the Friuli region of Italy would be recognized as producing the best Cab Franc and some of the best Merlot in the world. They've done it for centuries, long before California. Every element is there. The world's largest grapevine nursery - thirty five million vines a year - is located nearby at Rauscedo. It's all geography. The region has a gentle southerly slope toward the Adriatic Sea. Water from the Alps drains in that direction, and then flows in underground streams, until the water reaches the lagoons that stretch from Venice to Grada. That underground water table is one reason for the top quality vineyards in the area. Another reason is climate. Imagine, Miles, no black rot, no mildews, no insects, and no risk of frost damage. And the Friuli winemakers experiment. They are not bound to what Americans think of as traditional Italian grapes. Italy - and this particular part of Italy - is the place for the next generation of great winemakers, and I want you to be there. Miles, you could become a star."

Wow, thought Miles. Jack has obviously worked this through. Miles could feel his dream coming into bloom, although he was still embarrassed for his actions.

"I am sorry Jack. There is no explanation to justify what I have done. But I had my issues with Todd, and maybe it's best that those issues are over now. Looking back, you're right, I had peaked here years ago. It was frustrating building things up, knowing that I would have nothing in the end. Some days I spent more time hustling women than I did with the winery. Now, you're putting a whole new world at my feet. It's a change I need. Thanks for the...nudge."

Miles spent the next twenty minutes signing more forms than he cared to remember. He signed his resignation, he signed releases, he signed and he signed. When Miles finished, Jack produced a $25,000.00 certified check, made payable to Michael D. Long. And he had more.

"Here's your passport, Miles. Your mother sent it to me. You may want to trim up, so that there is some resemblance to the photo."

"We need to keep going," Jack said. "We'll hit Ana's condo next- I know you have a key - where you can pick up your things. Yes, Miles, the traveling bags you packed last night. The film shows you packing. What you don't have, you can buy in Italy. I am giving you a $5,000.00 prepaid Visa card, which should cover your expenses for the entire trip. Assuming, that is, that you do return".

Oddly, Miles felt a huge sense of relief. The conflicts with Todd, his uncertain future at the winery, Jack's plan - he had resolved everything. Yes, he had been looking for a way out for years, and now the door was open. Italy? And with money in his pocket? As Miles let it all sink in, he couldn't believe it. Didn't believe it. He stared at the check, folded it in half, then he placed it in his shirt pocket. He put the Visa card in his wallet. With the money his wife Mary had stashed in Europe, they could start a new life.

Miles led Jack back to Jimmy's wagon, he helped him inside, helped him get comfortable in the seat. As Miles backed the wagon out, Jack sifted through the legal papers.

"Miles, get your cell phone out. Call this number: 614. 221. 0888. It's a law office. When someone answers, give your phone to me."

Miles dialed the number and someone did answer, and he turned the phone over to Jack.

"Jack Formby here. Connect me to Attorney Richard Kinney, please."

"Mr. Kinney? Mr. Long has signed everything, and I have delivered his check to him. The deal is closed. The winery now belongs to your clients. Mr. Long will not be returning to the premises."

"I understand. Thanks for your efforts." Jack handed the phone back to Miles, who was in awe of the developments.

"Are you all right, Miles? Can you drive?"

"I'm fine, Jack. We'll be at Ana's condo in a few minutes. I could use a break, but on the other hand, this puzzle is exciting me. I've never been to Europe, and now I am leaving in a few hours. There are so many things I've heard about it, about France, about Italy, and I am flying there tonight. It's amazing."

Miles pulled into the space in front of Ana's condo. He didn't hesitate for a second about being watched or seen, about whether Greg Romano was overlooking his moves. Frankly, Miles didn't care one way or another about Greg Romano, didn't care about whether Ana and Greg got back together after he was gone. Greg had messed with him - Miles was sure that it was Greg behind the investigation - and he had the pleasure of sleeping with, and running, Romano's wife. It balanced out, Miles thought.

Miles entered Ana's condo through the front door. Same key, both doors, he figured right. In a jiff, he had gathered his clothes, which were still packed. He looked around, thinking of grabbing a souvenir, something to remember Ana by. What was the point, Miles thought? What difference does it make? Miles took the key off of his chain, tossed it on the floor, locked the door from behind, and exited through the same door he entered.

"Can we stop at the winery, Jack?"

"No. Absolutely not. It could blow everything, and you wouldn't make the Cincinnati airport in Covington Kentucky. There will be rush hour traffic, you can't take chances."

"Jack, I need to see Ana. She has a big thing about saying goodbye face to face. I'll stay in the wagon, if that makes a difference."

"Call her cell and tell her to meet you outside the winery entrance. That's as close as you can come."

Miles drove toward the winery. For several minutes, Jack was quiet. And he seemed very tired. It was as if Jack was suffering, or under medication. Miles drove on, dialing Ana's cell phone number as he drove.

Ana picked up her singing cell phone. Earlier, she had changed the ringer to play Sinatra's version of 'Send in the Clowns'. She loved the song and enjoyed listening to a few bars before answering. Ana recognized Miles' cell number, and answered.

"Miles? Where are you?"

"I am still with Jack, Ana. There have been some developments. Will you please take a break and meet me at the Tim Horton's restaurant, the one at the intersection near the winery?"

"Why don't you come here? The pickers have been waiting on you, we are about ready to start lunch. Jimmy has put out a feast."

"Well...I need to drive Jack to more appointments. If I show up for lunch, I'll drink too much and never leave. Please Ana, Jack and I have a lot of stops to make today, places to go. Meet me in fifteen minutes, ok?"

"Miles, my key wouldn't work. The same key that we used last night on your door, it won't work. Something is wrong with the lock, I think. But I'll be there in fifteen. Be careful driving."

"You too."

As Miles ended his cell phone call, he was already at Tim Horton's. He knew that he would need an extra few minutes to collect his thoughts. What could he say to her? That he was leaving that night for Europe? And how much information would it take before Ana realized that Miles was exactly as Greg Romano said he was. While still lost in thought, Ana's yellow car pulled up beside them, on Jack's side.

As Ana stepped out from her car, she noticed Miles' bags in the back of the wagon, the same bags that she had helped him store only hours before at her condo. And she noticed Jack flipping through a pile of legal papers. Miles got out too and walked up to her. Face to face.

"Ana, we need to talk. Let's grab a coffee and...."

"I think so too Miles. You go first. What's going on? Why are your bags in the wagon? What are all those papers Jack has?"

"The winery has been sold, Ana. I have been replaced. That's the short of it. The long of it is that Todd has taken over, taken over completely. I'm out. Can't go back. But it's not all bad. Surprisingly, they have bought out my contract and have given me a great severance package. The package includes a settlement perk - a two week, all expense paid trip to Europe. That's why I retrieved my bags from your place. My plane leaves from Cincinnati tonight. I'll be in Paris about the time the late show comes on here."

"Miles, is that the whole story? Is that why my key wouldn't work? Am I out too?"

"Ana, this has nothing to do with you, not directly at least. My guess is that the new owners would welcome your help, but I don't know. Ana, this changeover is an opportunity for me, a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'll be looking at vineyards, and at wine grape supply and demand at the height of harvest season. Jack has already booked appointments for me at wineries that he is interested in partnering with."

"You're leaving me Miles. I can feel it, I can read it in your face. You're flying to Italy to be with your wife Em. She's probably already established herself there, probably can speak Italian. And, obviously, you have money now. You don't need me anymore."

SLC-Ohio
SLC-Ohio
64 Followers