Inappropriate Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I placed the building and office keys into the manila envelope which already contained my letter of resignation, then sealed the envelope and added a piece of transparent tape to ensure that no one would open it before Dr. Young found it. I then used several of the available thumbtacks to secure the manila envelope to the corkboard on her office door, and turned and walked away.

Daylight was just illuminating the eastern sky when I stepped out of the building. It was a long, slow walk leaving campus, with only a stray cat to witness my passing. I left my academic life behind, purposely passing by Rose's apartment building on my way home.

I had just given up my academic "career" for a student, for someone half my age, for someone young enough that she could have been my own daughter. That weighed heavily upon my shoulders as I stepped into my bedroom and began to undress. Yet, somehow, I knew that this was the right decision, that it would all work out for me – for us – in the end.

I was awoken by my ringing phone, and I knew that it had to be either Dr. Young or Rose. "It's done," Rose said solemnly when I answered the phone. "I just sent an e-mail to all my professors and to the top Administration officials stating that for personal reasons, I needed to withdraw from the university, effective immediately. I included you on the e-mail as well, Dr. Stephenson."

Despite the gravity of the situation, I actually smiled. "I'm just 'Mr. Stephenson,'" I reminded her. "I don't have a Ph.D. Besides, I thought you and I were on a first name basis now, since neither of us are part of the university community now."

"That's okay. You still clearly know more about media than I do. And while we are on a first name basis, I still tend to think of you as 'Dr. Stephenson.' But I'm sure that will change."

"When do you want to fly out to California to start looking for a new place to live?" I asked, purposely changing the subject.

"How about tomorrow, returning Friday? That'll give us two full days to look at various places, and then we can come back and begin packing over the weekend and plan the actual move."

"Okay," I concurred. "I can set up the plane tickets for us and find us a hotel and get us a rental car. What part of California?"

"Bay Area. Berkeley. I've always heard how nice Berkeley is."

"Then that's where we'll start."

"Good," Rose said, and I could hear her smile over the phone. "And..."

"'And' what?" I prompted her.

"At least our relationship is no longer inappropriate, right, Robert?"

My heart felt like it was melting inside my chest. "Right, Rose. It is now quite appropriate."