Inherit My Heart

Story Info
Elizabeth is not her Uncle's heir after all.
5.3k words
4.59
45.5k
59

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/11/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
t0nst3rs
t0nst3rs
150 Followers

The news had hit Elizabeth like a ton of bricks, and she had since walked around dazed. Her uncle, Edmund Ashley, the man who had cared for her since her parents died in the wreck when she was ten, had suffered a massive stroke and passed on. She accepted the sentiments of those who turned out to pay tribute to the Earl, her eyes empty and hollow as she tried her best to be gracious. All she really wanted to do was curl up and cry. He was the last family she had left, as he had never married or had children of his own. The old castle that bore the Ashley family name would now be cold and empty without the sound of the Earl's deep laughter filling the air.

She slumped back in the chair in the office, as she waited for his attorney to enter and read his will. Her uncle hated it when she exhibited poor posture and often chastised her in an attempt to have her become more of a lady. She was proper in many respects. At 25, she had lived at the castle while she attended University, not wanting to leave her uncle on his own. She exuded her mother's maternal instincts in that respect, becoming his caregiver, although he had many servants to cook and clean for him. Staying at the castle also helped to keep her out of trouble. She was curious about the parties that most students attended, and the sex and alcohol that accompanied them. But she kept her nose in her books earning a degree in business, and thus, her legs closed, leaving her virginity intact, a rarity for a girl her age. But, Elizabeth was also a believer in love-true love-the kind her parents had before their death. She remembered the way they looked at each other, as if they were the only people on Earth, and though her tough exterior would keep her from admitting it, she longed for that kind of connection.

She had an intelligence that was unsurpassed, as well as a rebellious spirit. She recalled the time she took her mare, Hilda, out for the night, and told no one of her journey. She camped out and fished, and when she returned the next day, smelling of the day's catch and covered in dirt, her uncle just shook his head. That night they had enjoyed some of the fish she caught and as disappointed as he was in her failure to take up more feminine activities like weaving, he was impressed with her abilities to fish and survive in general.

She cracked a smile at that memory, as a tear rolled down her cheek. The door opened and she quickly sat up straight and brushed it away. Mr. Abbey, the attorney walked in and shook her hand, again offering his condolences. Elizabeth nodded and asked him to be seated. Mr. Abbey opened his briefcase and pulled out a beige folder. He opened it and looked up with her, clasping his hands in front of him. He took a deep breath and began.

"Elizabeth, your uncle loved you very much and always did his best to keep your best interests at heart. He considered you to be like his own daughter."

She nodded, her eyes cast down at her feet.

"He left you a letter here, which I think will clarify things a bit more after we've talked, but right now I have to inform you that you are not your uncle's heir."

Her head shot up in surprise, "What do you mean sir, I am the only living Ashley?"

"Well, yes that is true, but as you know, you uncle was very fond of genealogy and he discovered that there is another individual who is titled, and therefore, they have a rightful claim to your uncle's estate."

Elizabeth just stared at Mr. Abbey, her mouth agape. "Well, who is it then, and if that's so, what about me, this is my home sir, I will not leave my home to some stranger," she said as she stood, her voice raised and cracking, trying to choke back the tears.

"As I said, the letter will explain more. I will leave you to read it and return tomorrow after you have had time to process the arrangement and answer any questions you may have." He handed her the letter that was inside the pocket of the folder and bid her good day.

She stood looking at the envelope, wondering what her uncle had done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Figuring this situation could not get much worse; she ripped the envelope open and proceeded to read.

My dearest Elizabeth,

If you are reading this, then I have passed on. First of all, let me tell you how much of a joy the past fifteen years have been. I love you with all my heart and wish the best for you in life. That being said, I have some news that you will find shocking. In doing research on the family tree, I found out that my cousin, the Earl Chauncey had an illegitimate child with one of his mistresses that was given up for adoption. That child is the legal heir to Ashley castle and all my holdings. However, I want you to be taken care of and to be able to reside in the home that you love, so there is a provision to this contract. The two of you must marry and produce an heir within 15 months of your wedding date, otherwise the contract is null and void and neither of you will receive anything. I know you are asking yourself what I have done, but I truly believe you will be happy and this individual has character that will keep you in line and out of trouble. I only want for your happiness, so please make this work, and do not fail either of us. The individual who is titled and the heir to the Ashley name is Viscount Chase Barrett Chauncey. You may just know him as Chase Barrett. Please find the happiness I know you deserve.

Love,

Uncle Edmund

A wave of nausea rushed through Elizabeth's body, as well as outrage, disgust, and hurt. She could not comprehend how her uncle could do this to her-to ask her to marry and have a child with a man she didn't know, a man she couldn't love. He knew her better than this, how could she ever find love this way? She had to find a way to refuse this situation.

And the name he gave her-Chase Barrett. She only knew of one Chase Barrett-the American singer, the womanizing American singer who was always splattered all over the tabloids. How could her uncle even consider he would make a good husband? Shock and anger still coursed through her system. She ran from the room to try and grab Mr. Abbey, but he was already gone.

She could not eat at dinner and sleep did not come much easier. She tossed and turned all night, tears poking their way from beneath her lids as she tried to figure out why her uncle would do this. The answers did not come and she would have to wait until the morn to rectify this.

^^^^^^^^^^^

"What do you mean there's no way around it, there has to be!" she yelled at Abbey.

"I'm sorry, Elizabeth, but my hands are tied. This is a legal document, and the stipulations are as such. If you refuse, you will lose the castle and the fortune. I wish there was something I could do, but I cannot."

She slumped back into the chair and rubbed her palms over her face. "Mr. Abbey, this is 2007, why would my uncle set me up to marry a man I have never met, and who is considered to be the playboy of the Western world? This guy has money anyway, he doesn't need my uncle's. How am I even going to get a hold of him? I can't marry him, I just can't do it. I want to marry for love, not for convenience." She was rambling, not really expecting answers to her questions.

"My dear, I cannot tell you of your uncle's reasons. I was shocked when he told me of this arrangement a couple years ago. But, Mr. Barrett has been contacted, and made aware that his presence is needed here in England. He has not been made aware of the depth of the situation, but he will be here later this afternoon and be briefed then.

"Great. This just keeps getting better and better."

"I expect that you will be a gracious host to him as you get better acquainted," Abbey stated.

"I'm not getting acquainted with him or anyone. I'd rather live in the woods!" Elizabeth turned on her heel and stormed out of the office. She ran outside to the stables and saddled up her mare. Her world was in turmoil and she felt like she could no longer breathe. She needed to just ride. She climbed on and took off. The mare sped through the lush hillsides of Hampshire, as the wind blew her auburn hair back. She pressed her harder and harder, making her gain speed. All she heard was the clomping of Hilda's hooves as they rhythmically hit the ground. But as much as she enjoyed the freedom and the fresh air hitting her in her face, the thoughts of this whole situation kept creeping back into her mind.

She didn't know how long she was gone for, but could tell that it was afternoon by the sun's position in the sky. The horse needed rest and she returned her to the stable and unsaddled her. Riding hard was always a good workout for both her and the horse. The spring sun beat down on her and plastered what wasn't windblown of her hair to her head. She was in desperate need of a shower and hoped to just sneak inside unnoticed. Unfortunately that was not the case.

She saw him in the hallway, looking at one of the coats of armor. His dark brown hair was shaggy and got in his eyes. The jeans he wore were worn in and ripped at the knees and the black t-shirt tight on his arms and chest. He turned and saw her, his chiseled face and brown eyes meeting her green. He cracked a polite smile, just his right cheek going up and creating a dimple.

Elizabeth quickly returned the smile and hurried past him and up the long staircase. She enjoyed a long hot shower and dressed before there was a knock on the door, telling her that her presence was needed in the office.

^^^^^^^^^^

Chase knew he was here for the reading of a will of some sort, but hadn't been given much more information. He stood in the hallway waiting for this Mr. Abbey guy, looking at the various pieces of artwork. He was admiring a suit of armor, probably several hundred years old, when he heard the massive front door creak open. He turned and saw a woman. She looked quite disheveled and dirty, and he figured she was some sort of worker at the castle. Her green eyes met his and he saw the elfin face that looked back at him. She was trim, only a few inches shorter than he, but had an ample bust and soft, gentle curves. She gently smiled and hurried past him, running up the stairs. He watched her go, her round ass hugged tightly by her jeans.

Keep yourself in check; he thought to himself, you don't need to go slumming with the servant pussy. And he was right, he didn't. Ugly singers got play, but Chase was the farthest thing from ugly. He had pointed features, making him look almost Roman, and he was blessed with the body of an Adonis, his well defined arms, abs, back and thighs carrying his 6'2" frame. Women threw themselves at him constantly. He had international fame and fortune, a string of number one albums and hit singles, and lots and lots of pussy. Women always managed to find their way backstage to him, some even managed to get up to the entrance of his hotel suite, though he had no idea how they got around security. Nevertheless, he was always willing to please an eager fan.

He was torn from his thoughts by a voice trying to get his attention. He turned to see a round, balding man with glasses walking towards him. "Mr. Abbey I presume?"

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, Mr. Barrett," he said as he extended his hand to him.

"Please call me Chase," he said as he grasped the man's large hand within his own.

"Surely Chase, please follow me into the office." Abbey led him there and gestured to one of the chairs in front of the desk. Chase looked around, again entranced by this new room, and the ambiance he found within. The dark woods gave the room a warm, rich tone that he found inviting. "Can I get you a scotch?"

"No Mr. Abbey, thank you, it is still a bit early in the day for me."

"Well let me get right down to the point then. As you know, you are here because you have been left an inheritance as part of Earl's will. There is an envelope here which contains a letter the Earl wrote prior to his death, as well as a document outlining exactly what the inheritance contains, and the terms and conditions of your acceptance. I would suggest you begin with the letter, and we will proceed from there." Abbey handed him the thick letter and Chase began to read.

Mr. Barrett,

I am sorry that your first visit to Ashley Castle must be on these terms, but I think you will come to love both the castle and the countryside as much as I have over the years. With this letter, you will find the documentation showing that you are the legal heir to my legacy. As I hope you know, you were adopted by American parents through an American agency. You were adopted from England though. Your birth mother had an affair with my cousin, the Earl Chauncey. You were the product of that affair. The Earl paid your mother a stipend, providing she put you up for adoption, so that you would never lay claim to his title. Unfortunately, your father squandered his finances, so legally; there is nothing left for you to claim from him. However, you, as his son and my nephew, are titled as Viscount Chase Barrett Chauncey, and thus eligible for my inheritance. However, there are conditions and stipulations to this agreement, which must be followed. If you choose not to honor this agreement, you will forfeit the castle and the rest of my holdings.

Fondly,

Edmund Ashley

Chase read the document in astonishment. He then flipped through the documents, seeing his English birth certificate and paperwork from the adoption agency, showing his parent's signatures on it. He looked up at Abbey, his mouth ajar and gently shook his head from side to side in disbelief. "H-How can this be?"

"I know it is a lot to digest right now sir, but Earl Ashley was very into genealogy and he kept immaculate records. He did much research to confirm this fact, and it is indeed true."

Chase sighed and ran his index finger back and forth across his chin. "Ok, well what are these terms and conditions he speaks of?"

Abbey handed him the document that outlined the terms: how he was supposed to marry Elizabeth and produce an heir within 15 months of his wedding date. If he refused, the inheritance was lost to both of them. Without looking up from the paper, he said "Abbey, I think I'll take that scotch now."

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chase quickly downed the scotch in one shot, the burn it caused in his throat proved to him that he was indeed awake and not dreaming this. More importantly, he didn't know why he was still sitting there considering this arrangement. He doesn't need the money and he's not hard up to get laid. Yet, he felt a strange pull to the castle.

Abbey had refilled his glass and he raised it off the desk. "So, say I was to consider this arrangement, when do I meet this girl and how long do I have before I have to marry her?" he asked as he raised the glass to his lips.

"You'll meet her in a bit and two weeks." Those last two words caused him to choke on his drink.

Chase finished his coughing fit. "I'm sorry, did you say two weeks?"

"That's correct sir," Abbey replied.

"Wow, shit! That's not a lot of time to figure this out."

"I know sir. You are welcome to have your attorney look over everything to make sure it is in order, but the wedding must occur in two weeks."

"What???"

Chase turned around to see a look of horror on a woman's face-a very beautiful woman's face. Her auburn hair cascaded past her shoulders in waves. He then looked into her eyes, and saw green. It was then that he realized that this beautiful woman standing before him was the ragamuffin that had hurried past him before.

She confidently strode into the room and stood next to Chase at the desk, giving him a great view of her jean ensconced ass. "You can't be serious Mr. Abbey! You cannot expect me to marry this, this...playboy ever let alone in two weeks," gesturing towards Chase. "And you," she began, as she turned to Chase, "Why are you even still here? Don't you have enough money?"

"Well, obviously, I don't need to introduce you both now. Elizabeth, you know that I did not set up the terms of this arrangement. I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do. If you both do not accept the terms, then you both lose the inheritance."

"Then I guess I will end up a pauper on the streets!" Elizabeth turned and slammed the door behind her.

"She's still very upset about Edmund's passing, so excuse her please. Well, here is my card, please let me know what you both decide." Abbey stood up and Chase rose to shake his hand. When he left the room, Chase plopped back down in the chair and poured himself another scotch. He was so confused about the whole situation. He drained the glass and went to go explore the castle some more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

His bags had been taken up to his room when he arrived, so he hadn't seen it yet and had no idea where it was. He slowly inspected the upper hallways, peeking into the closed doors. The castle was gigantic, the hallways were like mazes, and he thought it would probably take him two weeks to find his way out. He approached a door on his left and slowly opened it. Some classical was playing in the background, Bach he thought, so she never heard the door creak open. She sat on the chaise, her laptop positioned on her lap, with her back to him. She had changed again and wore a short red silk robe, exposing her long, pale legs that were extended out. Chase leaned against the doorframe, taking her in for a moment before he proceeded up behind her. The computer screen showed her on one of the gossip websites, a picture of him up, with some girl all over him at a hotel bar in Vegas. He smiled briefly as he reflected back on that night. He remembered her, but not her name, like the myriads before her.

For someone who earlier downstairs had shown a disdain for him, she was taking an interest now. He crouched down behind her, his mouth near her ear and said, "Doing your homework?"

Elizabeth screamed and jumped off the chaise, her laptop landing on the hardwood floor with a thud. She spun around, and when she did the bottom of her robe opened briefly, giving him a view of her pale upper thighs. "What are you doing in here?" she screamed at him.

Chase rose. "I asked you first, why are you checking up on me?"

"Don't flatter yourself, I always go on that site; you just happened to be on it."

"Uh-huh," Chase knew better, he knew that photo had been taken almost three weeks ago. There was no way it was just hitting the gossip sites now.

"Oh please!" Elizabeth bent over to pick up the laptop, giving Chase a view down the front of her robe, unfortunately her charms were covered by a bra, but he did get look at her cleavage. She stood up and he was still taking her in when she yelled, "You behemoth! You broke my laptop, the screen is cracked!"

His trance was broken. "I didn't break it; you threw it off of your lap."

"Because you startled me," she argued back. "You had better replace it!"

"Oh I had, huh?" her anger was amusing him and he crossed his arms over his chest, the muscles in his forearms evident.

Elizabeth glared at him. "Do not mock me. What gives you the right to think you can come into my room, without knocking might I add, break my laptop, and then mock me? Who the hell do you think you are?" she asked as she took a couple steps toward him in confrontation.

Chase placed his right hand over his heart, "Ah, is that how you talk to your future husband? I'm hurt."

"I can think of a couple things you are and hurt is not one of them. And, I am not marrying you! Why in the bloody hell are you still even here and why are you in my room?"

"Well, England, like America, is a free country, and two, I was invited. I was actually looking for my room in this maze of a house, as I had not been shown to it, when I stumbled upon you. Anymore questions?"

She quickly replied, "If I show you your room, will you get out of mine?"

t0nst3rs
t0nst3rs
150 Followers
12