Internal Affairs Ch. 02

Story Info
Every good deed is punished.
3.2k words
4.61
9.1k
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 15 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 08/07/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The bust went down just as Roger expected. The vice unit rolled up on most of the gang before the word got out. They were processing the scene using the lab people, who had managed to avoid being tainted by Roger's investigation, so the evidence was solid.

Mark had lied about the timing in order to keep the drug house raid a secret, even from Roger. Roger didn't mind.

"The word is out that you were Vice's secret weapon on that abandoned house," Hillary suggested.

"How did that happen," Roger asked.

"Mark put it in his request for a warrant," Hillary said with disapproval in her voice. "You should have told me of your suspicions."

"I told you something was wrong with the old lady's story, but you didn't want to hear it," Roger snapped. He might be leaving, but he would be damned if he went quietly, he thought

"I suppose it did sound that way to you. When you mentioned it to me, it was just a feeling you had. When you had the drug theory tied together with the house, you should have told me. I would have carried if forward, and I could have kept your name off the warrant. Mark used your past as leverage for the warrant." Hillary said. "And to cover his ass, if it went bad."

"Okay next time I will," Roger said. He most likely meant it. Mark could have left him hanging out to dry.

"Good, have you eaten," Hillary asked.

"Sure," Roger replied.

"What did you eat?" she asked.

"What is this?" Roger asked. "Like a dating profile?"

"You are too thin. You still look like a junkie," she said not all that kindly.

"Hillary it is none of your business, but I have only been out of rehab two weeks," Roger snapped. "I'm sorry, but I'm just tired of being reminded of my past. Some one is always bring it up somehow."

Hillery nodded because she didn't trust herself to speak. She walked back to her desk and began searching the file folders.

Roger obviously made her very uncomfortable. He felt it but didn't have any idea what to do about it. So he sat at the desk across from Hillary and began to read files.

His burner phone rang, "Hello," he said into it.

"Mark here, Everhart I'm sorry word is all over the station that you were the source of my information. I used you for the surveillance and the search warrant. I had to protect myself, since it was you." Mark said.

"Of course you did. God knows you couldn't trust me. Fuck you Mark." Roger knew his reaction was over the top even as he said it.

Hillary didn't raise her eyes even thought she must have heard. She continue to read her files. Suddenly out of the blue she said, "He was right you know. He was covering his ass. Everyone will do that, since you are a snitch and therefore not to be trusted. This whole department is an embarrassment to the whole damn state. You took down 22% of the department in that drug operation. It got so out of hand, not even your handlers will touch you now. You went to the DEA for your deal and didn't allow them the chance to cut their losses."

"I know all that, I was there remember. What's your point?" Roger asked.

"My point is they picked the wrong man for their undercover operations. It was a power struggle inside the department and they all lost. Roger no matter what they all say, you did the right thing." Hillary said with what passed as a smile from her.

"Yeah, I heard that a lot from the feds, but I still have to piss in a cup whenever they ask." Roger found that ironic, but he knew that it would help him stay clean.

The rehab program he had chosen wasn't one of those easy breezy celebrity warm and fussy things. It was one run by the military on a marine boot camp base. They had a drug problem bad enough to need a rehab for those soldiers worth saving. There were also DEA men coming out of deep cover. It was all very hush, hush and pretty damn harsh.

"He was forced to eat real food, even though he threw it up when he started to run. There were twenty of them in a group. Since they didn't exist they had no designation. The physical exercise was brutal on their wasted bodies, but only a couple gave up. Those were transferred to a civilian program based on the warm and fuzzy model.

Roger wanted to quit every time it came time for the run, or an exercise period. They had meetings that were psych evaluations every day as well. He was forced into mandatory counseling sessions. He resisted them at first but in the end he embraced the stress relief of meditation. He was trying to learn a new way of thinking that would require a radical change in his life style. In the end what he was trying to do was just survive the day without the crack pipe.

"You have been staring at the same page of that same file for five minutes, are you okay?" Hillary asked.

"Yes Ma'am. Just meditating," he replied. Roger had a uneasy feeling about Hillary. He didn't get any vibe from her and that was strange. Everyone had and aura, Hillary's was somehow just transparent as if it didn't exist. He had no idea what to make of her.

"If you aren't involved in anything else, let's go for a ride. We need to talk to a college kid," she said.

"That sounds like fun," Roger said. "What is the kid alleging?"

"Her statement suggests she was asked for sexual favors from an officer and when she refused he arrested her for driving while intoxicated. Her blood screen did show a high level of THC," Hillary advised.

"Is this a he said, she said?" Roger asked.

"We won't know till we interview everyone. I'm not sure the officer even knows he is being investigated." Hillary suggested.

Roger managed to get his stiff almost six foot frame from the too low office chair. Once on his feet he walked from the office to the unmarked car parked in the police parking lot. He hadn't been assigned a car because his driver's license had been revoked. It was for a drug arrest as part of building his cover story. He was awaiting a hearing by the department of motor vehicles.

Roger didn't mind all that much since Hillary was a good driver, but overly careful. He had purchased a fifty cc motor scooter to get around town while he waited. It was a mother when it rained, but that's what his taxi fund was for. He couldn't exactly call a fellow officer for a ride.

They found the college student at her family home. Hillary had called to set the interview, so she had her mother seated with her.

"I hope you don't mind my mother being here. She insisted that she be here," Alice informed them.

"Actually, we prefer it," Hillary said. "Let's start with the facts that we all can agree on, shall we. First of all Officer Gomez made a traffic stop on you the night of June 17th of this year, is that correct?" Hillary asked.

"Yes, I was on my way home from my fiends house," Alice volunteered.

"Would you give me her name please for the record," Hillary asked.

"Do I have to," Alice asked.

"I'm afraid so. If this goes to trial the lawyers will ask why we didn't do a thorough investigation," Hillary said.

"Tell her honey," the mother said.

Alice gave Hillary a name and address. She was beginning to look worried. Roger saw her aura go from yellow to red. He couldn't really see if of course but he could feel that she was lying, maybe about the friend.

"You and your friend were smoking pot," Hillary asked.

"It is legal to smoke Marijuana," the mother said.

"Of course it is, but it is also an intoxicant under the law. It's just a matter of how much your daughter smoked. It might be legal to use but it not legal to drive an automobile under the influence of even a legal drug." Hillary said. "So how much weed did you smoke?"

"Yes we shared a joint," Alice said.

"Just one?" Hillary asked the disbelief heavy in her voice.

"Is this about the officer's inappropriate conduct or the DUI charge. If you are investigating my daughter I think she should have a lawyer." The girl's mother said.

"Do you feel you need a lawyer Alice?" Hillary made it sound as though if she got a lawyer she was guilty of the DUI and of lying about the officer. Even though in theory one charge had nothing to do with the other. Except she implied he would not have charged her, if she had gone along.

"Well mom said even innocent people need lawyers," Alice replied and her mother nodded her head.

Before you ask for a lawyer let me ask you one questions. Do you feel that you were under the influence of THC?" Hillary asked.

"Now my daughter does need a lawyer," The woman with Alice suggested.

"You want to stop for a milk shake," Hillary asked.

"No thanks Hillary, I'm trying to stay fit," Roger said. "You know Alice is guilty of the DUI. I'm sure she is trying to work a deal."

"Maybe, but being guilty of DUI does not mean the incident didn't happen just like she said." Hillary answered. "The truth is we don't know what her version is since nobody would admit to drunken flirting in front of her mother."

"You do have a point. Why don't we pull Gomez personnel record so we can see what kind of cop he is?" Roger suggested.

"I already have. He has no disciplinary actions but he has been transfered from one platoon to another twice in the last year. Something is going on with him," Hillary suggested.

"Why not ask him?" Roger asked.

"Because skinny Roger, a detective never asks a question unless he already has the answer," Hillary replied. "Or at least thinks she does."

"I thought that was a lawyer," Roger said.

"Same kind of shit. You just mix enough things to which you know the answer, with ones you don't know and hope to learn somethings valuable at the end of the day." Hillary said.

"So it's time we took a chance, we can do more background after the interview," Roger suggested.

"Officer Gomez, my name is officer Everhart. Is there anything you wish to say before we begin the official interview." Roger asked.

"Everybody knows who you are, so go ahead and crucify me," Gomez said.

Hillary turned on the tape recorder. "Present for the first interview with patrolman Gomez is officer Gomez, Detective First Class Hillary Bridges and Detective Everhart.

I am handing you a copy of the incident report for the arrest of Alice Belmont. Your report says that you were following Alice's car when you noticed she was having problems staying between the lines of her traffic lane, is that correct?" Roger asked.

"If that's what it says," Gomez replied.

"You know our report can be completed in a day, or it can drag on for weeks. The more cooperation we get the faster it ends," Hillary said.

"Yes Ma'am," Gomez looked across at Roger and asked, "Do you get off on this?"

"Are you asking if I get off helping cops in the jackpot climb out like I'm trying to do now. Maybe you are asking about the lying scum dope dealers, who happened to wear the same uniform I did. Which are you asking officer Gomez?" Roger had raised his voice.

"Roger a word," Hillary said as she stood. In the hall she asked, "Are you okay."

"Never better," Roger said taking deep breaths.

"Okay you want to go somewhere and meditate?" she asked sarcastically.

"When this is over," he said turning back for the door.

"Well Gomez, I under stand why you have had three parallel transfers in your three years," Hillary said. "I was going to ask, but it's obvious. You don't play well with others. Does that include the public."

"I have never had a citizen complaint until now," he said.

"Not bad, but most cops never get a citizen complaint. Let me suggest a scenario that seems highly plausible." Hillary suggested. "Alice came out of a known party pad. You followed her to her car, just to be sure no one bothered her, because she was alone. You weren't quite sure how high she was until she tried to drive.

She weaved and so you stopped her. She tried to flirt with you, asking you to let her go. You didn't respond and took her to jail. The proper procedure for a cop. She has to tell mommy something, so of course her story wanders to keep Mommy off her ass."

"Or," Roger said, "You did all the right things till she pulled over. When you went up to her you ranted and raved about drunk entitled college kids. Then calmed down and offered a trade for her release with a warning. You knew she was high so she probably wouldn't even remember. Alice said no, so you took her in and booked her."

"That does play just as well," Hillary said. "So only you and Alice were out there. Oh yes there was the body cam and the dash cam." Hillery tossed a screen grab on the table. It show Gomez leaning against the car shot from the dash cam. "That looks more like you are relaxed. The body cam is mysteriously off line."

Roger said, "This frame shows what seems to be you in a heated discussion with Alice. So would you like to change your story?" Roger asked.

"Look you were a patrolman before you became a rat. You know how it is they flirt with you hoping a titty flash will keep them out of jail. She offered me sex to let her go. I said no and I guess I lost it on her. Point is nothing happened. I took her in."

"No, the point is, did you solicit sex from a perpetrator or did she offer you sex. Right now it looks pretty much like she is telling the truth. If she is, then she has grounds for a lawsuit. We want to clear you, but I can't without that body cam footage."

"It's all circumstantial. You got nothing," he said.

"When it comes to bad cops, Roger here is like a dog with a bone," Hilary said. "Do you really want him interviewing your friends and neighbors?" Hilary asked.

"I don't give a fuck who he talks to," Gomez said. "And I ain't answering no more questions without a union rep or a lawyer."

"You are entitled to either or both. This is not a criminal investigation, but it can be," Hillary said.

Back at their desks Roger was meditating trying to pull it back together. Hillary was reading the Gomez file,

"He is guilty of something." she said.

"Sure being an arrogant asshole, but that's not a crime. You know if mommy didn't have to know, this the girl wouldn't have mentioned it at all. If she was really upset, she would have been shouting it at the booking officer at the time."

"Maybe she was," Hillary suggested. "Let's get the booking officer in for a chat."

"Why not catch him at work. It would be a lot easier," Roger said.

"And not nearly as intimidating," Hillary explained.

Roger made the call to the booking officer. He explained what it was about just to give him time to gather any information he had. Roger knew there were cameras in the booking room. They had been installed under the pretext that they were there for the officer's protection. It was like him peeing in the cup.

Roger had spent three months in rehab and two weeks at home trying to find a way to cope with the shit that was rolling down on him.

Most recovering junkies asked for the shit they got, Roger hadn't. He had been a victim as much as any of the victims that came through the door. Unlike them, he didn't try to blame his current situation on anyone, he was just trying to cope with the fallout.

"Deputy Allan Watkins," Hillary greeted him. Roger sat quietly in his chair while Hillary explained the camera and tape recordings being made.

"You do know why you are here?" she asked.

"Yeah of course, I looked her up on the computer. I brought the footage along and a laptop to show you that no one touched her. I understand there is a sexual harassment claim pending. I can prove there were no irregularities in the booking."

"We are interested in her actions and demeanor while being booked," Hillary said. "Like did she make any accusations about the officer."

"We get that all the time. You know they come in with their boobs handing out and claim they have been harassed. She was a little worse than the usual, 'I'll have your badge' followed by some pretty colorful language. It's all on the tape. Is she saying a deputy harassed her while she was in our custody?"

"No, not at all," Roger said.

He stared at Roger. "Good cause nothing happened to her at the jail. I got minute by minute tapes of her."

On the way out he pulled Roger aside, "They say you are a junkie cop?" the deputy declared.

"So they do. I've been clean for months. I never had the addictive personality, but the drugs got to me anyway. It was the job," Roger said feeling the need to explain.

"They say once a junkie, always a junkie, I hope you prove them wrong," he said extending his hand.

"I'm issuing an inconclusive report. There is no direct evidence against him. I am going to have his duty captain review the tapes. He will probably be transfered again," Hillary said.

"Not too many places left for him to go," Roger said.

"School resource officer," she suggested.

"Oh yeah, if I had a kid, he is the kind of officer I would want at her school," Roger said.

"You do make a good point," Hillary said. "So they were pretty rough on you are you coping?"

"They are me and I am them," Roger said mysteriously.

"Shit," she said with a smile. "What does that mean?"

"Hating them, would be hating myself. I am trying not to hate myself," Roger said. "I am trying to understand myself, so that I can forgive myself. Understanding is the first step in forgiveness."

"That doesn't sound like one of the steps in the program," Hillary suggested.

"It is in my program. I can't see me asking forgiveness of the people I injured while I was using," Roger explained. "They were mostly dirty cops and drug dealers. From the street to the drug houses I hurt them all and have no regrets.

Hillary just nodded her understanding.