Into the Unknowable Ch. 13

Story Info
Emmanuel meets Isaac and an Angel from above.
4.2k words
4.71
7k
00

Part 13 of the 22 part series

Updated 10/08/2022
Created 02/20/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Thirteen
Intrepid - 3756 C.E.

There was much that was currently troubling Emmanuel. The essential nature of the mission that he signed up for had changed dramatically now that the space ship Intrepid had steered itself into the Anomaly. He had no recollection of ever having committed himself to a mission from which there was absolutely no chance of return. Just how had this happened? How had his memory been so faulty? The evidence of the Intrepid's records was unambiguous. The space ship had indeed all along been mandated to enter the Anomaly and never return. How was it that he'd ever believed otherwise?

It was difficult to know now what role a Special Operations Officer should now serve. Emmanuel was told that all strange events were from henceforth of scientific rather than operational significance and should be reported as such to the Science Officers. Petal Chang, the Chief Science Officer, was adamant about this. His job was to focus on the welfare of the passengers and crew, not to investigate the Apparitions that were popping up randomly all over the place and whose very existence was daily making him question his belief in a God whose methods and intentions weren't just random and meaningless.

Maxwell was less anxious. Emmanuel's husband also had difficulty in remembering a time when they'd been briefed that the mission would ultimately take them inside the Anomaly, but he was persuaded by the senior officers' counsel.

"What sense would it have been to come so far and not actually enter the Anomaly?" he asked.

"The likelihood is that we'll perish there and no one will ever know what happened."

"What difference does it make?" Maxwell asked philosophically. "We could easily have been killed a year ago when we were stormed by that trillionaire's arsenal of missiles. If your friends, the Holy Coalition, had succeeded in overrunning the Intrepid we'd have been tortured and roasted alive rather than killed. You saw what they did to each other. What would they do to us?"

"They weren't quite my friends," said Emmanuel as he grasped his husband's erect penis on the bed where they lay. "But you're right. They had no concept of tolerance or mercy."

"And they'd hate us for what we've just been doing," said Maxwell wiping a drip of semen off Emmanuel's cheek.

"And for what we're about to do," said Emmanuel as he pressed his lips against his husband's and squeezed his balls.

It wasn't easy for Emmanuel to discuss the extent of his concerns. There was something very peculiar about how willingly and enthusiastically the senior officers and scientists had embraced the Intrepid's mission into the unknown. It was as if there'd never been any other conceivable course of action. It reminded Emmanuel of the blind faith that bound the Holy Coalition together. None of the fanatics he'd interviewed questioned the truth of what they were told about their mission. And none of them ever wondered how it was possible for others in the Holy Coalition to have different views to them, often disagreeing on only the most minor detail, and yet for only one view to be absolutely and totally correct. And most of all, he despaired at how the Christian faith which had brought him so much comfort and resolved so many issues could so often be used to justify injustice and tyranny. Did none of those who considered themselves Christian ever wonder how an honest believer in Christ's gospel could condone or even pursue the unchristian and cruel practices that was prevalent in their supposedly Christian societies?

Emmanuel had plenty of leisure time. When he wasn't making love with Maxwell, he exercised in the gym or jogged around the extensive lawns and gardens of the Intrepid's various levels. He enjoyed running round the lake on the fifth level. He often paced along the trails in the rain forest on the seventh level. He took peculiar pleasure in the random paths that weaved around the gardens on the third level. It kept him fit and healthy and it allowed his thoughts to wander. Sometimes he enclosed himself in a small private aural field where he could listen to the thirtieth century choral music he so enjoyed much and which captured the spirituality and wonderment of his faith even more than the polyphonic choral music of the sixteenth century.

It was while jogging along the canal path on the eighth level that Emmanuel encountered someone whose presence disturbed even further his already delicate equilibrium. Since the Intrepid had entered the Anomaly, like everyone else, Emmanuel had a story to tell about the weird transitory Apparitions that appeared and so rapidly disappeared. The sight of an angel flying overhead was especially worrying for him, as it made him wonder whether it really was an angel sent down from Heaven expressly for him. This was especially true given that the angel was in the form of precisely the kind of androgynous man that Emmanuel most found attractive (not that Maxwell in all his hirsute splendour could ever be described as androgynous). After a while, Emmanuel learned to attach no particular significance to these apparitions. Peculiar though they were, they rarely interacted with anyone and left little trace that they'd ever been there.

The figure Emmanuel saw striding towards him along the canal path from the opposite direction was certainly peculiar but it wasn't transitory and it didn't have the mythological aspect that characterised so many of the Apparitions. It was also unlikely to be another passenger or member of the crew. Although Emmanuel was far from the only one to take advantage of the Intrepid's extensive open spaces for exercise or recreation, ever since the Intrepid entered the Anomaly there were few now so inclined to venture beyond their homes or where they worked. Perhaps it was because they were so engrossed in the work they were doing, as the daily reports so enthusiastically implied, but Emmanuel guessed that it might have more to do with the unsettling presence of the Apparitions. It had become harder, for instance, to persuade Maxwell to venture far beyond the front door.

"These weird Apparitions," he admitted. "They freak me out. I don't see how you can be so unaffected."

"No one's been harmed by them yet."

"That might change at any time," Emmanuel's husband suggested. "Some of them are fucking frightening. Did you hear about the thirty metre dragon that flew over the ninth level? It smashed the roof of one of the villas."

"These things appear anywhere and at any time," said Emmanuel. "We're as safe outdoors as we are in."

"I just don't want to take the chance."

Perhaps Maxwell was right after all. The figure approaching along the canal, with a silver cross emblazoned over the long dark coat that covered him from his throat to his ankles, was none other than Isaac, the fanatical Soldier of Christ, who Emmanuel was sure must have perished along with the rest of the Holy Coalition when the Intrepid was assailed just over a year ago.

Emmanuel's faith wasn't so naive as to rely on a belief in an afterlife. After all, in what form would a person be resurrected? Surely, if God were just and wise, not in the same aged, diseased or damaged form in which a person died. An eternity as such could never be Heaven: it could only be Hell. Nevertheless, what other explanation was there for Isaac being alive unless he'd been resurrected from the dead. It was truly inconceivable that he could have survived the onslaught.

That is, if the figure was truly Isaac.

Emmanuel slowed down to a walk and continued onwards, hoping not to betray his nervousness. When he came within hailing range of Isaac, he stopped in his tracks and addressed the still approaching figure. There was no evidence that Isaac's wariness was because he recognised the Special Operations Officer who'd interviewed him a year earlier.

"Isaac," Emmanuel said. "It's good to see you again."

The figure stopped abruptly as soon as he was addressed.

"Do I know you?" he asked in surprise. "How is it that you know my name?"

"We met just after the Holy Coalition attempted to invade the Intrepid," said Emmanuel, in the hope of jogging Isaac's memory. "I was the one detailed to interrogate you."

"Interrogate me?" Isaac said in some confusion. "No one has ever interrogated me. What nonsense is this? What is the Holy Coalition? Coalition between what and who?"

Emmanuel was confused. This man was clearly Isaac. He was identical, although he was now fully dressed and his hair had grown several centimetres. The face was the same. The voice was the same. Was Isaac in some way deluded?

"Don't you recall the storming of the Intrepid by soldiers from the Holy Coalition?" Emmanuel persisted. "You served as a Soldier of Christ from the colony of Holy Trinity in Mercury orbit. Those who survived the assault were all captured, imprisoned and interrogated."

Isaac looked very confused. "How do you know that I come from Holy Trinity?" he asked. "How do you know that I am a Soldier of Christ? The rest of your insane drivel, I do not understand. Clearly you have gathered some intelligence concerning our mission, but much has been lost in the transmission."

"So you do remember some things," said Emmanuel. "Do you remember, for instance, when the Intrepid was attacked by missiles just inside the Oort Cloud?"

"No, I don't," said Isaac with annoyance. "Who are you? What are these strange things you're talking about? What is this Intrepid you mention?"

"It's the space ship you're on," said Emmanuel.

"Space ship?" Isaac looked around him. "This is a space ship?"

"Where did you think you were?"

"No space ship in the Ecumenical Union resembles this," said Isaac. "It is much more like a colony or pleasure garden. Is this a pagan or heathen ship? It is far too lavish for a Musselman space ship. Or am I wrong? Have I been captured by the evil forces of Islam?"

"This is the space ship Intrepid," said Emmanuel. "It belongs to the Interplanetary Union."

"This is some outlandish organisation I have never heard of," said Isaac. "You must come from beyond the realms of Christendom. What is your faith and creed?"

"I am a Christian," Emmanuel told Isaac, who still wondered whether the man had simply forgotten.

"And your denomination, sir?"

"I have no denomination," said Emmanuel.

Isaac seemed troubled by this revelation, but decided not to pursue it further. "Is the space ship Intrepid a Christian vessel?"

"Not especially. Most of the crew and passengers are atheists. There are a few religious people. They include Muslims, Buddhists and Jews, as well as Christians."

"There are Jews on board?" Isaac wondered. "I understood that the last one had been purged well over a thousand years ago. What sort of union is this that lets atheists and Muslims share the same oxygen and water as good Christians? Pray tell me that the non-believers are employed only as slaves."

"You must know that slavery has been outlawed for nearly two thousand years," said Emmanuel. "It's practiced only by some rogue states and as such it contravenes interplanetary law and custom."

"You surely jest," said Isaac. "No economy can survive without slave labour. Many wars have been fought and won to preserve this fundamental bedrock of civilisation. Are you simply mocking me? You say you are a Christian and yet you know nothing of the laws of the Lord. As it says in Chapter 25 Verse 45 of the Third Book of Moses: Called Leviticus: Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession."

"It's not right to take the Holy Bible so literally," said Emmanuel.

"Then how else should we understand the Word of the Lord except as the Revealed Truth? Are you the worst kind of heretic that questions the very foundation of the Christian faith?"

Emmanuel didn't like the direction this conversation was going. "Never mind me, Isaac," he said. "You are in the Space Ship Intrepid and under the jurisdiction of the Interplanetary Union. Perhaps you could tell me where you've come from?"

"Do you continue to mock me?"

"Please answer my question."

"I am a Soldier of Christ serving the Ecumenical Union in the exploration of the Apostasy," Isaac announced. "My fellow Christian soldiers and I have entered the Apostasy in the Space Ship Revelation in the pursuit of Truth, Justice and Christian Fellowship."

Emmanuel continued to be puzzled. This account had some parallels with what he knew of the Holy Coalition, but it was mostly rather different. "Where is your space ship, Isaac?" he asked. "Is it outside the Intrepid? I've seen no image of it on the holoscreens."

"The doors to the Revelation are within your colony... or, as you call it, your space ship."

"How is that possible?"

"The Lord makes all things possible," said Isaac. "Within the Apostasy there are many abominations and clearly this atheistic space ship is one of them."

"Could you show me the doors through which you entered the Intrepid?" asked Emmanuel.

"And why should I do that?" asked Isaac suspiciously.

Emmanuel conceded that Isaac's objection was quite sensible. What advantage to him could there be from showing Emmanuel the means by which he'd entered. However, the Special Operations Officer was convinced that Isaac was being merely delusional, perhaps as a result of witnessing all the peculiar Apparitions so common inside the Anomaly and that the 'doors' that referred to were mere figments of his imagination.

"I am a Christian like you," said Emmanuel diplomatically. "I wish you no harm. I want only to gauge the security and safety risk regarding this breach in the space ship through which you've entered. After that, it will be possible for you to meet other Christians aboard the Intrepid so that you're afforded a proper Christian welcome."

Isaac appeared to ponder Emmanuel's words. He was clearly suspicious, but he could see few other available options.

"Very well," he said at length. "I shall take you to the point from which I arrived. Then you shall know the truth of my words."

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free," Emmanuel quoted.

"Chapter Eight, Verse Thirty-One of the Gospel According to Saint John," Isaac assented, but made no further comment.

There was no conversation between Emmanuel and Isaac as the two Christians followed the winding canal past paddling swans and a small empty boat, alongside a broad meadow where sheep were grazing and beside several villas. Isaac was silent throughout and Emmanuel had no notion of what might constitute appropriate conversation. Furthermore, Emmanuel suspected that Isaac's plans when they arrived wherever Isaac was taking them were very different from his, which were principally to ensure that such a potentially dangerous religious fanatic shouldn't be allowed to wander unhindered about the Intrepid. He'd witnessed on the holoscreens the murderous disposition of the Crusaders of the Holy Coalition towards one another. It was barely imaginable how vicious they might be to the openly atheist majority of the Intrepid's crew and passengers.

The canal was crossed by bridges at regular intervals along its path and it was at one of these bridges that Isaac left the canal and the two men now strode across a lawn that had been obscured by the canal bank. Emmanuel could now see a dozen or so other figures dressed in much the same apparel as Isaac with crosses emblazoned across their dark tunics. There was no apparent pattern to their behaviour. They were looking around themselves in bewilderment at the verdant pastures, the pleasant villas, the grazing ruminants and the small copses of deciduous trees.

"How did so many crusaders survive the missile's impact on the Intrepid?" Emmanuel asked Isaac in confusion. Surely their presence would have been detected by now if they'd survived. And where would they have found shelter against the hostile conditions of deep space?

Isaac frowned at Emmanuel, as if to signal his annoyance at the man's bizarre questions and chose not to answer him. "It is here," he announced, "that my fellow Christian Soldiers and I entered into this world. You can see the doorway beside that small house."

Emmanuel followed Isaac's directions to a gazebo where the grass on the lawn was disturbed by a dark irregular two metre high patch. It had no apparent definition and no apparent depth, but it was clear that there was a darkness from within that appeared to extend further behind. This was clearly impossible because there was nothing but more lawn behind the patch. Emmanuel was then startled to see a figure emerge through the patch attired in much the same way as Isaac and carrying a large fire-arm in his arms. This appearance was no less peculiar than the many Apparitions, but his was a presence that persisted. He was looking around him in genuine wonderment and astonishment.

It was at that moment that a great golden angel descended slowly onto the lawn. It was a male angel very similar to the one Emmanuel had seen before with a golden halo around the head and the arms stretched out as if in penance. The darkly attired soldiers viewed the four metre tall angel with amazement. Several prostrated themselves on the ground while others made the sign of the cross over the breast.

Then just before the feet touched the ground, the angel vanished, but the soldiers continued to gaze at the spot where it had been so evidently manifest.

"The Apostasy mocks us," said Isaac dismissively.

Other soldiers were less convinced. Three of them remained on their knees, put their hands together and began to pray.

Isaac strode forward angrily with Emmanuel more hesitantly following behind. He had no wish to suffer the wrath of religious fanatics, but he had a duty as an Interplanetary Union officer to find out what he could about the intruders.

"This is not a time for prayer," said Isaac to one of the prostrate soldiers.

"We have been blessed by an Angel of the Lord," said the soldier. "I must give thanks to the Lord God for blessing us so."

"That was no angel," said Isaac sternly. "That was another abomination."

"No angel has ever been an abomination," said another soldier angrily. "The Lord is with us always and He has deigned to send us a message."

"Are we dead and in Paradise?" asked another soldier.

"Are these the Elysian Fields of Classical repute?" another asked.

"We should pray for forgiveness of our sins so that we should be spared the rigours of Purgatory," said another.

"This is nonsense," said the Christian Soldier with the large firearm. "The Apostasy has fooled us. This is the domain of Satan and the Antichrist."

"Why would Satan live in a garden as beautiful as this?" countered another. "His realm is suffering and hellfire. This is a realm of beauty and calm."

"Silence!" ordered Isaac. "We are here to conquer and overpower. Don't let Satan fool you by his demonic manifestations. The way to Heaven is not through the authority of the Apostasy."

Emmanuel moved further away from Isaac and to a position under a tree where he hoped he could watch without necessarily being seen. The debate between Isaac and the other Christian Soldiers was becoming increasingly acrimonious. Although Emmanuel could hear only some of what was being said, it was apparent that the company was dividing into two polarised views of the current situation and the significance of the angel's appearance. Isaac maintained the opinion that the angel was just one more transient apparition of the kind so common within the Anomaly and that wherever they were, it was not Heaven. This belief was shared by a minority of the intruders, but significantly these were the ones who had the most authority and the most deadly weapons. The opposing position was vague and unspecific, but was essentially along the lines that the Christian Soldiers had ascended to a better place under the watchful eye of God and His angels. However much Emmanuel was aware that this opinion was nonsense, this was the one he hoped would prevail. A body of Christian Soldiers at prayer was far less dangerous than a force intent on conquest and the extermination of what they perceived to be vassals of Satan.

12