Into the Vampire's Lair Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

"This isn't the best time to argue with me about what is or is not my business. The wolves are coming. I don't know why but I'm guessing they want their kin back. Your father's dispersing the guests as we speak and I know for a fact that he's going to come up here and grab the girl in exchange for some sort of truce."

Draven didn't say anything but stared at her determinedly.

"Read my mind for all you want. You know it's true," she said gently, daring herself to pat his arm. "And next time baby boy... don't kidnap wolves."

"But why are you here? I don't care anymore for anything. I just want to stay here with her..."

Josephine's eyes flicked towards Amber. "She's not well."

Draven felt the last bit of resistance break. He needed to talk to someone so bad that even his estranged mother doesn't look like a bad option at the moment.

"She's blocking me out, refusing me as her mate. I... I just don't know what to do."

"You can read her?" asked Josephine in confused amazement.

"I can't anymore."

Josephine wanted to know more but time was really running out.

"We have to leave now my baby... her presence here is a danger to both of you."

Draven didn't move but held Amber tighter.

"I won't let anyone take her away again," he protested but his eyes flicked ever so often towards the door, as though expecting someone to barge in.

Josephine pursed her lips then suddenly went still.

Flashes of wheels against tar; wolves sniffing out a scent... trailing it out from a small room, down a corridor...

"Mother?" His tone was not one of questioning but of curiosity and amazement. Until Fiona, no one in his family had displayed any ability. Logic informed him that he got his from his birth mother but it was fascinating to actually see what her ability was first hand.

The silver glow in her eyes started to wane and when she blinked, her eyes returned to normal.

"The wolves... they were in this small room along a corridor filled with other such small rooms. They're tracking her down..."

"They're at the university then," replied Draven, clearly impressed. Forgetting his disdain for the woman in front of him, he turned slightly to take a closer look at her. "You can see the future?"

Josephine smiled, "This is really not the time for chit chat baby boy. Do you want to leave or not?"

He gave her a considering look; torn between trusting her and refusing her help. "Only if you promise to teach me what you can do," he said after a long while.

A warm sad smile filled the corners of her lips. "I will my baby... I know it took you decades to perfect your own ability. It shouldn't have taken you that long if I was around," she said sadly. "Come, we must leave now. Carry her."

Draven carefully lifted Amber in his arms and followed his mother into a secret chamber behind his bathroom wall. He hadn't even known that secret corridor existed until now.

"The servants used to use this path to carry hot water here. I know... because this used to be my bathroom," she said as though picking up his thoughts.

The knowledge that his quarters used to be hers surprised him but it did nothing to mask the excitement in his voice when he asked, "You can read minds too?"

"I can't baby boy. It's just that you were sucking in your breath in shock so I'm just explaining."

"I can read both human and vampire minds at will. I can also access their memories and erase them accordingly," there was pride in his voice.

Josephine simply smiled. She may not know her son that well but she was sure that he was trying to impress her; the same way children love to show their mothers' their work of art, no matter how hideous they may be.

"I know," she replied. "And I am very proud of you."

"You kept up with my progress?" he asked in surprise.

"Of course I did."

"Then... why did you wait only until now to see me?" His voice croaked somewhat with hurt, disappointment and anger.

She didn't want to answer him. Not now and definitely not when she's trying to help him escape and betray his own father- the same thing she had done many centuries ago.

"We'll talk later. This path leads to the servants' kitchen. It's the last place Aramis will look for us. From the kitchen, there is a trap door that goes to the chambers below the castle. Do you know what's beneath there right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it used to be a wine cellar and the dungeons when I was here. I'm not sure what it is now."

"I think the vehicles are there. I'm not sure... I don't usually park them," he replied guiltily. It was true of course. There was always someone who'd take the keys from him once he alighted. How'd he know where they parked?

"It's alright my baby. I have an idea. Can you reach out to your brother?"

Draven winced at constantly being called a baby. He wanted to argue but instead turned a suspicious eye at her. "Why?"

"Ask him to meet us at the end of the driveway behind the kitchen cellar. Tell him to get a vehicle out for us."

"How'd you know he'll help."

"Oh he's already helping my dear. He's searching for you both as we speak."

Draven didn't want to question his mother at the moment and tried his best to reach out and locate Alaron's mind. It was almost impossible to concentrate for they were on the run and Alaron wasn't anywhere near him... but he tried his best.

Alaron!

Nothing. Draven tried again.

Please hear me...

Draven! Just where the hell are you? Father's dismissing the guests frantically but the Enforcers are still here, as though they're preparing for some sort of confrontation.

I'll explain later. Just get a car to the end of the driveway behind the kitchen area. I'll meet you in ten minutes. Hurry!

"Done," he announced, just as they exited the dark passageway into the lighted kitchen.

"Madame! Young Lord!" shrieked one of the maids.

"It's alright my dear. We just need a safe passage out of here," said Josephine, putting a finger on her lip.

Give me the girl Draven and erase the maid's memory of seeing us. It's for her own safety. I don't want your father torturing her for answers.

He hesitated slightly.

"I'm just going to hold her," she assured him, opening out her hands to take Amber from his grip.

The moment Draven's hands were free, he placed a palm at each side of the maid's cheek and erased her memory of seeing them.

"I'm really sorry," he whispered as he leaned her weakened body against one of the cabinets and hurried off behind his mother.

She was already walking towards the end of the kitchen where a small glass door separated them from the outside.

"I think he's here," she informed him. "We'd better hurry. Your father's in your room now."

"That's fast," he replied, taking Amber back into his own arms.

As soon as they stepped out into the cool early morning darkness, Draven saw Alaron sitting in a car behind one of the trees.

"A coupe Alaron?" he said with a frown as he opened the car door.

"I wasn't expecting three of you!" he protested but moved the front seat slightly to make room for the two women at the back. "It should fit the both of them. Now hurry up and get in."

Alaron didn't even bother to ask for a destination for he was already pressing the accelerator. There were other cars slowly exiting the castle grounds and if they were lucky, they'd be hardly missed among the crowd.

Draven dared a peek at the side mirror to see if anyone was following them and was relieved when he saw none.

Alaron wasn't saying anything to any of them at the moment. His mind was confused but worried at the same time. He had seen Amber's pale face and scented her lukewarm blood. It was a sign that she was extremely ill. His eyes flicked to the rear view mirror and caught the silver eyes of their other companion. The stranger worried him.

"I'm your brother's mother," she said serenely when she caught his eye.

A heartbeat passed.

"I apologize for meeting under such circumstances," said Alaron politely even as he expertly swerved into a sharp turn. "How may I address you?"

Draven suddenly stilled beside him then turned to look at her. "I'm sorry... it escaped my notice to ask for your name too," he said guiltily.

Josephine let out a small laugh then beamed at the two men in the front seat.

"My name is Josephine Draefend. My family came from Lusitania or what is now Portugal. As for how to address me, you both can call me Mother."

"Oh," gasped Alaron; his hand gripping the wheel tightly. "I already have a mother," he said determinedly and felt Josephine's hand gently resting on his shoulder a while later.

"I'm not asking you to replace her in your heart my dear," she said kindly. "In the meantime, you may call me Dame Josephine." Turning slightly towards Draven she continued, "As for you young man, there are no excuses."

Draven looked like he was on the verge of saying something nasty when Amber suddenly let out a soft whimper.

"She's burning up," said Josephine, holding Amber closer to her. "Alaron dear, is there a hospital nearby where we can bring her? Oh my!" Josephine gave a shriek as the woman lying on her lap began contorting.

"She's shifting," said Draven in alarm. "But something's not right. She shouldn't... look like that."

Alaron dared a peek at the backseat.

"Holy shit. She looks like a half..."

"Shut up Alaron! Eyes on the road," warned Draven even as his eyes inspected Amber's half wolf, half human form.

Alaron didn't reply but stepped on the accelerator; heading to the one person he knew would help them.

***

"You what?!" the outburst came from a half-awake and very annoyed Fiona as she stood at her doorstep to inspect the brood. "Do you two babies have any idea the mess that you're in? Don't even try to answer that Al," she snapped when Alaron tried to open his mouth.

"Don't take it out on him Fiona," said Draven quietly. "It's all my fault for..."

"Damn right it is! You made me do such horrible things to her and you couldn't even last a week apart. God I'm so angry!" her last words bordered on hysteria. The instant she steamed, Draven felt his own hands going to his throat.

"That's enough!"

Fiona blinked so suddenly at the sound of the feminine voice; dropping her mental hold on Draven. She eyed the tall beautiful woman warily for a moment before flicking her eyes to Draven and back again at the stranger.

"Oh!" she gasped in surprise. Draven and Alaron may have inherited Aramis's dark hair and eyes but there was no mistaking the sharp features that only Draven shared with this woman. Politeness outweighed her curiosity for she gave a small bow to acknowledge the elder.

"I hope you're not angry at me for being angry at him," she said guiltily watching the way the woman's eyes seemed to glitter in amusement.

"Oh please. I'd have done that myself if his sister hadn't already done it for me," she chuckled.

"Niece," corrected Fiona. The woman smiled.

"I extended the right for Alaron to call me Mother and I'm doing the same for you," she said with a smile. "Now, enough with the formality. There is a patient that needs to be tended to."

Fiona watched in amazement as the woman ordered the two men around. Despite the situation, she was very organized and handled it with as much grace and kindness as she could muster. Within fifteen minutes, she had Draven lay Amber in Fiona's old room, made Alaron search the cupboards for more blankets and ordered Fiona to prepare a bowl of water with some towels.

"Why is she like that?" asked Fiona in shock the moment she entered her old room. "I mean... I've seen them shift but it's always so quick you don't see the transformation."

No one answered her for they themselves had no answers.

Josephine took the bowl from Fiona and began soaking the cloth in the water. A moment later, she was dabbing Amber's body with the cool towels, hoping to lower her fever.

Fiona simply stood rooted in position, unsure of what to do. Part of her wanted to call for Eian, to tell him that his search was over but the need to stay and keep an eye on Amber was so strong. She supposed it was the bond she had with Amber as her Alpha's mate and thus this overwhelming need for her to protect her pack member from these three...

Well, she was about to say Vampire before realizing that she was also one. In fact, the situation itself was ironic and almost ridiculous. Four Vampires --trying to decide what to do with a wolf that was in midshift mode --that was just mental.

"It's not that Fiona," said Draven softly, having read her thoughts. "Everything was so chaotic and I just needed more time to help her. God knows how much time I'll lose if I have to stay and explain to Eian and Father everything from the start. She'll die by then."

"I'd better tell him she's safe now," she announced and was about to leave the room when Josephine called out to her.

"Give us some time before calling him," she said. "I'm sure a little jostling around with the wolves will do your old man some good. But I want all of you in this room right now."

When Fiona gave her a wary look, Josephine merely smiled and pointed out, "You need to talk. There's a white elephant sitting annoyingly between all of you. So... get it out."

Fiona had no idea what the elder woman was talking about but there was something in the tone of her voice that just compelled her to remain where she was. Before she could say anything, Draven spoke first.

"Fiona...just what did you do to her?" his tone was accusing although he kept his voice calm and level.

"She's not doing anything! She can't keep her powers of suggestion from afar; you know that!" defended Alaron.

"Yes she can and she did it so well that Amber is now breaking. Her mind is collapsing. Take it away please... please Fiona."

Fiona narrowed her eyes at Draven. How dare he accuse her of doing what was necessary for his sake? He should have handled Amber's memories on his own but instead he shoved all the responsibility... and now the blame on her.

"Sweetheart... now's not the time to argue whose fault this is," said Josephine calmly. "Come here and see if you can undo some of the barriers that you've placed on this woman."

Her voice was so calm and controlled yet Fiona sensed a strong power luring her towards the direction of the woman. It was as if she could by-pass one's conscious rationalization process; simply skipping to the 'agreeing' part.

"I'll try... but if it fails, we have to call my husband... he'll know what to do," said Fiona before turning to face everyone. "Would it be okay... if all of you leave us both for a while?"

"Yes of course... boys, outside please," said Josephine, ushering the two men out like a shepherd herding her sheep.

***

When they were alone, Fiona closed her eyes and wept for the woman in front of her. This was her fault. She knew that her powers were still tentative and experimental, yet she had forced those layers of suggestions on Amber.

"Amber... I'm so sorry," she whispered, placing a gentle palm on Amber's head- or what was now a cross between a wolf's head with red hair.

She couldn't see anything of course. She had no ability to read minds and suggesting the reverse to Amber would not remove any of the artificial layers previously in place but simply add new ones on top; effectively burying all of Amber's real subconscious.

"Right... I've got to try another way." Fiona bit her lips as she thought; concentrating on the knowledge she knew of this wolf as well as what she had learned from being in the pack for so long.

She had no idea what she was doing but she took one of Amber's hand/paw and placed it on her tummy.

"Thank god it's just you and me Amber because this looks really silly," she said sheepishly before using Amber's hand to rub gently over her stomach. The wolves used touch often when they're afraid or hurt; almost as though they could harness the other pack member's strength to calm them.

"Guess what?" she said. "I'm pregnant! Can you believe it?"

As expected, there was no response, so she continued.

"And I hope that you'd be there to deliver my baby boy or girl for me. I'd really like that. What do you think?" she paused. The hand/paw that she was holding was looking more like paw than a hand... or was it a trick of her mind?

"Anyway, you're here... in our pack compound... where you're safe. I want you to know you're safe here... so don't hurt yourself like this Amber... because it's hurting everyone... it's hurting our Alpha, it's hurting me... and I think even my baby feels hurt for you."

Fiona watched as more golden brown fur replaced skin, albeit slowly but surely.

"Once, when I thought isolating myself from everyone would save them from me... remember what you said to me? You said that sometimes you can't save everyone but I think you're wrong. You saved me remember? You made me feel stronger and more determined about myself so now it's my turn to save you."

She moved closer to the almost completely transformed wolf and nuzzled her face against the soft fur and murmured, "You have to wake up Amber. There are people who love you and most importantly, there's a very annoyed Vampire outside my door who keeps intruding my thoughts every five seconds to see if you're okay. And you know what the best part is? When you wake up, you can have him grovel a little... okay, maybe a lot and get a chance to kick his ass if you'd like. That's who you are Amber... you don't take shit from anybody."

Fiona paused only to take a deep breath.

"Amber MacFarlane, wake up right now. That's an order."

Fiona released the fully formed paw from her tummy and smiled at the wolf staring at her with its sky blue eyes.

"Welcome home," she said, drawing the wolf into her arms.

Fiona

The sound startled her and Fiona pulled away to stare at Amber. It wasn't words that she was hearing --at least not human words -- but it was a thought transmitted to her; translating itself into words inside her mind.

"Did you just..."

Yes.

"But how?" She certainly didn't speak wolf.

You're also my Alpha. Pack bonds run deeper than blood... haven't I told you this before?

"Ah yes. The hierarchies," she replied with a smile that slowly faltered when she realized that she was talking to the animal half of Amber. "You didn't succumb to my suggestions?"

A low rumble could be heard from the wolf, as though she was laughing.

You forgot that your powers don't work on me.

Fiona was so amazed at what she was learning. Did these Weres really have dual consciousness? Oh, she remembered all right when they were in New York. Amber refused to be in her human form when Fiona was first learning to control her powers. It seemed as though Vampire powers do not affect the wolf in her at all.

"But you could communicate to Draven. How?"

The wolf stared at her for a long while before answering: Because she wanted him.

Fiona raised an eyebrow at the wolf. She was certainly the reason for Amber's stubborn streak. Fiona knew that it was the animal part of the Weres that could scent out their mates, not the human part.

"So... would you like to see your mate now?" she asked in amusement, watching the wolf's eye glow in arrogance. A moment later, she simply curled and hid her face with her long bushy tail.

Fiona couldn't help rolling her eyes now. She knew that look. It was the same look that Eian would give her when he was pretending not to sulk; pretending that he didn't want his mate to come up and stroke his ego... and other things.

Blushing slightly, Fiona got up and slowly walked towards the door; her mind seeking out her own mate's subconscious. Whatever she and Amber shared apparently tired her out and she desperately wanted Eian right now.

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers