Into the Vampire's Lair Ch. 14 Epilogue

Story Info
Answers and Punishments.
9k words
4.76
28.3k
37
Story does not have any tags

Part 14 of the 14 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/19/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

NB: Finally, closure. Thank you to wildheartedangel for editing this chapter and to Mokkelke and Whiteboy11475 for proofreading it. J

Also, heartfelt thank you goes out to my readers for sticking through this story to the end. I've tried my best to tie all the loose ends so I hope you will have an enjoyable read.

-ArtForm-

****

Epilogue -- 6 months later

Amber was leaning back against the sofa with her feet up on a stool and feeling really frustrated. Ever since she hit her second trimester, Draven and Eian had cornered her into what felt like house arrest and she resented it. Amber needed to work; keep her mind off the uncertain future of her baby and more importantly, keep busy enough so her memories would return at a controlled pace --not in torrents each time she relaxed.

And she was just too goddamn relaxed at home right now that she wanted to throw things around just so she could clean up the mess --not that Draven would allow her to do any housework either and there was no use lying to a mind-reading mate.

"I'm pregnant, not bedridden!" she yelled into the empty house. Eian had it built within a month after she was discharged from the hospital and while it was a lovely split level family accommodation, Amber felt really lonely in it since there was practically no one inside but her.

Rubbing her tummy absently, Amber got up from the sofa and decided to rummage through her kitchen for the tenth time that morning.

"Why are there no chocolates when you need them?" she muttered then turned to look at the wrappers in the sink. "Oh! Guess I --no, I mean we ate them all," she laughed, patting her tummy. Craving unfulfilled, she trudged back to the living room to sit on the sofa.

Then she started to cry.

"I'm fat," she moaned. "I ate all the chocolate in the house --including the secret stash I keep in my desk drawers. And that's not all! My ankles are swollen, my breasts are aching and I keep peeing every few minutes! With my body temperature so high, I feel like a walking oven and what can I do? Nothing! I am going to die from inactivity!"

As pregnant and frustrated as she was, Amber knew that her Alpha's orders were meant for the safety of the pack. She was a high ranking wolf; she should understand the sacrifice that she has to make. Didn't Fiona make the same sacrifice too? She had to stop going to work and stayed home pretty much all the time until she gave birth a month ago.

But Fiona had no complications during her pregnancy or delivery. She didn't even have cravings or swollen ankles or ugly stretch marks on her pretty white skin! And her mate was with her all the time! It's so unfair.

Amber didn't want to sulk. It wasn't really her fault that her mate happened to be a Vampire right? And it wasn't her fault that he had to be a Pureblood sitting on some important sounding Council either.

"It's all his fault," she nodded to herself, feeling slightly better. "If he wasn't, he'd be here massaging my feet and spoiling me and suffocating me..." she sulked.

Right at that moment, she felt a strong kick and vaguely saw the bump against her tummy where her baby's feet had kicked. Amber stopped sulking immediately.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart. Mummy's feeling cranky and neglected. I didn't mean that of course. I wouldn't have you if I hadn't found my mate..." she tried to soothe the baby, rubbing her tummy constantly. Although she couldn't remember how it was even possible for them to mate safely, this child inside her was truly a gift and she would do everything to protect it.

Amber had pretty much remembered who she was, what her position in the pack was and how she ended up being mated to a Vampire but that tiny puzzle of how they could mate still gnawed at her mind. Draven must have bitten her during mating but why wasn't she dead?

Closing her eyes, Amber tried to relax; knowing that the moment she stopped being agitated, her mind would clear up and she'll begin remembering things.

In an office far away, someone else was also puzzling over the same question as Amber.

***

Meanwhile, Draven was thinking of Amber as he sat in his office poring over the daily reports from the various Council departments. He didn't like the idea of leaving her at home with guards at the door and had contemplated being absent from work for the next few months. However both Eian and his parents had advised against it.

It was normal for the Pureblood on the Board of Elders to be on hiatus as and when he or she liked but Draven's absence in particular would raise red flags because of his association with a Werewolf mate and the MacFarlane pack. Draven hated it but he knew this was necessary. It was the only way he could keep his mate and his baby under the radar of whoever it was after them.

Every fortnight, for the past six months, he had kept his participation to the minimal and made sure he read the minds of his fellow Elders at every opportunity he could. However, it was no easy feat seeing that most of them were older than him --not just by the centuries but by millenniums --their minds were capable of blocking even his strongest penetrating focus.

So, in other words, he learnt nothing.

A knock on his door jerked him out of his thoughts and when it opened, he was not surprised to see Patrick walk in.

"How are you doing?" he asked kindly. And she?

Draven smiled at the mental question and nodded. "Close the door Patrick and sit down."

After doing as he was told, Patrick looked at Draven in the eye and started delivering his report.

Rogue Hunter Unit received orders from the Intelligence Unit seven months ago to keep a watch on Elder Benedicta for suspicious misdemeanor. The order was to terminate effective immediately.

Draven raised his eyebrows in genuine surprise. It was no wonder that the loss of Benedicta hadn't caused much surprise or outrage amongst the Council ranks. However, he had a feeling that everyone had assumed that she was taken out by one of the Rogue Hunters as ordered. But that would mean that everyone already knew she was being targeted and yet gave her no advice. Or...

Patrick, is the source legitimate?

Patrick gave a smile and shook his head. Even amongst us there are those who look down on the common-level Vampires and it is truly their loss. We're invisible and ignored so when they talk, they don't care if we're around because they think nobody will believe us. But I know you believe me Draven. One of the common-levels working in the RHU told me something very interesting. Apparently, that specific order was only added recently but was made to look like it had been scheduled seven month ago.

But whoever placed that order made the mistake of not conscripting our unit's assistance.

I agree Draven. No assassination is allowed to be executed without the Damage Reversal enforcers on standby. Hunters never bother to dispose of the body or worry about witnesses. I feel like their freaking cleaning crew sometimes.

Draven smirked at Patrick's response. Did your source say who drafted that order? Or who manipulated the system?

No Sir. He only told me that the Head of RHU was unhappy when he was approached by one of the Elders regarding Benedicta's assassination. The Head was sure that the order hadn't been there seven months ago and they had a big argument about it.

Draven frowned. Now that Benedicta was out, there was no use asking if it was a male or female Vampire who argued with the Head of the RHU.

Is that all Patrick?

Yes.

Okay, then you're free to go.

When Patrick had left, Draven leaned back in his seat and considered his next move. If he approached the Head of RHU right away, it might alarm whoever that argued with him. The Elder might run and Draven would have no actual person to interrogate. But whoever it was that argued with the Head is not necessarily a suspicious character. He could have seen the discrepancy and wanted to find out the truth.

Sighing to himself, Draven picked up his phone and called the Head of the RHU in. He'd take the chance for this was his only lead.

***

An hour later, Draven was sitting in Elder Leon's office; mind focused to penetrate the Vampire's mind the moment he let his guard down.

"Young Lord, what brings you here today?" asked Leon kindly. Draven always thought the Ancient was very gentle but the fact that he argued with the Head of RHU made him a suspect.

"Leon, how many centuries have you served on the Board?"

Leon frowned at the strange question but answered politely, "Close to nine, my Lord. Are you... dissatisfied with my services?"

"Do you consider yourself the head of the organization? That you have perfect right to interrogate Heads of departments and send termination orders without discussing with the others?"

Leon's eyes widened partly in fear and partly in shock. Blinking guiltily, he looked away for a minute before lowering his head humbly.

"Young Lord... I have looked after this Board and this Council for almost a millennium and I consider every one of our staff as a part of my family. And never... never in all my centuries of service has one of my own been assassinated without my prior knowledge. There are proper channels to correct misbehavior --termination of life is always the last."

"What are you saying Leon?"

"Pardon me, young Lord... but I fear that something has slipped past my awareness; right under my nose even and I sought to right a wrong..."

Draven raised an eyebrow warily. "You don't trust me."

The Ancient's eyelashes fluttered rapidly --a sign that Draven was right.

"I... I stood up for you young Lord during the voting. But now I do not know... Benedicta had many disagreements with your position on the Board and her sudden death makes us all suspicious of you. Please forgive me young Lord... but I had to know the truth."

"So you went to RHU and argued with the Head?"

Leon nodded slowly. "I wanted to know for sure who sent the orders..."

"And only a Pureblood could override any orders in the system," replied Draven with understanding. "Well then, Leon... I will tell you who killed her if you let down your guard and let me read your mind. We both want the truth don't we?"

Leon widened his eyes and hesitated. He was much older and stronger but Draven was a powerful Vampire in his own right too...

"I won't obliterate your memories. I promise," assured Draven. He had seen the fear in the Ancient's eyes and understood. "We'll ask your secretary as witness. If I do more than read your mind, then she has the authority to demand my removal and termination effective immediately."

Leon nodded and buzzed his secretary in. A moment later, he relaxed; dropping his guard down as Draven gently placed his fingers at the side of the Ancient's temple.

Images after images flooded Draven's mind, almost pushing him backwards and out of the Ancient's head.

So this is what it feels to read the mind of someone so ancient...

Draven had to scale through the many centuries worth of memories; glimpsing occasionally at the members of the Board and seeing how they've been elected or replaced accordingly. It was a tiring process but Draven finally narrowed the time line to ten years ago; the day Aramis Culzean took office as the Pureblood representative on the Board.

Benedicta had been there and while she was vocal, she never raised her voice when Aramis spoke. Draven rifled through the memories of what Leon saw or heard and was feeling upset that he found nothing useful... until he noticed Benedicta at his wedding announcement ball. She shouldn't be there. Apart from Leon and the Enforcers, the ball was strictly for Pureblood families.

Draven tried sifting through for instances of contact between Leon and Benedicta and eventually found it. His father was talking to Leon about security when a tall, handsome Vampire came up to introduce himself. Draven read Leon's assessment of the Vampire as being a Pureblood from the New World families; possibly some of the earlier families who moved from Europe to America.

That didn't surprise Draven. His father had wanted him married to a Pureblood so desperately that inviting American families wasn't out of the ordinary. Draven saw the Pureblood introducing his sister to Aramis and Leon, quoting her talents and abilities and ensuring them that she was of a fine stock. However, what interested Leon, and Draven too, was the Vampire standing slightly behind the Pureblood.

It was Benedicta --the Pureblood's wife.

Draven didn't think much of it at the moment and continued leafing through Leon's other memories --in particular the ones just slightly after Draven's induction into office and after Benedicta's death. Leon was telling the truth after all. He had been doing his own investigation regarding her death and was convinced that it was not an ordered assassination.

Taking his hands away from Leon's temples, Draven stumbled back slightly and took a seat. That had drained him considerably.

"Leon, who am I and who is this?" asked Draven, pointing to the secretary.

"You're the newest addition to our Board; young Lord Culzean and that is my secretary Trina."

"I assure you that I did not remove any memory of yours. Trina, you were my witness right?"

"Yes my Lords..." she nodded her head and waited to be excused.

Once she was gone, Draven looked over at Leon and admitted, "I killed her... but not for the reasons that you think."

"Young Lord! How could you!"

"She nearly killed my mate Leon. And I am not accusing lightly. She stalked and attacked my mate and almost ripped her abdomen out."

Leon covered his mouth to hide his horror. "But... but why didn't you just tell us young Lord? Why did you pretend it was an assassination by the Rogue Hunters?"

"I had a hunch that she was doing it under the order of someone stronger within the organization. Benedicta was a smart and vocal Elder but she does not do grunt work like stalking after someone. We have trackers for that and they are much more qualified and efficient."

"I apologize Draven," Leon looked sad. "How's your mate? Did she...?"

"She managed to survive. Benedicta went against our basic law with regards to the other races. As the strongest race, we were told not to attack humans and Weres unless in dire circumstances and trust me Leon, my mate did not even leave a scratch on Benedicta. Not one. And you know what she did to make sure of that? She broke my mate's wrists. Broke them Leon! How inhumane is that?"

"But why was there the false order when she's already dead?"

"That's the question I'm going to ask our culprit. It's safe to say that whoever made that order wanted to increase suspicions within the ranks towards me. If there were enough opposition to me being on the Board, then I could be removed from office."

"But the orders... if they didn't come from you then who? Any override in the system needs the seal of the Pureblood in order for it to go through."

"You mean like this?" asked Draven, pointing to the signet ring bearing the Culzean crest.

"Yes," said Leon and for a moment the two of them stared at each other before rushing out towards the Rogue Hunter Unit department.

***

Draven and Leon took the documents with the seal and went back to Leon's office. They did not say a word to each other until they were within the safety and confines of his office.

"Whose seal is it?" asked Draven. "As you can see, it is not mine."

"It's not a European seal," he muttered, laying out the family crests of all the Pureblood families under the Council's tutelage. Draven looked at them and frowned.

"We couldn't possibly have allowed anybody to just... wait. Did Benedicta wear her family crest with her?"

Leon frowned, "Nobles do not carry signets around. Surely she would know that."

"Yes but she's married to a Pureblood isn't she?"

"You think her husband came here to cover up her own death? That's such a terrible thing to say!" exclaimed Leon.

"If she was wearing it, anyone could have had access to that signet and place that order."

"That surely enlarges the pool of suspects now young Lord..."

"Yes but I need you to check if her husband was here recently. He must have come to arrange for her body."

A moment of silence passed between them.

"I'm afraid Lord Russell did not make the trip young Lord. He gave instructions to return Benedicta's remains to her family and to give her a Noble's burial."

"Benedicta is married to the Pureblood running the American council?" asked Draven in surprise.

"Well... she's his second wife if I'm not wrong young Lord. After his first wife died, he left for America and has been there ever since. He even left his son here with his brother-in-law and hardly comes to visit."

"Leon... we need to know who sent that false order. Whoever sent it has to be the one who gave orders for Benedicta to follow my mate. I want to know what exactly they wanted from Amber."

"I understand my Lord... We shall have to bring this up during our Board meeting tomorrow. Only the Elders are allowed into the RHU system."

"Yes... I think that's what we should do. And Leon? This time, I want Enforcers outside the doors and at all exits while the meeting commences. Can you help me arrange it?"

"I will."

***

When Draven finally reached home that evening, he was exhausted but feeling hopeful that the meeting tomorrow would yield some answers. After relieving the two guards standing outside his home, he entered to find Amber asleep on the sofa with her feet up on the table.

She looked so fragile lying there but upon closer inspection, had an annoyed expression on her face. Draven had a feeling that he had put it there.

"Guess I'll have to kiss it away then," he mused, tiptoeing closer to his mate. Even though she was wearing an oversized tattered t-shirt, with her hair messy and unkempt, he still found her sexy. Rubbing his nose against hers, he roused her slowly with gentle kisses on her lips.

"Can I have sex now?" she murmured, waking up and stretching slightly. "I've been bored and waiting all day," she complained, blinking her eyes to look up at him.

"What?" he replied in surprise. "Aren't you getting too big for that honey?"

Her eyes widened immediately and she sat up in anger. "Are you calling me fat? Oh god you just did didn't you?" she squealed before pushing him away.

"No! That's not what I meant!" he protested but she was already yakking about her ankles, chocolate and a host of other complaints as she waddled away from him. Her hands were flagging around and Draven was sure that if he came too close she might accidentally smack his face.

"Shower with me," he suggested as he leaned against the wall behind her. Amber stopped complaining to turn around and look at him.

"Why?" she asked suspiciously then started to sniff at herself.

"Come here," he laughed as he took her by the hand and walked up towards their bedroom. "I want to see you naked so you'll know I still love you."

Amber stopped resisting. "You're using the 'L' word to get away with it."

"Yeah, but it's working," he smiled as he took off the t-shirt from her body. As expected, she wore nothing underneath.

"I'm a burning oven and I was alone at home..."

"I didn't say anything!"

"Oh please. You're my mate. I can read your mind like an open book."

Draven nipped her neck lightly as he helped her into the bathroom. "I'll draw a bubble bath to soak your tired body okay?"

"Or I can soak and you can shower. There's no space for the three of us."

"There will be," he said firmly as he began to undress. "If not, you can sit on top of me." He winked playfully. "But for now, I want you to soak and relax, while I wash away this grime in the shower. I won't be long, I promise."

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers