Intrusion Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Well, hello there, Caleb.

His smile widened an inch. "Just a second. The rest of your order will be out in just a minute." His warm gold eyes locked onto hers, his eyes just intriguing as the rest of him.

Gold, not grey. For a millisecond, Miranda felt a twinge of disappointment. Some hidden, masochistic part of her mind had been secretly hoping that this handsome stranger would have turned out to be her masked intruder. She still hadn't seen his face, only those strangely beautiful eyes, and her mind had spent most of its free time spinning wild tales of what he might look like and who he might be. She'd spent several nights fantasizing about finally unmasking him, or accidentally bumping into a stranger on the street and seeing those same grey eyes. Sadly, none of these insane fantasies had come to pass, and her companion's identity was as mysterious as ever.

For now, though, she was perfectly content to push her frustrated imagination aside and admire her current male companion.

Caleb 's eyes flicked away from her for an instant, noticing Laurie waiting for her at their table. His gaze returned to her, his smile now more playful. "I haven't seen you or your friend in here before."

Miranda shrugged. "We come in once a month. It's a bit of a ritual we've had since we were in college."

His smile widened. "Can't resist those garlic fires, can you?"

Her own smile turned slightly impish. "Something like that. The sandwiches are amazing, too."

One of the line cooks rang the small silver bell on his side of the window, signaling an order was ready. Caleb turned to grab it, handing her the cold plate. Miranda smiled and grabbed her own tray from the counter, stepping back to adjust her grip.

Caleb's blazing smile returned. "You enjoy that."

She bit down hard on the inside of her lip to stifle any chance of uttering anything even remotely embarrassing or inappropriate, which had been a nasty habit of hers since high school. Instead, she smiled flirtatiously and spun on her heels, striding confidently back to her table. She made certain to take steady steps and keep an eye on the wait staff, lest she make a slight misstep or slam into a busser and end up in a greasy pile on the floor.Thatwould certainly keep her handsome cashier interested in her, wouldn't it?

Miranda sighed softly as she set the plates down on the smooth wooden table and retook her seat in the booth. She smoothed her skirt and delicately flicked her napkin into her lap, then reached for her glass. Glancing upwards, she noticed a small, wicked smile gracing Laurie's lips.

Miranda stared her friend, intrigued. "What?"

Laurie's smile grew wider as she jerked her head towards the counter. "Somebody likes you."

Miranda almost choked on her drink. "Shut up!"

Laurie giggled teasingly. "I'm serious. He was looking at you like a hungry-"

She reached out and playfully smacked her friend on the arm. "Eat your damn salad."

Desperate to ignore her friend's teasing, Miranda set her sights on lunch. She tied her hair back in a loose ponytail and pulled her plate towards her. The pulled pork sandwich she'd ordered was still steaming, as warm and inviting as the handsome man who'd handed it to her. Her stomach rumbled viciously; it had been weeks since she'd eaten one of these mythical in-house pork sandwiches, and now she was practically drooling over the table. Like any rational person, food was Miranda's ultimate comfort. It had the power to make a bad seem day better, a strange event seem more normal, and a chatty friend far more quiet.

They ate in relative silence, more concerned with their food than their conversation. Every once in a while, Miranda would look up and notice Laurie staring at her, that teasing smile still plastered on her face. She would glare back and return to her sandwich. Silently, she fought the urge to glance towards the counter, part of her wanting to catch another glimpse of Caleb.

Stop it. You're not in high school.

Still, it had been a long time since her last romantic relationship had ended. Amicable split as it may have been, she still missed the extra company and spontaneity of another person. There was already an obvious mutual attraction between her and Caleb. Maybe this time, she could have a guy take her to bedwithoutbreaking into her apartment first.

Finally, after several minutes of stuffing their faces like starved animals, they were finished. They sat back into their seats, pushing clean plates and scrunched napkins towards the center of the table. Miranda resisted the impulse to lick her fingers clean - that sandwich was as fabulous as ever. Laurie stood up first, stretching her arms over her head as Miranda slid out of her own seat. Laurie reached down and patted her belly gently.

"I swear, this place has the best food in the city. If we ate here any more often, I'd be fat within a month."

Miranda laughed sarcastically. "Be quiet. You run three marathons a year. You couldn't gain weight if you tried." She grabbed her plate and glass off the table then stepped aside, waiting for Laurie to do the same.

Laurie grabbed her own dishes and turned, taking an instinctive step towards the main counter. She paused suddenly, a slow, evil smile spreading across her face. She turned around and placed her own dishes on top of Miranda's, grinning playfully.

"Here. Why don'tyoutake them? I'll wait for you out in the car."

Miranda grimaced at her now larger pile of dishes, irritated by her friend's laziness. She glanced over towards the counter, quickly realizing what Laurie's actual plan was; her handsome cashier was still standing guard at the register. She turned back to her friend, glaring.

"You. Bitch."

Laurie flashed a brilliant smile and started towards the main door to the café. "See you outside!" She flounced out the door, leaving Miranda standing alone by their table, hands full of dirty dishes. She sighed to herself, now extremely displeased.

Damn it.

Laurie was certainly focused on hooking her up with someone, wasn't she? Why else would she bolt out the door and leave her friend to drop off the stack of dishes and glasses by herself? Internally, Miranda scowled to herself. As much as she enjoyed flirting, she didn't enjoy being forced into it. However, she now stood in the middle of a crowded restaurant, holding a stack of dirty dishes and plates, glaring at the front door like an idiot. Dropping the plates off at the counter was her only real option at the point.

Rolling her eyes at her friend's way-too-helpful antics, she turned and made her way towards the counter. She straightened her spine, squared her shoulders, and plastered her warmest smile onto her face. God forbid Caleb ever see her scowling at her friend because of some extra dishes. She approached the counter, watching as her sexy cashier rang up the newest order. Closing the till, he looked up, smiling when he noticed her carrying the pile of tableware. He beckoned her over and she happily complied, darting forward so she could set the first pile of dishes onto the counter. Before she could set the rest of the dishes down, he reached out and grabbed the edge of the plate and gently tugged, pulling it out of her grasp.

"I'll take that." He grinned at her, his eyes showing hints of playful lust.

She smiled back. "Thanks."

He looked over her shoulder, scanning the café for Laurie. "Your friend bail on you?"

Miranda shook her head. "No, she's waiting for me out in the car."

He nodded as he grabbed the second pile of plates and turned to set them down on the smaller counter behind him. Miranda dug her wallet out of her purse, pulling a few bills out to toss into the tip jar. He turned back to her just as she was stuffing her wallet back into her bag. She looked up and smiled at him, holding out the small stack of bills.

"Here. Thanks for the meal. It was awesome, as always."

He grinned and reached out towards her, grabbing the tip with one hand and her fingers with the other. She watched as he continued to grin at her, wordlessly raising her hand to his mouth and placing a gentle kiss on the back of her hand. His lips were warm, soft as flower petals, the little bit of scruff around his mouth tickling her skin.

"Merci, mon cher."

She giggled as he released her hand, pulling it back slowly and pressing it against her chest like some giddy teenager. His golden eyes bored into hers, intensely focused. She chewed her lip seductively, her stomach twisting in the most delightful way. This man wasfine,and though she hadn't been in a relationship for months, the prospect of rolling around in bed with him didn't seem like a bad idea. Taking a guy like this back to her apartment? Now that was an acquisition she could absolutely support. For a split second, an image of her masked intruder, belt in hand, flashed into her mind, which she quickly brushed aside.

No, he doesn't count, orgasms be damned. He. Doesn't. Count.

"Maybe you could stop by and eat here again sometime?" Caleb asked, his smile so electric it practically raised the temperature in the entire café.

She pursed her lips playfully, giving that suggestion some thought. "I could try to swing by a little more often."

His eyes darkened. "Without your friend."

She swallowed hard and nodded. "I'll give it some thought."

"Please do." His smile softened a bit, but his eyes remained just as enticing as ever. "You have a good rest of your day, Miranda."

The sound of her name on his lips made her shudder internally. She nodded her head, her smile now refined and polite, but just as inviting. "You, too."

She turned and made her way towards the door. She fought the urge to turn around and wave to him, cautious about coming off as too desperate. She pushed the door open and walked out onto the sidewalk, fresh breeze catching her hair as she exited the building. She paused, glancing around for Laurie's old navy Corolla. She spotted it a halfway down the block, and started down the street, her mind slightly hazy from her final conversation with Caleb.

Se hadn't felt this giddy about talking to a guy since high school, but something about the warmth of his eyes and the brilliance of his smile had her feeing more hopeful about a relationship than she had been in months. He seemed charming and intelligent at first glance and something in her gut told her that pursuing him might be a good path to take. She'd missed this warm, bubbly sense of excitement. Maybe shewouldswing by the café more often.

She stopped at Laurie's car, pulling the door open and ducking inside. Closing the door, she smoother her hair back and buckled herself in, settling into her seat. She waited for several seconds, expecting Laurie to start the car and pull away from the sidewalk. Nothing. Confused, she looked over to see her friend leaning across her seat leering at her, her chin cupped in her hand and an evilly playful smile plastered to her face.

Sigh.

"So," Laurie chirped, "how'd it go?"

Miranda shook her head and turned to stare out the window. "Shut up and drive, Laurie."

Laurie pulled back and let out a sharp bubble of laughter before starting the engine. She reached over and smacked Miranda on the shoulder. "Hey, you can thank me at the wedding."

"Shut up. And drive. Laurie."

Laurie laughed again, then sat back in her seat and pulled the car away from the curb. Miranda continued to stare out the passenger's side window, allowing herself to be lost in her thoughts once more. Her mind slowly replayed the different scenes her head, her emotions going through one roller coaster loop after another: her masked intruder's gloved hand smacking against her ass cheek, Caleb's bare hand gently grasping her own; her intruder's calculated, experienced pace, and Caleb's natural, unscheduled reactions; dark, passionate grey eyes, and warm, playful gold.

The two men seemed to be at war in her head, fighting for dominance over her thoughts. Both were equally inviting and terrifying, each offering something the other lacked. Caleb represented stability, normalcy, an honest sense of safety and companionship. Her masked intruder was his total opposite, offering dominance, control, a constant sense of spontaneity, and even a hint of danger. Both options sounded equally enticing for very different reasons. Miranda chewed her lip contemplatively, newly anxious about her position in life. She had two intelligent, powerful men possibly vying for her, and there was a small part of her heart that wanted to claim them both.

But she couldn't have both. One of them, she knew, would never allow that.

*****

"Thanks for the ride, girl. I've missed doing this with you." Miranda smiled as she stepped out of the car and onto the sidewalk.

Laurie grinned back. "No problem. I've missed it, too. We don't get to do this much anymore since you were hired at Marsden."

Miranda sighed, glancing down at her handful of bags. "I know, but I have to pay for this shit somehow."

"Fair enough. Have a good night, Randa!" Laurie started to pull away, and Miranda turned towards the front doors of her apartment building. She fumbled for her wallet, grabbing the keycard out of its slot, the started up the smooth stone steps that graced the entrance to the building.

"Hey!" Miranda stopped, turning around towards the parking lot. Laurie had stopped the car a few feet down the curb and was leaning over the passenger's seat, calling to her through the open window. "Don't spend too much time fantasizing about your handsome cashier guy! Maybe he could fire up your burners for real sometime!"

Miranda blushed furiously through her laughter. "Get out of here, Laurie!"

Her friend barked out a sharp laugh before sitting back into her seat. Miranda waved as Laurie pulled away from the apartment building, rolling her eyes at her friend. God, she was almost desperate to get her laid. She sighed as she swiped her card in the security lock and pushed the doors open. If Laurie had her way, Miranda would be rolling around in bed with a new guy every night of the year until she could find one she could develop an emotional connection with. A very tempting plan, but probably not a very successful one.

She crossed the lobby, waving tiredly to the desk attendant, who happily waved back. She headed towards the stairs, shifting the handles of her shopping bags in her hands as she climbed the steps. She hadn't bought too much, a few new shirts from here or dishes from there; Laurie had walked away with a trunk full of shit, as usual. It was a monthly ritual for them to get together for lunch and walks through the local mall, but it was more of a social event than a monetary one. Spending time with her friend was far more important than spending money on plates and pants.

Finally reaching her floor, Miranda jostled her bags around as she grabbed her keys. Nudging her apartment door open, she squeezed inside and kicked it closed, hurrying towards her couch so she could drop her bags and lock the door. Sighing in relief and exhaustion, she turned around and did a quick visual scan of her apartment. The small lamp on her nightstand was still on, just as she'd left it, casting a soft throughout the room that kept it from being totally dark. Her small side window was still closed, which mean that her mysterious guest hadn't made another surprise appearance yet. Everything else seemed to be in perfect condition, untouched by either maintenance men or masked intruder.

She sighed happily and rolled her neck as she made her way back to her couch, reveling in the small cracks and cricks as she walked. God, she was tired. A shower sounded like pure heaven after all the hours they'd spent tearing through the shops. She braced her hands on the back edge of her couch, peering down at her small pile of bags.

"Alright. I'll unpack these, maybe reheat some soup, and grab a quick shower. Then I can collapse into bed and-" Someone forcefully cleared their throat behind her, drawing a sharp yelp from her throat as she spun around and scrambled backwards, nearly losing her balance and falling over her couch.

Her familiar masked companion stood a few feet away from her, leaning back against the small section of wall that divided her closet and bathroom. He was dressed in his customary head-to-toe black uniform, all the way down to those seductive leather gloves. His arms were folded against his chest, the fingers of one hand tapping rhythmically on his forearm. He glared down at her through the small eyeholes in his mask, grey eyes darkening with annoyance.

Oh. Shit.

Miranda swallowed sharply, her throat now dry from panic. Her stomach started to tie itself in knots again; no matter how many times he snuck into her apartment, it was always a shock to see him standing in her home, waiting for her. She was still baffled by the fact that he was in here with her. The room had been totally silent when she'd come in. Even the window was closed-

Motherfucker closed the window.

Damn it. As always, he was one step ahead of everyone else's tactics, smart and well-planned enough to fool her over and over. There probably wasn't a security system in the world that he couldn't circumvent. He knew she'd look for some sign that he was in here, the open window being the most obvious one. He'd closed it, fooling her into thinking she was alone. Covering his tracks every time, even with her. The man was a true professional.

Taking a deep breath, Miranda pushed herself away from the couch, regaining her balance. She chewed her lip for a moment, waiting for him to move towards her, to pull out his knife, to dosomething.He stayed completely still, save for his tapping fingers, watching her with narrowed eyes.

"Uh. . . .hi." She cleared her own throat nervously, now overly-anxious about his presence.

Oh, now we're greeting him. That's lovely. Next thing you know, we'll be baking him cookies.

He continued to stare at her, remaining silent as always. His grey eyes, once warm and playful, were cold now, almost impassive. His arms remained crossed, his entire body stiff and unapproachable. He seemed to emanate an aura of seriousness. Miranda shifted slightly, now uncomfortable with his endless glare. She'd never minded his silence until now. Before, it felt like part of his game, a way for him to toy with her emotions and force her to guess at his intentions. Now, with his angry eyes and rigid form, his silence felt more like a threat than a tease.

Shit. He looks pissed.

She chewed her lip nervously, far more intimidate by his presence than ever. Their previous interactions had done little more than show his skill with a blade and knots, and proved that he enjoyed control above all else. Was he intimidating? Of course, but not exactly a danger to her. Now, however, it seemed his role in their game had shifted, becoming more hostile than startling. Miranda glanced around the room uneasily, trying to find a way to fill to void between them. The more he stared at her in silence, the more uncomfortable she felt.

"What?" She tried shrugging her shoulder casually, feigning confidence. "Am I late or something?"

He sighed and pulled away from the wall, striding towards her with a distinct air or irritation. He reached down into the pocket of his jeans and pulled out a small piece of paper, unfolding it as he approached her. Miranda stayed still as he walked towards her, her instincts suggesting that remaining still was a better option than making a run for it. He stopped a few inches away from her, peering down at her with those darkly beautiful eyes. He held out his hand, extending the piece of paper for her to take. She glanced down at the paper, then back into his eyes as she reached out and gently pulled it from his hand. The moment she did, he re-folded his arms, his eyes softening just a bit as he waited for her.