Iron Heart Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
creepyrj
creepyrj
505 Followers

The drive to Leta's was actually fast and they were in and out in less than twenty minutes. The drive to Rochelle's school was another matter. They ended up having to go on side streets to avoid the mess that was the highways. As they drove Leta noticed Ben's eyes were full of apprehension of what was coming. Seeing them that way made her understand right away what was wrong.

"You OK, papi?" she asked sweetly.

"Yes, and at the same time a huge no," Ben said honestly.

"Afraid of what she's gonna say," she said with a tone that was full of realization.

"Yes," was the only answer Ben could say that was truthful.

"Papi, why don't we just let this happen and see where it goes," Leta offered.

Ben looked at her and the look on her face showed that she wasn't afraid. The only thing in her eyes was a determination of what they had felt right and that everything else would work out just fine.

"I said your my man, papi, and I mean it. Even if she doesn't like me, she can accept that we are together," she said firmly.

Ben chuckled as she emphasized the point by squeezing his hand.

"It is what it is then," Ben said after a returning the squeeze.

"That's all I could ever want, Benjamin," she said purposely saying his name with that Spanish lilt he loved so much.

Ben turned his attention back to the road and they continued on to the school. When they arrived, Leta got into the back of the car and waited silently as they saw Rochelle run up with the umbrella.

Rochelle saw her dad's truck roll up into the crowded parking lot and ran to it, juggling with her backpack and the umbrella. She didn't get too wet as she ran and as she quickly got into the truck with Ben smiling at her.

"Hey baby, how was it?" he asked.

"Good. I got a lot of homework to do cause they said school might be closed down for the next day or so if it floods," she explained.

"OK. We can deal with that. Hungry?" he asked.

"Starved!" she exclaimed.

"Well on that note why don't we all get some lunch then," Ben said and looked behind him.

"All?" Rochelle asked confused and looked back.

Leta pleasantly smiled as Rochelle looked at her and waved. Rochelle's eyes got big and she

turned back.

"Umm...daddy. Uhhh...who is that?" she asked in a very confused tone.

"I am Leta Dominguez and you must be Rochelle," Leta replied not trying to sound bossy or unpleasant.

"Hi," Rochelle said in shock.

"You remember when you guys asked me if I was seeing someone, that weekend when we were down the shore?" Ben asked and Rochelle nodded nervously. "Well, here she is," Ben said proudly.

Rochelle's eyes bugged out and she was flabbergasted. Susan had told her to give her any info on who her dad was dating, but when she saw the woman in the flesh her mind couldn't wrap itself around it. Here was a young woman, maybe a few years older than her and not white. While she was raised tolerant of other races, she couldn't picture her dad dating a Latina. As her mind swam Leta took the initiative.

"Why don't we go to that diner by your place Ben and we can all talk," Leta said trying to disarm any bomb before it could go off.

"Sounds good to me. You on board, honey?" he asked Rochelle who absently nodded.

"Daddy...This is your girlfriend?!" Rochelle exclaimed now totally at a loss.

"Yes," Leta and Ben said at the same time, smiling widely at each other.

Rochelle's head twitched hearing it said in unison. Her eyes scanned her father's face as he drove out of the parking lot and she could tell he was serious. She glanced into the mirror and saw Leta's face and could see a similar expression. Rochelle suddenly had a million questions pop up in her mind and decided to get the most pertinent out first.

"Umm...daddy, does mom know about this?" she asked timidly.

"They have made acquaintance," he said chuckling.

Leta smiled darkly at that, but held herself in check. Rochelle saw the look and her head went back and forth between the two trying to makes heads or tails of it.

"She met mom?!" Rochelle asked and her voice was more than a bit loud.

"You could say that," Ben said and held his laugh in check.

"And she's still with you?" Rochelle asked again.

"'She' said a few things to your mother and 'she' is not quite sure your mother will think twice barging into his home and acting like she owns it. She had her chance, now he's mine," Leta jumped in, giving her own two cents on the matter.

Rochelle looked at Ben and her face demanded an explanation. The pout she gave in her confused state was a familiar one she had used to get her way in her youth, but for some reason it held no power over Ben as he smiled at her and patted her hand. Rochelle took that gesture for what it meant and switched to another route of questioning.

"OK...um are you two like, you know, serious?" she asked in a soft voice.

"Yes. I believe we are. Right, honey?" he asked Leta.

"I'd like to think so," Leta replied smiling.

Rochelle's head went down as she tried to wrap her mind around the obvious, but something was not right in her mind about things. Lost in a myriad of thoughts, she struggled a bit with her next question.

"Daddy...umm...how long...how long have you been, you know, together?" she asked after a lifetime of thinking.

"We've known each other about a month, there's been a few weeks of actual dating," he replied.

"Oh," was her one syllable reply.

"You OK, baby?" Ben asked, seeing her confusion.

"Umm...yeah I'm fine, just didn't expect this is all," she answered honestly.

Ben nodded his head. Some parts of him wanted to just tell Rochelle everything, but he wanted her to be comfortable first. As they drove to the diner Rochelle asked about two dozen more questions that skirted the issue, but then it came down to the big one.

"So how old are you Leta?" she asked softly, almost timidly.

"I'll be twenty two this year," she said in an upbeat manner.

"Wow!" Rochelle said in amazement.

"What?" Leta asked back confused by the tone in the answer.

"Umm...isn't my dad, well, you know...a bit old for you?" she asked trying not to be insensitive.

"Nope. He's perfect for me," Leta purred sweetly.

Ben smiled as she said that. He truly appreciated the way that Leta answered all her questions in a polite tone. He hoped that they could maybe find a common thing between them to make things go a little bit smoother. As he drove he saw that Rochelle's eyes were still lost. Seeing a chance to maybe make things go smoother he offered his two cents.

"You alright honey, you look a bit lost," he asked.

"Umm..yeah I'm fine, daddy. I'm just not sure of this is all," she replied in truth.

"I can understand, honey. To tell you the truth I'm still shocked myself at how things are going between us," he said back softly.

Leta heard that and looked into Ben's eyes through the rear view mirror. Ben saw the silent question in Leta's eyes and smiled as he went on, "Shocked, but very happy once I allowed myself to be open minded. I think Leta can vouch that I had my concerns at first as well about the age gap, but she quickly got rid of all my arguments and here we are," he said with a genuine smile on his face.

Leta reached up and patted his shoulder as they drove on. Rochelle took note of how she touched her dad's arm and the look was not hostile, but curious. She was still having a time trying to wrap her mind around her dad's new girlfriend, if she was that. She went quiet as she weighed her thoughts and the diner came into view. They got out of the truck and when she saw Leta her eyes got wide. Another thing became clear as she watched the Latina exit the car.

The first thing about Leta she noted was how tiny she was. Rochelle stood six feet tall and had a very nice figure, but Leta was the total opposite. Leta's tiny frame was easily a foot plus shorter than her dads, if not more, and her body was not at all what she expected. Leta had changed in the apartment from the skirt and tee to a pair of nice jeans and a black top. Leta kept the boots on as she really liked how they looked with the pants, plus Ben couldn't keep his eyes off them.

Huddled together under the huge umbrella, they all made a dash for the diner. They all tried their best to avoid getting a wet drizzling shower. Once inside, they got a booth. Leta and Ben sitting on one side and Rochelle on the other. They got their waters and Rochelle sipped hers as she kept her head down. The sight of them sitting together like that was unsettling to her.

Ben sensed the uneasiness and reached across the table to take her hand. Rochelle found her father's hand a welcoming relief. As he squeezed her hand she looked up to face him.

"So how did you guys get together?" she asked almost afraid to know.

Ben took a deep breath and looked to Leta. Leta decided to let him do the talking and nodded. With a sip of his water Ben recanted the details. He left out they already slept together, but he gave her the rundown of how they met and why they started dating. For Ben it was a simple reason, he met a great girl and wanted to see where it would go. Leta had another reason for them being together and decided to tell Rochelle in no uncertain terms why.

"I don't think I've met a guy as nice as Ben. From when we met till now he has done nothing but be a nice man, and I really like that about him," she said with a squeeze of his hand.

Rochelle had the question still in her eyes and Leta went on.

"You see before I met your dad I got blessed with one waste of time after another. From momma's boys to thieves. Hell, my last boyfriend took me for five hundred cash and all my jewelry while he used the cops to fleece me. I wasn't even looking for anyone when I met your dad. It just happened he came when my ex was being an asshole and told him off. From there, well, it just worked," Leta said smiling at Ben.

Ben leaned his head and put it on top of hers. The image was very cute and even Rochelle couldn't disagree. She looked to Leta and one last question came to mind.

"So why my dad? I'm sure there's a ton of guys your... uh, age out there you might like?" she asked cautiously.

"There are, but they aren't Benjamin here. A cutie with a big heart," she teased and flicked his nose as she said it.

Ben laughed at that and Rochelle opened her mouth in shock. The casual flick and how relaxed both seemed in each others company was a definite eye opener to Rochelle. For years she had seen her dad almost miserable with the way things were going. He would always be grumpy when no one was looking, or when he thought no one was. It hurt his family when he was miserable, but now to see him so openly happy was something that made Rochelle think hard. He was already a bit more relaxed around his daughters once the divorce was settled and when her mom wasn't bothering him. But even then he never looked this happy. Rochelle decided she asked enough questions for now as the waiter walked up.

They ordered lunch and had a happy chat as they ate. Leta actually talked with Rochelle about school and her studies, she even offered to help her with her anatomy classes. Rochelle smiled at Leta's offer. As a result, the lunch became more upbeat as it went on. Ben got them desert and the girls actually began to open up and talk a bit more. Ben noted it was subtle, but friendly and was relieved. They drove back to the apartment and talked some more. Rochelle was stunned when Leta gave her advice on how to deal with her now soon to be ex-boyfriend. Ben was wide eyed as he listened to the advice involving teasing him by saying she was now into girls.

The girls actually began to chat about things that made Ben's mind fill up with so many hopeless images he excused himself to his office. He sat back and just shook his head as his new girlfriend was helping his daughter with her clothes and homework. All in all he was relieved that they had hit it off as well as he could have hoped. While he pondered his good fortunes he pulled out his papers and went over the bills.

Leta and Rochelle sat in the living room and the conversation had shifted from boys to clothes to music. Rochelle had similar taste in music to Leta who also listened to Hip hop and Pop. The girls actually were split over a certain boy band that Leta couldn't stand and Rochelle loved.

"How can you say that?!" Rochelle exclaimed.

"Because it's the truth mama, he's a three dollar bill!" Leta said and started laughing.

"He isn't gay! There's no way!" Rochelle squealed and threw a couch pillow at her.

Leta caught the pillow and set it down. Her gaze set upon Rochelle and it was a friendly one that promised retribution should she do that again. Rochelle bounced on the couch and went on.

"He isn't gay, he's going out with what's her face! The chick that sings that one...oh what's it called," Rochelle said thinking.

"Haven't you ever heard the term, down low?" Leta said seriously.

"No! He...wait what's that?" Rochelle asked suddenly laughing.

"Bisexual, you now into both," Leta laughed and threw the pillow back.

Rochelle looked up in time to see the pillow hit her square in the face. She laughed as she was caught off guard and fell backwards. Leta laughed as she saw Rochelle fall over and to the floor. Rochelle was laughing on her back and rolled to her stomach. She looked up at Leta and was stunned to see her sitting so demurely and with a superior look on her face.

"Now meja, on to a better subject, you going to see that new movie coming out this weekend?" Leta asked smiling eagerly.

"Who isn't?" Rochelle asked as she got to her feet and sat back down with her legs under her.

Leta smiled as they continued on their conversation. She was really trying to reach out to her and was surprised at how nice Rochelle was being. A tribute to Ben's nature she was being so civil. Leta really felt Rochelle opening up to her and was shocked when after about hours of talking they were leisurely watching TV with their feet up relaxing. Leta had taken her boots off and Rochelle was watching. Rochelle wanted a pair and had a mind to beg her daddy for a pair.

"So where did you get those?" she asked eagerly.

"At the store I work at. I get a discount," Leta said smiling devilishly.

"Wait, you work at a woman's clothes store?" Rochelle asked confused.

"Yes, I have two jobs," Leta explained.

"Oh, I thought nurses made good money," Rochelle asked.

"Yes, but rent is a bitch sometimes," Leta said laughing, "Plus my car, gas, plus, it all adds up," Leta said as she cracked her toes.

"That sucks. Having to work two jobs just to get by," Rochelle replied with a sorrowed tone.

"Don't feel bad for me meja, I also like to buy clothes so it's a blessing sometimes," Leta said with a wink.

"Oh right, you get a discount on nice boots," Rochelle laughed out.

The both had a good laugh at that and Ben heard them. He peered around the corner and saw them on the couch watching TV and joking. He let out a breath and walked into the room to join them. Leta heard him coming and looked over her shoulder as he walked up.

"Anything good on?" he asked.

"Nope, just Idol reruns," Leta said with a bored tone.

"Oh gawd someone shoot me," Ben laughed.

Leta gave him a sly grin and turned up the volume. Rochelle giggled at that and looked away. While she was trying her best to be nice, she was reaching the limit of what she could handle. She did enjoy the banter between them and even the pillow incident, but her mind was fast beginning to reach its limits. As Leta looked away she looked to her father and her eyes were pleading him. Ben noticed the look and nodded his head.

Leta got up after a minute to use the facility and as she walked away Rochelle looked to her father.

"Daddy, umm...she seems nice and all, but I don't know," she said softly.

"You don't like her, honey?" he asked softly.

"I don't know. I mean...she is kinda young daddy," she said looking down.

"I thought so too baby, then I got to know her and well...." he said leaning back into his chair.

"Daddy, are you sure this is...well...something you want to do?" she asked and this time she was looking straight at her father.

Ben looked his daughter in the eyes and smiled warmly. His words would only say so much, but his body language was speaking volumes. The happiness she saw in them said enough. Rochelle bit her tongue and sat back as Leta came back into the room.

When Leta got to the edge of the couch she saw Ben smiling and realized that he was obviously talking to his daughter, than seeing how Rochelle's head was down the conversation was an obvious one. She looked to Ben and tilted her head to the door. Ben saw the motion and nodded.

"Well Meja, I think you've had enough of me for one day. Maybe we can meet up some other time and go out?" she offered.

Rochelle looked over to Leta and smiled pleasantly then looked away. Leta felt the apprehension in her eyes as she walked to the door. Ben got up and walked to the door to follow her.

"I'll take you home, honey. We'll be back in a bit sweetie," Ben said as he stopped behind Rochelle.

"OK, daddy," Rochelle said meekly.

Ben leaned forwards and kissed his daughter on the head making her smile. He gave her a good rub on the shoulders and followed Leta out the door. Rochelle looked up and watched her father walk Leta to the truck and help her in. She watched them and saw that there was a definite something between them. As she watched the truck pull away she looked at the TV and turned it off. She went to her room and turned on her laptop. Opening her email account she found her sisters chat options and began the round of gossip, and did she ever have some to dish out.

Ben and Leta braved the parkway on their way back to her apartment. She was quiet and lost in thought as they drove and Ben noticed it. He knew there was a tension in her from meeting his daughter and hoped it didn't turn her off from what they had. He reached over and stroked her shoulders in an effort of helping her relax.

Leta felt the hand on her shoulder and turned to see Ben smiling at her. They were stopped by traffic and she was able to return the smile as she saw him on the verge of saying something, but his mind was second guessing.

"Just say it, papi," Leta said calmly.

"Say what? Your cute?" he joked.

"I know that!" Leta laughed and slapped his arm, "No, what Rochelle had to say when I was in the bathroom."

"She said she was not sure of you yet and was trying to be nice. Sometimes it's better to make a good first impression and make someone feel comfortable as you make a decision of liking them or not," Ben explained.

He had taught his daughters that and it helped them in their lives. Rather than being shallow and self-centered, they tried to be helpful and forthcoming with people so not to appear flighty. Ben knew that given time Rochelle would probably be cool with her, but for now he wanted to keep them at a comfortable level.

"I see. So she was being nice, but gauging me then," Leta reasoned.

"Exactly. Plus she likes your boots," Ben said chuckling.

"So do I, that's why I bought them," Leta laughed and looked at her boots.

"I'll have to agree they are pretty bad ass," Ben said smiling as traffic broke and they made it to the exit.

"So you think the others will be alright with me and you?" she asked.

"We'll see. I don't want to force you down their throats and make them like you. That's what their mom did with them after we got divorced," Ben said.

"I am not her..." Leta began to say when she saw him raise his hand.

"I know that and so do they. And that will be your victory," Ben said and stroked her hair.

Leta gave him an amused smile and they drove into her apartment complex. Leta stretched her arms upwards and yawned a bit while Ben parked the car into the empty spot in front of her building. Ben killed the engine and turned sideways, giving her a quizzical look.

creepyrj
creepyrj
505 Followers