Iron Rain Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,763 Followers

'I wish I could say I felt sorry for her but I do not,' William thought. 'She like so many others squandered their lives and became an affliction on the human condition. That was going to change and soon the end game was nearing and all these long years of preparation were going to finally pay off and Nick was the key. All the patents were ready to file for this 'new' technology that would change society as much as the silicon chip had but with vast life altering consequences.'

"Moira, how is Nick's father doing?" William asked knowing that timing was everything.

"He is right on schedule he should be dead by Christmas are you sure about this?"

"Certain goals require certain sacrifices," William fumed at his orders being questioned.

"It's not bad enough you mur... sacrificed Nick's mother but his father as well."

"It will make him more self reliant and more likely to throw himself into the work ahead."

"Understood, by the way William..."

"Yes Moira?"

"Your frames are ready."

"Thank you Moira."

The holograms disappeared plunging the chamber into twilight and William Bell headed outside where twenty wooden frames hung to dry in the summer sun. In the frames gleaming and unblemished homemade paper created from a recipe of his own creation. One by one William carefully collected the sheets of paper made to last the test of time. He took the paper to his office a small room with stone walls and a single round window just above his work surface where his metal tipped pen and bottles of ink lay in their proper place. William placed the sheets of paper with the others and walked to the unremarkable oaken door at the rear of his office. He opened this inconspicuous entrance and stared out at the library that stretched back further than even he could see and wide as two football fields. The shelves were full of leather bound tomes, grimoires of forgotten lore and the codices of the finest minds the world had ever known. It had taken him an age to collect and soon he would be free to at long last move among his collection and enjoy it to the fullest. Smiling grimly William returned to his desk sat down, took up his pen and a fresh sheet of paper and dipped the pen into the ink...

Cyan Blue

"Nick I am so sorry for the delay on seeing this piece of property but my work schedule has just been crazy," Kat said from the back seat.

"I don't mind," I said. "I wanted all of us to be together when I looked this over and plus what's better than a road trip in the beginning of summer?"

"Where are we going?" Petra asked as she played with her new tablet computer.

"Dunwich it's close enough to Arkham for me to commute if that is the case and the property I am looking at is dirt cheap." I explained.

"Define cheap," Petra asked as she read the national news articles.

"Back taxes and the mayor wants to offer me tax incentives to build there and create jobs."

"Brilliant," Kat said smiling her winning smile, "How long until we get there?"

"Another half hour or so depending upon the roads once we actually enter Dunwich," I replied.

"Hey did you read the article on Cyan Blue?" Petra chimed in a few minutes later.

"Isn't cyan a shade of blue," Kat asked.

"Yes but it's also the name of a new foundation whose headquarters is located in New York. It says here that a multibillionaire named Cyan Michaels has started a non-for-profit organization like St. Jude's except it provides military personnel, police officers and fire fighters medical treatment who have trouble paying their bills. Says here it even provides funeral costs for them and their families. About time someone did something for the people who we take for granted."

"That is nice to read something positive when so many people have it so bad," I said.

"Well when your business takes off think of all the people who you'll be giving jobs to." Kat said. "You know if you need a secretary under you I'd be more than happy..."

"Daughter of mine! Your mouth runneth over sometimes," Petra snapped but was smiling all the same.

"Was just sayin'," Kat snickered.

"So since we are talking business," Petra segwayed into a new topic, "it's been what two days since you got the equipment how goes it?"

"It's been three days and all is well on that point but..." I said.

"But, but what?" Petra was in full mom mode in a heartbeat.

"Ever since then I haven't slept a wink," I told her.

"You sure you're okay to drive?" Kat said concern creeping into her voice now.

"That's the strange thing I am not the least bit tired in fact I have never felt better. Ever since I tried the energy drinks William sent me to taste test..."

"What energy drinks?" Petra leaned in checking out my complexion and eyes.

I reached between the seats and took out the last bottle I had finished not an hour ago.

"He said this company was trying out a new product and they were doing a study with people in my age group. I didn't think anything of it until now."

Petra took the bottle from me and looked it over. Then she performed a search on Google for the company and when she received no hits made 'that' face.

"I am not getting anything on Google," she said.

"Let me try," I said and woke up 'surfer' my new avatar for BORG.

I was going to use either Kat or Petra but decided it would be too distracting and didn't want the guys to know I had slept with either one of them. The avatar was based off a popular comic book character and seemed safe enough. The Silver Surfer with his mirror bright skin and matching surfboard were cool.

"Surfer wakey wakey," I whispered.

"By your leave Milord," the A.I. responded.

"Have a pleasant nap?" I asked.

"Yes Milord and thank you for asking. How can I be of service?"

"The energy drink bottle mom is holding," I said as I glanced over at her as she held it up for me to scan with the contact lenses. "I need to know anything you can find on the company and the product."

"So it is spoken so it shall be," the avatar said mounting his surfboard and flying off into the ethereal dimension of the internet.

"I have Surfer looking for it," I said loud enough for both of them to hear.

"I thought you were going to use me as an avatar," Kat pouted.

"I did but it was too distracting," I said before thinking it through.

"Distracting... how?" mom said using 'that' tone of voice.

"A succubus," I said softly.

"Isn't that a female sex demon?" mom asked.

"Yeah," I replied focusing on the road.

"Sounds about right," the pair said in stereo.

"You two are terrible," I said, not meaning a word of it.

"And what was my avatar dressed as?" mom asked.

"A Draenei," I said just above a whisper.

"A what," mom asked.

"You dog!" Kat replied with a whistle.

"It's a mystical creature from an online game." I tried to explain.

"Really, what's it look like?" mom asked.

I slipped my tablet from its resting place.

"Surfer wake up the tablet," I directed and with a click and hum the screen lit up. "Please display avatar Petra One."

The crystals along the screen of the tablet computer lit up and a hologram of Petra as a Draenei appeared hovering in mid air. Her skin was a navy blue with wickedly sharp black horn-like cranial extension swept up and back. Two long slender tendrils, one on either side of the head just behind the ear, swished around like a cat's tail. Her figure and musculature was that of Petra when she was around Kat's age except the prehensile tail that poked out from beneath the sexy black tunic the avatar was wearing. Like a succubus the legs ended in cloven feet that stamped the unseen ground in sexual arousal. It rotated and then appeared to be walking in the sultry way that Petra does.

"Scary accurate Nick," mom said smiling.

"I wanna see mine," Kat begged.

"NO," I said knowing how she was dressed but I was shot down instantly.

"Nick it only seems fair if I get to see my avatar Kat should see hers," mom said and that meant no arguments.

"Display avatar Kat One," I moaned.

There was no lag time and there was Kat in all her practically naked glory. The succubus counterpart was identical to Kat in all ways save the crimson skin, the short glittering black horns, long delicate bat wings, and prehensile tail with the not so traditional barb at the end and the cloven hooves. But it was the dress she was almost wearing that made me want to run and hide. The low cut gown had her tits all but falling out of the top and the bottom was split four ways front, back and on either side. It was the split in the front revealing her shaved pussy that was the cause for my embarrassment.

"Damn Nick," mom spat out.

"Damn Nick..." Kat said from the back, "I look fine!"

"You young lady..." mom began to sputter when we noticed the car next to us pacing us and the all male crew gawking at the hologram of Kat.

Faster than a striking snake mom flipped them the bird and off went the tablet.

"I'm glad you settled with the Surfer," mom finally said when her shock had worn off. "And you young lady what do you have to say for yourself?"

"Does my ass really look that good?" Kat asked and we all busted up laughing.

"Wait a second..." mom said and I knew she had figured out that those were only the first avatar of each of them. "Show us the rest."

And with much grief we ran the gambit of avatars all twenty of them, ten each. I had picked the sexiest women from comics, games, movies and books. I discovered they were actually flattered with my choices of costumes for them to wear and wiped the sweat from my forehead knowing my deepest darkest fantasy was safe.

"Is that all young man," mom asked and I nodded.

"That is all twenty of the individual avatars I designed," I replied.

I caught the glance from Kat to mom in the rearview mirror and knew I was busted.

"I don't suppose there are non-individual avatars in there," Kat purred in my ear.

"Well Nick is there," mom followed up.

"Maybe..." I croaked.

"You dirty little man whore," Kat laughed.

"Let's see them now," mom said smiling from ear to ear thoroughly enjoying my discomfort.

The first avatar set with both of them had them dressed as...

"NUNS..." Kat called out grinning ear to ear.

"Oh this is going to be priceless," mom said, "next..."

The various uniforms that followed were all from real life occupations from cops to Hooter's girls. But it was the Japanese school girls that got the most comments.

"I have that skirt," Kat said evilly.

"Well from what I have seen Nick... you have a very healthy imagination and nothing to be ashamed about."

"What," I said shocked.

"Jeez Nick you are eighteen and a guy I think that about sums it up," Kat said ending that particularly awkward conversation.

The sign for Dunwich appeared at the top of the hill and I thanked whatever gods there were for the distraction. I suspected they both knew I was being intimate with the other but no one said anything and that was fine by me. I remembered the directions to City Hall and made best speed for our first destination in the small quiet town of Dunwich.

The road began with a series of switchbacks on a tree lined two lane road. After a mile or so the road became arrow straight and we crossed over one of the tributaries of the Miskatonic River. The bridge was one of those classical covered affairs and it was obvious to all that both the bridge and roof had recently been repaired. The road sloped ever downward now as we entered the river valley with its ancient structures on either side either dead or decaying. I could see in some cases only the stone foundations of the homes that had so long ago lost the battle against time and the elements. Petra rolled down a window the smell of wild heather and lilac drifted into the car and watched her windswept hair ripple like a living thing and her smile was one of the carefree woman I never thought to see. Her and Kat had both lived under the shadow of fear for so long it was nice to catch these rare moments.

The road took on its serpentine quality again as we drove passed by the stench what could only be swampland or bogs with their putrefying matter. They were quickly left behind as the road began to rise and the hilly terrain displayed stone topped hillock that some appeared too regular of feature to be all together natural formation.

"The mayor said that this land has been inhabited for at least two thousand years and he hinted that there were remnants of the Indians that once lived here but I never suspected they could build those," I said.

The road leveled and grew straight once more and there in the middle of nowhere a tiny strip mall. Its buildings appeared as if they were erected in the nineteen fifties and that the last time they saw a coat of paint was also in that bygone era. Sun bleached wood and peeling paint were everywhere along with a preternatural stillness that spoke of little human traffic.

"Can we stop?" Kat asked almost bouncing in her seat.

"Is she always like this," I playfully asked mom.

"Only when shopping is involved besides she is a bargain hound and knows her antiques. Do we have time for a 'short' stop off Nick we don't want to make you late," mom asked.

I glanced at the car's clock and despite all the twists and turns so far we were ahead of schedule.

"We can afford five minutes so pick one shop young lady," I said sternly.

I slowed the car and Kat was moving from one side of the car to the other until with a squeal of delight she saw movement in one of the windows.

"There on the left the blue building with the barber pole," Kat directed.

I parked the car and we got a much needed stretching of the legs but Kat wasted no time and walked over to the shop. In fading gold letters it declared this establishment to be 'Stomper's Emporium of the Unusual'. The door opened with a ding of an ancient bell hung from above and Kat disappeared within.

"We better not let her out of sight for too long we don't want a repeat of the Mall of America," mom offered chasing after her daughter.

"Do I want to know?" I asked catching up with her.

"No," she said smiling as I moved ahead and opened the door for her.

"Thank you kind sir," Petra said eyes glittering.

We both gasped at the interior of the place. Expecting a series of narrow aisles heaped with junk we came across many manageable aisles with boxes on multiple shelves heaped with stuff. The owner had apparently bought out all the other buildings on this side of the street and removed those pesky walls that divided them. Petra caught up with Kat and were oohing and ahing over this bauble and that while I navigated towards a cluster of rocks, stones and crystals on a display near one of the many windows. I was examining the prettier crystals thinking they would make nice gifts for the girls when I heard it. It was a series of footfalls, heavy uneven footsteps coming from the back of the store. I didn't spy him at first and for good reason he was a dwarf and I don't mean that in a mean way I mean what I say he was a dwarf stepped right out of any great fantasy story with long snow white beard tucked into a leather belt with a lit pipe in one hand and a beer stein in the other. Riding on his left shoulder was a monstrous albino raven as white as the man's beard with a look in its eye that could only be termed intelligent. The man's right leg was held stiffly in a metallic brace that must be an antique in and of itself. This must be Stomper I thought to myself. My hands were still working picking up samples of crystal that my eyes were no longer interested in and I decided it was time to meet this relic from this strange corner of Massachusetts. I turned and approached the owner with a friendly smile and when we were close enough I offered my hand to him. But he just looked down, smiled and said...

"A hundred dollars young man," his voice was deep and rich as I expected it to be.

"Come again?" I asked and then looked down and saw that in my fog of fascination I had picked up a pitted piece of iron the size of a baseball.

"Whatcha got in your hand there son is a genuine meteorite that fell in my backyard some sixty years ago. And I am asking one hundred dollars for it." He said smiling then put the stem of his pipe to his mouth and inhaled deeply.

I looked at the meteorite closer and turned it this way then that and determined it was worth the price and the memory it would invoke.

"I'll tell you what," I began, "I'll pay you $125 for it if you tell me the story behind this piece of star iron after my meeting with the mayor."

"Well that cinches it you must be Nicholas Shaw," his face lit up and the lines that marked with weathered features smoothed just a little. "I will take that offer and you can meet me at the diner when you are finished."

"I take it there is only one diner in town," I said and he nodded then I looked over to his raven and reached out to stroke her head. "May I?"

"It all depends on her," Stomper said smiling. "She don't bite much."

I took the risk and stroked the crown of the raven's head and the reaction I got was more like a cat that a bird. She leaned into my touch and let out a sound not unlike a purr. Kat had moved to stand behind me and reached out to touch the bird and it was all beak and wings and ruckus.

"I guess I should have warned you Wombat don't much like women folk."

"Wombat," I asked. "That's an odd name for a raven."

"Not really I got her from a man from Australia," he said. "I didn't know much about Australia so I got a book out and the first animal I saw was the wombat and it kind of stuck."

"Stomper and Wombat," I said, "has a nice ring to it actually."

"We think so," the old man said stroking the raven's head now.

"You okay Kat," I asked and she nodded.

"Cat well that explains Wombat's reaction," Stomper laughed.

"Its Kat as in Katarina, not cat as in... never mind," I said blushing.

"I understand young man but you better get going or you are going to be late," Stomper reminded me and I reached for my wallet and he waved me off. "You can pay me later I trust you."

"Thank you Stomper," I said turning to leave.

"The name is Jeb but Stomper will do just as well," he said smiling and waving.

We were out the door and I was handing the meteorite to Petra as I climbed into the driver's seat and soon we were back on the road and my meeting with Mayor Whately.

Back in the store Jeb and Wombat watched the trio leave and the smile was gone from his face and the light from the old man's eyes.

"Dire straits," the raven cawed.

"I concur old girl that boy is in for some rough times ahead and there is nothing we can do..."

HOST

Two minutes later the car pulled up onto Main Street of the town of Dunwich and a small group of men were gathered near the town hall. This part of town seemed to be in much better condition than the strip mall hinted at and I let out a long breath and felt the stress ease up a bit. I was still nervous as hell about meeting the Mayor even it was the town that time forgot. I had dressed in one of my dad's nicer suits and was thrilled that as we approached I saw that the group were similarly attired.

"Nervous," mom asked.

"To death," I replied and tried to channel my father.

I was going to attack this situation with the mental persona of my dad and hoped that would carry me through; with his ever-present confidence and strong personality with a touch of my laid back nature to give it some balance. I parked and we stepped out and immediately the Mayor strode over to greet us followed two steps behind by the members of the town council. I met him halfway and we shook like old friends.

"Mr. Shaw," the Mayor began.

"Please call me Nick," I said emulating my father.

"Well Nick let me introduce everyone," the Mayor said and soon I was shaking hands with the men who were about to change my future and the future of this quaint little town.

Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,763 Followers