Iron Rain Pt. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,781 Followers

"I feel a real big but coming," she said frowning now.

"You are right, the 'but' is this you can't publish your findings until we discover a place where the coins can be 'unearthed'. This place has been hidden for so very long and I don't feel its right to reveal its existence to the outside world just yet."

"This place is a career making find," she said but then her shoulders slumped. "But I am guessing that this isn't the only location like it and you don't want people knowing about this place until you have found the others, am I correct?"

"Exactly," Nick said and saw her growing smile.

"On one condition, you keep me in the loop as the other sights are located and I get the first crack at them."

"You sign a nondisclosure agreement with that as a clause and we have a deal," Akira added.

"You drive a hard bargain but... oh hell yeah! Do I get to pick my team?" Carol was doing a little dance now.

"You write up a list and give it to Akira and we will see what we can do," Nick said. "Then we can talk funding after I am done here."

"You are really going to remove the obelisk?" Carol asked.

"That's why I came here and I will tell you this much it isn't the only one," he let her know the tip of the iceberg he was tackling.

The trio discussed the terms for this and future digs Nick letting Akira do most of the haggling as he walked over to the trucks and banged on doors to wake up their occupants.

"Send in the engineers," he shouted as the women left the trucks and the best schooled and skilled among the Silent Shadows moved into the temple complex and began assessing the job in front of them.

"Mr. Shaw, Nick I have to say something," it was Carol Nichols standing behind him watching the entire female crew go to work.

"And that is Ms. Nichols," he replied smiling.

"In all my years I have never run into any 'man' willing to give so many talented women a break like this," she said the emotion choking off her voice for a long moment. "It means a lot to me and I can honestly say it means a lot to them as well. Thank you."

"I try to give everyone a break Carol, that is what is behind everything I do I like to think." He said turning to face her and saw the tracks her tears had left on her cheeks. "Don't cry, get to work and show me I didn't make a mistake in choosing you for this job."

"I won't disappoint you Nick," she said and gave him a wink and was gone.

September 9, 2012

Nick was examining the other buildings that the sand storm had revealed when he heard the 'crunch crunch' of work boots behind him.

"Mr. Shaw," said a voice with a distinct Latin accent. "We have a problem."

"Hopefully it is not insurmountable," he said turning and paused seeing the gorgeous Brazilian woman standing before him. "Damn..."

She actually blushed and waited for Nick to collect himself before she continued.

"Sorry, what can I do to help," he said after taking in her beauty.

"We need to turn off the waterfall device before we can continue but I have never seen such a mechanism in all my days nobody has."

"Show me," Nick said now all business.

She led him into the temple and directly to an opening in the eastern wall and up a flight of stairs that led to the uppermost level of the temple. The higher they went the louder the sound of running water became. They exited the stairwell and into an identical chamber as the ground floor except for the circular hole in the floor where the water fell onto the obelisk far below as well as the irrigation trough that ran from the center to the rear of the chamber. The engineer led him to the back and to the device that was behind the water flowing up from a deep stone shaft. The woman squatted next to the metal and crystal machine and shrugged.

"Somehow this thing is drawing water from a deep cistern holding god only knows how much water and directing the flow along the trough to the hole and then onto the stone. Then the overflow from the pool is diverted back into the cistern forming a complete circuit."

"And turning off the device is the only way to remove the stone," Nick asked.

"Well no, it's the machine sir that needs to be removed and studied. Do you have any idea what this thing could do for us?" she asked and he just shook his head. "We could eliminate the need for fossil fuels and rewrite the entire physics understanding of gravity. That's just the beginning..."

"So you have spent three days trying to figure out how to shut this thing off?"

"Um yeah," she replied sheepishly.

"Okay let me take a look, but if we can't turn it off by day's end we are going to divert the water flow and remove the obelisk understand?" Nick said just a hint of anger in his voice.

"Sorry Mr. Shaw," she said lowering her eyes.

"Call me Nick, now let's take a look," he said watching the smile return to her face.

"Louisa... Louisa Mendoza," she replied.

Nick sat cross legged on the floor of the chamber and slipped his hands into his pockets and felt the matrix crystal's cool smooth sides and hit upon an idea.

"Louisa it's been what like four hours be a dear and grab me a power bar while I try to wrap my head around this."

"Sure Nick, I'll be right back."

Nick took out the crystal and whispered to it.

"Wakey wakey time to earn your keep," he said hoping she could help.

The avatar manifested as she had before and he was still trying to determine if she was patterned after an Old One or someone else.

"What can I do for you Master," she cooed.

"Can you alter your clothing to match that of what the other women are wearing?" he asked.

"Oh that's easy..."

"Do it," he said interrupting her not knowing how long Louisa would be.

With a slight shimmering her clothing faded and was then replaced by the khaki top and shorts the rest of the crew was wearing.

"Excellent," he praised her. "Now tell me about this device."

"Oh this Master is a gravitic pump that draws water from the lake below and feeds the stone."

"Gravitic pump, wow, okay do you know how to turn it off?" he asked.

"Yes but why," she asked alarmed.

"We can't safely remove the obelisk if it is soaking wet and the falling water will interfere with our equipment."

"Ah, why not use the pump to move the obelisk Master," she asked.

"What, it can do that?"

"Yes, very easy but there is a portable machine you can use that was left behind by the builders for maintenance purposes of course."

"Explain," Nick said eyes growing wider by the minute.

"When this place was erected the builders used hand held machines to cut, shape and move the stones required for the temple as well as the city."

"So it wasn't demons of the air after all," he remarked.

"No, but you can see how simple minds might get them confused. Shall I show you where the machine is located Master?"

"Yes, um what do I call you besides guardian?" Nick asked. "We started off kind of well I never got your name."

"Master is kind to ask for my name, they called me Abraxxa in the Long Years."

"Long years," he asked. "I don't understand that term."

"Ah, the Long Years was the thousand solar cycles it took to discover, plan and build this great city."

"What was your purpose during the Long Years Abraxxa," he asked finding her more appealing by the minute.

"I was the Architect or Master Builder of this place," she said humbly. "It was my purpose to guide the workers and keep things flowing smoothly."

"When did you become the guardian of the temple," Nick asked and saw the sorrow on her face.

"I was never meant to be the guardian Master, I was... my crystal was discarded in the water like so much trash!" now she was weeping openly and he took her into his arms.

"Would you be willing to share your vast knowledge with me and aid in a new renaissance of building and engineering?" he asked and her look was radiant as she wiped the digital tears from her holographic cheeks.

"Really, you would give lowly me a new purpose?"

"Everyone needs a purpose Abraxxa," he smiled. "Now show me where that machine is and let's get things moving along shall we?"

"Oh yes Master!"

So they both rose to their feet and he let her lead the way down the steps to the ground floor. Then she guided him to one of the four doors that were set at the cardinal directions. The northern door opened with some protestations and Louisa caught up with the pair carrying a power bar in one hand and bottle of water in the other.

"Nick, where are you going and who is... oh my god it's her!" Louisa exclaimed.

"We are going to retrieve something to help us in our endeavors and what do you mean it's her?" Nick explained as they walked down the stairs leading below ground.

"Haven't you been to the city square and seen the statue? It's her, weathered and faded but that woman is the spitting image of the goddess of this place. How is that possible?" Louisa queried as she followed Nick and Abraxxa downwards.

"It's a very long story, if I get a chance I will fill you in," he said to her over his shoulder. "But for now just follow and let us see what we can see."

The stairway led down at least one hundred feet or more and opened into the first of many small chambers below the main floor and the pool. Abraxxa led them through a series of small rooms until she reached the one that was sealed.

"Beyond that door lays the machine I told you about," she said leaving off Master since Louisa was present.

"How do we open it," Nick asked but Abraxxa was strangely silent.

Louisa approached it and looked it over with a keen eye and nodded. Without a single spoken word she pushed with all her might until the door sank in two inches into the wall and then with a soft grinding sound it slid into the wall revealing the room's interior. Time had not been kind to most of the contents of the room and Nick wisely forbade them from touching anything but the device they were seeking. Carol would have his hide if the contents were disturbed before she had a look at them.

"The leather pouch on the far wall holds what you seek," Abraxxa said pointing to a dust covered relic with a long leather strap attached and at first glance could pass for backpack or large purse.

Nick slipped into the chamber and maneuvered around the ceramic containers and managed to retrieve the pouch without disturbing anything. He was ready for the leather to disintegrate in his hands but surprisingly it was cool and supple despite untold centuries of laying here untouched. The trio left the room and immediately sought out Professor Nichols and informed her of their find. She chose two other women to follow her down to the chamber to itemize and map out the contents. Nick found a quiet corner and lifted the leather flap and peered into the confines of the pouch and gingerly lifted up the alien gadget. His first impression was of a dark scepter in the shape of a question mark with the dot located just below the upper curve. It was an elegant thing with six solar flames protruding from the outer edge of the upper curve. They appeared sharp enough to inflict some nasty cutting damage. Perhaps it doubled as a weapon Nick thought. The large blue diamond, about the size and shape of a ping pong ball, which hung below the inner edge of the curve, appeared held in place by fine dark wire spun in nine web-like strands. There was also a large cabochon ruby about the size of a man's thumb set into the handle of the thing right where the curve ended and the straight part of the device began. The thing was cold to the touch and made of some sort of dark material that wasn't stone or metal but had properties of both. Finally there was the gorgeous texture of the scepter which was done in a gleaming diamond shaped scales and gave it an almost organic quality.

"How does it work," Nick asked and Abraxxa who looked from the device to him and back again.

"We must see if it accepts you or not," she said softly. "If you are compatible it will function if not it will remain inert."

"How long until we know if it is going to work," Nick asked just as he felt a strange warmth come from the thing. "It's getting warm is that a good sign?"

"A very good sign Nick, it means that it has woken up and ready to do your bidding," Abraxxa said.

"Woken up, what exactly does that mean," Louisa asked.

"I am still learning your language but put as simply as I can the device is a living machine." She said still hunting for the right words to describe what Nick held in his hand. "Ah I have it... Organic Technology."

"That makes no sense," Louisa said. "You can't grow machines."

"Can we discus philosophy later... how does this thing work?" Nick asked getting annoyed as sweat began to form in the palm of his hand from holding this 'thing'.

"Look at the obelisk and think it lifting up and out of the pool the device will do the rest," Abraxxa said smiling.

"Okay got it, Louisa I need you to tell everyone to clear the temple and have them get the semi ready for the obelisk come back in once its ready." He said not wanting to have to lift the stone relic more than once.

Louisa was shouting and clearing the temple and telling them to get the semi trailer ready for the obelisk. Then she was running outside and shouting some more. The longest five minutes of Nick's life came and went as Louisa finally returned and gave him the nod.

"Okay here goes," he said unsure what was going to happen.

He cleared his mind and felt a strange 'sensation' having no other way to describe the connection to the ancient apparatus in his hand. Nick focused on the obelisk and imagined it lifting slowly from the pool and there came a dull thrum of power from the floor and a deep vibration that swiftly followed. The diamond and ruby both began to spill radiance from deep within giving off a collective violet aura from Nick's fist. Waves came from the pool as the obelisk actually lifted from its resting place. After a short while the bottom of the obelisk cleared the water and then Nick imagined it moving into a horizontal position and as if gripped by some giant fist it assumed the desired position. Okay out the door we go Nick thought and he managed to walk slowly towards the exit and the pillar of black stone followed after. He was so very grateful that someone had backed the trailer of the semi up to the stairs of the temple. There was a collective gasp as the relic was struck by the light of day and Nick directed it ever so carefully to the bed of the trailer and when it was properly aligned he lowered it down as gently as he could. There was a groan of complaint from the metal as it accepted the full weight of the obelisk but it held and none of the tires blew out. With a heavy sigh Nick released his hold on the artifact and sat down on the stairs catching his breath. The radiance died at once and the scepter grew cold immediately.

"What the hell was that," Carol Nichols asked voicing the concern of everyone around.

"Technology advanced enough is indistinguishable from magic," Nick muttered.

"So that was how this place was built?" Carol asked and Nick nodded.

"Okay ladies let's get this thing boxed up and ready to move," Akira was barking orders now and the disciplined Silent Shadows did her bidding.

"Akira I need four large crates without their lids on as soon as you can manage," Nick ordered.

"Where do you need them," Akira asked.

"In the temple by the pool," he said.

"Consider it done Kouryou," she purred.

"What are you doing Nick," Carol was standing in front of him and not looking happy.

"I am taking the coins with me as well," he said and saw the color race to her face. "Before you lose your fucking mind let me explain. If desert raiders somehow find this place after we leave do you really want them to have access to that much wealth just to be melted down?" he asked and saw the expression on her face. "I didn't think so. I will have someone assigned to photograph each and every coin and we will get you high resolution prints for your scrutiny okay?"

"You are absolutely right, they are too vulnerable especially if someone sees you leave with the obelisk," the redhead agreed.

Nick walked inside and once the crates were arranged around the pool he used the device to lift each and every coin up, out and into the crates until they were literally brimming with gold, silver and what may be platinum. He found the longer he used the scepter the easier it became. When he imagined all the coins out of the pool and in the crates he found the device taking over and selecting whole batches of coins to be moved at one time. Nick liked the feel of the power of the scepter more and more by the second. The crates were nailed shut and he lifted them into the back of the vehicle he had driven. The crates and the wooden shell covering the obelisk were marked with diplomatic seals to keep them from being opened once they reached the port where a freighter was anchored.

Once the lifting was done he looked at the scepter and wished the sharp flame shaped blades weren't sticking out and with a loud 'snickt' they were suddenly flush with the outer edge of the top of the device. Then Nick tucked the scepter into his belt and walked over to Akira and took her by the arm. He walked her away from everyone while the rest went back to work at the temple complex.

"What is it Kouryou," Akira asked once they were clear of anyone hearing their conversation.

"We can't let anyone find this place and that means leaving no one behind," he replied.

"You want me to..."

"Just render her ready for transportation only is all. Yes she is going to bitch to high heaven and low hell but it is a necessity. The coins will just have to do for now. Those alone will be a career maker for her."

"As you wish Kouryou, and you are right she will not be happy." She said as she turned to leave and follow his orders.

Suddenly Nick's knees gave out without warning and he nearly face planted in the dry packed earth.

"NICK!" Akira cried out and was at his side immediately.

"Damn, gravity works," he muttered as he looked around a little getting his bearings. "Iram?"

"Yes Kouryou we are in Iram are you alright," Akira asked helping him to his feet.

"I am just a little out of sorts, I need a place to sit and meditate someplace quiet and private. Then we are leaving this place."

"As you wish Master," she said

Nick regained his strength quickly and found an unused building and entered alone to meditate. The daylight faded and the moon slowly rose and still he did not emerge. It wasn't until near noon of the next day did he make his appearance and he looked to be in very good spirits and with a nod the entire squad of Silent Shadows and a reluctant archaeologist left that desolate place and left little trace that they were ever there.

The Dreamer in the Depths:

September 13, 2012

The freighter Damocles entered international waters and was heading for the United States specifically the docks of a small east coast city, Arkham Massachusetts. It shouldn't have surprised Nick to discover that the new location for the Iram obelisk was not terribly far from home. Somewhere between Dunwich and Northfield there is a house, well more like a Victorian mansion nestled between three hills within a cluster of poplar and red oak. It is a queer old thing that has no master and knows no guests. With ivy growing over the exterior and gilded fountains in the rear perhaps it is the pervasive silence that causes the nerves to fray and the eye to see things in the corner that aren't always there. Of course that means that sometimes there are things there that we weren't meant to see. It is to this lonely place that Nick Shaw and his Silent Shadows arrive in late September of the current year and set into place the great black obelisk that once resided in the lost city of Iram. Lost but now found and now abandoned to the desert winds and eternal sky. Here it is that Nick will set up his residence until it is time to leave for the sea once more and find the last obelisk and confront the Eternal Master. But that time is not yet. He has unfinished business and once that is completed well one thing at a time, yes?

Lost Boy
Lost Boy
5,781 Followers