It's a Dead Man's World Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Evil Alpaca
Evil Alpaca
3,668 Followers

[[ Will you be sticking around for the Festival of Stars? You and Veronica? ]] her mother asked, digging her elbow into her husband before he could attempt to object. [[ Of course, the rest of your team is welcome to stay as well. ]]

[[ Mom . . . ]] Eliza started to whine.

[[ It's only a few weeks away, ]] Evlidone said, [[ and you've missed the last fifty of them. It would mean the world to your mother . . . and me . . .if you would attend. ]]

Eliza wondered what was up. The Festival of Stars was a ceremonial affair that signified the end of the Terran year. There was a feast that generally was open to family and friends, followed by a traditional dance and an exchange of secrets between loved ones. But when the Prime Minister threw a Festival of Stars ceremony, it tended to be an ostentatious and grand event. [[ Dad . . . if I go, it HAS to be with Veronica. ]]

Evlidone sighed. He knew she would make that demand. [[ I would not ask that you be with someone you didn't care about. But . . . just for the sake of tradition, conduct yourself like a lady. ]] He sipped his drink and then muttered under his breath, [[ Assuming you still remember how. ]]

[[ I heard that, ]] Eliza replied.

Alyidana, however, had the final trump card. [[ And think about it . . . you would greatly upset a number of high society people, but they wouldn't be able to do a THING about it. ]]

Eliza mulled it over. [[ I'll talk to Veronica . . . ]]

--------------- -----------------

A few weeks later . . .

--------------- -----------------

"I have GOT to see this!" Boomer said, sitting anxiously in the entryway for the house while waiting for the women to make their appearances. Every member of Hybrid Security had chosen to stick around for the Festival of Stars. Partially, they were nervous about splitting up while there were still pockets of the Swords of Cleansing about. Partially, they wanted to see Eliza, queen of jumpsuits and casual attire, sporting a dress.

Wyrm grinned. He had to admit, the idea was enticing. He had never seen his boss in a dress, though he had OFTEN fantasized about her in lingerie. Of course he felt a little foolish himself. He had never worn formal robes before, but he and the rest of the men found themselves in just such a fashion predicament. Apparently, robes were ALL the rage on Terra. They looked like something ancient Japanese warriors might have worn. But they were silky and comfortable.

"Woah!" said Dennis as the ladies finally came into view. They were all wearing similar gowns, namely off-the-shoulder and elegant with a slight flare at the bottom. His wife was wearing one in white, and her hair was in a partial bun with strands of hair cascading down over each shoulder. She was as beautiful as the day he married her.

Kalinicia was wearing a similar dress in green, and she looked dazzling. She immediately attached herself to Wyrm's arm. Vicky wore a blue gown and came out with Terillia, who was dressed in a purple gown with a large section in back tastefully removed to accommodate her wings.

But when Veronica and Eliza walked out, hand in hand, time stopped. Veronica was dressed in gold, cut a little low in front to give a tasteful display of cleavage, and her curled and blonde hair fell from her head like well-orchestrated chaos. And Eliza was dressed in black; the gorgeous gown hugging her trim waist and slim hips as it flowed elegantly to the floor. She was even wearing jewelry, namely a necklace of gold and diamonds and a matching set of bracelets. She looked for all the world like a fairy-tale princess.

"Well," she said to her troops as they gawked awkwardly at her, "my parents and the Prime Minister are awaiting us. Let's go piss off some aristocrats!"

---------------- ------

At the party . . .

---------------- ------

Eliza was sitting at a long table with her father on one side and Veronica on the other. Boomer was still talking about how confused he was that vampires consumed something besides blood. Kalinicia was trying to reassure him that while blood was the most efficient way for her kind to obtain nourishment, it wasn't the only way. The Festival of Stars was an excuse for her people to "indulge" themselves. Eliza noticed that she seemed to stay close to Wyrm, no matter who they were talking to.

{{ You enjoyed that, didn't you? }} her father sent telepathically with a hint of whimsy.

Eliza grinned. When she had arrived, everyone in her troop had been introduced separately by the herald, except for Dennis and Allyson. Only married couples were ever introduced together. The arrival of Hybrid security and their "controversial" leaders had ruffled many feathers and raised many eyebrows, but no one would dare be outright rude. Instead, all eyes had been trained on each of them, waiting for the slightest impropriety on their part so they crowd could have something to talk about. Veronica and Eliza were the last two of their party that were introduced and although they came in separately, Veronica waited for Eliza to be called and then took her lover's hand, and the two walked straight through the room. The indignation subtly displayed was delicious!

{{ I would just like to point out that I've been behaving myself, }} she replied. {{ The feast is delicious by the way. }}

Evlidone shook his head, but he had to admit that he was enjoying himself. He had never thought he would share this celebration with his entire family. He glanced down and saw that his daughter was holding hands with Ms. Veronica Adams again. 'With my . . . extended . . . family?' he thought. He felt a kiss on his cheek, and turned to face his wife. While he had been watching Eliza, Alyidana had been watching him.

[[ Sir, ]] said an approaching Aruthis, [[ the . . . entertainment . . . has arrived. ]]

Suddenly, Evlidone was a bit more serious. [[ And the Prime Minister is safely away? ]]

[[ Yes sir. And the crowd has been suitably . . . diluted. ]]

[[ Dad, what's going on? ]] Eliza said, not caring if she interrupted. [[ I've been watching guards usher guests into the side rooms and . . . ]]

Evlidone placed a finger to his lips. [[ Shh. ]] He turned to Alyidana. [[ Dear, would you mind following Aruthis to the antechamber? ]] He turned back to Eliza. [[ You might want to go too. This shouldn't take but a moment. ]]

Eliza looked at him, leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. She wasn't going anywhere.

Evlidone sighed. [[ Why can't you just . . . never mind. We have a small band of acrobats signed up to perform at the party. Our intelligence believes that at least three Swords of Cleansing assassins have joined the troupe, hoping to make an attempt on my life. ]]

[[ Evlidone! ]] Alyidana exclaimed as she rose to leave. [[ Are you mad?!? How could you allow them into . . . ]]

[[ Because they are desperate and the target is tempting, ]] Evlidone replied casually. [[ And because I have everything under control. I learned this trick from listening to my daughter's legends, ]] he added. He felt a sudden rush of pride.

Eliza turned to Terillia. {{ Take Vicky, Wyrm, Kalinicia and . . . ]] Eliza watched as her ENTIRE team leaned back in THEIR chairs and shook their heads.

Wyrm was the first to speak. "Nuh-uh boss. No one gets left behind anymore. We know the risks, and we're standing beside you."

Eliza looked incredulous. "Vicky and Wyrm are non-combatants and the rest of the humans are non-magical. This isn't . . . Wyrm, at least take Kalinicia and . . ."

"I will stay. My grandfather would not run, so neither will I," the young vampire said firmly.

She turned exasperatedly to her father. [[ They refuse to leave. They're being impossibly stubborn! ]]

Evlidone smiled. [[ Now you understand what I had to deal with being your father for the last century, ]] he said, then turned to his wife. [[ Please, just go with the Captain and . . . ]]

[[ Are you sure our daughter and her companions are safe here? ]] Alyidana asked.

[[ Yes, but . . . ]]

[[ 'But' nothing. I will stay. This is our first night out as a family in over half a century, and I'm not going to have it broken up by an assassination attempt. ]] Eliza's mother sat back down, leaving Captain Aruthis looking very bewildered. Did anyone in that family actually listen to anyone else?

A group of men and women in brightly colored costumes was let in the front gate. Eliza noticed that the remaining crowd seemed to be composed of very calm people . . . probably undercover guards. The acrobats started their performance, and Eliza watched them quite carefully. She looked for hesitation in their movements, as that might signify someone new to the group. She looked for someone who paid too much attention to the head table. She was confused as to why her father would let this charade go on, but she reminded herself that he didn't get where he was by accident.

When the attack finally came, it was actually a bit anti-climactic. Three of the tumblers rushed forward, their eyes harboring a fanatical madness. Eliza raised her hands as if to cast a shield, but her father waved her off. The assassins seem to cast a burrowing spell that would eat its way through any shielding, followed by a couple of nasty spells that rearranged the targets internal organs. But the burrowing spell was "reflected" back, causing it to eat the other attack spells in its wake. During the attack, the remaining acrobats, who seemed horribly confused, were ushered back out the door they had come in through. Then, shimmering walls of haze seemed to appear around the attackers, surrounding them like a cage. They realized they were trapped and began casting frantically, trying to find a way out. One of them looked backward and saw Chancellor Valar standing by the entrance, maintaining the shield spell. But then they heard a single set of hands clapping, and they all turned their attention forward.

Evlidone was smiling as he gave his would-be dispatchers a round of applause. [[ It was a . . . pretty . . . attempt. I was hoping for better, but I shall give you points for effort. ]] The venerable Security Director stood up and faced the assassins. [[ Do you have anything to say for yourselves? ]]

[[ You piece of shit, ]] one of them started. [[ You think that you've won? The Swords of Cleansing will be reborn and we will kill you and that disgusting abomination sitting next to you! ]] he added, looking directly at Eliza.

[[ You would lead the vampires, the greatest of all races, down the road of racial dilution. You . . . ]]

[[ What I meant was, did you have anything USEFUL to say? ]] Evlidone interrupted. He strode down the stairs to where the captives were caged. The containment area was about ten feet wide by twenty feet in length, and stretched from the floor to the ceiling. [[ Valar, please open this wall and let me inside. ]]

Valar looked stunned. The entire room had gone dead quiet.

[[ Sir, what are you . . . ]] Captain Aruthis started.

[[ Chancellor Valar, I ORDER you to let me inside, effective . . . ]] Evlidone stopped. His daughter had appeared at his side.

[[ Dad, I don't know what you're up to, but I'm not letting you risk your life! You're too important! ]]

[[ Eliza, I know what I'm doing. Please . . . just believe in me. ]]

Eliza stopped. [[ If I even THINK you don't have control, I'm coming in after you. ]]

[[ Agreed. ]] He looked up. [[ Valar? ]]

Valar stared at him, then a smile crossed his lips. A door appeared in one side of the cage, and Security Director Evlidone Msabdteelfinclor stepped into the lions' den. Almost immediately, the confused assassins attacked.

As the general guests came back into the room and Eliza's team (and her mother) looked on, an ass-whooping was taking place. But it was the assassins on the receiving end. Eliza had forgotten how adept of a sorcerer her father was, but he was putting on quite a display. One of the assassins was actually embedded about a foot into the ceiling, while another was attempting to extinguish the flames that had been ignited in his clothing. The third attacker had just had his fourth and fifth spells absorbed and negated respectively, then made a blind attempt to bum-rush Evlidone.

Eliza snarled. [[ Valar! ]] she shouted. Another door in the cage opened and she sprung forward. She moved with such speed that the on-looking crowd gasped in surprise. Her father apparently had been planning on casting something against the man, but stopped after his daughter buried her shoulder into the assassin's midsection in a full-tilt charge. The man doubled-over as he flew back into the far wall, blood leaking from his mouth as he fell to the ground.

[[ That was HARDLY ladylike, ]] Evlidone said. [[ If you ruin that dress, your mother will NEVER let you hear the end of it. ]]

Eliza checked the dress and, except for a bit of dirt on the front, it was fine. She brushed herself off.

Evlidone looked at the smoldering but still breathing attacker. The man realized that his comrades had been permanently removed from the field of battle, and he started to whimper. Evlidone shook his head. [[ The Swords of Cleansing are finished. I hereby place you under arrest for treason against the Prime Minister and the nation of Devlia, assault, illegal use of combat magic within the Palace Grounds, . . . ]]

Eliza went back up to her seat while the remaining attacker was taken into custody, all the while being charged with a myriad of additional crimes.

With his daughter distracted, Evlidone turned and kicked the prisoner in the crotch, then leaned over and whispered in the would-be-assassin's ear, [[ And that 'disgusting abomination' is my daughter, you son of a bitch, ]] he growled. He stood up and saw Valar nodding his approval. The two exchanged a smile. No one fucked with Evlidone's family.

-------------- -------------------------------

Back at her parent's residence . . .

-------------- -------------------------------

"I don't get it," Wyrm said as soon as they crossed the threshold. "Why put his ass on the line like that?"

Eliza grinned. Her parents would probably be tied up at the palace for a while, so she alerted the house staff to take a break. Then she turned to her friends.

"He was never in any danger," she said. "They used all their big mojo in their opening gambit. They were no match for him in a straight-up fight. I keep thinking of him as 'old,' but he's still young for a sorcerer of his power. This wasn't about catching a couple of rebels. It was about making a statement."

"He made an impression," Dennis said, pulling up a seat and pulling his wife into his lap. "He left an impression in the ceiling, the floor . . ."

"That's NOT what I meant," Eliza replied.

Thug raised his head. {{ The main Swords of Cleansing force had been destroyed, leaving only fringe groups . . . isolated pockets of resistance. But those pockets could gain numbers and return to prominence if they felt they could still win, }} the troll thought.

Eliza nodded. Her friend was much more observant than many people gave him credit for. "This was a very public and very thorough beating. With no single leader to unite them, they NEEDED this attack to work. But if was a dismal failure."

"It's going to be hard or impossible for them to convince any new recruits that they can win after such a decisive failure," Terillia said. "This is . . . the straw that broke the camel's spine."

Vicky grinned. Her lover was cute when she mis-translated.

"My father knew that a single public display could save us against years of guerilla warfare," Eliza finished.

"Well, I think I know where you got your 'sneakiness' from," Allyson said.

"Maybe," Eliza replied. She looked over at Veronica. "You know, I never DID get to dance with you," she said, pulling the beautiful blonde woman into her arms. "Wyrm, could you hit the music?"

Wyrm turned to his laptop and brought up a playlist. The first song was slow, which was perfect for Eliza. The members of Hybrid Security watched as their boss and her girlfriend giggled like young girls as the floated across the floor with uncanny grace.

"And she can dance too," Allyson chuckled. She got to her feet and pulled her husband with her. Vicky and Terillia joined them on the dance floor, and Kalinicia gently took Wyrm by the hand. After the established couples had finished the first dance, they paired off with others, bringing Snake, Boomer and Bear onto the floor as well. Thug and Tiny rolled their eyes, then wandered off to find something to stare at. Trolls didn't "do" dancing.

"That was a pretty good feast," Wyrm said, sitting down after several dances. Kalinicia sat with him. "Do all these 'Festival of Stars' end with a fight?"

"No," Eliza replied. "Usually, it ends with an exchange of secrets. It's sort of like a 'whispering,' but instead of sharing something no one knows with the departed, you share a wish with a friend or loved one. It's sort of like our version of a New Year's Eve kiss on Earth."

"I think that's a fine idea," Allyson said.

Bear turned to Snake and Boomer. "Dudes, I so love you guys!" The three of them shared a laugh and then wandered off to find some alcohol.

Allyson whispered into her husband's ear. "I want to have a family," she said. Dennis looked shocked, so she continued. "I don't want to quit yet and it doesn't have to be right away, but . . . "

Dennis lifted his wife off her feet and held her close. "I love you," he told her.

"Not much of a secret," she said, "but it'll do." She took him by the hand and led him back to their bedroom.

Vicky and Terillia had removed themselves to a corner of the room. "I think I see you as more than a friend," Vicky said. "I think I kind of love you," she said.

Terillia blushed dark blue and her heart raced. "I feel the same way. I hope that doesn't mean you are not interested in bringing in additional women, though. I was contacted by two friends from my homeland before we left for the Festival. They wish to visit us on Earth so that you might impart your sexual wisdom upon them."

Vicky grinned. "Are they hot? I mean . . . attractive?"

"Absolutely!" Terillia said. "I thought you might enjoy them, but I wish to remain with you for a great deal of time."

Vicky kissed Terillia long and slow. "You are perfect for me." She grabbed her young lover's hand and led her towards the stairs that led up one of the towers.

Kalinicia was looking incredibly nervous. "Wyrm . . . I . . ."

"It's okay," he interrupted. "If you need to be mad at me or . . ."

"No," she replied. "I do not blame anyone for what happened to my grandfather. He seems to have trusted you all, and I have come to understand why. What I wanted to say was . . . Wyrm, I have never known intimacy with a man. I . . . I was wondering if you might be with me today. If I am to experience your world, I wish to start by experiencing your touch."

Wyrm took a deep breath. "Are you sure?"

Kalinicia looked at him and lowered her silky-soft lips to his. After a few moments, she ended the kiss. "I am very sure." She took him by the arm and the two walked towards Wyrm's room.

"Well, alone at last," Eliza said. She was a bit nervous herself.

"Lover, I'm glad you and your father are talking again. I'm glad you let me be a part of this," Veronica added, looking around at the splendor that was Evlidone's house. "I don't know if Christmas at my parents will be able to live up to this," she added with a smile, "but it might."

"Veronica . . ."

"Yes?"

"Will you marry me?"

Veronica's eyes shot open and her lips trembled. Suddenly, there didn't seem to be enough oxygen in the room. "Muh . . . marry you?"

"There is no chance I want to spend the rest of my life with anyone but you," Eliza said. "You are my equal, my love and my lover. And since we are neither human nor vampire, we can make up our own culture . . . our own rules, and . . ."

Evil Alpaca
Evil Alpaca
3,668 Followers